Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Herman Cain would be heartbroken to see you missed the accent in Pokémaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

This has the first 35 in static vertical format if that helps you at all. Also goddamn, I forgot how great these were.

I love On The Campaign Trail and have recommended it to several friends over the years. I didn't realize there are more than the 35 static ones, I'm going on a .gif binge tonight.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's no doubt that perception is huge. No one talked about Romney's age (65) and it was the main thing on everyone's minds with McCain (72). McCain looked very old because of his cautious movements and slow speech, which were partly from age and partly from being tortured in Vietnam. Romney and Hillary both look and act more youthful than they are. Of course, if Romney runs for president again, it's unlikely that anyone will criticize his age, and pointing that out will give Hillary an easy defense since she's seven months younger than Mitt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ReindeerF posted:

Dude, man or woman, she'll be a hair under 70 when the time comes. That ain't middle aged until Ray Kurzweil starts dancing the singularity shuffle. I mean they'll beat her up for being too old and mentally ill and all that, no doubt, and she'll get more guff than, say Biden, who is even older, but let's not pretend she's middle-aged.

Unless you mean she's from Middle Earth, which is possible.

She's a senior, no doubt, but she doesn't look or sound old like McCain. I don't think it'll be successful at all for the Republicans to say a 69-year-old woman is too old to run the country while praising Reagan and commanding a huge majority of the senior citizen vote.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I demand the Joe Biden becomes the first three-term Vice President, and god willing a fourth term.

I agree, the man is just perfect for the vice-presidential role. Both as a statesman and as an assassination shield, since even a crazed gunman wouldn't want President Joe.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ninjasaurus posted:

Carson is clearly a joke candidate and I'm cynically assuming he's just trying to raise his profile by running and doesn't actually expect to get the nomination.

Another Bloomberg article posted today quoted a Clinton insider as saying a Jeb Bush/Rob Portman ticket could make a worthy opponent to Hillary. Thoughts?

Jeb Bush is one of the most credible Republicans for a run right now. He governed a state with a large Hispanic population and is wife is Mexican. Portman's son is gay and the Senator supports marriage equality. These are both a serious problem with the evangelical part of the base. A Bush/Portman ticket would be potent in the general because they're economic conservatives with records on social issues that attract moderates. The issue is that the primary voters consider them both RINOs even worse than Romney.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sullat posted:

In the same way that paper makes a worthy opponent to scissors, maybe.

Why do you think that? The odds favour Hillary in a matchup against Bush, but he's one of the least bad candidates the Republicans have. His only problems are his poor governorship, ludicrous economic ideas, and brother, which are things the voters will learn to ignore.

skaboomizzy posted:

Jeb Bush is hell-bent on making education a for-profit enterprise, so I'm sure that'll give him brownie points with the Tea Party lunatics.

Yes, but he said illegal immigration can be an act of love. Of course, that's not an angle Hillary will use to attack him, so that'll be a millstone during the primary but not if he reaches the general. Of course, he's backpedaled lately with strong opposition to Obama's new immigration executive order.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Internet Webguy posted:

I think Romney being normal is his entire problem. He's too normal. He's aggressively normal.

No he's not, he's bland. A normal person has some strong interests, a few vices, and some powerful emotions. Romney never seemed to show any of that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Aliquid posted:

By that CNN poll I'm seeing 45% for the moderate/business wing of the party (Romney, Bush, Christie, Ryan, Kasich), and 43% for Everyone Else. IMO this sends up huge warning flags for those of us hoping for a crazy candidate, as the clowncar vote will likely split and the businessfolk won't fight it out too much, being more likely to coalesce around a single candidate.

I just realized how possible it is that Romney will lose to the first black President ever and the first woman President ever. What a way to go down in history.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ninjasaurus posted:

Somehow I don't think Romney is today's Nixon.

One other thing I probably should tell you because if we don't they'll probably be saying this about me too, we did get something—a gift—after the election. A man down in Texas heard Ann on the radio mention the fact that her multiple sclerosis would like to be treated. And, believe it or not, the day before we left on this campaign trip we got a message from Union Station in Baltimore saying they had a package for us. We went down to get it. You know what it was?

It was a little Oldenburg horse in a crate that he'd sent all the way from Texas. Milk chocolate brown. And our little son — Craig, the 16-year-old—named it Rafalca. And you know, the kids, like all kids, love the horse and I just want to say this right now, that regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

A lot of things contributed. LBJ was going to run for a third term until it became obvious that Vietnam would sink him. He didn't withdraw until March of '68. After that, RFK was supposed to win the nomination, until he got shot. Then there was the chaos at the convention. And finally, there was an 11th hour peace deal that the Nixon campaign scuttled by sending someone to the embassy and promising even more concessions if Nixon were to win. Turns out that by "concessions", he meant "bombs", but po-tat-OH, po-TA-to.

I know that it happened, and it still astonishes me as the most blatant treason by a Presidential candidate in American history. Chennault urged a Communist group to continue shooting American soldiers in order to help Nixon win the election.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gutierrez or Castro, depending upon what weakness in her narrative she needs to counter.

Gutierrez is from Illinois, and he's known for his speaking skills but lacks any notable power. Julian Castro seems more likely since he's secretary of HUD and obviously has ambitions. What do you think might lead Hillary to pick Gutierrez as her running mate?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If scenario does not work, move on to fifth tier: Nixon

Governor Jay Nixon of Missouri? That man is 7 billionth tier, the corpse of Osama bin Laden would be a better VP pick than him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, unless the situation calls for a white male and Webb is found with a live boy or dead girl, Dean goes Munch, and Emanuel can't be used, in which case Nixon is the last one left alive.

I can't see it happening. Nixon is too tied up with the Ferguson unrest, he would only slightly gain votes among old whites and cost millions of votes from African-Americans and young whites. He is the last Democrat you'd want on the ticket. He'd reinforce the narrative that young people shouldn't bother voting and basically be a worst-case scenario. I think the only situation Hillary would pick Jay Nixon is if the 15th Amendment somehow got revoked.

SedanChair posted:

Why, are you a democrat or something? what the gently caress for

He's the kind of democrat that's actually in charge of the Democratic Party.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're right on this SedanChair. You're correct.

You know the time between the first black congressmen elected and the second? Yeah, gonna take as long for a black man to get back to executive power in a non-token manner.

You're right that black people will get left out of this election, but it's not an election for Democrats to court the racist vote. That strategy wouldn't work, because whites for whom that's a big issue won't be voting for Hillary in 2016 no matter who she picks. The racists on the right and the social justice people on the left aren't going to flip parties in 2016, they'll look at the candidates and decide whether or not to stay home. It's up to each party to turn out that segment of their base, not to capture the segment from the other party.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SedanChair posted:

They're one of the most illustrious families in the history of public life. And since Dubya was the most successful politician in their line, I guess that has quite a bit to do with my perception. (?)

Lil' Bush was a TV show.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SedanChair posted:

I just realized if Jeb Bush was running Dubya could be his campaign manager :stare:

Ohhhhh shiiiiiit

Were were robbed of the Dubya v. Bubba head-to-head in 2000, now it's time for redemption.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fade5 posted:

Seriously, the news networks actually reported on this when Santorum was the front-runner for a while.:allears:

"Santorum Surges As Romney Comes In Number Two" is a headline that may never be topped.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Ready for Hillary" and "Ready for Romney" seem like stupid ways to reinforce the notion that a candidate is the establishment pick. Although Hillary got scooped by an underdog, whereas Romney got nominated last time by being the establishment candidate. I guess he's hoping Jeb won't become the inevitable guy this time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's all name recognition. After one of Romney's aides swore at reporters at a Polish military cemetery, Romney went up in the polls among Poles because the incident was great for his name recognition.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

shadow puppet of a posted:

My favourite Mitt annecdote from the last election was his opening conversational gambit with constituents on the trail being:

I cannot imagine how I'd personally react to being told that by anyone.

Oh my God. I just can't wait for the 2016 election to really get going, which will probably be around this September again.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there video of the LEED-compliant quote? I missed that one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Tough posted:

Now that I've looked it up, it's even worse than I thought because he took name from a Brady Bunch character

I know a guy who chose his English name because he liked the way his teacher wrote it on the blackboard in South Korea. Bringing up Piyush "Bobby" Jindal's first name is just as dumb as emphasizing Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

At this point it'll probably be easier to hold debates for the three republicans not running.

The RNC has said they'll bar candidates who run in unsanctioned debates from participating in sanctioned ones. It's possible that we'll end up with rival debate circuits with different sets of candidates.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

I will now restore partisan balance by posting a photo of a Democrat.

The early 90s didn't do anyone favors when it came to style.

Heh, Gore is wearing a Gall-Peters projection on his map shirt. The most liberal of maps other than the upside-down one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rocks posted:

Can Bill be Vice President of Hillary runs?

No, the vice president must be eligible to become president in the event that the president resigns or dies. Also they reside in the same state, and while it's not forbidden for both candidates to reside in the same state it costs the VP that state's electoral votes. Normally you can get around this but I think a married couple claiming to live in different states would go over poorly with voters.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

The last time the RNC was in Cleveland was 1936. Not the party's best election year.

FDR would have won that year no matter what, though. Ohio has voted with the winner in every election since 1960, it makes sense for the Republicans to try to pick up swing voters there. It's also a sign that the RNC is interested in a moderate to help win votes in the general, as we've been expecting.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyges posted:

It only makes sense if they're also stock piling rabbits' feet, setting up genetically modified 7 leaf clover fields, and aggregating all the data to find 5 sets of 5 counties which have voted with the winner in every presidential election since they joined a union that together form a pentagram with each point being made up of a smaller perfect voting pentagram.

Every election we discover new predictive statistical trivia tidbits and every year around half of those unfailing predictors fail. Except Mrs. Widman's 3rd Grade Class straw poll, that's always right. They even predict the new Lays Potato Chip flavors.

Technically and theoretically. It's almost certainly not going to happen, but it's totally possible. That's why Hillary is getting in good with the Castro brothers, she knows that last time the Texas Latino Mayor/Congressman won.

Actually, Ohio tends to vote with the winner because it's an important swing state and has demographics representative of the average American state, and in 2012 it was the linchpin state that was statistically the most likely to determine a close election. Winning states like Ohio is exactly how a party wins elections.

sbaldrick posted:

This would be a smart idea if it was Columbus, but Cleveland is blue as gently caress.

This is a good point though, they probably won't strike the right balance to actually get moderate appeal and large protests outside a national convention tend to go badly for the party.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's precisely the opposite of this. The winning presidential candidate wins Ohio because Ohio votes like the nation as a whole. Attempting to reverse this process - winning the nation because you win Ohio - is cargo cult politics. At least so far as we're talking about winning Ohio through strategies - such as giving unusual attention to it through a convention - that don't affect the rest of the nation.

OK, you're right and I was wrong. I was really surprised by that data showing how irrelevant the conventions are to a party's performance in a state.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sir Tonk posted:

Only if she uses her real name :colbert:

Barack HUSSEIN SOTERO

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, both him and Obama.

Also John McCain, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Bob Dole, Ross Perot, and George H.W. Bush. It's loving bizarre - George W. Bush was the only right-handed president or nominee in the past 25 years.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nessus posted:

I... I think Palin just endorsed Hillary?

No, she means she's ready for Hillary in the sense that she's ready to take her on. It makes sense if you're immersed in that part of the Internet for long enough.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

euphronius posted:

Romney would be a terrific Ambassador. Maybe to France?

Vietnam, so he can actually get sent there by the government for once.

I'm surprised by Romney bowing out, because I assumed he was more selfish than that. This move increases the chance that we'll have a Republican president in 2017, even though Romney's out. He might have won a slapfight with Jeb, but he's not going to swoop in at the RNC and suddenly get the nom.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lockback posted:

Ike was barely a Republican

Ike was the best Republican president since Lincoln.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A man weighing 455 pounds once went a year without food under careful medical supervision, and lost 275 pounds in the process. Christie's top weight was reportedly about 350 pounds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:eyepop:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Deptfordx posted:

Haven't Iran been a few years away from building a nuclear weapon for about 25 years now?

I mean North loving Korea has managed to cobble together some crude nukes, if Iran seriously wanted nukes shouln't they have some by now?

North Korea probably had help from China, but in any case yes, Iran's nuclear technology is clearly more geared towards reactor-grade uranium than weapons-grade material.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Venom Snake posted:

The only thing Ted Cruz is aware of is the fact he is not yet the most powerful man on earth.

Cruz wants Vladimir Putin's job?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Party Un-Conservative Activities Committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cemetry Gator posted:

His brother Marvin has Crohn's, I didn't see anything about Jeb. The thing about Crohn's is when it is well controlled, you can lead a relatively normal life. Obviously, that can change. But I think if he did have it, as long as he's kept it under control, I think it shouldn't come up too much.

Plus, Eisenhower had Crohn's disease, so I think if it was good enough for Eisenhower, it shouldn't be problematic for any other presidents. Kennedy also had it, but we don't want to put any focus on Kennedy's health.

30% of Americans are trying to avoid gluten, even though there's no medical benefit in doing so. Crohn's might be popular among the delusional people who think they have a gut disease.

• Locked thread