Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My friends tell me that the Big Three distinction was also made in Chinese web forums, referring specifically to One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, so I don't think it's exclusive to the western fandom.

One the topic of the Big Three title and what qualifies for it, these serializations were singled out by fans not just because of their popularity at the time, but for the sheer durability and visibility of that popularity. They remained the three most popular, and best-selling, serializations in Weekly Shonen Jump from 2004 to 2010. When you remember how cutthroat competition in Jump is, that kind of staying power is incredible (recall how there was a bit of handwringing in this very thread when Black Clover managed to overtake MHA in popularity for a month). Not each serialization alone, but all three of them together. For the bulk of the aughts, they were effectively the face of the magazine. This doesn't mean they're all the best selling of all time, as Dragonball and, last I checked, Kochikame beat two out of the three. (It's kind of common knowledge One Piece is the best selling manga in history going just by book sales alone, though I'm pretty sure Dragonball has the lead in global licensing) It's just that there was a conspicuously long period of time where these three dominated WSJ's popularity rankings and biannual sales charts, hence why they would be recognized for that accomplishment.

But that aside, Slam Dunk was actually kind of ridiculously huge in its heyday wasn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He is being extremely literal with this description, btw.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

By "west" he means "foreign" because there's evidence that similar distinctions are used in China and Korea too, though how much of that is them picking up on western fandom terminology is up for grabs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh it's pretty obviously a reference to western superheroes, I just think the photoshop joke was funny and people trying to tear it down out of sheer pedantry is, to put mildly, tiresome.

And when I think something's too pedantic, then something has clearly gone wrong.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

This is a photoshop btw.

Let's spend a couple pages mulling on it to be sure.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

That face...

I'm impressed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rent-a-Bot posted:

The most important thing here is that Dekumom's birthday is Fourth of July.

hahaha

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I also like that MHA didn't get BONES'd with an anime original ending like quirks being from aliens or time travelers from the future or something

Whoever was in charge of the first FMA anime must've been working through a rough time in his life.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's exactly why people use it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

paul blartt mall cop left an indelible mark on American popular culture so it fits

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I want the #1 hero from the US to be a superpowerful Otaku who names his moves after Japanese prefectures.

Come to think of it, there are a lotta One Punch Man fans in the US.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Horikoshi took this opportunity to show off the strength of his art fundamentals, especially composition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Horikoshi is a really loving good artist, y'all

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Terper posted:

E-Eraserhead...!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Condiv posted:

i bought a gutsman i found at a cvs once. that's the extent of my anime/game merch

fake-edit: oh wait i got that limited edition raiho too

heck yea, raiho

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a legitimately great track.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's a lot of classmates and not every one of them is going to have a story that knocks it out of the park.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

What happened to Deku's hair.

uravity

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mineta is a creeper who's constantly getting owned for it but he also has the potential to be a better person than even he realizes and we see glimpses of that every so often.

Though getting him to work out his attraction to the girls around him in a healthy way without harassing them until horikoshi decides he'd rather develop Mineta as a more-fleshed out character and not just a Comedy Lecher anime stock character.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also he's funny and seeing him get owned both by other characters and by readers is also funny.

But when people complain about Mineta they're actually complaining about the editorial culture that considers his stock comedy archetype as something that's okay to include. And that's perfectly valid.

I say this as a creepy sex pervert who relates to Horikoshi when he says Mineta is the character most like him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/boku-no-hero-academia/en/0/150/page/1

phantom menace

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yo, my b

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I believe in Mirio

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

OST for season 2 is dropping. Putting this here since it might be spoiler material for the anime-only people.

When the gently caress will THIS play? Are we getting the mall confrontation I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuTwBgKpUVQ

It played when Shinsou brainwashed Deku.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To actually be allowed to use your quirk outside of a private setting you need some sort of license, like the provisional hero license. I do wonder if there are other, more limited licenses for relevant quirk use in other civilian industries, though.

I also wonder about the state of the rest of the world outside Japan, though that's probably beyond the scope of the story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hah

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Weekly Shonen Jump has a pretty "boy's club" mentality and it's comes through in a lot of places.

Heck One Piece introduced a female fighter with an interesting backstory a few arcs back and narratively tossed her into a bin in the sidelines in order to focus on her father. And a bunch of readers were all like "yes, I prefer her as a distressed damsel to be protected by her much more important father, who I really sympathize with, and if you had kids you would understand."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean yeah no it makes sense, just pointing it out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Let's be real, Rebecca wasn't actually that interesting. It was a pretty boilerplate One Piece Tragic Backstory™.

For a while I actually mentally logged Kyros' own perspectives as part of Rebecca's backstory so it made her seem more interesting than intended. Though the retroactive reveal that no, actually Kyros is the real focus character of the subplot kind of chilled the entire thing over for me, and I don't think I'm alone on that.

Now that it's done I get what Oda was going for and I respect that, but I'm not going to lie and say I liked how it turned out. Especially in a serialization, and even a magazine, centered around fights and adventures that routinely gives short shrift to female characters as fighters and adventurers in their own right.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 19, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:same:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not even looking in the anime thread, the urge would just be too strong.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do think Vigilantes has more room to explore interesting stuff about the setting even if it's by a different author.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MHA transcends alignment systems

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to keep dissecting this and there's nothing you can do to stop me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

according to the paradigm of Morals-Ingredients and Ethics-Structure then Macadamia, as an ingredient-neutral yet structurally rebellious name, should be Neutral Evil while the bi-rebellious "Green Naruto" moniker should be Chaotic Evil furthermore

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

holy poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell yeha, semantics

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Oh dear god