Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

Depends on the level of cynicism at play on a range between Mister Rogers and Henry Kissinger. Blacks turn out at a far higher rate than Hispanics, and there's enough of them in a few close states that if it becomes a choice between who to pander to with a token pick, I'd put money on black.

That's assuming blacks will turn out in 2015. Given the recent issues, and the probability of another police-induced death being caught on camera between now and the start of supertuesday's media cycle, black turnout isn't something which can be taken for granted.

Chamale posted:

You're right that black people will get left out of this election, but it's not an election for Democrats to court the racist vote. That strategy wouldn't work, because whites for whom that's a big issue won't be voting for Hillary in 2016 no matter who she picks. The racists on the right and the social justice people on the left aren't going to flip parties in 2016, they'll look at the candidates and decide whether or not to stay home. It's up to each party to turn out that segment of their base, not to capture the segment from the other party.

Part of the narrative you build is to convince those sorts of folk to not vote for your oppo. Social Justice ain't gonna rock the vote in 15/16, so no need to appease them. Racists? Theys on the fence over turning out to vote.

E:

Huge gently caress'n complicating factor which is going unaddressed: raising contribution limits.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Here are the issues I see campaigns building a narrative around for 2015/2016:

Public sell
Torture & global economy/security
Domestic civil rights and police accountability
Immigration reform: Too fast, or too slow?

Donor sell
Financial regulation & interest rates
Airline regulation
One-time reshoring tax exemption & reverse acquisition crackdown
Social Security fund management & privitization
Cuban normalization and re-integration

Pick two of the above for your public pillars and three of the below for fundraising. Identify which potential Veep picks signal what policy positions towards where on the above.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Who's he hired for his run?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The fact that he's writing a book about his daughter reminds me that the last month of his 2012 primary campaign got complicated when she was hospitalized, ultimately causing him to stop campaigning because he was flying back every other day. It's surprising that she's still alive and that he's thinking of running again anyway.

He probably took it as a sign from god that 2012 wasn't his year to run because Obama was destined to win through idolatrous trickery no matter who the Republicans put up. With Hillary running in 2016, jesus has spoken to Santorum through his daughter's illness and shown him the light, that suffering exists to test humanity and further god's ~mysterious plan~

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeb Bush is going to form a Presidential Exploratory committee within the next month.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0beb_story.html

Clinton vs. Bush 2.0 here we come.

Bush v. Romney v. Santorum v. Newt v. Rauner v. Perry, here we come!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

I saw Rauner and knew who had posted without having to look. (Nobody from Illinois is running for president any time soon, or getting on the ticket.)

$10,000 bet on that? $10,000 bet?

Someone from IL is getting on one of the two tickets.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I would take that $10,000 bet with no hesitation. Every pol from Illinois being on the short list is just a product of your fever dream MIGF. (Excluding the "rules don't say anything about a dog playing" weaseling because Hillary was born in IL.)

Hillary is a native daughter from IL. I don't think Hillary being on the shortlist is a fever dream.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Re-using the double-R logo? I believe I'm justified in saying, "Called it a month ago."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

Mitt Romney wouldn't be behind a group that's webpage was literally set up by a high school student for $300.

Given everything we know of the Romney campaign, I wouldn't be so sure. Smells like something Ann would do.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

Imagine being the guy who lost to both the first black president and the first female president.

What is, "Things McCain and Bush have in Common," for $2,000, Alex?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Here's some comparative data on how the GOP primary polls were looking around this time in previous cycles.

Its good for showing just how fragile the GOP coalition is

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's all about narrative, and 'reluctant hero' plays a lot better than 'blatantly power-seeking'.

ReidRansom posted:

It's a way to say "I'm soliciting (assurances of) donations" while giving yourself an out should your early fundraising projections not meet expectations.

Its a combination of the two, used to drive more hard commits.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

The 2012 primary had Romney and Tpaw and Huntsman and the ghost of Christie. Romney wasn't the only moderate in that race, far from it.

Romney was the only moderate with funding, recognition, and experience. He was the only viable moderate, no matter what Whitefish wants you to believe.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Carson told NewsMax TV that he will announce whether he is running by May 1st. Stay tuned, America!

Dr. Carson may not be the crank America wants, he's certainly the crank with some pill issues America deserves.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

*Huckabee train is for heavy freight only, does not subsidize passengers

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Romney also dumped $15m of his personal fortune in Iowa in 2008, which none of the current batch of candidates are likely to do.

I dunno, Bush is able to dump $15m into Iowa through some pretty discreet channels.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

Oh really? Then why are so many frothing overt racists getting elected to positions of loving power?

Because its good for cheaply increasing base turnout.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Bernie Sanders hired progressive uber-blogger Matt Stoller and Professor Stephanie Kelton as his economic advisors for his new role as ranking member of the Budget Committee. They're both advocates of Modern Monetary Theory, which holds that deficits don't matter at the macro level if you can just keep printing cash. It's pretty clear we'll be seeing a Ryan-esque budget manifesto out of his office this spring as a possible campaign platform.

Well, its true. Deficits don't matter so long as you have a stable political order and continue to make debt servicing obligations. Hell, the larger the deficit, the greater the economic growth, with inflation naturally balancing out your debt.

This modern monetary theory, it sounds like poo poo up my alley.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jazerus posted:

If more Democrats like the people you are posting as a caricature of actually paid attention to it then perhaps the Democrats could provide an alternate coherent economic vision to "like the way the Republicans manage it, but less bad".

Edit: However good luck getting Democrats united on something like that without the ghost of LBJ sticking his nose in their faces.

Unlimited deficit spending...

...on providing weapon systems to Israel.

Change we can believe in. Unfortunately, not a position that Hillary or Christie would support. Jeb, though? I think we can trust Jeb to spend and spend without taxing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

shadow puppet of a posted:

My favourite Mitt annecdote from the last election was his opening conversational gambit with constituents on the trail being:

I cannot imagine how I'd personally react to being told that by anyone.

Well, if you were a JVP at Panduit or Courtyard, you'd use that to start a discussion. If you're Joe on the street, like gently caress you care that 92% of Courtyards in America are planned to be LEED-compliant by 2020.

You care about basic poo poo like hotcakes, good coffee, and cheap eggs. Or, minus the hotcakes, things which Mitt can't relate to.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Mitt has residences in California, Utah, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. I'm not sure which of them he uses as residency for tax purposes, probably none of them (ha ha ha, terrific you guys), but it wouldn't be too hard to shuffle that around if needed.

Where is Mitt registered to vote? He's either using that one for tax purposes, or giving his opponents a good talking point for launching a vote fraud investigation.

(His vetting attorneys probably forced him to make sure his home is where he's registered)

I could see Bolton for Republican veep pick, just as Bolton could see WMDs in the hands of ME terrorists

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

re:convention chat, what was the deal with Minnesota voting only like 54% for Obama in 2008 while states like Wisconsin and Michigan went 56-57% for him?

Outside the cities, Minnesota is aging. Areas which used to be DFL strongholds are now teaparty bastions.

It has to do with the transition of Congress from individual Members to a more parliamentary system. No longer are folks voting for their member, they're voting for parties regardless how they feel about their Member. I blame CNN.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 15, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Eschers Basement posted:

Wait, that means absolutely nothing. The only elections in the last 40 years where a President wasn't up for re-election were 1988, 2000, and 2008, and in two of those cases, the VP was running.

So, essentially, you're making the argument that because W didn't endorse anyone in 2008, Obama won't endorse anyone in 2016. I realize that D&D wants to prove that Obama is exactly the same as Bush, but that seems really dedicated to the premise.

Obama is loving anathema to winning POTUS '16. Nobody except maybe Biden or Sanders would want his endorsement, especially now that his OFA db is in the wild.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

This is the mistake that Gore made and it probably cost him the election. I can't see Hillary making the same stupid mistake.

You sound like a DLC staffer. What you need to understand is, this is Bill's decision, final call.

Now, how do you think Bill will call it?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Yes, the Clintons are definitely the prototypical man calls the shots couple. Hillary will just timidly demure to whatever Bill thinks is best, lest she hurt her pretty little head with man thoughts.

Bill Clinton: A man to be trusted not to stick his nose where it don't belong.

If you think Bill is easily sidelined on campaign issues, you've learned nothing from '08.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

I'm nat as politically astute as some in this thread but, I don't see why Bill would object to Obama's help. Is there some animosity there that isn't public knowledge?

"He's luckier than a dog with two dicks" is such an endearing phrase. One could say that there's even a 'Blood Fued' between the two.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Yeah, just wait until all these potential Hillary voters hear about this "Bill" guy she's married to.

'Married to Ayers' doesn't air until '16, Joe, no need to pull a d'Souza and jump the gun.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

swampcow posted:

I'm not really worried about moderates thinking Obama is too divisive. In two years, the economy will look better, he will have plenty of opportunities to appease his base by vetoing Republican measures, and his party will have an easier time winning back seats as the underdog. The radicalization of the republican party is gonna hurt them badly in 2016, as twitter and god knows what social media becomes even more prevalent, which makes it easier to spread video clips about views on "legitimate rape" and what the rich really think about the poor.

'The economy will look better' is quite the optimistic prediction. Two years of a Republican House and Senate, I'm drat uncertain how the economy will look for anything except for growing wealth inequality, deflationary forces in non-personal spending (healthcare, education), and wage stagnation.

Worsening economy means that Obama gets blamed for vetoing regressive proposals of Republicans and gets blamed by the base for not vetoing enough.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

baw posted:

What happened to the RNC trying to minimize the number of debates?

They understand that, in our social media environment, a debate a month keeps frontrunners in the headlines and increases voter turnout come the fall.

Unfortunately, there isn't a contentious Democratic primary.

E:

My prediction? If Romney shows, first 3 or 4 debates will use him as a convenient punching bag until he drops out. Holding the debates so early likely knocks out good candidates with WH vision, such as Rauner.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Yes, if only the debates weren't so early your man Rauner totally would have won. Really sucks about the early debates, guess the people are really losing out. Next time, man, next time.

He's running, only question is when. You don't lay down $30 mil of your own cash for improving the IL Governor's Mansion and lobbying the state lege for northing.

Ask a statehouse reporter, Chicago journalist, or anyone who shares a board position with Diane--Bruce wants the White House, and he's willing to work with Democrats to win it. Christy without the bloat and mob ties, if you will.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

sullat posted:

Just because someone "wants" the White House doesn't mean they're a credible candidate. See Huntsman, Pawlenty, Kaisch, etc.

Counterpoint: Mitt happened. When you're a billionaire and you want in the White House, nobody's going to stop you from selling yourself as a credible candidate. Attack you on it, sure; stop you?

Mitt's happening.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

You can't make a run when you'd have only been in your only elected office for 18 months come Convention.

Whatever you say, Hillary '08.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

Spoiler alert: it's guaranteed to be both simultaneously. Stock up on your booze now

Republicans were against class warfare before they were for class warfare

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Like Romney has any idea how or which clothes from the tailor spontaneously appear in his closet later.

Of course he does. It's Ann.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

An Illinois politician without mob ties? Surely you jest.

edit: or is that :thejoke:

Our mobsters hold elected office.

Seriously, they do. There's a few no-poo poo mobsters in the legislature, and when you get to the local level, welll....don't run for office in a few towns.

I assume its similar in Jersey.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Impromptu survey of racists middle-class whites:

Clinton v. Romney - Clinton
Clinton v. Bush - Tie
Clinton v. Cruz - Clinton
Clinton v. Christie - Undecided
Clinton v. Paul - Billary unanimously
Clinton v. Rubio - Clinton

I think 2016 is Clinton's to lose, except against Bush, where she'll struggle due to her inability to rapidly adapt to Bush's evolving policy positions.

Key notes:

-Clinton is a bitch, which is one of her greatest strengths and why white voters love her. If she presents herself as a soft, bipartisan leader rather than a woman warrior, she'll likely struggle in the polls and and end with a white vote comparable to Obama '12.

-Who the gently caress are Rubio/Cruz/Paul ?

-Romney is a loser, Clinton wins easily

-Christie is viewed as a strong, no-shits man who don't take gruff, and would gobble Hillary if she sells herself as a caring woman

-Clinton ran the country during the 90s as a bitch, which was viewed positively

Survey disclaimers: Sample size under 60, gathered in random drinkkng discussions in Chicagoland over past week. Still, when individuals were asked, "Who do you expect to be the next President?," resounding response was Clinton. Responses which were varients of, "gently caress you/gently caress off/gently caress outta here," were discarded from analysis.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A3th3r posted:

ahhh.. my nemesis MIGF appears once again. Clinton will have to try to overcome 'Liberal Fatigue' if she hopes to win the presidency. America has already had 8 years of a Democrat in the hot seat so it really depends on whether they want more of the same or if they 'Vote for Change.'

Buddy, you must be from Canada, 'cause there ain't anywhere outside an ivy tower where 'middle class white' means 'liberal.'

Nativity In Black posted:

Biden has a lot of natural charisma too.

Even if he doesn't win, having him in the primaries would be amazing.

He's already written one wildly successful SotU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

In his house at Ch'cago dead Emmanuel waits dreaming

Quoth the library,
111th and Amstermoor

Biden can hit Hillary as weak on terror, a random bluedog can hit her on being too far left, Mitt Romney can hit her on being too far right, and all of America can hit her for being inevitable.

Only one man has the namesake necessary to come save the democratic party from making an unforced gaffe.

\/\/\/ Means someone doesn't consider themself goodlooking. Clearly, they're unelectable for '16.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 22, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

sullat posted:

Partially because no other candidate was strong on it (to the evangelical Protestants). If Romney goes nuclear on Huckabee, I'd expect to see something in response denigrating Mormons as not understanding "true" Christian values or whatever.

Which are, what? The centrists positions that Romney is staking out for himself rhetorically? Running for office from the left allows Romney to play up mormonism as more compasionate than Huckabee's religion, selling it as a more benign catholicism.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blunt for century posted:

Romneybot 3.0, now with Empathy Chip 1.0*

*Empathy Chip is still in beta test and not under manufacturer's guarantee. May be hazardous when in use

If empathy chip can survive the Ann test, it can survive anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lote posted:

Its failing the Touring test

Turring test passage not included in empathy chip RFP. Touring test passage was; empathy chip wildly successful at bareback European touring.

• Locked thread