Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aw, the costume his mom made for him already got ruined. Sad.

Xoidanor posted:

That can't be good. :stonklol:

There's probably bad stuff out there, because of course there is, but the art of her I've seen is pretty good, at least. That post is actually what got me curious about the series; decided to look it up after seeing that. Discovered that the rest of the comic is really good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kidcoelacanth posted:

- Iida initially gives of the vibe of a super smarts kind of guy but I really like how it seems that he needs to have things explained to him often.

I like Iida, he's the "smart guy" but he can also be kind of obtuse and miss obvious things and such; rather than the usual insufferable know-it-all, he comes off a bit more real. I know people like that.

Waffleman_ posted:

Translation: MORE FROG GIRL.

Seconding this.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meme Emulator posted:

Imagine taking off at a full tilt sprint, and youre just as strong as before, but suddenly you weigh 20 lbs. Youd either immediately faceplant or rocket into a wall. I can imagine a ton of ways to use her power nonleathally. In this test she doesnt even have to fight, Rocket legs is smart but dumb, I can imagine shed be able to just pick up the fake nuke and walk out of the building with it if she came up behind him, he wouldnt expect someone to just walk away with the big heavy target.

It's actually paper mache, Iida himself pointed this out. (I missed it the first time too, laughed when I was rereading the chapter and saw that.) Though picking it up and walking away with it would still be pretty funny.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

Yeah so Iida is the best character.

Basically, yeah. Iida is my new favorite character in this.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those valid points aside, I like that Deku, despite his professed goal of helping and being nice to Bakugou, keeps ending up going "and I'm going to be better than you" at him whenever they start actually baring their feelings. He wants to be a "good friend" and stuff, but there are some lingering feelings there.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 22, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, was it just me, or wasn't the one person we got a center-frame back-of-the-head shot of during the the reporter thing reminiscent of the hands villain? (i.e. It was totally the hands person because that wasn't exactly subtle?) And then the shot of the gate at the end... Those are some really powerful hands there.

Also Iida is still the best.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Creepy hand guy's entrance was pretty cool. Also you would think more heroes would be on call for something like this?

Between hand-man being a creepy, creepy dude and Tsuyu being great, this is a really good chapter. "Bakugou's always fuming, so he won't be very popular." "You bitch! I'll be popular, too!" "See?" You're the best, frog girl. Roly-poly astronaut is pretty great too, really. Lot of good things this chapter.

Also, got a better look at the villains emerging from the portal shot; the portal is the weird smokey bartender dude from before. You can see his eyes at the top and stuff.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 23, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something I realized earlier, but Uraraka idolizing No. 13 may have been foreshadowed in her costume; it looks pretty space-y, like a futuristic space suit or something from a sci-fi anime, and 13 is, well, an astronaut. Between his personality and them both having sort of space-y powers as well (zero gravity and black holes respectively), her looking up to him really makes sense, too.

Also, man. I love hands dude's design; he's really super creepy. While the hands on his face are the most notable, the ones all over the rest of him are interesting too; the ones on his arms are in positions suggesting someone grabbing him or him having his arms folded, and the ones on his shoulders amusingly look almost like they're giving him a massage. And then there's the ones on his neck, which almost appear to be strangling him and push the creepy up another few notches. I really wonder what his deal is; given that he seems to be the leader of these guys (he's always the one talking and gets the most focus, and is the one who gets the weird, unique font) and is implied to have been the one to have destroyed the gate, he must have a serious quirk beyond just having a lot of hands.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HiveCommander posted:

"Perchance, has something been altered?"
Such the elegant gentleman, for a villain :allears:
As much as I like vice prez, Tsuyu is pretty drat amazing.

Oh, yeah, while hand dude is still my favorite villain, between his design and just how ridiculously malicious he is, the super-polite void man is pretty great too.

And Tsuyu is still the best. Though, those are some interesting groups they've been broken up into; funnily enough, the larger the group the more terrified its members seem. The group of four against the void guy has at least half its number looking scared, and of the Deku-Tsuyu-Mineda group only Tsuyu seems completely composed, while fire-and-ice dude is not only alone against some villains but perfectly calm, he seems to be winning because he's just completely ridiculous.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twiddy posted:

Assuming good writing (ah who am I kidding, of course it is) that's probably because it's the best split for narrative reasons. All the villains are assumed to be equivalently powerful in the eyes of the reader, while the heroes are assumed to have a currently unknown hierarchy in power. By extension, the weaker members (as of the moment) will have to use numbers to defeat the enemy that only takes one fire//ice dude to handle. From there, it's obvious that the weaker members will be less confident and more frightened of the opposition, while the stronger members will be a lot more confident.

I hope this is accurate because it then follows that Tsuyu is one of the strongest in the group.

Tsuyu also has the advantage of being in her element, surrounded by water and stuff, but yeah. Despite placing in the bottom half of Aizawa's test she seems pretty capable. That works for Deku too really; he's not quite as composed as Tsuyu, but he's also the one making the declaration that they need to fight, matching his powerful but uncontrolled and dangerous quirk.

Topic of the villains, I really want to see the hand guy do something besides stand there and bemoan how annoying everything is (though him being this perpetually-simmering pot of rage is pretty amusing to me in its own way). The void gentleman is putting on an impressive showing and has Aizawa pegging him as the biggest threat, while the mooks are getting taken out by Aizawa alone, but we haven't gotten to see the hand guy or the weird... Brain thing in action yet, and they're the other two "big" villains, what with them being the three we keep getting to see. Though, brainy guy's gotten far less focus than the other two so far; shared panels and the one solo panel at the start of this chapter are all he gets. I wonder if he's going to end up less important, or if it's just because he isn't quite as chatty as the other two.

Man, rereading this, Aizawa's pretty great too. "Oho, can you erase my quirk too?" "Nope." And he just punches the guy in the face instead. Eraserhead rocks. Kind of wondering where No. 13 disappeared to, though; we don't get a shot of him after the groups are scattered, even as Aizawa is facing off against the hoard of villains and hand guy continues to do nothing. Is he the true source of the void guy, maybe? On the one hand it'd go against what he's stated about his power, but on the other it'd explain how the thing just manifested there before and moved around so fast to intercept the group. Its face kind of matches his helmet too, what with the two white spots amid the black.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ConanThe3rd posted:

So they're trying to ice All-Might because He inspires people to be heroes? or was that just something Deku thought and dismissed (IE: "Like I'd know!")?

Well, they keep calling him the "Symbol of Peace"; maybe they're trying to shatter the peace he keeps. He is a deterrent against crime and a major factor in the current state of the world all on his own, after all. Multiple people, himself included, seem to believe his death or his reputation being taken down a notch would result in really, reallt bad things happening.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, yeah, that's a pretty good sign that Hands was the one who wrecked the gate. That was brutal. Also no, Aizawa, you're awesome. Don't die, please.

So, that's two villain names we've got now between these last two chapters, "Mr. Shigaraki" and "Noumu", the latter of whom is an "artificial human".

Also, Todoroki's line is pretty good. "But since I'm aiming to become a hero, I want to avoid doing horrifying poo poo like that as much as I can."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, brain thing (is it Noumu or is that Hands, it's a bit unclear) got a pretty strong "debut"; while it's been doing next to nothing previously, as I've commented on, his first major action being wrecking Aizawa like that... Wow. Also, ouch. That looks horrible. Things escalated really, really quickly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 1, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

For anyone wondering, Noumu (脳無) can be translated as brainless. 脳 means brain, and 無 means none or nothingness.

Hm, probably the big muscle thing then, since, despite its massive exposed brain, it doesn't come across as particularly sharp, and it'd be kind of funny for the thing with the visible brain to be named "Brainless". Now we just need to know is Mr. Shigaraki is the hand person or the shadowy dude, and what the name of the other one is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's see. Iida is fueled by orange juice, Bakugou relies on his sweating... Tsuyu's power doesn't seem to have any inherent drawbacks that we can see, but she's also obviously a frog person and stuff. I don't think weaknesses are explicitly a part of the powers so much (like "you can do this, but there's this") so much as just facts about how the powers work or conditions for their use. One For All is ridiculously strong, so if you can't endure it it will break you, the explosion and engine powers require their fuel or catalyst, etc. Sometimes it's only a "weakness" the same way running really fast will tire you out eventually.

Though I think Aizawa's power doesn't cause dry eye, he just has it, hence someone commenting that the power's kind of wasted on him in the chapter it was revealed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

It also seems that everyone's names is related to or a pun on their Quirks, so we may be able to guess the Quirks of the remaining students based on their names:

Hm, any hint as to which Shigaraki is, then? I tried looking up the word but I got some town known for its pottery. (I actually eventually managed to look up which of the three it is, but I'm wondering if the name happens to be a clue.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Sero Hanta (Nondescript Boy)

Kanji - 瀬呂繁太
Translation - His name is a pun on "セロハンテープ" (serohantēpu) meaning "cellophane tape".
Quirk - Sticking things to other things?

Oh jeez, I just realized something, and looked back to confirm it was him: This kid, he's the one with the futuristic-looking armor with the crazy jaw thing, right? Black and orange color scheme, upper-right corner here?

His helmet's a freaking tape dispenser. Also he seems to be shooting tape out of his arm, which is weird and kind of gross, but hey.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's happening when he's blinking, for whatever reason, since he otherwise wouldn't deliberately break his line of sight. Hands is taking note of signs that Aizawa's tiring out and blinking more often, hence his subsequent monologue.

Or the translation. The point is that's when Eraserhead is stopping his quirk and a sign he's tiring.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Mr. Hands would be a really, really unfortunate name for that villain.

Very minor spoiler (actual name) I found out while trying to find more art of the characters and stuff: Apparently Hands is the Mr. Shigaraki the mooks were talking about a chapter ago, which is what I was thinking since the void thing didn't seem the type to give orders. Has a first name as well but that can wait until it's actually revealed.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 2, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, that's all three villains named. Shigaraki Tomura, Black Mist, and Noumu. Black Mist's politeness disappeared when he was chasing Iida, on a tangent; kind of disappointing, since I was enjoying him being the ultra-polite void man.

Also, wow, All Might is pissed. Angry face in hero-mode; even when Bakugou was about to kill Deku he had that smile of his. This will be interesting.

Edit: I wouldn't call breaking Eraserhead's arm to pieces "practically nothing", Deku. Like, I know it's not quite their stated goals of killing All Might or the students, but show some respect for you teacher. Even Shiragaki admits that he's cool, he doesn't need your sass.

But yeah, it's interesting, they seem so worried about "normal" pros showing up when their goal is All Might himself. Shiragaki's planning to leave when he hears Iida got out, but when All Might shows up without cavalry behind him it shifts to "well then, let's do this", leading me to believe that, whatever they have planned, it's not a thing that can stand up to a mass assault. They definitely have something up their sleeve tailored to taking out All Might specifically, and All Might's growing weakness is not going to help matters there. Noumu's definitely the primary component, though Black Mist might be a factor too; Black Mist's trickery would probably be a challenge to deal with, and Noumu seems to be resistant to All For One's strength. Other than possibly jumping in for a killing blow I don't see Shiragaki himself stepping into this, though, since his quirk seems to be 100% offense so far and against All Might that will probably just get you killed before you can act.

Edit again: Jeez, there's a lot of good stuff in this chapter, really. Bakugou being calm and thoughtful, however briefly, is awesome too. And then there's Uraraka and tape guy, of all people, managing to be pretty badass and flinging Black Mist around as Iida gets the hell out of there. Tape boy in particular is pretty impressive; Uraraka runs off without saying anything, and yet he's able to follow up her actions (including catching exactly how she did what she did, regarding Black Mist's physical body) immediately. Chimera-octopus dude from the last chapter was able to stop him briefly as well; some of the side characters in this are no joke, silly as their powers may seem at first.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 6, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mindblast posted:

I'm still not sure what the full scope of Hand Guy's powers are. At first glance it appears to be the ability to crush whatever he gets his hands on but what's the meaning of the other hands in that case.

As far as we've seen they... Don't do anything. I mean, we haven't seen much, just that he somehow tore apart the school's gate and that when he grabbed Aizawa's elbow it started breaking apart (the clothing on it seemed to outright disintegrate even), which doesn't really have any connection to the other hands that I can see. Shiragaki's kind of a mystery right now, much like Noumu; Black Mist is the only one of the three we've got a pretty good idea about, since we've seen his power, his weakness, and a lot of him talking. It might be a weird science thing like Noumu being an "artificial human".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki (Hands's real name) is out of his loving mind. It's great. He's like a human version of the angriest dog in the world, just paralyzed by malice most of the time. Much as I want him to actually do something him just sort of standing there growling and being progressively more unsettling for the rest of the series would be pretty great too.

Seriously, what do those hands even do?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a surprisingly complete victory for the heroes, really. They managed to crush Noumu, beat up tons of mooks, and drive off Shigaraki and Black Mist, without anyone dying. Aizawa's pretty hosed up and Deku managed to go and break his limbs again, but All Might and No. 13 both survived despite what you would have expected, and none of the other kids were seriously injured.

I wonder if the video game references were a thing in the original or something this group added. The other translation didn't have them but it was also a bit iffy, so they could have missed it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cyrus_zane posted:

Now I'm seriously curious. Just what is hand-face's power? It can't simply be kung-fu death grip. Maybe he's actually insanely strong, maybe those hands are there just to hold him back, maybe when he goes to his final form the hands go away.

When he grabbed Aizawa, the latter's arm seemed to start breaking apart; the clothing just disintegrated or disappeared or something, and his skin started cracking it looked like. Between that and how he somehow tore the gate to pieces (it was a pile of rubble) I think it's a bit more than just super strength.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically, the police and the heroes hold different positions and have different jobs, from what I can see. The police are, generally, still like the normal police, near as I can tell, but for actually subduing the big bad villains the heroes have the authority to jump in and personally handle things, at least provided they don't screw things up too much themselves. They beat up and capture the bad guys, then the police arrest them and stuff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki's interesting, because on the one hand, as the last chapter indicated he's apparently meant to be some sort of symbol counter to All Might being the "Symbol of Peace", and apparently he's very effective as such. On the other hand, he's also, as stated here, something of a man-child and rather out of his mind, or at least ignorant and being misled by whoever was on those computers, as well as possibly an artificial being like Noumu is, which would explain things like his lack of records, the aforementioned personality stuff, and his general weirdness. On the third hand, which is probably one of the ones grabbing one of his arms, even with his being a man-child who is prone to standing around oozing malice rather than doing anything, he is ridiculously dangerous, and All Might's probably right that he would have killed him if the cavalry hadn't arrived then.

Topic of such, we've got confirmation that his quirk is disintegrating whatever he touches. That's a pretty nasty power, but also 100% offensive; it doesn't have weird utility like Bakugou's explosions or anything, it just murders what he grabs. In and of itself it's kind of lackluster in a way, since he needs to be able to get to a target and grab them long enough to destroy them in order to actually be effective. A sure-kill on someone you touch isn't worth much when so many people have ways of avoiding your touch or simply killing you first.

Of course, backed up by someone like Black Mist... That's a different story. Grab the back of someone's head from across the room and destroy their brainstem before they even notice what's going on and such. Kind of interesting, really, that the heroes' symbol is a one-man army (albeit one who is rapidly weakening), while the villains' one is extremely dependent on allies and tactics. All Might can crush almost anything in his way on his own, while Shigaraki needs the support of his soldiers and clever plans.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 24, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexides posted:

What I want to know is, how did the first holder of All for One figure out that it's transferable?

He did not. The second holder did, and was also a cannibal. It is not a pleasant story.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, just noticed that the weird kid from the non-hero class, the one with the dead eyes and wavy hair, seems to have some sort of mind control quirk or something. After Todoroki goes and freezes everything over, his method of getting away from it is sitting atop a bunch of other students who are holding him up and having some very odd, somewhat empty expressions on their faces. Nasty if that is what I think it is. I think we've got one of our big student antagonists right there.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 27, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Speaking of costumes, I wonder if Invisigirl has one, and whether she even bothered writing to the costume manufacturing company to request a costume.

She seemed to have a set of gloves on in the one trial, taking them off when she was working with that guy against Todoroki and the chimera octopus dude.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

What do you guys think is the backstory between Berkeley's Puzzle and his dad? Did Dad burn Son during a childhood "accident" like Fire Lord Ozai and Prince Zuko, or Son burn himself during training due to being pushed too hard by Dad?

It might just be him being pissed off at his father or wanting to prove he's better than him or something; his dad is the No. 2 hero around and a fire-based hero and all. Surpass his father in a way that shows that he's not the same, etc.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of people have said things I already wanted to, but there's one thing I noticed that's sticking out at me: Despite everything we expected (and got right, like Todoroki's no-fire thing being because daddy issues), his horrible burn was actually inflicted by his mother, not his father. Which also kind of shoots some of the sympathy she'd otherwise have since holy poo poo don't do that to a kid no matter what, but still. Wow, Endeavor, you suck.

Edit: Yeah, though, this chapter was good. I think my favorite moment, though, was the reveal of Bakugou standing there listening in on the conversation. You can tell he's sort of shocked, listening and having all his problems put into perspective when compared to what Todoroki's been through. (Or at least that's how it seems to me.). It's pretty great for a moment with no dialog directly attached to it itself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 23, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Aw hell, you guys are right. I remembered Tetsu^4's team being in third place and Midoriya coming in fourth so I thought the last minute grabs by Midoriya and Tokoyami bumped the original fourth out, but upon rereading it was not so. drat my memory, that's a real shame. The fateful showdown between copy-paste quirks will have to wait for another day/tournament arc.

Well, in a way, Kirishima won their little feud by making it further than Tetsu did. Even if it had to do with teams and such, he's in and Tetsu's out.

I'm more curious how this tournament's going to go down. I'm going to assume that's Deku's making it to the finals, though that may not happen. It's a bigger mystery who's he'll face in the final match. Bakugou and Todoroki are both appropriate, but I could see mind-control dude somehow making his way there while those two fall earlier, whether to Deku or someone else (at least one probably to whoever Deku would face in the end). Then again, he could also end up being a person Deku has to take down earlier. I'm not sure if this will go the surprising/subverting shonen stuff route and have one of the non-rivals be the final match, or go peak shonen and have it culminate in a rival semifinals and the other rival for the finals. Or possibly something else. Who knows. It'll be much easier to make predictions when we see who's where on the bracket (though this series could still surprise us).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

I'm rooting for Tokoyami. He's turned out to be reliable and cool without trying to bring lots of attention to himself.

Tokoyami is pretty great. Also his name is the Japanese equivalent of "Darkevil Deathsatan" (I forgot what it actually means but I don't think that's far off the mark reallyOkay I looked it up and Tokoyami means "Eternal Darkness" and Fumikage is "Shadowy Step", so yeah), which is great.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 24, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Hoping they pull a Hunter x Hunter and have Deku lose.

Well, that's not quite how that went in HxH's tournament; Gon got clowned, sure, but he still "won". Or are you talking about the stuff in Heaven's Tower? That isn't quite the same either, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

To be fair, the apparently don't give a poo poo about putting words in the proper order either. Don't/Didn't are important words that change the meaning of a sentence, especially when taking them out clearly contradicts the actions as drawn.

Yeah. I had to reread a line earlier, when Ojiro, by their translation, told Deku to respond to Shinsou's provocations. It seemed really odd, and I thought I read it wrong, but no, that's what it was. And then later, Deku does exactly that, gets mind-controlled or whatever, and Ojiro's lamenting having warned Deku about this. Because he warned Deku not to do so, and the translators messed that up Also they called bondage heroine a "he", so I'm pretty sure they aren't proofreading their work either.

This new group is bad, is what I am saying. They aren't unreadable but in a way that's worse because they write basically proper English and then gently caress up little things that completely change what the meaning of the characters are saying. It's not bad enough to make you not read it, just to make the chapter a confusing mess.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Piriwi posted:

Mind powers wouldn't work well against robots and don't give any physical powers either.

Also, in an earlier chapter he talked about getting used to his power. The most likely explanation for that is that he simply hasn't been using his powers because of their nature. There are probably many people who get powers that are strong or potentially destructive and never use them in normal life.

Now I'm imagining people with terrifying powers that just try to do normal things. A guy who can create nuclear explosions, but is employed as a foreman at a construction firm. A person with time control powers, who works in IT. And so on.

...Now I'm wondering how many villains in this world are people who tried to have normal lives, had something go wrong, and decided gently caress it, time to put their power to level entire city blocks to use.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peel posted:

I have no time for deus ex machina but I had no problem with this chapter. It wasn't a bullshit twist to get the writer out of a corner, but the introduction of a plot element in a low-stakes situation so it can be redeployed and developed later without being a deus ex machina. This was the first round of the competion, against someone Deku has barely interacted with. Of course he wasn't going to lose.

I'm also liking Shinsou. I expect he's not really a bad guy, just resentful of (through no fault of his own) having a quirk that a lot of people will automatically hate and mistrust. And his being a huge tool all fight is tactically vital for him since getting a rise out of his opponent is the only way he can win.

Yeah, while they gave us a cliffhanger last chapter this whole thing was basically entirely to introduce this aspect of One For All, plus to develop the world and minor characters a bit and stuff (pointing out that Yueii has problems with things like the entrance exam and sure as heck isn't the perfect place Deku imagined it to be, giving Shinsou some depth, and so on). It'd have been much worse to introduce this sort of thing in the middle of a fight with a real villain or something.

Also yeah, Shinsou's a lot more interesting than I thought he'd be. He's up there with Bakugou or even maybe Todoroki in terms of general quirk power (robots are a weak point but against most villains he'd probably just end things without anyone getting hurt even), but due to the nature of it he not only couldn't get into the "good" class (which is clearly favored and doted upon, even if teachers like Aizawa can also be crazy in how they teach them) but probably has to deal with all sorts of crap. And yet he didn't go full rear end in a top hat like Bakugou either; we haven't seen much of him admittedly but I don't think he's been abusing his power on other people or anything.

Basically, these past few chapters we've been getting a look at all the special ways a world where everyone has super powers would be hosed up. First Todoroki's family issues, and now this.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro Nut posted:

So, nevermind the one eyed idea (seriously? They cleaned that out?), but it does look like that the author actually has some vague idea of designs in his head anyway.

Yeah, the one-eyed one confused me, and additionally I was confused at first because it looked like Black Mist was making another appearance, which seemed way too soon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Dude come on, the chapter isn't even translated yet.

No kidding; I was checking this thread in the hopes of a translation, and instead walked right into some pretty major spoilers there. The hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

By this point I don't care who wins or loses as long as we can avoid a Bleach situation where the protagonist who's only just awakened to his powers trains for half a day and chumps dudes who've been at it their entire lives.

Deku's been training for quite a while, though. He trained for months even before he got One For All, and has likewise been working his rear end off since getting it. Perhaps not his entire life, sure, but he has been working at it.

Also, as he was called out on, Todoroki is not putting his all into this. Using only half his power, spending a lot of time focused on what his father thinks rather than the fight itself, etc. Unless he steps it up he kind of deserves to lose here, really.