Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentCack
Nov 9, 2014
So the other day I was watching a vid on the implausibility of GunBlades. And it got me all thinking about stuff in video games we take for granted. Like falling in an arc in 2D games, rocket jumping in some FPSs and double jumping.

So let's start by talking about double jumping. To achieve it (if it were REAL) would one need to desend to have something to "push off" of. Or could one just us upward momentum to "jump" again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AgentCack posted:

So the other day I was watching a vid on the implausibility of GunBlades. And it got me all thinking about stuff in video games we take for granted. Like falling in an arc in 2D games, rocket jumping in some FPSs and double jumping.

So let's start by talking about double jumping. To achieve it (if it were REAL) would one need to desend to have something to "push off" of. Or could one just us upward momentum to "jump" again?

I keep a spacebar in my pocket.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Or an ordinary rock.

AgentCack
Nov 9, 2014
There WOULD be a need for some sort of upward thrust for the 2nd jump though...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AgentCack posted:

That depends entirely on how it works. Since you're starting with the premise of "if it were real" you can make it work any way you like, because it's not real and it doesn't work any way at all. You may as well ask "if vampires were real, would they be allergic to garlic?" Sure, if you want. They're not real so there's no answer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AgentCack posted:

There WOULD be a need for some sort of upward thrust for the 2nd jump though...

Hurl the ordinary rock down hard enough and you're good!

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

AgentCack posted:

Yes lets think really hard about mario's jump accel against goombas

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Gunblades are real though :confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
What you do is you do some sick kickflips off the air molecules.

In theory you could go quite some distance.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Science nerd op just got owned by history nerd

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What was the first video game to even have the double jump? Because, really, it is a totally implausible and dumb idea, but it's also become so ubiquitous. Like what was the pioneer?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does Mario jumping on a falling Goomba count?

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Klonoa double-jumps by hurling an enemy (usually a Moo) with mass roughly equal to himself straight downwards. Since total momentum is conserved in the Klonoa-Moo system, for the Moo to be thrown downwards, Klonoa must experience an equal and opposite recoil upwards. In theory, you could calculate the ratio of their two masses by comparing the impulses the two bodies exert on one another. However, as the gravity in the various dream worlds Klonoa travels through is unknown this is still not sufficient to mass Klonoa.

However, we are not without hope. In 2002, Klonoa competed in a beach volleyball tournament - and volleyballs are usually standardized. If we make the assumption that the Moo-patterned volleyball used in the tournament meets the same standard as our volleyballs, and that the court is the same dimensions, it would be possible to measure the velocity at which Klonoa hurls a volleyball. At this point, all sorts of useful measures fall out of simple calculations. (The mass of Klonoa or any given enemy, the strength of the gravitational field in any given dream world, the lift exerted by the propeller of a Teton, and so on.)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What was the first video game to even have the double jump? Because, really, it is a totally implausible and dumb idea, but it's also become so ubiquitous. Like what was the pioneer?
Super Mario Bros had this glitch where if you jumped into a wall and timed it just right, you could jump again. This is the origin of walljumps and probably double jumps. Other than that, there's Metroid 2's Space Jump, effectively an infinite jump. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts also had a double jump.

My guess is it came from glitches related to whether a character can jump or not. Someone accidentally delayed the "can jump" check by one jump and discovered this led to both nice combat maneuvers and cool puzzle jumps. Even a few NES-era games tried to justify their double jumps with some manner of technological reason or tonal consistency (space jump is an anti-gravity device, Arthur double jumps because it's a game where losing his armor means he's just in his undies, jetpacks in quite a few other games).

It's a nice power fantasy that doesn't detract from the game's ability to be difficult, it's intuitive to a casual player and can broaden the scope of an otherwise simple game. To a designer, this was easily recognised as A Good Thing.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 14, 2014

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

In the Devil May Cry series, Dante can jump off of walls. When you get the double jump ability, it is shown to actually be Dante materializing a floor beneath for him to jump off of. Hope this helps, OP.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Someone please review the physics behind Asura's Wrath.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Seshoho Cian posted:

In the Devil May Cry series, Dante can jump off of walls. When you get the double jump ability, it is shown to actually be Dante materializing a floor beneath for him to jump off of. Hope this helps, OP.

Dante also uses his Demon powers to manifest bullets in his guns so he never runs out of ammo. Solid Snake needed a really long bandana to do it, and Big Boss just needed some face paint, or a gun with the feeding mechanism in the shape of an infinity symbol.

None of these methods have been proven to work in real life, unfortunately.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

That loving Sned posted:

None of these methods have been proven to work in real life, unfortunately.

I use my demon powers to keep my Doritos clip from running out mid-fight. :owned:

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Solid Snake had the outrageous ability to detect laser beams by blowing cigarette smoke. Yeah, I'm sooo sure there are magic cigarettes you can keep in your stomach, vomit them out hours later, and on top of that they emit sci-fantasy smoke that reveals lasers? Ridiculous.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Malcolm posted:

Solid Snake had the outrageous ability to detect laser beams by blowing cigarette smoke. Yeah, I'm sooo sure there are magic cigarettes you can keep in your stomach, vomit them out hours later, and on top of that they emit sci-fantasy smoke that reveals lasers? Ridiculous.
He also had a headband that gave him infinite ammo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Malcolm posted:

I'm actually really curious if a human being could actually smuggle smoke-able cigarettes in his stomach due to an injection that suppresses your stomach acids.

Accordion Man posted:

He also had a headband that gave him infinite ammo.

Pardon me sir, it's a bandana. Although spell-check is insisting it's spelled bandanna.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How does physocs work in minecraft world. Why do trees and rocks float in the air. How is an entire waterfall contained in a water bucket. How is someone able to carry multiple stacks of 64 rocks that are each one half your size. Why. How.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm actually really curious if a human being could actually smuggle smoke-able cigarettes in his stomach due to an injection that suppresses your stomach acids.

Couldn't you just seal it in a little plastic bag?

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

How?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nicotine is a really, really loving deadly poison. You could kill yourself with a handful of cigarette butts soaked in water, I can't imagine smuggling cigarettes in your stomach would be great for your health.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Him managing to do this was explained in a codec call. The answer is Nanomachines. Not even joking.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Someone please review the physics behind Asura's Wrath.
Angriness increases his power level via the fight or flight response to external stress, and then he grows 4 more arms.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Buster

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Let's talk about the physics in Senran Kagura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nanomachines, son.

• Locked thread