Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Have you ever tried Robert Kirkman's Invincible? It's got lots of that, and plus, like One Punch Man and so on, starts at a clearly-defined place without loads of history like the Marvel/DC stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I keep reading them with the voices of certain well-known anime voice actors in my mind. Like, Deku sounds exactly like Yuri Lowenthal in my mind, and Infinity Girl sounds just like Hynden Walch. It's pretty great. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, this guy has always had really cool animal-inspired character designs. You can just tell he loves cartoons and such, looking at his portfolio of mangas -- Oumagadoki Zoo and Barrage both had great cartoon animals. He's just got a great, fresh, dynamic art style, I'm glad he's finally getting some success.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like the Frog Girl too, her hair kind of reminds me of Violet from The Incredibles!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's a Weekly Shounen Jump manga, you guys. He's gonna be Deku's rival for a chunk of the first 50-odd chapters or so, and then get defeated and become Deku's friend. Like, duhhh! :rolleyes:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gnome7 posted:

http://bato.to/read/_/286698/boku-no-hero-academia_ch13_by_fallen-angels And a link to the new chapter, for anyone who follows this thread for those.

That full page spread was the stuff of nightmares.

Oh my god, Urraka's giddy enthusiasm is so adorable!! Just look at her, she's so into that helpful spaceman! :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TRIGGER should do it after they complete that long-awaited Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer anime. If only...!:sigh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Looks like it's from pixiv. The mangka's twitter doesn't have it, but there are neat sketches.

That's actually not the Kohei Horikoshi's pixiv! That's some other fanartist. I happen to follow his pixiv, and it's only got a few things -- mostly just awesome colorings of stuff!

Grapeboy is my favorite side-character so far. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually, Grapeboy's powers are the best. I love weird powers that are surprisingly versatile even though they come off as seemingly useless at first glances -- that's what was fun about Hunter X Hunter's nen powers sometimes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"I enjoyed a smooth dump this morning, so my balls should stick on these guys for a whole day."
:goonsay:

Also now I guess Yaoyorozu's officially taken on the mantle of "fanservice girl".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's not perfectly clear to me what Portalman (who is totally voiced by Stephen Blum in my mind) did to Spaceman #13 there. Did #13 create a black hole at him, and then Portalguy warped the black hole behind him?

Poor Gravity Girl, though, she's watching her idol get warped into oblivion before her eyes! :(

Also, I'm a little sad that Earjacks didn't turn out to have some kind of hacking/technomancy perception kind of power, if only to have some less-flashy powers around.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 30, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Haha. The fanart for this (while scant for now) is nice. :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Let's think of names for all the superheroes and villains.

Portal Guy -- Dr. Darkness
Handface guy -- The Grasp
Froggirl -- Amphibienne
Lightning Boy -- ... Static Shock :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Maybe each hand has its own power!

Oh god, what if he can detach some of them and make them crawl along the earth like a spider?! :gonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Radish posted:

It feels like everyone in the comic is trying really hard to ignore the fact that one teacher is walking around topless...

I had to do a double-take, because I was like "Wait wait is dominatrix lady really walking around topless??!" Maybe her superpower is the ability to not have nipples.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What I don't understand is how, in a world with "normals" and superpowered people, it wouldn't naturally lead to a situation where superpowered people run all of the power structures of society -- police, government, big corporations and all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

But there are no 'normals' though. Pretty much everyone has a super power.

Ah, no, my comment was in relation to other superhero settings that were being talked about earlier in the thread, which do have normal people along with superpower people.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Things I really loved about this chapter:

1) Grape Boy literally cannot stop staring at Yaoyorozu's boobs, in every single panel he's in.

2) Ochako's hilarious character profile page.

3) Mr. Cement teaching Japanese Lit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just realized we finally saw Tape Guy out of his costume. Kinda goofy-looking dude.

I keep missing him, and forgetting who he is. Is he to the left of Hawkboy in the third panel?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Okay. :kiddo:

Speaking of Hawkboy, I wonder when we'll get to see him in action? What can he do, besides be a Hawk? All we've ever seen him do is stand there and look stoic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You know, this won't be a proper superhero comic until at least one character dies and is resurrected/cloned/wished back by magic somehow.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Can you double up on powers so long as "All For One" isn't a quirk in the traditional sense? For example, wouldn't it be best to give "All For One" to someone with a quirk of rapid regeneration, or super endurance or something of that sort?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

The kid with balls on his head is awesome.

Yeah, I have to say that so far, all the raging about Tsuyu aside, Grape Boy has to be my personal favorite character. Poor little guy. Do your best!!! :unsmith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I love that everyone has come up with a different nickname for Todoroki so far.

Haha, Fever & Sniffles has become this thread's Ape Titan. It's lovely. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm fairly convinced now that Topless Dominatrix Sensei isn't, in fact, wearing skintight spandex.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

She did, there was an 'ouch ouch' panel with footprints that was pretty funny.

Wait, which chapter was this?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Silento posted:

I find this is the way goons are in general. How many different threads are there about cucking? Or Goku? V:shobon:V

There is but one thread about cucking, and it is the Crusader Kings 2 thread. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They probably have a different system for people with alternative, non-superheroic powers. Like this is specifically the superhero academy. Perhaps there is a different academy that trains people like her.

Neeksy posted:

Hawkboy's shadow powers making him a bird person make sense now. Although this feels more spiritual than the sci-fi feeling of most other quirks.

Well, magical powers wouldn't be alien to a superhero setting -- Doctor Strange comes to mind!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

highlight of the loving chapter, that is the greatest facial hair in anime of all time

He's basically Chamber from the Marvel universe.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hah! That'd be hilarious! A superhero where everyone thinks his superpower is to create blasts of air, or whatever, when it's actually super-strength and he's just punching the air really really hard.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

chumbler posted:

loving Mineta. Dude has a goal and a plan to get there.

That's also an... uhhh... interesting take on what Americans look like.

They're the Square Sisters from One Piece!

Man, I'm glad someone finally brought up how Eugenics would totally be "a thing" in a world where genetically-inherited superpowers existed. Like it'd be the first thing on anyone's mind once people learned about how things propagate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In my mind, I can't help but imagine Todoroki being voiced by Dante Basco. It's just too perfect.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So, basically, his quirk is to be the Kwisatz Haderach? That's pretty awesome! But yes, that chapter happened pretty much as one might expect it to. Thinking about it, by the rules of shonen, for the hero to survive to the final round and be the hero, he can't possibly be knocked out in the first round. Given that his opponent has an unbeatable mind controlling power, therefore, the only way for the hero to advance would be for him to break through by the magic power of "sheer willpower".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

An omake chapter is out. It turns out that Midnight's costume really is just really sheer tights... but apparently didn't used to be back in the day?? :raise: At least Mineta's happy!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DeadBonesBrook posted:

This arc continues to disappoint with skipping over several of the fights like that, why even have a tournament arc with so many characters if fights are going to be resolved in one panel or in the background? Why not just make it a smaller 8 man one but give the fights the time they deserve

Would you want to read 1 on 1 fight scenes for an entire year?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I can't wait for Deku to do a headbutt and make his skull explode, revealing the manly chiseled face of the next All Might.

Like gray-eyed Athena from the head of Zeus!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Speaking of Ippo,Deku totally has those "glowing dead eyes" that boxers in Ippo seem to get when they're really serious, half in a trance, and about to kick some major rear end. Those are the eyes of a champ there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Can the invisible girl see herself?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I would really love to see a prom arc. That would be the best. Who would be taking whom to the great Freshman Prom?? Oh gosh! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Twiddy posted:

Creepy things ARE creepy, no one can deny that tautology. But in order for a tautology to be applicable the concept and definition itself has to be valid. What's creepy here?

Isn't the discussion of what is or is not creepy inherently creepy in itself? Man, we're getting pretty philosophical here!!