Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
http://bato.to/read/_/286034/boku-no-hero-academia_ch10_by_fallen-angels

Well, that's not quite what I expected, but almost how I was expecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I hope not; after all, Zeppeli did a number on the last thing that frog was on.

(More on topic, I want to see what gets sent to the school to take on All Might. With a group of villains like that, it's gotta be interesting looking.)

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
That could very well happen.

But I still want to see what Shadow-flame guy, Hands McGee, and RidleyBrain come up with when the target's the strongest hero on earth and is in the premier hero training academy in Japan.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

They could go the route of the original Yugioh manga where every villain gets handicapped, tortured or outright killed. :v:

Hey, some of those guys just got horribly injured in ways that would likely require pricy medical procedures to heal. Or put under very strong illusions.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know what, translator? I like you and your note.

(Also the way that the plot shook out. Easily forseeable, but nicely executed.)

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Quincruxed quirks! That chapter came out fast. At this rate we'll be up to par in no time flat. And yeah, that's one spread of villians.

In addition to the ones before I spy the local version of Poison Ivy, a modern day Wizro, The Great Leon, one that's either Pestilence or the 10,000 Volt Ghost,somebody whose nozzle fingers will surely shoot something vicious, and ... guy that I can't tell if he's got a mask on or no face.

What can these guys do that makes them confidant enough to take on a guy that can turn off powers, a black hole maker, and All Might?

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 2, 2018

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Dan7el posted:

All the villains look pretty creepy except for the girl in the front who looks like she has dreadlocks. I guess dreadlocks might be considered creepy by some folks, though....

Dreadlocks gal was the one I called the local Poison Ivy. She looked plant-y to me.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
But it will still be more reasonable than the super-strong guy that claimed to have the proportional strength and toughness of a walrus.

I'd say that it's best to assume that whenever anyone says that they have some kind of animal powers, just go with it, otherwise you're gonna find so many holes.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Didn't she have a 5.something time in the dash from her jumping ability?

EDIT: 5.58 seconds, if anyone was curious.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 26, 2014

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I understood it that the grapes on Grape's head were his power. Sticky, bouncy, removable, and most important of all, throwable.

Granted, I'm not sure what his limit is, but I think it was a good amount given the side jump test.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Obviously, that's why it'd be the name of his farewell attack.

Although it could lead up to him then living out the remainder of his time in his normal body. With a different name. But the same (more or less) hair.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that Eraserhead just happened to be unlucky enough to have a quirk that stops working when he blinks and also have dry-eye.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, earlier on you can see a school outfit just kinda floating in the air. It's probably her.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
To be fair to Izuku, I'm pretty sure that at least 75% of all the kids with any degree of super-strength have probably imitated All Might in the theme-named attack department. And probably just as many without super-strength, but they likely stopped doing it before middle school.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I'm hoping that the mad scientist has some Rasputin issues with his/her appearance, so that we get to see somebody in an obviously fake white mustache and beard getup with jet black (or curly blonde) hair.

See 'em putting on age makeup before going out to experiment, those kinds of things.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know, it occurs to me that All Might, especially the All Might of now, isn't the best kind of person to try and exposit to. Which only makes the comparison to the Senator even funnier to me.

So, really, Hands McGee wasn't about to get his whole spiel out.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
http://bato.to/read/_/291261/boku-no-hero-academia_ch20_by_fallen-angels/1

So, is it me, or does every 'issue' feel just on the side of too short? Despite being, you know, all the same size? Because I want more. Three chapters more.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Ah, the tensioooon of a sports festival. Nothin' like it.

(But this is also the nation's top school for producing heroes. A sports festival there has to be intersting. I'd also say a great target, but there's already been one failed attack not too long ago. Probably won't be another, but if there is it's not targeting All Might.)

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know, on page twenty, with the close up on All Might's eye, I at first thought it was showing some kind of spying device hidden in a dark corner. Then on the next page I saw and realized my mistake.

But now I'm going to wonder if there was a Blackmist aided intrusion and that's how Mr. Tablet was informed.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
New chapter and I'm liking the reporter lady. Also we have some appearances by some old 'friends.'

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Well, unless you do something explosively memorable, then you get a buncha different nicknames and not a few.

Isn't that right, Mr. Shigaraki!?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Lemme guess, she's wearing a body stocking. :P

(Although my silly quirk guess is that Icy-Hot's mother has costume makeup powers and she when she's not using them on set, she makes her family look cool or adorable as she desires. Icy-Hot doesn't have her powers, but he has inherited her fashion sense.)

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
No, it's my joking explanation for why Todoroki's got the two tone hair going on.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I'd accept an anime original end if, and possibly only if, they made it a riff on the first episode. And it ends with Deku saying something about fostering the next great hero, only to get interrupted by something.

Waking up, running out of budget, almost anything.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that the important thing is that he doesn't want to leave behind a trail of corpses and maimed villains. It's hard to get popular if you leave behind either charred and badly burnt bodies or shattered and frostbit corpses.

And if you're not popular then what will happen to your branded merch?

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 5, 2018

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The general rule is that that stops applying when you fight a brick, though, because you probably won't kill or even permanently wound them no matter how hard you hit them. He's conscientious about his powers, but we haven't seen much of an upper limit to what he can do if his target's health and safety isn't a concern.

Well, to a degree, yeah. But unless he decides to become a brick hunter, Todoroki is going to face a lot of squishies, which means that he's got one of Izuku's problems. TOO MUCH HIGH-POWER, MAN. However, unlike Texas Mack and Izuku, he doesn't have to worry (as much) about collateral damage.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 1, 2015

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Has anyone heard anything about the vomic that's supposed to be out on the 10th?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Iida's power was perfectly optimised for this, but he's just not a very imaginative, creative guy, and imagination and creativity were the real winners in this event. Gee, would you look at that, a character arc to pursue.

In a different sense, I think that his two big problems were the tightrope and Todoroki. The first one is a situation where his enhanced legs aren't of any use. The second can make his legs into a liability.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I was under the impression that it was armband for points, knock down for an out deal, but I freely admit to not knowing the rules from Peter.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
With how things have been going, it would not surprise me if the highest scoring group actually started the next event at a big disadvantage or with an equally large price on their heads (either all the same or divided equally).

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I suppose it really depends on if OUR AUTHOR, DEAR READERS, was referencing the Pillars of Hercules or not. On the one hand, it's a little obscure. On the other, Herc is a popular character for DC.

On the third hand, which is probably one of the ones that Shirageki called Father, it could be referencing Charles the 5th (of Germany, Italy, Spain, others) and then I don't even know what the heck.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i kind of wanted to find out what skull kid's power was though. oh well, i'm sure it will happen eventually

I think we'll all be fine as long as his power has nothing to do with masks or moons.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Newfound resolve aside Midoriya initially didn't give a poo poo about the tournament since he correctly told All Might himself that 1) he's not into heroism to get famous, 2) doesn't give 1/5th of a poo poo about being scouted because he's already in possession of one of the most powerful quirks on earth and under the tutelage of the #1 hero.

It's just that him winning seems too obvious I guess that bugs me. Unless the tournament gets interrupted but uggghhh I hope they don't do that.

I'm actually hoping that the tourney gets interrupted, but not by an attack or anything. I hope it gets interrupted for reasons that would normally delay a big sports event like very heavy rain, sudden high winds, thunderstorm moving in, something like that.

Especially if we get a few panel gag of it seeming like there's a villain behind it, but no. It's just the weather.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Pyronic posted:

I could have sworn early in the manga that all-might told him that he had way more time to prepare his body and practice with the power so he didn't do dumb poo poo like breaking every bone in his hand repeatedly, but Midoriya was so set on getting into the school that they had to do as much as possible before the entrance exam so he wouldn't just kill himself instantly.

At least from a quick re-read the "Aim to Pass! American Dream" plan's purpose was to get Izuku to the point where having and using his new quirk wouldn't be instantly fatal. The later revision was to adjust to how even back then Izuku was overdoing it. But given that we see him still doing exercises idly, there's also a part of it where he continues so as to better aid the adaption or over the ten months it just became that much of a habit.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 7, 2015

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Jintor posted:

Yeah but they're on like their 5th generation of quirks. Someone in-universe has probably noticed by now and is attempting to mould kids via names.

"Quirks" is also probably the best name for powers that isn't powers that I've seen so far.

Given that the broad strokes of quirk inheritance are definitely known, most people just look at their quirk, their partner's quirk and see if they can cover both with one name.

If not, well then it gets a little guessy.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I haven't seen the spoiler scans yet to totally confirm but, well, bars:

Midoriya gets 0.

You know, that spoiler, if completely true doesn't surprise me in the least. Basically just for Todoroki's own, earlier, reasoning.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

kinmik posted:

Holy poo poo, All Skel's face. That's something you don't see every day.

Maybe Deku's dad is more famous than we thought and he'll be making a reappearance to take his son under his wing? I'd love it if it were Endeavor though too.

I'm not sure which slayed me more. That or Bakugou.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Nah, obviously Deku's one nomination comes from either Caim of Caerleon or his partner, Red. I can't think of anyone more deserving of such a reaction.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

tsob posted:

Is there anyone else it could actually be? It has to be a big time pro hero and Endeavour and All Might are really the only two big names we have. Aikawa, Midnight, Black Mist, Cementoss and others have popped up - but none of them have been shown to be big enough to deserve that reputation. It could be someone new, but I'd doubt it given the reaction.

If we're just talking about being big enough, then perhaps it's Mt. Lady? I can't think of anyone bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I think that it probably depends on how actually sealed and/or protected the outfit is. It could be a very armored or reinforced suit that's not sealed and so worthless against what we've seen of Midnight's quirk, or jut normally sealed and thus pretty proof against it while being kinda a wash as far as protection for the size goes.