Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
No Vermin Supreme, thread invalidated. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think he's just listing southern culture signifiers.

It's the Dane Cook of political book titles.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure defending African or Central Asian or Latin American strongmen is a job requirement for working in management on the Clinton campaign.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Who exactly is his constituency...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

It's actually a good book, esp if you're from Appalachia.

I'm assuming he'll be more pointed in his economic criticisms of Clinton, probably from a populist perspective, possibly more left-leaning. At least someone will talk about someone that's poor and not The Middle Class, even if it's just as some sort of cultural identifier that probably won't work since the Democrats are pretty solidly seen as the coastal liberal party and that's where the $ is.

I am and I've read enough about the subject that I doubt he has much new to offer.

Funnily enough Clinton was the white working class populist candidate in 2008. I was living in western NC back then and it was not surprising but notable the level of vitriol toward Obama and praise for her, despite the fact her husband sold pretty much everyone around under the river, and I seriously doubt she'd have done anything as president to make up for it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
looks like i picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue then

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ninjasaurus posted:

Another Bloomberg article posted today quoted a Clinton insider as saying a Jeb Bush/Rob Portman ticket could make a worthy opponent to Hillary. Thoughts?

Maybe in David Brooks' wet dreams.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Doubly so if Christie is the nominee.

I'd be surprised if both Christie was the nominee and he took Jersey.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lincoln only had a year or two of school as a kid.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah I'm disappointed she didn't drive a railroad spike through his head too, but c'est la vie.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Deteriorata posted:

The Moral Majority didn't exist until the '80s, but the demographics do overlap.

70s and yes. The Moral Majority was created as a means of keeping the people upset with integration politically active by creating another divisive issue using religious affiliation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
No COMMUNISTS! Both parties have been INFILTRATED BY THE ENEMY! Wake up AMERICA! Perry is another DESPOT and we must form another party to overthrow this takeover! This idiot use to be democrat before he became republican. Then he tried to force vaccines onto our children which has caused DEATH and STERILIZATION once given the shot! He continued to try to force this onto "We the People"! Th worst of two evils is an worse for of EVIL! Please anyone whom has an ear let them hear this..........Prepare for the worst and pray for the best! Both parties are DEMONS! If we do not form "THE FREEDOM LOVING" party of libertarianism with constitutional loving members we will all be SACRIFICED TO SATAN! Ron Paul WHERE ARE YOU? The hole is becoming a trap now what????? Sink or swim!!!! Enough of the DISEASED FEW RULING and time for THE SANE TO STAND UP AND YELL FREEDOM!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

I mean as an independent. He's just get thrashed in the primary, but an independent candidate like Webb runs the risk of peeling off enough Democratic support in states like Virginia or Ohio to throw the general.

As if Webb isn't running to be Hillary's defense secretary.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

I'd hesitate to say a percentage of white voters Hillary can capture, more than Mitt certainly.

I doubt that. 2-7 points more than Obama depending on the state, but that's as much as I'd wager.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
A Jeb-Christie-Mitt establishment primary will be interesting to see who cannibalizes the others' donor base first. Or if one jumps in first will the other two back off?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gutierrez or Castro, depending upon what weakness in her narrative she needs to counter.

Upon a canine's posterior the sun hath shone.

Castro's the handicappers' favorite but let's throw a wild card in the mix: Anthony Foxx. He's gonna be looking for a new gig after his current job's over, he's definitely not running for governor since that's already been spoken for, and probably won't be going for Richard Burr's seat in the senate.

Black guy, from the south and a battleground state, has ties to Obama to keep his fanbase excited. And most importantly totally in the pocket of industry.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 11, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

I can see the argument. If only one ticket is all-white in this election, that ticket will pick up a ton of votes because of it.

And I think it would be suicide for Hillary to pick a black running mate (if one were available). It's Latino or white. Black people are getting left out of this election.

Depends on the level of cynicism at play on a range between Mister Rogers and Henry Kissinger. Blacks turn out at a far higher rate than Hispanics, and there's enough of them in a few close states that if it becomes a choice between who to pander to with a token pick, I'd put money on black.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Dem bosses will see every black gained as two whites lost.

The reliable white dem voters who'd stay home or vote for the other guy if a black was on the ticket are either dead, living in states that don't matter, or had already been voting for republican nominees for a couple decades anyway.

e: Obama in 2012 is probably the floor for the white vote overall for a good while and he still got over 300 EV.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 11, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Obama has two more years to cement the association of the words "black" and "failure" in the white public mind. Racism will be open and bipartisan by 2016.

Dukakis got more of the white vote than Obama last time. Like I said, the floor's been set, and I seriously doubt Hillary will pull in Mondale numbers among whitey, and that's what it's gonna take at minimum for a Republican to win the presidency.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm going to start ending all of my emails with "Onward,"

I prefer the more formal "Excelsior,"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Good grief the bank of washing machines behind Chris Wallace. Are they making GBS threads their drawers every 15 minutes?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

shadow puppet of a posted:

That stuck in many internet news site/ non-political forum commenter's craws as well. It stung more than "a couple of Cadillacs" because people could finally get the tangible image of solving everything with money, and how that would fundamentally change the Romneys. They finally got to feel that Ann (Who they likely mistakenly thought was the one doing the laundry) didn't want to bother with ever having to pay attention to the wash so everything would be loaded in at once and she'd just walk away.

Even more fascinating, In this stage-managed era, was that there had to have been a discussion to leave that door open or not. And they chose to leave it open to show how normal they were, but it failed because everyone with speaking-rights on that set was probably paid enough for that image to seem normal.

It's not even that; like how much laundry are they producing that their maid needs to do that many simultaneous loads? At that point, why not either send it off to an actual laundry place or get an industrial machine? Why have a whole room full of regular washing machines? Is this the case at just the one house, or do all their residences have a phalanx of machines? And if so, are they carrying short tons of dirty magic undies around with them wherever they go? So many more questions raised.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

The staring contest between the Romneys and Huckabees is going to be straight-up Stephen King.

The Huckabees themselves are straight-up Stephen King.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Would McCoy be McCrory? The guy who called Charlotte the capital of the state he governs and whose one big issue he touts is how he cut unemployment benefits solely so he could officially have more people not count against his unemployment numbers? Yeah...why?

Doubtful since he's in the midst of gearing up his re-election campaign. Though watching Mayor McCheese fail spectacularly on a national stage (or more likely drop out before Iowa) would be nice.

ufarn posted:

I had happily forgotten about the existence of Jennifer Rubin, who - somehow - no longer supports Romney.

Jeb's people cut her a check first this time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

Pawlenty was more boring than anything. Webb is being touted as being able to recapture the Lost Coalition of White Working-Class Voters, but anyone who actually has studied up on Webb knows that his plan is to aggressively alienate the people who currently vote Democratic.

Also anyone who has actually studied up on the Lost Coalition of White Working-Class Voters¯™¯ knows there's no way dems can get them back.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's Hilary got over him? Genuinely asking here.

Most of the donor class, probably all of the big name campaign people.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'm amazed that Scott Walker, an unattractive, chinless, weirdly balding guy with a poor jobs record and the subject of a recall election, is polling so strongly. He's like this cycle's Pawlenty; a VP candidate at best.

New Hampshire sucks.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Disinterested posted:

Makes sense with the preacher poo poo. Still, the fact that mormonism is a joke (and not naturally likeable to an average Christian) and was officially very racist very recently AND has a Catholic style problem with its elders...

Eh, the SBC was officially very racist (and unofficially still is) until very recently, so it's not as if that's a minus re: a Romney-Huckabee Jebus-off.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

This guy's about to hook you up with some bomb weed.

No that's the guy you're about to sell an eighth of oregano to.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Not I. Even Scott Walker deserves real weed.

He'll stop you in the hall after 4th period the next day and tell you all about how high he got last night off that killer bud.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Non-Controversial opinion: Cheney was the most consequential VP of all time and will likely never be matched. He belongs alongside Metternich in the annals of consequential ministers in the Western world.

Cheney needs an asterisk beside his name if only because he was acting as shadow president.

Rip Testes posted:

Sarah Palin has a bachelor's in communications, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMKXFeBNVU

Gyges posted:

But who's best all time? VPs bumped up to Pres can not count Presidential performance for or against their VP rating.

Biden is VP emeritus for all eternity, but Adams.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 29, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I guess they're relying on that tripe Sean Trende suggested in mid-2013?

The Sailer strategy goes back a bit further than that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh? Never heard of that one.

Have fun googling Steve Sailer and avoiding white supremacist websites.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Now, Romney can sell off his influence (and donors) to the highest bidder.

Late stage hail mary wish: Romney sells his database/donor rolodex to Christie, and his Christie oppo folder from the VP vetting process to Bush.

This is pro-click as gently caress youse guys. Get in on that poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I don't think Rand Paul, if pressed, actually believes that parents "own" children in the Rothbardian sense, he's not that hardcore, it's just that Libertarianism has so infected his thinking that he defaults to expressing his thoughts in terms of property.

Surely the children, rational actors they are, voluntarily enter into a mutually beneficial relationship with their parents whereby in exchange for free room and board they agree to forego a limited number of natural rights.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

knife super power posted:

Chris Christie is overweight to the point that it would raise concerns about his health for an average person, nevermind someone who is running for the most stressful job on the planet.

That's pretty much it. Remember Romney was hospitalized for exhaustion in August 2012. Despite his age he's in perfect health with a resting heart rate of 40bpm, and it finally caught up to him. Christie is in no condition physically (or mentally really) to run for president, let alone serve.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

Honestly sometimes I find myself feeling bizarrely sympathetic towards Huckabee because he seems to have some sort of bizarre religious Stockholm syndrome. I mean sure it manifests itself in completely repugnant actions and statements that at this point he should be absolutely be publicly vilified for but the guy seems genuinely hosed up in the head. He's like the closet cases that want to make gay people miserable because they didn't have fun out and proud adventures except he wants to do it with regressive social views on absolutely everything.

Being mad that someone somewhere might be having fun is a cornerstone of Southern Baptist theology.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

No honey, it's not controversial, it's that it makes look like you were a loony weirdo and the fact that you think it is controversial today makes you look like you are still a loony weirdo.

Or a typical small church southern baptist.

e: Actually these days even they've lightened up on it. It's mostly the primitives and some of the free-willers who still look down on it. The foot washers basically.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Remember in 2008 when the Very Serious people were asking if Obama was "too cool" to be president? Good times, man.

I remember the VSPs asking if Obama was black enough to win the black vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Regarding strategery: If Republicans feel comfortable enough pushing through another Bush on the grounds that Dems are pushing through another Clinton....wouldn't the obvious response be to point out the very marked differences between the last Bush and the last Clinton? Or would the Clinton campaign be too reticent of that sort of thing?

That's what Clinton, William Jefferson is for.

• Locked thread