Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

FMguru posted:

Yeah, once you LOSE a presidential election you are supposed to go away because you are a LOSER. Nixon's 1960/1968 doubleshot went down as one of the greatest comebacks in history because things like that are so rare. Romney already faced the voters once, and got decisively rejected. What possible logic (other than a total lack of other viable candidates) justifies giving him another bite at the apple?

Kerry's campaign wasn't perfect (few are) but he did OK. He came within one rigged state - Ohio - from defeating a sitting president during wartime. That's pretty impressive.

Ohio wasn't rigged. I was an election monitor in Ohio in 2004 - they bussed a load of us in from Michigan and other law schools because they didn't have enough people there. We got no training other than a fifteen minute speech once we got there (at 9 am or so, long after the polls had already opened), the large central office was remarkably disorganized and it took another hour to get everyone to their assigned precinct. Once we got there (in my case a 90% Dem ward) we heard nothing for the rest of the day and never saw a single other person from the party until the polls closed. Most of that might be how things normally work, no biggie, and I remember being optimistic on the bus back, but what I should've thought about was that we were in the middle of Toledo and they clearly didn't have the resources to cover the whole city in the biggest source of pure D votes in the state. FWIW, the GOP didn't even bother to send monitors and didn't need them because the polls weren't rigged after all :v:

This also goes to Kerry's competence but who knows it's entirely possible the Ohio state party was enough of a trainwreck on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This is actually probably true, but nobody with Presidential ambitions is gonna decline the Vice Presidency because statistical historical analysis something something.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

'The economy will look better' is quite the optimistic prediction. Two years of a Republican House and Senate, I'm drat uncertain how the economy will look for anything except for growing wealth inequality, deflationary forces in non-personal spending (healthcare, education), and wage stagnation.

Worsening economy means that Obama gets blamed for vetoing regressive proposals of Republicans and gets blamed by the base for not vetoing enough.

It's quite likely the economy will continue to recover because the EU is hell bent on doing the worst things possible politically, meaning the money seeking a safe harbor after any European crisis (which is a lot more likely to happen than an American one in the next two years) will be coming right back to the States. Also, since gas costs something like a third of what it does in Europe, cheap oil benefits the US consumer much more than a European in percentage terms.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Joementum posted:

Martin O'Malley won't be challenging Hillary. He's starting as a Visiting Professor at the Johns Hopkins University business school on February 2.

That's official confirmation she's running, isn't it?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

Mitt would never hear the question over the din of 15 washing machines running in the next room.

Uhh excuse me washing clothes is for the plebes who have to wear them a second time.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

If (lol) Hillary doesn't run, someone who isn't currently running like Gillibrand or Patrick or Hickenlooper or a Castro is going to get the nomination, it's really probably not going to be O'Malley.

If Hillary doesn't run, Biden will run away with it because the rest of these people are now confirmed awful.

V. Illych L. posted:

clinton is running, hypotheticals to the contrary are futile

death is certain

Eh there's still six months, it's always possible she has a bad physical or somebody finds actual evidence of Bill on Epstein's underage hooker planes or something.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's funny, it came off as an extremely condescending, "Dawww, you want to play with us big kids? That's adorable."

Edit: He presented Hillary's nomination as a fait accompli. This wasn't a rally for Hillary, it was a DFL Training Summit. No one else who took the stage came close to a statement endorsing a candidate, which is drat impressive because you had DFL Chair Ken Martin (Mr. "I'm endorsing Clinton as a private individual, not in an official capacity"), a representative from Emily's List, and CEO of the DNC, Amy Dacey, as the other speakers. We're ~7 months away from Iowa and it's disrespectful to the democratic process to act like it's a done deal.

As the guy who talked up Biden's chances for the past three years in all prior iterations of this thread, it's a done deal barring medical issues or maybe that Epstein thing blowing up and involving Bill somehow. Bernie's campaign is actually a blessing to Hillary at this stage; she's sucked up so much of the oxygen that the remainder had to go to one person Right Now for that person to have any chance, and as it turns out, instead of Biden or somebody else with a prayer the oxygen went to Bernie instead.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
2016 Presidential Primary: Lindsay Graham is guaranteed to beat at least one person in Iowa

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Miltank posted:

It really seems like beltway pundits and strategists are watching a different race then we are.

E: Like O'Malley's campaign strategist who thinks Sanders is a Herman Cain style "anything but" protest candidate.

The difference between Herman Cain and Ron Paul is pretty large, but not enough that it should alter O'Malley's strategy or his strategist's advice.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Adar posted:

2016 Presidential Primary: Lindsay Graham is guaranteed to beat at least one person in Iowa

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Joementum posted:

A candidate who can be relied on to scream at the top of his lungs about the necessity of military aid to Israel and bombing all of its neighbors.

Also, banning online gambling so that Sheldon has no competition.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

AndNowMax posted:

Jim Webb has a decent-ish shot at being Hilary's veep (wrap it up, Castroailures).

Prior to Bernie putting up the Progressive Flag, maybe. He has no shot now because a Webb VP slot means instead of grumbling their way to the booth the Bernie voters stay home entirely. O'Malley's got a much better chance.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mrit posted:

I don't think Trump will win either, but this is just sad.

The much stronger argument is that under all the national polling that doesn't mean poo poo right now, Trump is busy losing Iowa. With Cruz over 20 in two consecutive polls and gaining nationally (this is more important for people who aren't Trump because it leads to visibility) he's got a very high chance to end it for Trump right there.

Granted, that was before San Bernandino got ISIS'd so who knows what's going on right this second, but the real story has nothing to do with national polling and everything with Iowa polling, where it sure looks like 2012.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Montasque posted:

Agreed. Nate is probably right that Trump won't be the nominee, but his reasoning is wrong.

Worst part he will be so damned SMUG when Trump finally goes down.

Yeah, Iowa is really important, but how important I'm not sure yet. My thinking is that if Trump loses Iowa his UNSTUMPABLE appeal will be destroyed, and he will then lose New Hampshire, and that's that.

With that said, if Trump takes Iowa, which is one of Trump's weakest states, then he can win anywhere, and he may steam roll to the nomination.

Also If Trump loses Iowa but takes New Hampshire(Somehow survives being stumped) it's game on.

He's hopeless in the long run either way but if he loses Iowa it's over on the spot, Dean-style.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Nessus posted:

I think they would be shocked, possibly appalled, that we kept the original thing running for over two hundred years instead of starting fresh every couple of generations.

The original one only lasted 70-odd years. The one after that arguably only lasted 50 or 70 depending on whether you think the income tax or the Switch that Saved Nine was more important. This latest one's about due.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

We're finally at the point where early state polls are starting to be more predictive. I predict that I will be showing this graphic to lots and lots of the "Trump has no chance" people in a couple weeks.

The problem with this graph is that Iowa is over a month later now than it has been in forever, so it's based on a bad metric. A "T-X days" graph looks a lot closer to reality but nobody's been pointing that out.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Joementum posted:

Also, the problem with Nate and his crew is not that their model of the election might be statistically inaccurate, it's that they're asking the wrong question. Who will win this primary is not nearly as important as why it's happening this way, and that's not going to show up on the Cartesian plane.

I'm also non-plussed at why 538 has sucked this cycle but not sure that that's the right question to ask either. We pretty much know why it's happening, since it's been happening this way for the past three elections at a minimum. They should instead be focusing on what happens if and when Trump fades at different points in the race. There are lots of places that are happy to tell me Trump won't win, but no one's trying to do the legwork on the difference between when he loses post Iowa and post Super Tuesday.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Boosted_C5 posted:

The establishment is D.O.A. with these folks, and we're talking about people that are either more likely to be veterans OR more educated or more wealthy than a random pollster's sample of GOP primary voters. I guess that would explain why Cruz is now dead even with Trump in my tiny circle (I'm talking about less than 100 people here) but still way behind in polls. Trump is crushing it with uneducated and low income people, and that is what should scare Democrats and Clinton. They're seriously doing themselves a disservice by just laughing at the GOP over Trump and telling themselves he's their dream opponent. He should be their worst nightmare.

There is some truth to this in that, when Trump fails, Hillary is going to get crushed with low income / uneducated whites and won't do better than a tie with millenials against pretty much anyone else (maybe not Cruz, young women might turn out against him.) This will be a serious problem for her and I'm beginning to believe she's not a favorite against a Rubio or other establishment guy.

OTOH, no, not really, Trump is still a clown and it's a genuine shame he won't win because the GOP could use the resulting bloodletting to finally bury those people instead of letting it fester another cycle or two until an even bigger clown accidentally wins in a backlash year.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Montasque posted:

You really think those people will go away if they finally get 'their' candidate?

I used to think like that, but now I believe it would just embolden them and they would spin and make excuses for their failure. Also I used to think that in 10-20 years the freeper/angry white vote would be dead, but I was wrong. If anything the 'angry white' voter block is growing, not shrinking.

Trump is the last person that would do it, because in this cycle he loses 60/40, which would be enough for a very lopsided GOP civil war and Old White Yeller to be dragged out back and never seen again.

Four or eight years from now, the next clown (the not very well kept secret about the post 1992 and especially post 2008 GOP is that there is always a next clown) will probably not lose by nearly as large a margin. The problem is that sooner or later Murphy's Law will put a Dem version of GWB in the White House at the same time the clown wins the primary. That will not end well.

Angry white voters are definitely shrinking over time so that alone won't do it, but if the next one is Hispanic and also not Cruz that would be extremely electorally problematic.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

I'm more confused about the notion that Jeb! is a favorite to win than I am the notion that Trump can't win. Pretty much no one likes Jeb! other than a small number of rich corporate and neocon donors. His favorability numbers are terrible even in comparison to someone like Romney who wasn't exactly loved by the base, his poll numbers have gotten consistently lower throughout the entire cycle and now average around 4%. He has zero charisma or political skill and constantly says mind-bendingly stupid things for a Republican candidate or any candidate running for President to say. Even his precious endorsements are relatively modest in number and come mostly from months ago before his campaign had entirely imploded, this is something that even Nate Silver has acknowledged.

Theoretically, Jeb still has a decent path to the nom. Right around this point in 2008, McCain was in the low teens nationally, dead in Iowa and in the mid teens in NH:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/2008_republican_presidential_nomination-2741.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

The problem with comparing the two is that John McCain was a certified war hero whom the press loved while Jeb is the most milquetoast candidate in a field with enough scrubs to start a TV show.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Peel posted:

now we have the benefit of distance, what the hell happened to walker

does it all just come down to running out of money?

Walker got torpedoed by Jeb entering the race and had all his donors and media attention stolen from under him. He was a legit threat until that point. I think the worst mistake he made all campaign was assuming Jeb was a thing that would stay solid and dropping out early.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Squalid posted:

After NH a bunch of third tier candidates are going to drop out and Trump's low favorability numbers make it more likely their supporters will consolidate around whatever establishment candidate performed best. 35% of the vote is okay for the first few primaries but to win the whole thing you really want 50%+, doubly so for Trump as he is likely to get screwed at the convention. In 1992 Bill Clinton lost the first four primaries but still ended up winning 51% of all votes.

Also, Bill won because the first four primaries were won by 4 different people, Iowa was ignored by everyone not from there, the two following NH were Maine and South Dakota ie nobody cared about them either, and most of the South was packed into a 3 day stretch in early March right afterwards. Trump cannot lose a single early primary but also won't be facing a situation where all the other clowns split the vote for very long - by Nevada at the latest the field will be down to him and 2-3 other viable campaigns, probably exactly 1 by Super Tuesday as the establishment puts enormous pressure on everyone not named Trump Slayer to drop out.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Still looking great for the Donald. Real GOP nominees don't win a loser state like Iowa anyway.

It's a terrible result for everyone except Cruz, because it shows a big Cruz jump in SC that will only accelerate with time if nobody dogpiles on Cruz ASAP. Trump could just barely survive an Iowa loss but losing SC on top of it to the same candidate is 100% fatal. Each of the other dozen candidates must either win at least one primary out of the first four or have Trump win 3/4+ to have a prayer, so Cruz sucking the non-Trump oxygen out of the room is equally bad news.

What this poll says to me is that Rubio is in trouble, Kasich and Christie had better get used to living in NH, and Jeb should probably give up now.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mitt Romney posted:

The polls don't look horrible for the moderate candidates its just they are split among a lot of the candidates. The field will be smaller by Iowa and definitely NH. If Kasich, Fiorina and another one drops out then they are looking decent.

For a moderate to win without winning NH, they probably have to finish second to Trump. If Cruz wins Iowa, is second in NH and then wins SC again it's gg, and right now it looks like he'll (flame out or) probably max out around 20-25 in NH meaning some moderate has to break that. With this poll as a baseline it will be very hard for any of them to do it even with everyone else in their lane gone.

The alternative is everybody forgets about Trump and tries to destroy Cruz right now. The portion of the field with a clue should realize this so my assumption is there should be a lot of opposition research being done. If none of it pans out in the next month they're going to hand him the nom.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Christie has a path to the nom, because if he wins NH he probably also wins Nevada (gaming state) and then rides that into national relevance. It's not totally out of the question, though it's probably not > 2-3%.

Cruz is just trying to ride the Trump wave to the top without getting crushed underneath it. He's run a phenomenal campaign so far and it's working really well. I think part of the reason I've become so bullish on him so fast is he's the only one who is actively trying to win the primary and general at the same time instead of flailing around waiting for somebody else to take care of Trump for him. Every single thing he's done since getting his Senate seat has gotten him a step closer. He's pretty much GOP House of Cards IRL.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
GE Cruz will say whatever gets him .01% closer to winning, but he's also smart and used to debate settings, which means instead of tacking to the center (which would cost him points) he will just spend six months dogwhistling the gently caress out of every possible talking point while sounding nice instead.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Fun fact: my grandfather was the government official in charge of the renovations to the rink

if your grandfather hosed up the deal and literally enabled a Trump campaign anecdote, your mission is to use the time machine to go back and murder youre fam

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Boosted_C5 posted:

Trump is at 39% with registered and likely voters now.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com...estimate=custom

AND including the less reliable types of polls actually HURTS him now. Go to only phone polls or even further to only LIVE phone polls, and either way it pushes him to 40%.

ANY DAY NOW....

I just wanna remind the blood for the blood throne faction from the last page that Trump was up by 7 points in Iowa over some effectively zero name recognition people and Scott Walker three months ago, up by 5 to a slightly more with it Herman Cain II two months ago, up 7 when that guy duly cratered last month and is now down 5 to the first legitimate candidate to actually lead in Iowa at any point since Trump entered the race. This shift, where he's held very steady at his 25-30 point ceiling while the first person to consolidate support with the religious right surged to 35%+, happened over less than a month. As soon as a non-Trump wins Iowa (this part is now very likely) he is going to drop (this part is inevitable) and if the drop is severe enough that he loses NH (this part is > 50% at this point) his best chance of winning a primary will be when the race is over.

I mean I like schaudenfreude as much as the next guy and Nate's articles are really bad for whatever reason, but if you're paying attention the emperor hasn't had any clothes for weeks now.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I agree Cruz won't be a gimme. Based on what he's doing and how he's doing it right now he is very easy to underestimate and extremely good at what he does.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Romney won it in 2012 (sure okay Santorum actually did but by the time they figured that out it was a month later and the headlines had moved on)
Obama '08
Kerry '04

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Fooled by Randomness is probably the best book ever written on the subject so this is sort of disappointing :(

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

fishmech posted:

Remember when Fiorina was considered viable?

What site is that?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Constant Hamprince posted:

Are the bets in monopoly money or do you actually have money riding on this shitshow? I'm aware it's illegal to bet on US elections but it's not like that's stopping anyone online.

I don't recognize that market but PredictIt.org is legal in the US (and Betfair is legal for those of us outside it).

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/680118305449996293

The real question is whether this is intentional (of course it is)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The real question is whether this is intentional (of course it is)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

I too celebrate Christmas by giving someone I don't support money and then posting a picture of my poo poo on the internet

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Louisgod posted:

I also have an SA account

Mine's free :smugdog:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Clearly it's the man who has a sex act named after him

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
ARG is okay. Internal polls are grain of salt-worthy at best, though, especially internals that wildly vary from the same group doing a poll that made RCP a week ago.

Still, as far as campaigns on life support go, that result is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

American Research Group are some of the worst pollsters around.

This is one of the places Nate isn't always right. If you look at his chart, their polls are slightly more off than most -but- they have virtually no bias. Rasmussen gets a better grade than them despite having one of the largest biases in the entire database. If I have one poll that I know is off by 7 points in no particular direction, having a poll that's off by 5 and also +GOP by 2.5 is better. If I have ten polls, the first one is much better.

The preceeding paragraph is completely useless to anyone who doesn't bet on elections but there you go.

• Locked thread