Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, you can stop rereading and start just reading cause Chapter 14 is up.

Frog Girl is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GodFish posted:

Call her Tsuyu. :v:

A ha ha, I knew I was setting myself up for that.

But yeah she rocks.

Also the author rocks when it comes to describing things in boxes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, Grapeboy's powers are the best. I love weird powers that are surprisingly versatile even though they come off as seemingly useless at first glances -- that's what was fun about Hunter X Hunter's nen powers sometimes.

Grapeboy's hardcore. He threw so many grape balls his head started to bleed, just like he said it would. Very metal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think so. #13 isn't really a fighter, so he fell for the oldest portal trick in the book.

#13 attacked Shadow Dude, but Shadow Dude just redirected the attack.

On a side note, what is #13? Does he even have a physical body anymore?

Also, Hand Guy shattering Eraserhead's elbow is loving brutal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seems like Fire and Ice needs to keep his fire side on ice to make sure it doesn't inadvertently burn everything around him. That's gotta suck.

Also Momo's drawback doesn't seem like much of a drawback, given that she can just create more clothes to wear. Wonder how long they last, though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Regarding what the principle says, I'm sorta confused by which translation I've read is correct.

Both the English and Korean version has the principle comparing Hand Guy to students of the school, with a potential to grow.
In the English version, the principal says that if the school could give Hand Guy help... but then dismisses it as wishful and naive thinking.
In the Korean version, the principal says that if Hand Guy were to find some excellent backers / supporters... and then states that it's something he doesn't want to even think about.

Also in the English version, Ochako states that she's working at her family's construction company but in the Korea version it's her family that runs a construction company, and she doesn't say anything about working, only that she wanted to.

Can anyone with a knowledge of Japanese tell me which one's more accurate?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought Punk Hazard was a very nice reference.

That said, the guy's dad might be the hero Endeavor, who's mentioned in Chapter 3. Might explain his complex about needing to stand out and prove himself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Management.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Todoroki's team is made up of some goddamn hard hitters. You've got the 2 scholarship students with broken rear end powers, a dude who electrifies anyone who touches him, and a guy built for speed. On the other hand, Todoroki's powers open him up to accidental teamkilling, and lightning guy's desperation attack zaps everyone around him and turns him stupid. Wonder how that's gonna work.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Also Grape is going to lose his poo poo if he ever meets Mt. Lady.

Especially since Mt. Lady has no qualms about using fanservice to get what she wants (like free takoyaki, which she's shown eating in the same chapter).

Echoing my love for Bakugou.

Also I have no problems with the fangroup's translations, since the only one who appears to be cussing with impunity is Bakugou, and I feel like it works given the guy's personality. Also I just love the phrase "I'm mad loving calm." It's beautiful.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really see where this whole "Bakugou will become a villain" thing is coming from because it seems like the dude obviously wants to be a superhero. He's grown up his whole life being looked up to because of his powers, and he lives in a world that worships popular heroes. He and Deku were the only ones in their class to apply to UA. What's being a villain gonna get you? People would fear him, but it seems like Baku wants accolades and adoration over fear. Being a superhero lets him rub his superiority over villains and other heroes. It might not be for the right reasons, but his goal of being a superhero isn't a bad one. Becoming a villain would be like an admission of giving up and admitting that he wasn't cut out for the job.

Hell, when he was faced with his limitations (too hot-headed and existence of a dude with even more broken powers) he just decided that he would do his best to become the best, as opposed to Sasuke's tactic of teaming up with whoever was likely to give him a power boost. All his loss did was make him reaffirm his goals. He outright told All Might his intentions of surpassing him.

I like Bakugou. I like that he is getting some character development, and I look forward to seeing what the author will do with him.

Hell, if anything, Icyhot is more like Sasuke. He comes from a noted family, is calm (thought not half as aloof as Sasuke), apparently has a complex (father, as opposed to brother), and is considered a genius / top player. Still a fuckton more humble and nicer than Sasuke though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's flashy and it's powerful. Considering that being a superhero is mainly about grabbing as much attention as possible (see: Mt. Lady) even if you have to steal it from other heroes (see: Mt. Lady) it doesn't come as a surprise that Bakugou's power is seen as great. Also, it's not like villains are always gonna be weak, or even human for that matter. Most of the villains during the USJ arc were particularly weak, with the only notable exceptions being the main 3 and maybe the electric guy who jammed communications in the first place. You had monsters like Noumu who could tank a blow from All Might, and there's always robots. You want robots destroyed? Bakugou can do it and he can make it look good. Fly all over the place with his explosions, let out a massive blast that just fucks that poo poo up.

He also does appear to have control over his explosions, and it's not like a single explosion is always guaranteed to main. It also augments his hand-to-hand combat skills, as shown during his battle against Deku.

Skin-hardening guy has no presence cause his abilities don't really turn heads, and that's like a complex for him. The guy thinks of his own quirk as generic, and the presence of someone else with pretty much the same quirk comes as a blow to him during the first race.

It may not be the most broken, the most useful, or the most interesting, but it's an awesome quirk in my opinion, and fun to watch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter 31 is up and it turns out that despite his fiery powers, Endeavor is a cold-blooded jerkface.

Pretty deep chapter. Forced quirk marriages sound loving horrifying.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the trio that's going on with Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki, especially with the title of the chapter.

You've got Deku, who was born with nothing. No quirk, which was supposed to mean no chance, no dreams, no nothing. But even so, through hard work, he's gone beyond the realm of what everyone thought was impossible. He grew up with everyone treating him like crap, but now he's seen what it feels like to be on the top like All Might. He's got friends who trust him without any reserves, friends who acknowledge him and seek to surpass him, and the guy with the strongest quirk in his class has marked him as his rival.

You've got Bakugou, a born winner. Everyone around him looked up to him, including Deku. So he can't stand been looked down upon. But he's learned that there's always someone better. He's no longer the frog in the well, and his new classmates aren't afraid to call him out on his poo poo. He's also seen humiliation from the guy he used to bully, and barely escaped being knocked out of the tournament through sheer determination. And given that he was eavesdropping on Deku and Todoroki's conversation, he's seen what it's like for someone at the top. I'm hoping that he grows further as a character and develops a more complex motivation. He feels like the middle ground between the two extremes that are Deku and Todoroki, and I hope he gets to return to the spotlight cause he seems to be getting pushed away in favor of the Deku and Todoroki rivalry. Also because I just like him.

Then you've got Todoroki. He wasn't just a born winner when it comes to quirks. He was specifically engineered to be the best. The second strongest hero specifically sought out the mother with the ideal quirk to create him. And given his actions, he's got a better grasp of his power than most. He was probably trained by Endeavor too, regardless of whether he wanted or not. He was born with everything, but he refuses to use everything at his disposal because of the very conditions he was born into.

The All-Might and Endeavor dynamic is pretty interesting, too. You've got the natural hero at the top by following his heart, while the second place hero does everything he can to raise his own ranking but finds himself unable to go above the wall that is All-Might. Endeavor is constantly envious and bitter that he's not the best of the best despite the fact that second best is still a loving huge thing. It's like how I've read stuff about it being better to have the bronze than the silver, cause the silver is just a reminder that you couldn't get the gold. All-Might's new to this teaching thing, and he just happened upon his disciple unlike Endeavor, who did everything he could to ensure he could have a son that could make up for his failures. It's the all-too real cliche of the parent forcing the child to live out failed dreams. Like forcing your son to play football because you had a bum knee (I'm pretty sure this is the plot of several movies in America), or that thing in Assassination Classroom with Nagisa and his mother. Yet, when you get down to it, Deku seems far happier than Todoroki. Does that dude even smile? I guess you could say that All-Might tries with all his heart, while Endeavor just tries too heard and thinks too much? All-Might doesn't really care about standing out, which is precisely why he does. He's a more approachable and 'human' hero than Endeavor, who's obsessed with rankings.

I just really like this series so far and I believe that it'll continue to be amazing. gently caress yeah quirk fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Tetsutetsu passed? Everyone expected his team to be in 3rd place but it turned out to be the guy who appears to have mind control powers.

Tetsutetsu was teamed up with the chick with Plant Hair and the Skull Dude, and they somehow lost their points.

It would be cool though.

Poor Kirishima.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the whole situation is hosed up. Married against your own will cause your family wanted that sweet sweet Endeavor money, so you take it out on your own son, who's innocent. Like, who does that? Who sees a woman and goes "I'll buy her" instead of thinking that there might be something wrong with forcing someone to have sex with you?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shinsou's quirk would be awesome for hostage negotiation. As long as he can get the hostage-taker to answer him, the hostage is as good as saved. Or he could work as a liaison with the police and temporarily stop villains so the police can slap on handcuffs and arrest them on the spot.

And yeah, I'm really liking how the author is exploring the flaws of a hero-based society. Shinsou's dickish attitude even makes more sense, since it's resentment towards the chosen ones mixed with him laying the grounds to use his power.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The one thing that stands out is Endeavor mentioning Todoroki's brothers. That means Todoroki wasn't the first child. Only the first successful one. Jesus loving Christ Endeavor.

I'm happy for Shinsou.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not related to this chapter, but thinking upon it, Aizawa's claim about the flaws in UA's entrance exams carry a lot more weight when you realize that his quirk is just like Shinsou's in that it's at a disadvantage due to the rules. Shutting down quirks really doesn't do jack when you're up against robots. It's only on a stage like the tournament where you can really show what you're capable of.

Still, Aizawa was able to become a hero, so that bodes well for Shinsou.

It's also fun to think about certain powers, like the Copy guy's, in context of this universe. Normally, power copying is a boring and cliched power but I feel like it's a lot more limited and interesting in the context of the My Hero Academia world. Especially when you take costumes into consideration. Copy guy might be able to copy Bakugou's explosions and throw them back at him, but if uniforms had been allowed in the contest then things would have been a lot different since Bakugou could have just stored up sweat and let 'er rip in one go. Also, what sort of costume would someone who uses Copy wear anyways? Do you go for flexibility? If working in a team, you could wear a costume that can make the best use of your teammate's quirks. If you know what enemy you'll be going against (and thus the quirk you'll be copying) you could get yourself a costume that could make use of your enemy's quirk. Though that would be really expensive in the long run.

Shinsou's costume could probably use a voice changer and a disguise kit so villains don't know they're actually talking to a guy who can take control of them.

What sort of costume would Invisible Girl even use, anyways?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I get that it's the joke but you'd think in a world of quirks they'd figure something out. I mean, heck, they've got two invisi-people in the same grade and who knows how more elsewhere.

Tooru's pretty great cause of how energetic and hyped up she is about pretty much everything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I wonder what the hell the proper translation is for what Grapes is saying.

Well, when I read the (unofficial) Korean translation, I got the impression that Grapes was saying that Bakugou was a sadist. I didn't get any kind of connotations with homosexuality at all.

Then again, there's no guarantee that the Korean translation is better, and my Korean isn't as good as my English so I may have just interpreted the Korean wrong.

It's cool that Momonaga was the one to notice Uraraka's plan. I guess when you copy other people's quirks, you need to be perceptive enough to figure out unique ways of using them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

Female lead/primary love interest ain't ancillary, bro.

Now if this was Frog Girl yeah there'd be more concern.

I don't know what I would do if they took Tsuyu away from me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Midoriya will punch the ground and use a block of concrete to block Torodoki's ice.

He will then use it as a battering ram / shield and run at Torodoki to no avail.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Deku is going to cry super tears.

His tears will melt Torodoki's ice and drown out Torodoki's fires.

Water > Ice and Water > Fire

Pokemon had it all wrong.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Todoroki looks terrifying in that last page. Sorry Deku, but I want to see him going up against Bakugou.

I love that expression. It just seems to convey a wide range of emotions. Joy, sadness, confusion, relief, exasperation, etc. etc.

The author does extreme expressions really well. Like the Torodoki vs Sero fight, right before Torodoki unleashes his attack. Bakugou when he's pissed. And so on.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought her name was Kendou.

She's the chick who gave up her spot for Tetsutetsu and Ibara.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-032--Smile--Prince-of-the-Idiot-Kingdom?id=222001

She seems to be the leader of the team, and given that teams seem to be named after their leaders (Team Tetsutetsu, Team Midoriya, etc.), I figured her name was Kendou.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving love Best Jeanist's design. And his name. It's also cool to see the different types of heroes and each hero's way of looking at what makes a hero.

Also Kendou has a Chinese-themed uniform, huh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Who is the other trainee with Yaoyorozu? I don't recognize her. I'm guessing someone from class B?

I believe it's the chick from class B. Think her name's Kendou. Her team conceded to let Tetsutetsu's team head into the tournament.

You can see her here:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-032--Smile--Prince-of-the-Idiot-Kingdom?id=222001

Comparison:
http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/48/4

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Her name is Kendou Itsuka and is indeed from class B. She likes to rub the steel skin dude with the ridiculous name on the head which greatly annoys him. :3:

Wasn't it Momonaga or whatever his name was that she pat on the head? The copycat guy?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-042--And-Now--The-Finals?id=229066

There was also this fancomic, which takes it to a new level.

Level Slide posted:

Thank you kindly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember too much about this manga than I should for my own good.

I need help.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's... Umi, yeah? From Love Live?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A new omake for My Hero Academia is up!

It's just that one page.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I'll drop it, I get it. I prefer different art than you. This doesn't mean I want to gently caress/marry 15 year old imaginary characters though; what the gently caress is going on in your head that that's the first thing you thought of?

Let us not confuse waifs with waifus.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2 spoiler images have been out for a while, but no raws or Chinese scans of the new chapter yet, much to my disappointment.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

TBF it seems like the primary theme of this work is going to be education so Shigaraki should come into his own eventually, hopefully.

So My Hero Academia is the Assassination Classroom of Shounen Jump.

Or would be, if AssClass wasn't already the AssClass of Shounen Jump.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the Chinese scans.

God loving drat Stain is powerful. He's on a whole different level from Shiragaki in terms of fighting ability. He's got this incredibly strategic style of fighting where you have to pay attention to everything he's doing because he's constantly attacking you in different ways at the same loving time, like that quadruple threat he used against Torodoki. He's also goddamn terrifying when he gets serious.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter is up!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd actually be interested to learn Stain's criteria for determining who is or isn't a true hero. Iida's brother seems like a pretty sweet dude, but he must've done something for Stain to consider him an acceptable target. That or Stain isn't as thorough in his grading as he'd like us to believe, I guess.

Also, :krad: combo attack.

I think Stain is just really stubborn and set in his ways and possesses a very narrow frame of what a hero should be like.

Stain probably views any hero who benefits via being a hero as unworthy.

Like, no matter how nice of a person you may be and how pure your intentions may be, if you get paid from being a hero, you're probably in Stain's poo poo list.

And the manga does show that earning a living as a hero means that you end up taking actions that aren't what you'd expect a normal hero to do. The first chapter has heroes trying to one up each other, like the case with Mount Lady and Kamui. There doesn't seem to be much in terms of teamwork when you're dealing with the average villain. It's all about standing out, cause fame means more jobs and sponsorship and money. The quintessential gently caress-you-got-mine experience.

Despite his fame, All Might doesn't appear to make a living off being a hero. We don't hear about him having a hero agency or sidekicks, while Endorph and Ingenium and so on have bigass companies (Ingenium had over 60 sidekicks according to an earlier chapter).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chinese scans are up for the impatient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish the translators weren't so liberal in their use of the word "man" and swearing in general.

I can understand Bakugou, given who he is, but having the other characters use it seems weird.

EDIT: That being said, I love "Midoriya, my boy!" so much. It fits perfectly with the jovial image I have of All Might.