Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I ever have a home theater room I'll pay a guy but I have a living room and a 40" TV I sit 10 feet away from

like you said if you can hit exact perfect calibration most stuff looks like garbage so my goal was to hit a happy medium where I can watch things all times of day and with the lights at any setting but black is still black and not bluish grey [lcd] or green [plasma] like on 95% of hdtvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

My Linux Rig posted:

I have a new idea for an ad

some guy will fart into the camera, sigh contently and then it'll cut to a bottle of metamucil

this is legal in the US if you make no claims of what the product is supposed to do. Even prescription strength.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i got probated for making GBS threads on firefly once, good times

My Linux Rig posted:

i dunno all i know is I'm still mad about futurama being cancelled

where's my lovely romance sub plot and stupid nerd jokes fox

it deserved to die

infernal machines posted:

~plays survival horror game at 100% brightness~ i don't get what's supposed to be so scary about this.

survival "horror" is poo poo

"blurr hurrr i only have two fuckoff guns instead of 40"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

if I ever have a home theater room I'll pay a guy but I have a living room and a 40" TV I sit 10 feet away from

like you said if you can hit exact perfect calibration most stuff looks like garbage so my goal was to hit a happy medium where I can watch things all times of day and with the lights at any setting but black is still black and not bluish grey [lcd] or green [plasma] like on 95% of hdtvs

doing this by eye is futile because surround color and ambient light color temperature will influence what you think D65 grey is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the vibe i'm getting is colour calibration is pointless sperg poo poo since it's all so subjective anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

drug ads were funny before they could talk about the actual effects it was like pills flying through the air set to some knockoff of the orb

car ads have the best audio

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pagancow posted:

this is legal in the US if you make no claims of what the product is supposed to do. Even prescription strength.

if they ever need one for prescription strength metamucil, I would suggest replacing the fart with a shart

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
car ads are the worst ads

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shaggar posted:

car ads are the worst ads
*shot of entire car fleet driving across the alkali flats*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Forums Terrorist posted:

the vibe i'm getting is colour calibration is pointless sperg poo poo since it's all so subjective anyway

its not pointless when you're trying to hit a target everybody else is trying to hit

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Forums Terrorist posted:

it deserved to die

but it was so good where else will i get a show about some guy awkwardly flirting with a disfigured woman while i pretend to understand that joke about the uncertainty principle

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

doing this by eye is futile because surround color and ambient light color temperature will influence what you think D65 grey is.

whoa you're literally the first person to ever know this fact so I assume you created that image specifically for this thread and aren't just referencing a hundreds of years old known perceptual phenomena that anyone who's ever designed anything or even taken an intro to psych class knows so now I'm going to foil over all the windows in my living room and never ever turn the lights on again because finding a decent middle-ground setting that works OK 90% of the time, great with the lights at movie watching brightness and is slightly blown out in total blackness would be insanity

thanks pagancow

thagancow

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i just want my color calibration to match my printers so the colors look the same when i print out my show about butts

how can I do that pagancow

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

i'ma buy a 32" 4k monitor to replace my dell 30". because i need that sweet PPI

realpost this site was handy for figuring what I could get away with -

http://isthisretina.com/

I have a p. deep desk, so I'd only have to roll back about 10cm to get the 'retina' effect on a 55" 4k tv.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

My Linux Rig posted:

i just want my color calibration to match my printers so the colors look the same when i print out my show about butts

how can I do that pagancow

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNPH-ColorMunki-Photo/dp/B00169N0BK

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

what I didn't want a color monkey i wanted to know how I can fix my TV printer

how would a monkey even fix this issue

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once spent a whole summer internship working with a getrag spectrophotometer

928 target color sheets are kind of a pain in the rear end

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

a designer delivered me a design last week and the pdf looked great on a computer display but literally hurt my eyes + was entirely unreadable on an iphone display so u may be wrong

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

newreply.php posted:

a designer delivered me a design last week and the pdf looked great on a computer display but literally hurt my eyes + was entirely unreadable on an iphone display so u may be wrong

should have calibrated your iphone

is there a color monkey for iPhone??

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Forums Terrorist posted:

in the worst case you'll see colour banding on an uncalibrated display and that pretty objective

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

even if your settings are good you'll still probably still see banding due to lovely compression

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i get a little frustrated just thinking about tv screen calibration. can't it just be correct out of the box? i don't want to care about something like this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

car ads have the best audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7ijUkgc-4

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

please do not quote advertising stymie or acknowledge him in any way

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

newreply.php posted:

a pdf on an iphone

hmm reading on this telephone seems like a stupid idea why do i keep doing it

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
wilfred is a good show and i like to watch it on netflix w/ no ads but they dont have season 4 so i go tthat elsewhere

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i paid directv like over $100 last month and im tryng to figure out why i did that cause it feels like im getting fleeced

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
its my sister in law's netflix. ftw. gonna get rid of directv as soon as my fire sticks come next week or w/e. prob gonna get a new apple tv if they ever do one

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pro audio

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

I have a new idea for an ad

some guy will fart into the camera, sigh contently and then it'll cut to a bottle of metamucil

i want those super aspirational perfume ads and then right after that an actual person using the perfume in normal context
just like some super suave guy with a stubble and blue eyes and a white suit on a lovely beach with a cabana in the background and this hot lady in a flowy white dress walks up to him and rubs her finger down his stubble then BAM cut to a fat guy struggling with a bow-tie in the mirror arguing with his wife, who's making GBS threads with the door open, about his relationship with a female coworker, then he sprays the la homme and puts it on the bedside table

Adagio

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

AtomD posted:

i want those super aspirational perfume ads and then right after that an actual person using the perfume in normal context
just like some super suave guy with a stubble and blue eyes and a white suit on a lovely beach with a cabana in the background and this hot lady in a flowy white dress walks up to him and rubs her finger down his stubble then BAM cut to a fat guy struggling with a bow-tie in the mirror arguing with his wife, who's making GBS threads with the door open, about his relationship with a female coworker, then he sprays the la homme and puts it on the bedside table

Adagio

this doesn't meet the disgusting bodily nodded quota though

make his wife have violent diarrhea then we're in business

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pagancow posted:

You'll never be the mainstream audience, you're too educated, and have other more refined tastes.

You will never be able to get the mass adoption to watch a show created for you with big network dollars because the model doesn't support a few thousand watching it.

Sorry :~(

I'm glad you finally admit that my watching ads has nothing to do with things I like being on tv

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm watching TV on my 720p Panasonic plasma and it looks great

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pissflaps posted:

I'm watching TV on my 720p Panasonic plasma and it looks great
what are you watching pissflaps?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

FMguru posted:

what are you watching pissflaps?

peep show series 6

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I spend about three hours a night every night with my daughter downstairs while her mum gets some sleep upstairs so I'm watching a lot of tv and movies atm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pissflaps posted:

peep show series 6
pro-tier choice, pissflaps

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pissflaps posted:

I spend about three hours a night every night with my daughter downstairs while her mum gets some sleep upstairs so I'm watching a lot of tv and movies atm
youre a good husband and father pissflaps

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

I'm glad you finally admit that my watching ads has nothing to do with things I like being on tv

same. it's all i ever wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
prime pulled seasons 1 and 3 of yo gabba gabba but ont season 2??? werid.

• Locked thread