Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Alkibiades of Thrace (520-476BC) was, to say the least, not best loved. Arbitrary and often cruel, he had alienated a significant faction amongst the nobles of his court who conspired to supplant the royal house. Now, Alkibiades had no legitimate heir other than his younger brother Philipides who the King was known to detest. Other nobles remained loyal to Alkibiades in the hope that he would choose one of them to be his successor. This vexed the rebellious nobles, who would have preferred to install one of their own number.

In the Spring of 476BC Alkibiades sent Philipides to defend the northern border of the kingdom from raiding tribesmen with only a small detachment of troops in the hope that his brother would not return. In Philipides' absence, the conspirators prepared to overthrow Alkibiades and enthrone their own candidate before Philipides could return. However, two ill chances beset them. First, the cunning King had learned of the conspiracy and summoned his nobles to the palace to root out and banish the disloyal. Second, Philipides, knowing his brother's deadly intent towards him, had hired the notorious assassin Karpophorus to slay the King, allowing him to take the throne. If Alkibiades died, with Philipides away the conspirators would stand accused if they tried to usurp the throne and the popular prince would not be possible to supplant.

Karpophorus had no easy task ahead of him as Alkibiades feared assassins and kept himself well guarded at all times. The King's gathering of nobles turned out to provide his best opportunity. In an all too common example of his fickle nature, Alkibiades had ordered all his nobles to don identical all-covering heavy robes and masks that disguised their voices, "so that each man may be judged by his words, not his name". He had also issued orders that should nobody be banished within the turn of an hourglass, his guards would seize someone at random. The conspirators had been able to identify each other by means of a secret gesture, but were otherwise isolated.

Karpophorus was able to secretly kill one of the nobles and steal his clothes and mask to infiltrate the gathering, but found that Alkibiades himself had joined the throng in similar garb so he could hear what his nobles said and see who was loyal for himself. The assassin was the only armed man in the room and knew he could be sure of killing his man if he had the chance, but he would only get one attempt.

This is a nightless game of Mafia with an open setup.

ROLES

Alkibiades, the King. Alkibiades has a secret command that makes him moderator confirmed as King. If he uses this command, do not vote until the moderator has confirmed the action.

The Loyalists. They win if all Conspirators are banished.

The Conspirators. The Conspirators win if Alkibiades is banished or if the remaining Conspirators plus the banished Loyalists equal or outnumber the remaining non-Conspirators. The exact number of Conspirators will depend on the number of players in the game, but will be revealed before play begins.

Karpophorus, the Assassin. Karpophorus has a one-shot kill command that will remove both him and his target from the game. This action may be taken at any time, including as a response within 24 hours of Karpophorus being banished or either Loyalists or Conspirators winning the game. If he eliminates King Alkibiades, he wins the game and all other players lose.

RULES

There is no out of thread communication in this game.

No fake actions, no bold text other than votes.

Banishment is by majority vote. If 72 real time hours pass without a banishment, one player will be banished at random. The clock resets whenever a player is banished. If the timer expires when the moderator is not available, play may continue until he arrives.

Lurkers may be banished. Try to be active.

There were no Harold Krells in Ancient Greece.

All other standard rules apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jedit posted:

The Conspirators. The Conspirators win if Alkibiades is banished or if the remaining Conspirators plus the banished Loyalists equal or outnumber the remaining non-Conspirators.

Are banished loyalists also conspirators? I don't understand this.

Jedit posted:

Banishment is by majority vote. If 72 real time hours pass without a banishment, one player will be banished at random. The clock resets whenever a player is banished. If the timer expires when the moderator is not available, play may continue until he arrives.

I don't dig the random modkill. I understand wanting to promote activity, but arbitrarily killing some random player isn't the way I would do it.

I also don't see why the King has a reveal if the Assassin can just kill him. I know you say this is your version of Assassin in the Palace, but it really doesn't hold true to it's core when you have an extra scum team.

I don't mean to trash your game, I just think you're trying to "fix" too many things at once. But I'll help you test it out to see how it plays. Sign me up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Met posted:

Are banished loyalists also conspirators? I don't understand this.

Thematically they don't become Conspirators, but their heirs might. In game terms, it balances the lack of a Scum NK.

quote:

I also don't see why the King has a reveal if the Assassin can just kill him.

Because the Assassin can be banished?

Also I had this setup together before you announced yours, so I wasn't trying to fix anything.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 13, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Okay. Hope it goes well. I'm signed up!

• Locked thread