Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to get a new TV soon and a commercial display is actually tempting

does hdmi-cec actually work between brands now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

welp looks like I'm buying another sony then, probably this one because not having to juggle remotes is worth more to me than any other feature a TV can have

apple tv doesn't even have cec which is pretty lame imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

what do u have thats already sony?

receiver and ps4

the receiver is the big one because I can do power and use the volume controls on the tv remote, receiver remote or Tivo remote and It Just Works

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 12, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Number19 posted:

maybe if you have the right combo of equipment and you perform the right pagan rituals it will work on the third Tuesday of the month

probably not though

it's pretty cool if I want to ps4 I just press button on the controller and it turns on, plus the TV and the receiver which goes to the correct input

this poo poo is so basic idg why it's such a shitshow but companies do stuff like have the same signal for "power on" and "power off"

and no I'm not going to buy a harmony, I don't want to cj my remote

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you are not a neilsen family it makes no difference what you watch and if you watch the ads or not

of course cable/dish companies, netflix, amazon and tivo sell actual viewer data as well but nobody cares [because it might shake up a huge entrenched industry]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

afaict, "old" advertising is just kind of whistling and looking off to the side and pretending "new" advertising, with all its actual quantifiable data, doesn't really exist

what's happened is that now that there's metrics that show that "new" advertising doesn't perform very well money is going back into "old" advertising [which probably performs identically poorly but since there's no way to prove it they'll be optimistic]

most national brands could turn 90% of their annual marketing spend into a price cut and do way better

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect that most marketing management knows how ineffective their efforts are but they're not going to tell their boss "you know what would actually help? take away my $200 million, fire almost everyone in my department and use that money make the product better and cheaper"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how well do you think people would pay for a football broadcast without any commentary or advertising whatsoever

I would pay $5 just to mute joe buck

e: per game

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 14, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

more than 60 hz double lol

all motion interpolation is poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

i thought u wanted 120hz cause 24fps and 30fps both divide into it evenly but everything above that is poo poo

my 2008 tv has 48hz mode for blu-rays

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fun fact: 1080pchart.png was created by panasonic fanboys on avsforum in order to excuse the fact that they were still selling 1024 x 768 displayes in like 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one store is opening at 5pm thursday night

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

which one. i want to make sure i never go there.

it's apparently it's best buy which you should never go to anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't want to be some smug "BUY NOTHING DAY" adbusters strawman but seriously stay home, sleep in, play yahtzee with gramma, boil a carcass into stock, watch a football [or a law & order marathon] and don't participate in this horror

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in 2200 there will be no economy to speak of and thanksgiving will be long forgotten but people will still gather outside and stay up all night in folding chairs the last friday in november

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is there any TV that actually does proper colour without getting into reference monitor prices? I saw this and thought it looked of interest:

http://www.display-central.com/free-news/display-daily/time-to-buy-a-quantum-dot-tv/

this site does detailed measurement and lists how close they can get them to reference
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you may not know this but even our horrible "unscripted" shows full of dumb people pretending to be rich or rich people pretending to be hicks have higher production values than almost everything made for tv anywhere else in the world and if american shows had slightly poorer lighting or were only mixed in stereo instead of surround almost nobody would actually give a poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

american tv shows are expensive because they can be not because they have to be

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there is an existing solution to amping big home theater speakers, it's called an amplifier

unless you think a giant toroidal magnet putting out tons of heat strapped to the back of a tv will improve its picture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do wish somebody would make an actual premium television that isn't gimmicky garbage though, "the best 1080p picture" is about the extent of my needs suiting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

People dont actually like the way rec.709 looks though it would always be calibrated wrong.

Also doesn't help that about 80% of TV isn't color graded right so it looks like poo poo when viewing it to the HD standard (rec.709)

I eyeball calibrated my TV using the thx guide and some test patterns and I know it's "too dark" compared to average because i always have to crank the brightness in video games all the way up but it's an easy light situation in my room so I can leave it there

most people don't even bother matching program black to the letterboxes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I ever have a home theater room I'll pay a guy but I have a living room and a 40" TV I sit 10 feet away from

like you said if you can hit exact perfect calibration most stuff looks like garbage so my goal was to hit a happy medium where I can watch things all times of day and with the lights at any setting but black is still black and not bluish grey [lcd] or green [plasma] like on 95% of hdtvs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

drug ads were funny before they could talk about the actual effects it was like pills flying through the air set to some knockoff of the orb

car ads have the best audio

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

doing this by eye is futile because surround color and ambient light color temperature will influence what you think D65 grey is.

whoa you're literally the first person to ever know this fact so I assume you created that image specifically for this thread and aren't just referencing a hundreds of years old known perceptual phenomena that anyone who's ever designed anything or even taken an intro to psych class knows so now I'm going to foil over all the windows in my living room and never ever turn the lights on again because finding a decent middle-ground setting that works OK 90% of the time, great with the lights at movie watching brightness and is slightly blown out in total blackness would be insanity

thanks pagancow

thagancow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once spent a whole summer internship working with a getrag spectrophotometer

928 target color sheets are kind of a pain in the rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

even if your settings are good you'll still probably still see banding due to lovely compression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Go the gently caress outside for a nice walk or something jesus

e: all of you. Fitness is important

I went to the gym today :)

• Locked thread