Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a good, goofy :unsmith: series and I hope this is Horikoshi Kouhei's work that finally sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh hey, the protagonist ISN'T completely useless right off in a combat situation like any other manga would have them be?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gravity/mass manipulation is pretty OP as gently caress. If it works on people, make them massless and flick them into the stratosphere. If not, just make debris light as air, throw it, turn its mass back on before it gets to the target.

If you want to get really pedantic on a "this is why this power is really ridiculous" level if she can remove the "gravity" from the air itself couldn't she turn the area you're in to 0 atmospheres of pressure and kill you?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm having trouble making the connection here. That doesn't seem like it follows even using goofy comic book physics.

EDIT: Seems like it might be a good way to create wind, though.
Since it's make-believe poo poo that can't ever happen in real life I dunno what the hell would happen if you could remove the mass/gravity of air.

The only two things I could guess would be the the unaffected air surrounding the area would rush in and disperse the mass-less air, or the air-pressure of the area would drop to 0 since gravity couldn't affect it. You'd either not be able to breathe, or have basically end up explosively decompressing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Basically the "You're a special snowflake" syndrome taken to the extreme.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Iida actually looks pretty legit sinister in his costume.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think another thing I like about this series is that people actually recognize that Midoriya has a superpower from the very plainly visible destruction he causes when he uses it.

If this was done by just about any other shounen artist/author we'd have some utterly insufferable gag where he had to "hide" his power for some reason or coincidences would happen repeatedly where no one would believe he had any superpowers or some dumb poo poo like that for several arcs until the "big moment" where everyone got to see it for real.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Normally I'd be a bit bummed it's escalating this quickly, but given how this has gone so far it's probably going to own really hard.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FH_Meta posted:

That could very well happen.

But I still want to see what Shadow-flame guy, Hands McGee, and RidleyBrain come up with when the target's the strongest hero on earth and is in the premier hero training academy in Japan.
They attack after his class thinking they can get him during offhours, not realizing that was literally the best time to attack because he has to burn up all of his hero-time teaching the class.

Ytlaya posted:

I have a feeling that Bakugou is going to "come around" fairly early into the manga. He's already showing signs of becoming less of a dick, and once they start to encounter actual "villains" and dangerous situations he'll probably end up more or less friendly with the main character.
Or he'll heel-turn and become a villain for the sake of fighting Midoria.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 21, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Creepy hand guy's entrance was pretty cool. Also you would think more heroes would be on call for something like this?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I read ahead in Portuguese. Someone bribe the scanlators so I can enjoy those chapters in my native tongue.

Also as wacky as the faces get this guy is a really talented artist the more I see.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also, All Might's increasing arsenal of state-themed smashes amuses the hell out of me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if All Might's smash repertoire includes more cities than Detroit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think so. #13 isn't really a fighter, so he fell for the oldest portal trick in the book.

#13 attacked Shadow Dude, but Shadow Dude just redirected the attack.

On a side note, what is #13? Does he even have a physical body anymore?

Also, Hand Guy shattering Eraserhead's elbow is loving brutal.
Monster dude wringing his arm out like a rag is pretty brutal too.

Just FYI the artist isn't afraid of killing people; Barrage was the same kind of weird light-hearted poo poo and people get brutally murdered in that. Oumagadoki Doubutsuen didn't have really any death/ultra-violence in it, but it had wacky super-powered animals and owns if you haven't read it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think what he was saying was that the dude's quirk does more than just mutate him; it gives him power on TOP of his mutant muscles/body. Eraserhead cancelled his superpowers out and his body was so powerful he could still wring him out like a sponge.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really love this dude's style for some reason despite the goofy hapless face thing people tend to have going on because of the jumps to hyper-detail and the really loving creepy design of Mr. Hands.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radish posted:

It feels like everyone in the comic is trying really hard to ignore the fact that one teacher is walking around topless...
Technically the invisible girl is naked except for the gloves and shoes she wears. Not sure why she wouldn't just wear clothes in class since it's not like she really HAS to be invisible all the time but w/e thankfully they haven't gotten terribly creepy about it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Green Intern posted:

I love this dude even more than the Mic guy.

We'll know when Midoriya's mastered the power when he starts getting drawn with all the cross-hatching like All Might.
I wonder if Midoriya will have a superswole transformation mode because it'd be weird to have him get All Might huge permanently or even on a regular basis.

It would also give the whole game away because :crossarms: hmmm super strength, state/city themed smash attacks, and a superswole body? I can't imagine the other students would find out the truth about his quirk THIS early.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Soylentbits posted:

Hand guy seems to believe that All Might is a murderous rear end in a top hat that just happens to be popular. He also treats one of his hands like they're his father's. So do his hands belong to family members? Can he use their powers that way? Did All Might kill hand guy's father? Did All Might's predecessor do it? Will they answer these questions in the middle of a beach arc?
I kinda wish Hands would've went into it a bit more because the idea of villains actually addressing the fact that licensed heroes beating up badguys is pretty much state-licensed violence is kind of a cool angle instead of "WE'RE ASSHOLES AND WANNA KILL STUFF"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Twiddy posted:

He's got the rest of his life in the manga to do that, why let it all loose early?
This particular artist/author has not had terribly good luck at keeping a series from cancellation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Allarion posted:

To be fair to Mx0 though, it was basically competing with Jump's all-star lineup for those years, with your usual big names One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Toriko, but also Eyeshield 21, Neuro, Psyren, Reborn, the return of Hunter x Hunter again, D.Gray-Man, Gintama, Prince of Tennis, To-Love-Ru, and Sket Dance. It only stands to reason it was never able to maintain a stable high ranking when it was competing against those big hitters. Though why nobody bought it, I have no idea.

What I'm curious about is what happened to Double Arts, which actually started off strong before it dropped off in popularity within months. I assume it just couldn't sell volumes, but it's just interesting how it just gradually drops down the rankings till it just ends.

My Hero Academia is ranking and selling well though, so it has a pretty strong lifeline for the time being, especially in the vacuum left by Naruto ending.
Psyren got rushed to an ending as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

That was a surprisingly complete victory for the heroes, really. They managed to crush Noumu, beat up tons of mooks, and drive off Shigaraki and Black Mist, without anyone dying. Aizawa's pretty hosed up and Deku managed to go and break his limbs again, but All Might and No. 13 both survived despite what you would have expected, and none of the other kids were seriously injured.

I wonder if the video game references were a thing in the original or something this group added. The other translation didn't have them but it was also a bit iffy, so they could have missed it.
Do not tempt Kohei, he is not afraid of killing people.

Also it's the first real encounter; kinda sets a tone if you have people dying in the first real encounter with the badguys.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wonder if the police resent the hero poo poo.

Kinda weird that the whole hero thing didn't get folded into the police but whatever I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda hope Midoriya gets a decent looking transformation or simply doesn't transform at all when he starts properly controlling his power. Him becoming the weird shadow-silhouetted hulk with a chiseled face would kinda bug me.

I imagine he'll get to be a bit badass at one point during this festival but no way will he really demonstrate All-Might level power competently unless they're going to go with an angle where the other students realize exactly how powerful he is and react accordingly- like being jealous/angry/in awe of/etc him.

Hmm, I dunno, maybe they'll go with that. It'll certainly draw the eyes of the badguys too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's not just hair. It can be...any genetic material :barf:
Early on I expected All Might to joke about how in the early generations his predecessors thought it had to be some big ritual where you drink their blood from a goblet and that the hair thing was a major improvement.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

kidcoelacanth posted:

Let's talk about literally anything else

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda hoping he at least learned how to control his power a bit here. The whole schtick where Midoriya has to barely scrape over the lowest bar needed to move on since he can't use his powers is already getting kinda old.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can't recall, are we caught up with the raws yet? I believe so but I'm not sure.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:goku:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Speaking of naval laser dude, where is he?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ahahahah this manga owns

No one with few points would want to pair off with Izuku, so that leaves pretty much anyone with a lot of points. Basically, you want Izuku to make it through without getting his bandana taken so other people couldn't make it even further ahead of you given how much Izuku is worth. The high-scoring kids could potentially make up the difference and win in future events but not if someone gets a zillion points right now.

I'm not up on the rules of the human horse thing; don't you lose or something if you fall off? I originally thought it was a pushing competition or something rather than a "steal the guy's armband/bandana/whatever" thing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Because if knocking over the warhorse is a viable strategy I say it's time for a Hulk clap.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mineta's power probably has more use in the disaster rescue area rather than combat, and stuff like his power has been used to great effect in actual comics.

The real question is how does invisible girl make a good hero when outside of being invisible (and only when naked) she's a normal human. Invisibility is great but when you can't really carry any equipment and you're dealing with a world full of gigantic mutant shape people and random dudes off the street can breathe fire or shoot lasers from their eyes or whatever I dunno how great of a power it is at actually saving people.

I dig All Might but making him weaken so incredibly fast after passing his power on is kind of a bummer since it means his secret is going to have to be made known to the students at least sooner rather than later. I'm kinda hoping his power isn't somehow keeping him alive too because that's kind of a hosed up thing to pull on your successor without telling them first.

Also it'd be kinda grim in an unfitting way for the story as it is now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda hoping he gets to show off that he can at least sorta use all for one without powdering his bones at some point during this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If All Might is going to die it's gonna happen soonish if they plan on killing him off in muscleguy form because in the space of two weeks he's dropped from 2-3 hours of herotime to barely 50 minutes and it's only decreasing faster. He eventually won't be able to transform, so unless he's going to die in twerp form we got maybe this arc and another.

I'd kinda hope they'd just have him stick around but well pathos.

Lots of other fun stuff to do.

-Villain Alliance stuff
-Inevitable arc where at least some of Deku's classmates find out about All For One
-One of the students heelturns
-Previous owner of All For One shows up because they want it back

etc etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're interested in hearing Japanese VAs do the comic:

http://vomic.shueisha.co.jp/hero/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kyte posted:

Tsuyu wants everyone to call her by her first name.
For some reason I recall her only saying that to Midoriya, but I think that might only be because he's so polite and keeps using her last name.

Also, new chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah I'm not exactly sure how he plans to use All For One here outside of maybe super speed, which doesn't seem to be it since hotcold pun is raising his hand to defend himself?

Like half of All Might using his powers is him destroying poo poo -indirectly- with the air pressure blasts created from him moving so fast.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm hoping whatever it is, it's impressive since it'll likely result in Midoriya maiming himself a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also still liking how at Yuuhei Bakugou is only vaguely impressive despite his quirk due to his lovely attitude, where Midoriya seems to have the respect of his entire class because he's humble and nice despite being very obviously one of the most powerful kids in the class. If this was any other shounen he'd still be the picked on nerdo and somehow no one would believe he had super powers.