Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

yeah, it's weird. sorta like people pathologically hate advertising

i know a guy that works for the local cable company that claims that little over half the viewers that watch recorded shows still watch the ads even though they could FFWD through them, lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i dont think ive used my tv for anything else than appletv in the past year. may have watched a dvd and i think i saw some natgeo once bc my tv is old and always picks analog cable input by default when i start it up

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
there was an article a while ago about a hypothetical ad free internet that claimed it would be $230/year on average

if that was an option and ablock didnt exist i could see myself paying for that. then again the demographic "idiots that pay for a thing that is free" would prolly be incredibly interesting to advertisers

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i hope the EU passes a rule making it so that any smart TV has to have a hardware switch that turns all the "smart" poo poo off and makes it a monitor with some inputs and a DVB tuner at most

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Blackula69 posted:

rip pioneer plasma tvs

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

nah it's fine it's actually really good if you trick it into thinking you are in USA USA USA *rhythmic chant* it owns cos you get access to other apps most which you can't use because AMERICAN CABLE COMPANIES :woop:

im in the EU and mine has all those bullshit american sports apps that idgaf about. the only apps i ever use on it are the store and music apps, and netflix before i canceled my subscription

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
it also has a dedicated anime app somehow

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

pagancow posted:

Yeah but you watching the ads indirectly funds a show. Show Popularity commands a higher price.

Viewers of a show only matters if you think you can Milk a movie out of it since people still go pay for movies every once and a while

not just popularity, also it's target audience. wasnt star trek almost canceled until they found out that it was the only show that targeted the coveted single male engineer demographic?

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
and pedophiles, obv

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
TV advertisers over here seem to buy up the best slots for ads for "embarassing" products. like every single ad break during the most popular quiz show starts off with "ADULT FEMALE URINE LOSS????"

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i wish i had the foresight to hoard pioneer kuros back in the day, those things are worth more now than they ever were

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
lifehack: pay money for electronics that belon g in the trash

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
jfc i hope my tv never breaks bc all these tv janitoring posts had me scoff up a lung

apart from digital signage things what is the best 37" to 42" a man can go and buy in a store today? my panasonic lcd has suited my needs extremely well for the past 9 years and isnt butt ugly so basically i want that but new

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
all the unscripted shows, that went on hiatus during the writers strike

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

the vibe i'm getting is colour calibration is pointless sperg poo poo since it's all so subjective anyway

a designer delivered me a design last week and the pdf looked great on a computer display but literally hurt my eyes + was entirely unreadable on an iphone display so u may be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

angry_keebler posted:

hmm reading on this telephone seems like a stupid idea why do i keep doing it

haha yeah rofl who would want to look at a design proposal for an iphone app, on an iphone

• Locked thread