Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

While reading through AI's "terrible car stuff" megathread, someone mentioned that on the factory floor he worked on, there was three-phase electrical equipment sitting (unattended?) on the shop floor and that this was a serious violation of any sane safety protocols. I've never been around such equipment and I don't know much about it, but I always end up curious about machines with the potential to cause horrifying, gruesome industrial accidents. Googling didn't turn much except for some verbose technical explanations seemingly written for electricians and a blog with completely unreadable formatting. So what, in gruesome, horrifying detail plain English, makes this stuff so deadly compared to regular 110/240V equipment, besides just putting out more current? And can it really arc and burn/kill you just from being plugged in/unplugged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Paging Three-Phase to this thread :D

I work with three-phase equipment all the time, primarily Bridgeport mills and engine lathes, and AFAIK the lower-voltage stuff (208v/230)isn't horrifically dangerous - in fact, each leg draws less current than a single- phase equivalent.

Haven't read the AI thread though, maybe he's talking about really big poo poo. I think there's an industrial-electricity thread still active in Ask/Tell.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008
208V 3 phase is not much more electrically dangerous then your standard 120v outlet in terms of shock hazard as each phase is 120v to ground.

The bigger hazard is that 3 phase machinery is truly "heavy duty" and "industrial". If the machine is made to cut, grind, smash, or burn, a 3 phase piece of equipment is most likely big enough to do it to your entire body in seconds. Alternatively a single phase machine made to cut, grind, smash, or burn is likely a kitchen appliance sold on late night TV for 3 easy payments of $19.95

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Drheat posted:

The bigger hazard is that 3 phase machinery is truly "heavy duty" and "industrial". If the machine is made to cut, grind, smash, or burn, a 3 phase piece of equipment is most likely big enough to do it to your entire body in seconds. Alternatively a single phase machine made to cut, grind, smash, or burn is likely a kitchen appliance sold on late night TV for 3 easy payments of $19.95
I couldn't have said it better. To illustrate, here's pretty much the same post I made in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

Here's an industrial shredder being operated without a safety guard and holy poo poo does that guy put his hand way too close to something that he's advertising as "destroys everything"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA

And here's one used for shredding whole animal carcasses before incineration (in this video it's only clean cuts of meat so sfw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIkHKA9nh-Q

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The video linked from the first one with the shredder grinding up engine blocks. :stare:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

The video linked from the first one with the shredder grinding up engine blocks. :stare:
Here's one that can do 450 cars per hour http://www.weg.net/us/Media-Center/News/Products-Solutions/Powering-the-World-s-Largest-Industrial-Shredder

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GWBBQ posted:

I couldn't have said it better. To illustrate, here's pretty much the same post I made in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

Here's an industrial shredder being operated without a safety guard and holy poo poo does that guy put his hand way too close to something that he's advertising as "destroys everything"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA

Homeboy literally gets yanked forward a bit when he's feeding it that roll of insulation. What the gently caress.

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012
Why... why are two of the first examples tampons and pads? Is this a fetish thing?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

BUTT PIPE posted:

Why... why are two of the first examples tampons and pads? Is this a fetish thing?

My guess is because in my experience they're both pretty tough/dense and that video is all about "holy poo poo this machine can shred anything."

Not that there isn't probably a fetish for this too, mind you. :v:

DJ Toxin
May 1, 2007

BUTT PIPE posted:

The sad thing is, without looking at the video first this right here told me what you were watching. The equipment in question is called a Muffin Monster and is used (in my industry anyway) for grinding sewage prior to pumping so as to not damage the pumps with possible debris. Tampons and pads are notorious for clogging up pumps. As for a safety guard, this machine doesn't include one because generally there is no personnel access to the equipment when it is in operation.

edit: Figures I watched it with the sound off, they verbally say what the machine is called. Oh well at least I added what it's for.

fake second edit: And to stay relevant to the OP, Muffin Monsters are available in three phase electric drive though the one in the video is hydraulically driven.

DJ Toxin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 20, 2014

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I maintain 1000s of 480v three phase motors. The consensus is if you touch a live wire not only will you instantly die, you'll fly like 20 feet in a violent explosion of burning flesh and rock n roll.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Homeboy literally gets yanked forward a bit when he's feeding it that roll of insulation. What the gently caress.

Nah, the apple. It's the apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Woolie Wool posted:

While reading through AI's "terrible car stuff" megathread, someone mentioned that on the factory floor he worked on, there was three-phase electrical equipment sitting (unattended?) on the shop floor and that this was a serious violation of any sane safety protocols. I've never been around such equipment and I don't know much about it, but I always end up curious about machines with the potential to cause horrifying, gruesome industrial accidents. Googling didn't turn much except for some verbose technical explanations seemingly written for electricians and a blog with completely unreadable formatting. So what, in gruesome, horrifying detail plain English, makes this stuff so deadly compared to regular 110/240V equipment, besides just putting out more current? And can it really arc and burn/kill you just from being plugged in/unplugged?

3-phase is standard in every home in a lot of european countries, UK being an exception, half the machines in my hobby shop run on 3-phase, basically all stoves, AC and the like in homes are 3-phase. Obviously 3-phase (at 400V) will be very dangerous if you get shocked, but the chances of getting a shock from it is the same as 1-phase equipment.

• Locked thread