Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nereid posted:

Ten bucks says he tries to run anyway.

Ten Canadian Tire dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nereid posted:

Except for the fact that he was born in Canada so he cannot be president. Period. You'd think he'd see the writing on the wall.

Yes, maybe something will convince Ted Cruz not to undertake a doomed, messiah-sociopath crusade.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

There's no doubt that perception is huge. No one talked about Romney's age (65) and it was the main thing on everyone's minds with McCain (72). McCain looked very old because of his cautious movements and slow speech, which were partly from age and partly from being tortured in Vietnam. Romney and Hillary both look and act more youthful than they are. Of course, if Romney runs for president again, it's unlikely that anyone will criticize his age, and pointing that out will give Hillary an easy defense since she's seven months younger than Mitt.

Get ready to discover just how much scorn the nation can pour out on a middle aged woman for the crime of not being dead.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Dude, man or woman, she'll be a hair under 70 when the time comes. That ain't middle aged until Ray Kurzweil starts dancing the singularity shuffle. I mean they'll beat her up for being too old and mentally ill and all that, no doubt, and she'll get more guff than, say Biden, who is even older, but let's not pretend she's middle-aged.

Unless you mean she's from Middle Earth, which is possible.

60 is the new 80, or 40 or something.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Let's be clear, the debate was the term "middle-aged." I won't be dragged off into some other debate. 70 is not middle-aged even in loving old people Japan, heh. She's is a senior citizen, period. I have no problem with that, I think we should elect older people because they know a shitload more than younger people, so that's no strike against her in my book, but let's not remotely try to pretend Saint Reagan was a Spring Chicken or that Hillary is Middle-Aged. It doesn't matter how she looks, age is age, you don't get to treat it like it's part of a huge box of crayolas and go, "Well it's kind of orange."

I was trying to be polite, lay an egg about it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Huckabee's 61 and he regained a shitload of weight after bariatric surgery. Dead Man Walking

(watch him live to be 100)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

There's no way it will be as big an issue as it was with McCain.

I think news anchor standards will probably be at play. Old man reporters are "rugged," old woman reporters are "oh wow why are you forcing me to look at you? Just hide from my vision already, crone."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ted Cruz commits impiety by undermining faith in the government he was entrusted to sustain, so Poseidon (Obama) sends snakes to destroy him. A Laocoön coloring book.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
2016 Presidential Primary: Crushing it Mafia Style

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's not like there aren't plenty of people in the major parties who believe in utterly wrong and unscientific things.

Everybody who shows up at the National Prayer Breakfast, for example.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

Believing that showing up to the Prayer Breakfast will help get you voters isn't wrong or unscientific.

Neither is being anti-nuke to get hippies in your coalition. When you talk about politicians, it's a waste of time wondering who is sincere or not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Knight posted:

The next great "See, I'm not racist" hope, Ben Carson, is already taking fire for not forsaking all other gods and worshiping at the altar of guns:
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2014-11-20/ben-carson-seeks-to-assure-supporters-hes-solid-on-guns

:fork:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Lincolning it up

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr. Tough posted:

Jeb's a University of Texas grad

The truth is, Dubya was the toniest and most intellectually gifted of the brothers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nameless_Steve posted:

Just imagine Scott Brown, dejectedly walking along the highway in the pouring rain, attempting to thumb it with no success. Sad piano music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinOIVqWWWA

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

At what point did it really become clear Obama was running in 2008? I keep feeling like if there was going to be a Hillary challenger I'd sort of know who they were by now, but I realized that don't actually have any real basis for that belief because I apparently have the memory of a goldfish and can't remember the leadup to the primaries in 2008 well enough.

I think the hat-in-the-ring moment was his speech in Springfield. Looking it up, that was 2/10/07. We've got about two months I guess.

After that there were debates with John Edwards and Kucinich. Oh and wasn't Chris Dodd in there somewhere? :laffo:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Yeah but it's the unofficial declarations of intent that I'm most interested in. I just don't see anyone who can beat Hillary - granted, many people didn't think Obama could either but he was at least credible. I don't see the credible challengers here. I could see Warren playing that sort of role (though I don't think she'd be successful) but I've seen no indication she is actually interested in running. I don't see anyone else - Webb is really the only other 'serious' candidate and nobody's going to win the Democratic nomination attacking Hillary from the right.

No one can face her :swoon:

Seriously Obama and Clinton were head and shoulders above the rest and everyone knew it. Nobody as heavy has come out in the intervening years. And as you say, D party mechanics don't involve tearing moderates apart. It's over with unless she sacrifices a baby on TV.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

smg77 posted:

Was Bill Clinton known outside of the south in 1991? I don't remember much about his first campaign but I remember people referring to him as a dark horse (apparently he didn't even officially announce he was running until October which seems insane).

I'm trying to find an old video of an infomercial he did for the Dems, I want to say in 1984? He talked about the economy and had a roundtable discussion with Sam Nunn and others. He was marked as a prospect since then at least.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah McCain would really shake things up with his unique gifts.

-Ancient, dusty bones
-Hated by everyone
-Makes worse decisions than George W. Bush

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Now quickly, strangle Mark Penn with a silken cord.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ninjasaurus posted:

Something tells me she wants it badly enough and knows how to deal with the Republicans' poo poo after being attacked by them for so long that she won't keep the kid gloves on. She's not the cool, likeable Obama candidate who just wants us all to get along. Hillary already knows how divisive she is.

But I hope there isn't enough misogyny in this country to keep her from being elected. I was talking to one of my friends earlier today who is worried she's doomed because of that very reason.

Oh she's getting elected.

All these right-wingers can keep a hat on a lot of their misogyny. I mean we will definitely see new and hilarious depths online, but I will toxx that Hillary will cut massive deals with Congress in her first year. She's got the willingness and instincts to schmooze with them, which Obama never did.

Masses of Republicans will vote for Hillary. Masses of people who cannot tolerate a black man can tolerate a white woman.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No they will. They will :allears:

You all are underestimating the great and terrible Madam Secretary's power to schmooze. Without a powerful primary foe like Obama she will come out undamaged and just work out on Jeb Bush or Rand Paul's lifeless corpse like it was a heavy bag. All will love her.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

dinoputz posted:

I'm not trying to shut down a topic worthy of discussion, but keep in mind at this stage of the game in 2006/early 2007 we still knew Barack Obama as "noted DNC keynote speaker." Or maybe if you wanted to get cheeky you could say "noted opponent of Alan Keyes".

He was "Senator Barack Obama" actually. I think by this point he was in talks with Axelrod as well, I may be wrong.

And that keynote was a really big deal if you remember. He was instantly world famous. Can you name a prospect in either party with that level of renown?

e: oh and the House and Senate are staying R.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 5, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'd hesitate to say a percentage of white voters Hillary can capture, more than Mitt certainly.

VanSandman posted:

The only question in my mind is, is Hillary still mad at the Republicans in general and about healthcare in particular?

Nah. She's above bitterness if she can use you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that a Clinton doesn't hold severe grudges?

Maybe in her private moments she seethes, but if you can be worked on she'll work on you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

have two conventions

Vince McMahon presents: XDNC

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"Abandon all hope" because Jeb is going to be a shoe-in.

This is gonna be hilarious.

~General Election Debate #1~

Hillary: i was secstate, a senator, i was basically already president until black nicolae carpathia came calling
Jeb: im fatbush; i look like bush, but fat

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

You really don't want to see how, "Miss Me Yet?" polls these days.

:getin:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A republican candidate's biggest challenge (other than painting their policies as not retarded) is being drug around in the primaries. If Jeb clears the field in three to four primaries then he's in a pretty good position.

To lose.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Governor Jay Nixon of Missouri? That man is 7 billionth tier, the corpse of Osama bin Laden would be a better VP pick than him.

Sternness toward blacks is a plus.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Social unrest could play a large role in the 2016 campaigns, depending upon how things develop.

Do not fear MIGF, your banker cop masters are safe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why, are you a democrat or something? what the gently caress for

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

So to be clear, your argument here is that if the Republicans put a Hispanic person on the ticket, Hillary should choose a white VP so she can pick up votes from people who won't pull the lever for a person of color.

I can see the argument. If only one ticket is all-white in this election, that ticket will pick up a ton of votes because of it.

And I think it would be suicide for Hillary to pick a black running mate (if one were available). It's Latino or white. Black people are getting left out of this election.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

You're right that black people will get left out of this election, but it's not an election for Democrats to court the racist vote. That strategy wouldn't work, because whites for whom that's a big issue won't be voting for Hillary in 2016 no matter who she picks. The racists on the right and the social justice people on the left aren't going to flip parties in 2016, they'll look at the candidates and decide whether or not to stay home. It's up to each party to turn out that segment of their base, not to capture the segment from the other party.

Oh we're not talking about people who know they're racist. They'll just manage not to show up to vote for a black person ever again.

comes along bort posted:

Depends on the level of cynicism at play on a range between Mister Rogers and Henry Kissinger. Blacks turn out at a far higher rate than Hispanics, and there's enough of them in a few close states that if it becomes a choice between who to pander to with a token pick, I'd put money on black.

Dem bosses will see every black gained as two whites lost.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

The reliable white dem voters who'd stay home or vote for the other guy if a black was on the ticket are either dead, living in states that don't matter, or had already been voting for republican nominees for a couple decades anyway.

Obama has two more years to cement the association of the words "black" and "failure" in the white public mind. Racism will be open and bipartisan by 2016.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys are underestimating Jeb. He's no dumb dumb like his brother and as Florida governors go wasn't a spectacularly horrible governor in a pretty big swing state.

On the other hand, he looks like a total dork

And Dubya is definitely the most politically skilled of the brothers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahahaha the power of delusion folks. Mitt can be the candidate forever, and Biden can be veep forever.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Just how much of your perception of the Bush family is based upon Lil' Bush?

They're one of the most illustrious families in the history of public life. And since Dubya was the most successful politician in their line, I guess that has quite a bit to do with my perception. (?)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I will give sedanchair that dubya is smarter than common perception but he' still nowhere near the level he ascribes to Bush.

I just realized if Jeb Bush was running Dubya could be his campaign manager :stare:

Ohhhhh shiiiiiit

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahahaha he tried to come in.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm always baffled whenever his name is mentioned for anything. The hairline he is sporting alone kills him as a candidate. How the hell could he possibly frontrun any ticket? How could he even be a VP candidate?

He needs that black scalp paint.

• Locked thread