Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Midnight's design is just one of those things you kind of sigh at and move past becasue comics are loving terrible and at least she isn't giving birth to her own rapist or something.
it's just titties, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

私は売春婦が大好きです。

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

You can't make this up.

Ms. Marvel's alternate universe son rapidly aged into adulthood abducted, impregnated and inflicted amnesia on her and then she elopes with him when he has to leave our dimension because she loves him.
going by the artstyle/coloring this is from before sexism was invented. why does anyone still care.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

... Yeah, I'm just going to leave this here...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

That's all 100% literally true though.
yes but who the hell cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I too support this manga's target audience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope there's a sexy china girl who has the buns and martial arts skills that every chinese girl in anime has

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think japanese are perfectly capable of writing mexican characters okay, because japanese are people, and all of them are individuals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

papasyhotcakes posted:

I don't know dude, look at this:

Actually I think I will make the second one my profile pic, it is hilarious.
yes, an individual japanese person drew that, and he does not affect other japanese people's ability to depict mexican culture at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

papasyhotcakes posted:

yes, I know, it is called a joke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Hell, even the Jeanist is giving me really creepy rapey type vibes with his reforming "bad kids" speech, whether it plays out like that or not.
what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Maybe it was the translation I read but he basically goes on about how he specifically chose Kacchan because too many of the previous hero interns were "good boys." But Kacchan's a "bad boy" and he's going to "reform him." It was probably a translation error or something but it didn't sit well with me when I first read it.

Like I said, it's probably a translation error.
it didnt sit well with you because your brain is broken

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and Endeavor, who's an rear end in a top hat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, random thing that came to mind: Is the police chief's dog-face a quirk? If so, that must mean that people with quirks can get involved in regular law enforcement and not necessarily be forced into the hero side of things. Though I suppose it could be exclusively a 'if you have a non-combat quirk' thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

yeah there was a cop who showed up earlier who was stated to have a lie detection quirk.

Oh right, I forgot about that guy. Seems like a pretty interesting bit of worldbuilding, wonder if it'll come up more fully. At the very least, it's interesting that Stain seems to have no problem with quirk cops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

It's one thing once there's confirmed bad writing on the table to address, critique, and possibly workshop, but going on and on about some perceived, hypothetical slight that hasn't even happened yet is kinda dumb in my opinion.

If this new character sucks, we'll know soon enough. The time to panic and jump ship will be then.
but yandere manic pixie dream girl! i read the words manic pixie dream girl once, that makes me smart!

MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm not even seeing the issue, it's a single image with a character's face and some blood on the wall. You're assuming an awful lot on awfully little. What exactly is wrong with the design? All you can see is her hair and the dark circles under her eyes. And part of her sweater I guess.
she's making a kind of manic expression, which as we all know is sexist because

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

calling her a manic pixie dream girl doesn't even make sense, that trope is when a female character just exists to be interestingly weird enough to improve the male lead's life and pull him out of his shell. which i really, really doubt will be this character's role, considering the massive bloodstain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

She's gonna give Shigaraki a hand
i think he has plenty of those already

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

manic pixie hand girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyte posted:

P sure even Japan has converted over to smartphones nowadays. While their flip phones are way more advanced, they're still outdated tech.
Their flip phones are outdated tech, but it's more 'eh, it's cheaper' and not 'I am either starving, or I am going to use this to call in a hit and then toss it into the river."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The boots look like they have holes around the edges.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

The dawn of wide-spread superheroics would probably see a major boom in the fashion industry.

Kinda want to read a comic about that now.
the fashion designer was the best part of the incredibles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really see what makes rhino worse than any other 'hey it's a big dude that the hero has to outsmart' villain

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Better than the heartripping that was Maes Hughes. I still don't know what happens in FMA past that point.
cool stuff that is worth reading

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

Vestigial is probably the wrong word to use, since vestigial implies it had a use in the past. It's not that I think they need to have notable value, negative or positive to exist so much as I think that "the ability to pass on an ability" has no reason to exist outside of this one really specific circumstance. Without some other kind of ability on top of it, no matter how small or inconsequential, "the ability to pass on an ability" isn't really an ability. It's a nothing. Not every power needs to be a strong combat power or even have positive worth (the ability to change the colors of flower petals stands out as one minor one from X-Men), but "the ability to pass on an ability" has nothing until there's another power added to it.

I suppose what I'm complaining about in reality is that the backstory for One For All comes off as really contrived and rushed to me, like the author either couldn't think of something better or just wanted to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. Which probably pleases most people here since everyone else seems to love that he gets arcs out of the way literally as fast as he can, but personally I think he could stand to slow down a touch in some of them and expand on some things just a bit more.

It just seems really convenient that he just happened to have "the ability to pass on an ability", and just happened to have a brother who could steal and grant quirks who just happened to not know that he had a quirk and then just happened to grant him an exceptionally useful ability that just happened to mutate in a really useful manner to end up with someone who happened to be perfectly poised to take on his evil brother. It's too much in the way of convenience for me. It doesn't by any stretch ruin the manga or even close to it. I just think it's a misstep in the storytelling and comes off badly because it's so quick.

If it was given a chapter or two of it's own (and it may be in future) these things would have more room to be expanded on, you'd get to know the characters involved and their stories, which would make it come off a lot better.

It does make me sure that at least some of the previous One For All holders have had quirks, because "the ability to stockpile quirks" is kind of worthless without quirks to stockpile in the first place. At best All Might and Deku are just adding a normal humans base strength and speed etc. on top of what's already there, which isn't much on it's own. Maybe they add a low level multiplier to all stats, as it were instead, but more than likely there were a few people with quirks in the past that granted super strength, speed etc.

*crawls out from under rock 5000 years after fiction is invented*

alright, time to post on the internet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jintor posted:

By the way, what's Class B President Kendou's quirk? I forgot.

I don't think it's been shown yet, actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing with Bakugou is that he'd never be an outright criminal. He wants to become a hero for the praise he'd get, the attention and the admiration. He wants people to view him as someone better than them.

A villain doesn't get that. They work in the shadows. They're feared, but no one except other villains admires them. The average person spends their time hoping they never see a villain. If Bakugou said gently caress it and blew up an apartment or something, he wouldn't be admired, he'd be condemned. He might get attention, even negative attention, but then he'd get locked up and forgotten about.

Bakugou is a bad person, and if left to his own devices he'd absolutely cause damage and do bad things, but I think he'd never outright go 'time to kill heroes/innocent civilians because gently caress it.' like an actual super villain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nearly all of the poses are fighting game references to be honest. no. 13's reminds me of tager from blazblue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but which pokemon is sasuke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That looks like one stinker of a game.
everyone has like ten moves and there's literally 0 mechanical depth, and also try tried to imitate all might's shading but it just makes him look like a monster

also the roster's all sorts of hosed up. Mineta and Aoyama are playable, but not Tsukuyomi or Shouta.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Begemot posted:

Well it is a licensed fighting game. There hasn't been a good one of those since the Bleach games Treasure did on the DS.
dengeki bunko fighting climax was alright

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Another Tsuyu appreciation post: her voice actor. Listen to this loving "Ribbit!", she puts her heart and soul into it.

aoi yuuki is the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radish posted:

Tsuyu is cool because she looks like a frog.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elfgames posted:

allmight is a big egotistical phony, he puts on a big show of "for I am here" and his big smile and he always saves everyone, but in reality he's just one scared broken man doing everything he can to keep the illusion of justice alive.
yeah, that last thing is what makes him a hero

this manga has some kinda standard writing places and some of the characters are pretty one-note (granted mostly the side characters who can get away with it) but it actually has some really interesting thoughts on heroism/justice and expresses them in a way that isn't just bad 90s batman edginess. It's cool to see.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even endeavor, who's an rear end in a top hat and a prime example of what stain is talking about, is shown to at least care about saving people in the most efficient way possible (even if it's just to stroke his own ego). the hero side of things is pretty nuanced for a shonen manga - there's people who sincerely believe in justice, people who just do the best they can and view it as a job like any other, and people who see it as an easy way to get famous but are still willing to put their lives on the line for others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if there ever was concept pics, but from what I understand Jump's editors weren't sure All Might's design would be popular (since y'know it's pretty unique) and wanted him to be more traditionally good looking and whatever. But I don't recall ever hearing they wanted him to have a completely different personality as well.

people are just projecting because they have weird insecurities about the concept of male characters being attractive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009