Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I understand it, Bleach peaks around the Soul Society arc early on then sort of goes downhill from there and never really stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Geez that’s like 2 arcs I think I’ll skip it

Just watch or read Yu Yu Hakusho instead. It’s basically Bleach’s premise done right.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I don’t think I ever read the YYH manga. Is it any different from the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

The first arc of the anime is the second arc of the manga. The manga’s first arc was a very different work. I don’t know if the anime has the awful awful ending of the manga, either

Really? What was the first arc of the manga about then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

As Roth stated, Yusuke stays a ghost for longer in the manga, and there's a bunch of episodic adventures that got cut from the anime as a result.

Aside from that, the anime and manga are fairly faithful until the final arc, where Togashi was in misery and pretty much dying while writing and drawing it weekly, and it wound up just being all over the place, and dark in some weird ways. The anime does a good job of smoothing over the ending, expanding on some of the fighting in the final tournament while toning down and removing some of the dark and stupid elements of the last arc.

So out of curiosity, what sort of dark and stupid elements were cut or toned down from the final arc in the anime version?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

Maybe they're referring to Mukuro being a sex slave and the story regarding that? It was pretty much cut out.

To be honest just watch the anime version of the final arc because it's much, much better. The final episode is actually really touching and a satisfying wrap on the whole series.

Yeah, I’ve seen the anime but never read the manga. Good to know that was apparently the correct decision.

Speaking of which, is the recent YYH OVA any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back on topic, is there a chapter this week?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope Horikoshi takes this week off to draft and post sketches of his new Mirko spinoff

Speaking of spinoffs, how much involvement does Horikoshi actually have with Vigilantes? I’m pretty sure he’s not the one drawing it at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There hasn’t been an announcement that MHA is ending at some point in the near future has there? Because it sort of looks like they’re starting to head in that direction at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, that's a really good "Everything is hosed now" chapter.

They'd better spend so much time on this when they animate it.

Speaking of which, has there been any news on Season 5 yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I forget if it’ll likely be included in the next batch but I’d kind of like to see them go all in with the anime adaptation of the My Villain Academia arc, complete with a new OP, ED, and title card (maybe even switch over to having Shigaraki or one of the other LoV members narrate the episode previews at the end).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I mean, they usually have two OPs and EDs a season, so they'll probably have one all about the MVA arc. I'm not sure what you mean by "going all in" compared to the OPs they've done in the past. I guess Shiggy doing the opening narration instead of Deku would be one change up.

I meant just fully commit to the fact that the LoV are the stars of that particular arc and have them replace all of Deku’s usual bits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You joke, but that seems like the kind of thing Toriyama would do. :v:

I’m pretty sure Toriyama forgot Oolong could shapeshift like he forgot that Lunch even existed. Or at least, I can’t really remember him transforming that much (or doing anything important for that matter) after the original Dragon Ball.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

even one-armed Mirko's good enough to claim spots 1-10 by herself

Everyone else dies, this is now the Mirko and Mina Show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Obviously it's going to be Mina. She tried to tell us from the beginning! Her hero name was going to be Alien Queen!

I forget, have we ever seen what Mina’s family looks like? I’m not sure if she’s actually an alien/monster or if she just looks like that because of her Quirk.

Either way it wouldn't be that out of place in this series since we've seen people with bird heads, snake heads, a talking mouse, Asui's dad is a humanoid frog, a literal wolfman in the most recent movie and probably more I'm forgetting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 21, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

So...uh...apparently the girl can use her illusions on people's brains to essentially mind-control them

:stonklol:

I don’t believe she ever actually uses this power in the movie though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For example, if the second movie is to be taken at face value Tsu’s “is a frog” ability apparently also extends to being able to create poison from her skin. And of course Ochako goes without saying.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Vigilantes is starting to feel like it's getting close to a finale. Like this is going to be the last arc before their happily ever after. And you know what?

I'm okay with that. I love Vigilantes, and of course I want more, but I'd respect the hell out of thm for deciding "this is where we want it to end."

How many years before MHA does this take place again? Because I’d personally love to see a few of these characters pop up in the main series at some point.

An anime adaptation would be nice as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vigilantes is very good and I really wish they’d make an anime adaptation one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, I’m pretty sure Shounen Jump in general has done worse in the past.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mina got did dirty :mad:

As of late this series seems to have a strange aversion to letting almost any female character not named Mirko do anything cool (though Mt. Lady seems to be putting up a decent effort at the very least).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

*Taps microphone* I miss Tsuyu.

Out of curiosity, was the last time she actually made an appearance in the manga that wasn’t just a small cameo?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tbp posted:

yeah i asked this i think in a one piece thread a week ago or so but man, the tendency for a story to start with "yo if you try really hard you can do it" and eventually it becomes "oh btw the guy who was trying really hard? also has a godlike advantage nobody else does" is a little tiresome.

See also: Naruto

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently a new two part OVA was released today, it’s currently up on Crunchyroll:

https://www.siliconera.com/make-it-do-or-die-survival-training-my-hero-academia-ovas-will-air-august-15-2020/amp/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, the new OVA that just came out recently is actually pretty good for the most part. Give it a watch if you haven’t already.

Basically it’s about class 1-A taking part in a rescue themed training exercise but there’s an accident and they wind up having to rescue themselves.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 16, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

It actually makes Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki look like the dumbest mofos in the class. Do your part and get up the stairs you dingdongs.

That too, but I will admit “BE MY CANE” was kind of funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how does Midnight know Pop again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So it might not be the last arc in Vigilantes, it's just that Koichi can't keep going as the Cruller with Endeavour on his rear end.

Has there been any official word on whether or not Vigilantes is ending? The current arc feels kind of final to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

What are the chances Aizawa's eyes can be fixed? Looks like they've been completely gouged out by Shiggy, atleast the right eye

Also, wouldn’t that essentially render him Quirkless?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

This is all going to be nice to see animated. Rip the poor team that has to animate it though.

Speaking of, has there been any announcement regarding Season 5 yet (not sure how long the gap usually is between anime adaptations)?

On that subject, I kind of hope My Villain Academia winds up getting its own unique OP, ED, and possibly even title card (hell, maybe have one of the LOV do the usual opening monologue and episode preview as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 31, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, anime OPs generally spoil stuff all the time (for example, the current Boruto opening and the most recent two One Piece openings).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The anime operates off the assumption that you've already read the manga.

I’m pretty sure there’s a few animes out there not based on manga whose openings still contain at least some slight spoilers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 31, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

You're not thinking big enough. Think about how powerful those shits would be if Navel Laser were powered up with One For All.

I forget, if someone who already has a quirk of their own gets One For All does their existing quirk get a boost of some kind?

Also, not sure why Ochako suddenly has a ponytail but it's a pretty good look for her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, I didn't even recognize her at first because of the different hair.

Same actually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, that arm attachment (or whatever it was) Deku got in the first movie seemed to work pretty well. Why not just build him a sturdier version of that so he doesn’t shatter most of his bones every time he fights?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which I forget, did All Might actually have his own quirk prior to getting One For All or was he in the same boat as Deku?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

this is also another reason why vigilantes is good, because it explores the parts of that setting that aren't either gated behind a seemingly endless high school campus or currently exploding

There really needs to be a Vigilantes anime one day (hell, if they wanted they could do it during the gap between seasons of the main series).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been hoping they'd do this for a while. Instead of filler arcs, spinoff arcs.

That’s not a bad idea actually, just animate the side stuff between seasons so that way they won’t have to worry about catching up to the manga while still maintaining a steady stream of new content as opposed to having several month long gaps between shows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure if there’s been any official word yet but it definitely feels like we’re in or approaching the final arc of Vigilantes at this point at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks good, do we know when next year this is supposed to start yet?