Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

I hope the Unskewed Polls guy comes back too, that was one of my favourite late entries to 2012's election :allears:

Remember when he said Nate Silver was too 'effeminate' for his numbers to be real :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BMB5150 posted:

Coincidentally I'm watching Game Change right now. I'm amazed at the ignorance of Palin but how dense she is to look on the nationwide level. I don't know if we'll get this kind of VP pick again. But then again we got Paul Ryan get slammed by Biden in spectacular fashion so can't count anything out.

Yeah but Paul Ryan met the minimum requirement for presentability, in that Joe Sixpack couldn't immediately tell he was a moron. Remember when a bunch of media outlets agreed that Ryan '''''won''''' that debate?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

What are the chances Hillary doesn't run at this point?

Unless a health issue or gigantic scandal knocks her out, 100%.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

meristem posted:

Who is going to be HRC's VP?

Al Gore :getin:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

If I know one thing its that democrats cannot win the presidency with a brown man on the ticket

I think the question actually is, can the Democrats win without a white guy on the ticket somewhere.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wisconsin went for Obama by 9.5% in 2012, Republicans aren't winning it in 2016 no matter who they run, barring a landslide.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
gently caress, I misclicked on the Wikipedia map and got the stats for Michigan instead. Seven points would still be a hell of a swing in a climate where most people's votes are pre-decided.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It'll probably get brought up in a campaign ad as part of a montage of reasons why Hilary is an Evil Orwellian Bureaucrat, as opposed to Scott Walker (or whoever), Man of the People, but undecided voters won't give a poo poo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Venom Snake posted:

How big of a melt down would there be if a democrat won in 2016 with only the electoral majority, not the popular majority?

The Supreme Court would rule 5-4 in favor of their opponent, obviously.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Real Name Grover posted:

Wait, hold on. How did "rock music" respond to 9/11 anyway?

Rock music actually caused 9/11.

(release date of both these albums: 9/11/2001)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder what Netanyahu could get away with the week before the election. Is there a limit?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You are assuming a level of business acumen that trump clearly does not possess.

He seemed to possess that acumen the last six times (or whatever) he dropped out in previous races before having to spend his own money.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"I will do whatever it takes to defend America from these haters of mankind."

Rand Paul 2016: Watch out, haters

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So Rand is just going to get run over by Jeb eventually, right?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So the non-joke GOP candidates are basically:

Jeb
Walker (maybe)
Rubio (maybe)
???

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

It would be Reagan/Mondal '84 except with the roles swapped.

It really wouldn't. There's at least 150 EVs that will go to the Republican candidate no matter who it is.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

PerpetualSelf posted:

Clinton is a lock. She'll have to do a lot of major gently caress ups to not get elected.

Or, you know, a health problem, or a slight recession between now and Fall 2016, or a dropoff in turnout compared to 2012...

Really, the biggest problem for the Republicans is the same as 2012, where they should be able to win with a 'generic Republican' candidate, but all their actual candidates are worse than that theoretical one.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cantorsdust posted:

Not if demographics continue to shift to the point where Texas goes blue.

This will not happen by 2020.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Romney doesn't bother with bets under $10,000.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Agents are GO! posted:

I just don't get these loss.jpg parodies anymore.

It's pretty simple, Rick Perry is going to lose.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Huckabee implies he's for raising the minimum wage? Is this a Republican position now?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Huckabee is fairly charismatic but he seems out of step with the Republican party, at once too conservative and too liberal.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"As Americans, we ought to get on our knees every night" :quagmire:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cubey posted:

In addition to the unskewed polls guy, I seem to remember other, more nationally recognized polls like Gallup that had the race as being too close to call, if not slightly in Romney's favor.

At one point in October 2012, Gallup had Romney up by seven points.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Turns out when you gently caress up a debate bad enough it looks like an rear end in a top hat ripping. I don't think I've ever seen anyone lose a debate so decisively.

And yet most polls of undecided voters indicated Ryan won the debate somehow!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

FIRST TIME posted:

Oh sweet baby Jesus. This girl I went to high school with posted on FB about the Trump announcement and thinks that he should be president.

She's lower class, complains about finances and getting evicted and her husband not being able to find a job.

She's pregnant with like her 4th kid.

Yes, Donald Trump will surely be the savior of your family and our country.

:psyduck:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ladies and gentlemen, the fourth-place candidate in the Democratic primary.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cythereal posted:

I'm honestly curious at this point what any of the pubbies are campaigning on beyond "I have a time machine and can make the last eight years unhappen."

I'm sure they have individual strategies, but the strategy that has a chance of working is one they're all essentially participating in - pander enough to win the primary, then present as a "reasonable" candidate in the general election, then hope that the economy goes bad / Hillary develops a health problem / Hillary eats a baby on live television, and win by default.

e: simply being The Republican Candidate will assure the GOP nominee 47% of the national vote. Since all the actual candidates are so bad, the remaining 3.1% is probably going to have to come from things outside of their control (unless you count voter suppression).

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 28, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Skwirl posted:

That was a beautiful election. There were so many last minute Republican sex scandals it was referred to as "Cocktober."

There was also the 'Summer of Rape' in 2012.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BanjoFish posted:

Make this man emperor.

I love the shift in the second paragraph where he's getting angrier and angrier. We need to get Michael Shannon to read this.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
But does he like 60's music, 70's music, and Twilight? Does he live for laughter? The public needs to know!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

More White Noise posted:

Can anyone make out any of that guy's other tattoos? Maybe his last name is just White

Yeah but his first name is Proudtobe.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

His involvement is a plus for Bush. Every minute the camera is on him, every minute the media is talking his latest action, is a minute they are not focusing on and talking about someone who can actually beat Bush

The polls since Trump entered the race seem to bear this out:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Logikv9 posted:

From this perspective he's falling face-first towards the ground. I'm okay with this.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"I hire people, they do a website, it costs me three dollars."

I love Trump.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm interested to see how Jeb and co. win the "really, really stupid people" demographic back from Trump.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Trump says multiple times in his recent speech that he's going to file his financial disclosure next week. I really hope he follows through, if just to see how Fox tries to screen him out of the debate next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
America can't afford to elect a compressed president.

• Locked thread