Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't see how Huckabee gains any traction with Santorum splitting the culture warrior vote. His year was 2012. He could have stomped out Santorum's no budget campaign before Iowa and been positioned as the friendly evangelical next to the robotic Mormon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Brownback had a real job and could afford to quit. All that's left for these two is speaking fees and grifting. I think they'll stay in.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

fade5 posted:

Felt a sense of dread when seeing this, took a second to realize why:

So given that PNAC signer Jeb Bush is also running, is Rubio using dog-whistle or just a straight-up whistle here?
I think it's meaningful shorthand. You know where Rubio stands on foreign policy. Ignoring the PNAC implications it's a horrible slogan and New Century branding is laughable in 2015.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AndNowMax posted:

But is the electorate's memory really that long, or is it something else like the monied interests don't want to give him a chance to humiliate them again?
A little of both but the silent primary can kill him a lot sooner than the public. One of the fun parts of when Fred Thompson realized he didn't want to campaign in 07-08 was how bitter everyone got after they rushed to endorse him.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AndNowMax posted:

I mean this was sort of the capstone of his poor debate performances in general, but in isolation I never thought it was THAT bad. We all forget dumb crap, and it seemed weird to focus on the soundbite rather than the dumbbaby idiot idea it was trying to communicate.

As for the ranch, didn't it get its name way before Perry started hunting there? Not that it makes it ok, but I feel like most people were able to hand-wave that away by just going "yeah places used to have racist names.

These things were both bad, but I've never been convinced either of them were silver bullets that killed Perry's campaign
Perry was bad in every debate. It wasn't a few mistakes that sunk him.

PotatoManJack posted:

A question for the thread about Hillary's campaign. Assuming she gets the democractic ticket, does she have Obama publicly support her or does he do more damage than good with his current level of popularity?
If Obama isn't popular enough to get a convention speech Hillary is going to be in big trouble.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

More Rand panels! Weigel review

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Christie running as a Democrat is a Twilight Zone punishment. He would be driven mad by the endless questions over flip flopping and voter trust.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I would vote for Jeb if he looked like that on election day.

Pohl posted:

Once again for fun.

Hillary is 67
Carly is 60
Trump is 68
Jeb is 62
Perry is 65

Hillary is so loving old guys.
Going factual seems like the wrong way to counter the age thing. I'd use something like calling Cruz etc out of touch for thinking gay people are waging jihad in America.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

Of course.

What's my dad doing in Israel?!
Repairing the trust after Obama cursed the Jewish people.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Aliquid posted:

as a Texas voter, my dad revealed to me his top two are Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee and this has remained unchanged for three years

i just
They both have a talent for selling bullshit to an audience that shouldn't be receptive. I guess it works for the right as well as the mushy left.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Having another President in the family brings tremendous recognition as well as party and donor influence. You deserve to lose if you can't overcome the portion of irregular voters who don't like dynasties.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Are there any pro-gay marriage GOP candidates at all? I figured we'd get a couple this time around, and that Jeb would be one of them.
Is Pataki officially in?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

I wish HillDawg would just choose some competent current secretary or former office holder for VP. Hell, choose them for every position.

Had it not been for a Christine O'Donnell and a Ken Buck, his VP pick and Interior pick could have lost Dems the Senate much sooner, not to mention they destroyed Janet Napolitano's political future by giving her literally the most-despised department aside from the IRS to run, AND they destroyed Kathleen Sebelius's career by having her run the OBAMACARE department.

Both could have been much stronger competitors for open seats in their respective states in 2010-2012 that what they got.
Completely on board with this. Floating Kaine's name has always confused me as it risks a Senate seat for minimal upside.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Man, Game Change 2016 is going to be such a gripping read.
Only if they get access.
2012 was a dud compared to 2008 where every McCain staffer had an axe to grind.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

if it makes you guys feel better, they probably would've hijacked any other candidate that actually had an open rally too
Ted Cruz had an open rally in Atlanta today. There were no protesters

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is an amazing performance.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Don't offshore my Oreos!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I would love to see the case files for that guy conspiring to topple the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He is either a complete cook or smarter than us all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Trump entered to "You're the Best" and left to "We're Not Gonna Take It."

e: Oh my god. C-SPAN open lines after Trump.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

C-SPAN caller wants Trump/Sanders 2016.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

"I find it a great privilege that I am gonna be able to vote in the primary for Donald Trump."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Obummer will stop Trump?!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Previously recorded Rubio is here to ruin our fun.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Donald Trump Scooby Van

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WaPo feed sucks.

I need crowd noise.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I agree with Trump.
Have the election tomorrow.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The FEC probably can't stop you from giving campaign funds to charity.

IRS might get involved at some point.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Trump: DPRK is DTF

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris Hayes rudely butting in to defend traitor Berghdahl.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

YOU FORGOT C-SPAN :saddowns:
There will be phone calls!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I love Trump's blatantly phony religion.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Trump did not lose NASCAR!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

PC cowards at MSNBC cut away from trump.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

So far there's been about 30 seconds of policy (build a wall, revoke birthright citizenship) and about 45 minutes of bragging.
Making America great is a policy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tariffs are just fancy taxes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

JEB! the low energy stooge for lobbyists.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Just noticed there are actual silent majority signs in the crowd.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bernie arguing the merits of progressive taxation vs. tithing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HOT TAKE on C-SPAN

Nixon and W were bad for the GOP brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hollismason posted:

hahaha talk into the mike goddamnit

Is it me or does Bernie Sanders sound like Larry David a little bit or Super Dave Osborn.
Every old Jewish guy from New York.
He sounds like Howard Stern's impression of his dad.

• Locked thread