Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kinmik posted:

Second one

D: I -- love it!

K: Hmph, what kind of person hugs a doll like that.
K: It's worthless.
O: Bakudou-kun, your hand is awfully honest/betraying you.
K: Shut'cher mouth.
(background: *clickclickclickclickclickcli*

T: Then, I'll do this.
T: Is this okay?

O: [Bakudou-kun, I understand your feelings, but don't take them out on the doll]

If more shipping involved characters aggressively flipping each other off and blowing things up, the world would be a better place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

The faces in this manga are great, and Tsuyu tongue smacking Mineta for being an idiot never gets old.

"Not digging the way you're rubbing that salt in."

Tsuyu is great. Mineta, stop being a jerk, or the frog girl might eat you or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

Does the inherent existence of super powers precipitate a population of heroes and villains, or does it only exacerbate existing conditions? Is it necessary to base an entire industry around superpowered displays? Why does All Might believe it absolutely imperative that there should be a Symbol of Peace?

I expect none of these questions to be answered in the manga.

Well, I happened to reread the first chapter just now, and it mentions there being a rise in dangerous crime after quirks started appearing. Meanwhile, All Might already elaborated on how his heroics and the sheer impact his powers have had have lowered crime immensely, and that he, at least, believes that his death would likewise result in a return to the old, dangerous levels of superpowered crime. So that's two of your three questions answered already.

As for the other one, no, it's not necessary, but it's a pretty great idea if you want to make money in a world like this. Capitalism and all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

It's still a mystery whether the One for All vessel train started with or before the advent of quirks, but it still looked like All Might was the first after about seven other vessels to use One for All for heroism. Or maybe the other vessels did use OfA for heroism, just not to the grand extent that AM has. I almost want to tweet Horikoshi, asking how much time spanned between the rise of quirk-induced crime and All Might's debut.

Deku's mother is "fourth-generation", according to the first chapter, making Deku part of the fifth generation of those with quirks. So, a fair amount of time, it seems.

Whoops, misread your post somewhat. I'll take a look again, but I don't think that's specified exactly.

Edit: The most I've found so far is that crime rose with quirks, without any specific statements beyond that. It seems it was rather high, though, hence the need for a vigilante response. And, judging by how big All Might's impact was, even with heroes fighting it was pretty bad before he showed up. Given that he's the eighth vessel apparently, and presumably fourth-generation (being an adult now), I'd say a lot of time, myself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 25, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still rereading the series; I happened to notice something odd while doing so. Aizawa mentions that the population has shrunk; it's phrased a bit awkwardly and might mean something else, but, given our earlier speculation on things that might be a very important detail. Is there anyone who has seen the raws and can elaborate on what's actually being said? The phrasing in this translation makes it hard to tell if he's talking about the population of the world shrinking, or saying that not as many people participate in the Olympics anymore (in which case "population" is not the ideal word to use there).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shukaro posted:

That's just saying the olympics aren't as popular anymore.

If so, then as I said, "population" was really the wrong word to use; it carries certain connotations and really just isn't appropriate to use there. These guys are putting out the best fansubs of this series but they're still pretty awkward at times. (And them drawing in that one girl without a head was just weird. I'm still amazed by that.)

Unrelated, man. I forgot Shinsou's introduction, or that Todoroki just up and told Deku that he's going to beat him (and also pulled that "I'm not here to make friends" thing). People were aggressive during the start of this arc.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It comes up in numerous places that quirks are heavily regulated, yeah. Uraraka's backstory is one no one mentioned yet, for example; it's mentioned that her quirk would probably be really useful for helping her family's construction business, if she could get permission to use it freely.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terper posted:

So, Quirks show up around age 4, but what about mutant-shapes like Tsuyu? Do they just gradually transform, or is it more "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but it seems you have given birth to a frog"?

Hm. Well, the coming of quirks was heralded by the birth of a glowing baby, so, perhaps age four is just the usual/latest they show up. I think something to that effect was stated, that they are expected to manifest by four years old.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, Endeavor's being a big baby here. Ice was pretty clearly the way to go; Iida would have burst through any flames and continued on his way. Subtly destroying his strategy was by far the better option. (And it was a pretty good strategy; I didn't think Iida would win but still, that was great. More or less the right way to go in that particular matchup.)

Topic of Iida, the guy who seems to have killed his older brother Ingenium is pretty nasty-looking. I wonder what his deal is, beyond having some reason to be obsessed with All Might. He's not someone we've seen before.

Also, Recovery Girl saying "yeah I'm not dealing with this anymore, stop trying to kill yourself" is a good way to force a break from the cycle of Deku, well, nearly killing himself every single encounter. Curious as to where he's going to go from here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, someone who's read the raws, can you tell us the Fallen Angels group compares to PowerManga's translations? The former certainly read more naturally, like they go through more effort to localize it, and generally "sound" better, but there are a few areas where the latter differs and seems more... Right? Like, in the latest translated chapter, the former has Iida saying his brother called him but was working, while the latter says he called his brother but his brother couldn't talk/answer because he's working; given what we see later in the chapter (Ingenium's phone had an incoming/missed call from Iida, I believe) and the general descriptions there I think PowerManga's version is the accurate one.

This isn't the only place things like that happen, either. While Fallen Angels seem like much better localizers and I prefer reading their translations, it seems like they make weird mistakes and mistranslations like that fairly frequently; sometimes it's minor stuff I won't notice until a second or third read of the chapter or when I check out the other translation out of curiosity, but there are also times I'll stare at the page on the first read through and go "...That doesn't seem right". Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allarion posted:

The official translation is his brother called him, but he was working, so Fallen Angels got it right. Iida probably called his brother again after losing the match.

Ah, interesting. That's not the only place I was wondering if Fallen Angels was right, but thanks for the info there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bakugou vs Tokoyami fight went about how I expected. That was a hard matchup for Tokoyami, jeez.

Also apparently Shigaraki's recruiting tough villains, rather than the mooks he got before. Stain seems like exactly the sort of guy that his weird philosophy will attract, too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hopeford posted:

I think he genuinely is becoming less of an rear end in a top hat, he's just still acting like one. Like on page 18 he's saying he doesn't give a poo poo about Deku's thing about giving speeches to his rivals, but the page also shows him flashing back to a time where he most definitely gave a poo poo. Like I don't know, I could just be reading waaaay too deep here but I think there's probably a point in showing him remembering that scene while saying that.

That definitely hit Bakugou close to home, which is why he's being so aggressive there. Deku is still a sore spot to him, even if he's improving in other areas.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeesh, I know I said that Fallen Angels is usually the more readable of the two, but their version of the latest chapter reads extremely awkwardly the whole way through. I wonder what happened.

Caros posted:

Do you really think Mineta or what he are doing are portrayed in a positive light in any way? He's a gag character with over emphasised traits the same as Bakugou is a character with his anger cranked to 11.

As the person you're responding to is saying, it's played as a joke. Also, well, the author really likes him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man. Todoroki's fire side flaring up, ready to meet Bakugou, then the flashback to his mother and it going out, consequently resulting in him being annihilated... That's pretty rough, jeez.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this aside, Deku is not scrawny. Not in the slightest. Small, maybe, but he's pretty built. Which makes sense, since his training for things (as we've seen in the montages and stuff) is always things like weightlifting.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 26, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

He's built, yeah, but lean. His clothes do a good job hiding his physique, which goes back to what I was saying about him looking one way at a glance but surprising people when given the opportunity.

Scrawny may have been the wrong word, but you probably understood what I meant when I used it.

Actually I didn't, hence the link; I've seen a lot of people forget that, even without One For All, Deku's actually pretty dang fit and strong. Not, like, bodybuilder-level or anything, but not just a skinny nerd either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tlarn posted:

Bakugou's still gnawing on the medal's strap in the classroom, I love it

He probably never stopped gnawing on it. If you find the medal the strap will be torn; he chewed right through it, swallowed what was in his mouth, and has continued gritting his teeth since.

Also man, Ingenium apologizing to IidaTenya (I guess they're both Iida technically) for nearly dying. Wow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

I gotta wonder if there's some mad scientist in the MHA universe who's trying to induce quirks artificially, like an imitation of One for All. What if Dekumom (was lying/didn't know), and either she or Dekudad was actually quirkless before taking a serum or eating a radioactive salamander? Quirks are hereditary, the same might go for quirklessness.

Well, Noumu is an "artificial human" and had power... Not exactly comparable to All Might, but pretty far beyond most people. I don't know if Shigaraki or Black Mist are artificial as well, but they both have weird stuff about them (Black Mist's armor and Shigaraki's hands) that at the least looks scientific in origin, and Shigaraki's referred to his "Father"/"Sensei"/etc. a few times. So, well, there's something along those lines going on.

I doubt Deku's parents have anything to do with that, though. That'd be kind of weird.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I just took another look at the nominations; why did Kaminari receive so many? He kind of got dominated, and his power is such a liability to his allies that his team needed Yaoyorozu's power just to protect them from it. Unless it's a lot of fellow electric heroes or people who themselves are immune to it, that's really strange. And Ashido didn't get any either despite winning her first match; Sero got 14 for getting frozen by Todoroki even. Aoyama not getting much attention makes sense though.

Kind of curious how the other classes are handling this. I hope Shinsou got a lot of attention.

Edit: Actually, I just realized, the people submitting the nominations probably only get, like, a single one or something; rather than just writing to everyone who participated because hey, they're all great, they have to pick who caught their eye the most. Hence some students who put up a decent show getting ignored; while, say, a lot of people were impressed with Uraraka, only twenty are applying for her over, say, Todoroki or Bakugou, who utterly stole the show. Meanwhile, while Deku put up a strong show, the end of his match (people didn't understand why he was calling Todoroki out and thought it was a challenge or something that backfired), the self-destructive nature of his powers, and the sheer attention Todoroki and Bakugou got left no one favoring him over the other options. It still doesn't explain Kaminari though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 6, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Annointed posted:

Bombadevil. See it can be heroic explode demons or villounous cause it has devil in it.

"Bomb-Bad-Evil" is what I got out of that. Perhaps accurate but not a good hero name.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soylentbits posted:

Isn't he made out of black hole?

He is not; you can see his back after he accidentally hits himself with a black hole when fighting Black Mist. He's human under there, at least partially.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

I must admit, I'm not a fan of that theme in hero stories, though dark and gritty are not the words that would spring to mind when thinking of them to me personally. It honestly just seems silly and pointless to me. In a setting that has the technology, magic or whatever the heroes or villains are using to fight crime and each other someone is going to be taking advantage of it at some point, not just those specific characters, who merely happen to be using it. Getting in to a chicken and egg debate about which came first is stupid because they exist regardless and would continue to exist even if the hero hung up his cape. It'd be like insisting cops should all stop fighting crime because they just encourage criminal behavior. Unless you've got proof of your assertion and a better suggestion, then saying it is simply pissing in the wind to make your cause sound good and has all the depth of a puddle.

Well, when the NYPD decided to stop working things actually went better, until they realized that they realized they were making themselves look bad and got back on the job.

Joking aside, while I expect some moral ambiguity or something here I don't think it's going to be "there are villains because there are heroes" or something like that, no. Heck, the first chapter established the opposite; people started being heroes in response to people using their own powers for crime. Now there does seem to be something of a hero surplus, admittedly, but exploring that is a slightly different topic, which might be pretty interesting really. We've already seen that it's a career and form of celebrity as much as anything for a lot of people.

Twiddy posted:

So it seems like the core theme of this comic is gonna be education and development. Kind of funny how appropriate that is in a school setting yet I feel like it's not explored as often as it should be, because I guess most shows don't want to make teachers real characters.

I feel like I'm gonna like the primary villain, whoever he is. So far he kind of makes me think of Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2. This particular scene reminds me of some moments where you're allowed to do some good old fashioned bioware villainy, and Kreia chews you out for it being nonsensical and purposeless. By comparison, though, Kreia loved to lecture while our main villain seems to be taking a bit more of a hands-off approach.

This reminds me, I was thinking that there's more to them calling Shigaraki a manchild after the attack on the USJ. Then, it just seemed like they were noting that he's kind of a huge brat and doesn't have a real understanding of things, plus a note on him having a lot of potential like the students. Now, though, we get his father or teacher or whatever actually, well, teaching him, exposing him to other villains to try to foster growth in him and stuff, talking about important moments in his development. We also have the weird video game comparisons by him, and the shots of him hanging out his bedroom watching the sports festival, and... He seems like an actual, literal child in pretty much everything other than body. I'm really wondering what his deal is; was he kept locked up in some lab since he was little or something, or is he another science project and was made at the age he is now, or what?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki is an interesting villain because, overall, he's far from the most impressive character in the series, or even among the villains. His quirk, disintegration, can be powerful, but being able to destroy things you physically touch is rather low-key compared to most of the powers we've seen in this. Any amount of range, or outspeeding him, or simply being able to tank the part of your body being disintegrated and wail on him anyway, will beat him; a lot of the higher-powered heroes and villains are basically playing rocket tag with their abilities, making the range of his ability and how long it takes to work significant weaknesses. He doesn't seem particularly physically impressive either, at least to an extent that can shore up these issues.

Meanwhile, character-wise, he is... Unusual, to put it mildly. He's strange, unstable, and shallow, and while his philosophy appeals to certain people he's not an exceptional leader nor a particularly effective speaker or persuader. He is, in fact, generally an extremely uncharismatic person, even if he got a bit grandiose when talking to All Might in the USJ. Looking even deeper than that, he's outright childish, viewing the world in extremely simple terms and describing things as if they were a video game.

His interactions with Stain illustrate this well; he immediately alienates someone who should be a potential ally, fails to correct this or even realize that he's going about things the wrong way, and then gets his rear end kicked by him. While he eventually brings Stain over, it's a rather difficult process that, among other things, got him stabbed, and their alliance seems tenuous at best. He's having a harder time of things than some of the heroes are, and yet he seems to be the apparent main villain of the series (though it's more likely that the person/people behind him are the true overall villains).

He's just such an usual fit here, bucking so many normal villain tropes and being in an extremely odd position for such a figure. I really want to know more about him, and see how he's supposed to be the anti-All Might, the villain's equivalent to him as a symbol, that his father/teacher declared him to be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"We don't have a healer in our party!" Oh Shigaraki, you freak.

Also, wow, Iida, you figured out where the hero-killer is going to be, so you... Go off alone, not informing anyone of what you know or what you're doing, to face the guy who has been taking out multiple heroes on his own. Wow. You're supposed to be smart, Iida. This is a terrible idea.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

Seems like there might be done parallels between Shiragaki and All Might, and Bakugou and Deku. I wonder if Shiragaki knows that All Might was born with a quirk?

Cause if it's just about heroes sometimes being jerks then Endeavour would make a better target.

All Might is the "Symbol of Peace", he's symbolic of everything about the age of heroes, and is a nigh-unstoppable force crushing anything that opposes him. The specifics of his history or even what he himself is actually like don't matter, it's what he represents that fills Shigaraki (and also Stain) with loathing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

I just need a complaint about all of the best and strongest characters in Worm being female and I can fill out by "stupid complaints about Worm" bingo card guys

NecroMonster posted:

well it is an unedited first draft lol

I think these two quotes speak for themselves, albeit not in the way they're intended to.

Also man I keep checking this thread because it's getting a fair amount of posts but almost none of it is actually talking about MHA, which is disappointing. That almost no one seems to like the thing that's being talked about instead doesn't help, though it is kind of amusing in a way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyte posted:

We're in that limbo just previous to a new chapter, so there's not much to talk about until the chapter actually comes out.

Yeah, I'm aware, it just sucks because I keep thinking "oh hey maybe something cool's been announced/the scanlators did a fast job/etc." whenever I notice there's a fair amount of new posts here. I also found it kind of amusing that the dominating subject (Worm) is one that most of the posters are expressing disappointment with and don't seem to really like, despite the long posts on it, though that's also a little disappointing in that these limbo periods occasionally bring new things to check out to my attention, whereas here people seem to generally be giving reasons to avoid the subject of discussion.

At least the chapter will, assuming there aren't delays or something (the groups seem pretty good about getting things out weekly), be translated tomorrow/later today.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

Oh oh oh Stain's quirk is definitely licking/consuming someones blood to paralyze them.

And of course his quirk was "too villainous" so he wasn't really allowed to become a "Hero" through the proper, sanctioned, channels.

The question then is how he managed to paralyze Black Mist like he did the previous chapter; given what we know of Black Mist and the apparent situation there, that theory really doesn't seem to fit the fight in the villain bar. Though it definitely does seem like exactly what's happened in this chapter. Strange.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

Black mist had a cut on his shoulder/arm. We just weren't shown the actual "licking" at that point.

Huh, so he did; I didn't notice that before. I just remembered him leaning on the counter and took it as him being paralyzed in the middle of that bartender routine of his. Good catch; I should have gone back and looked personally rather than just going off what I remembered.

Edit: Looking back at that chapter, Stain expresses the same curiosity/fear of what Shigaraki may eventually become that the Yueii chairman and All Might did. There's a lot of people seeing potential in him.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 16, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

Am I the only one who deeply wants there to be a complementary quirk called All For One?

Probably the name of the quirk used to make the Noumus, given that it seems to work by transferring other people's quirks to the subject (remember, the captured Noumu had DNA from at least four other people or something).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
FA's scanlations are just getting worse and worse, huh? The issue with the One For All "ghosts", then stuff like this, plus the drop in translation quality; it's a shame that Power Manga stopped their translations.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 27, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Now Tsuyu will win twice as much.

Please, I just think it'd be hilarious if the main character didn't win the popularity poll for once.

Main characters frequently don't win these things. I think for HxH's polls Killua and Kurapika were ahead of Gon, as an example off the top of my head. The "cool" characters frequently triumph over the leads, from what I've seen.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Typically it's whomever the token bishounen is, the MC, then flip between the female lead, the rival, or a particularly popular villain if there is one.

Unless it's like Eyeshield 21, where I think Hiruma won every single time because he is the best character.

Actually, this has me curious who's going to win here. Todoroki is the closest to the "cool guy"/bishounen but isn't as "main" a character as Iida, Uraraka, or Bakugou, All Might is cool but I doubt he has broad appeal among hte primary demographics of this, and as much as I like him I don't think Shigaraki's going to garner many votes either. Midoriya may take first, though I'm not thinking he will either. Really, I can think of a lot of reasons a given person won't be first, but can't really decide who I think will be there.

Tsuyu would definitely be a good one, though. She's one of the ones I'd definitely support getting it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vengarr posted:

I still think the Hero Killer is going to Kill a Hero.

God, don't let it be Todoroki.

He's definitely not in a pretty-looking position at the end of this chapter. Stain is flipping out and coming right for him with those knives. Also, from a meta standpoint, we just got a big moving moment this chapter where Todoroki is revealed to have moved past his issues and is reconnecting with his mother; I'm not sure if this comic will actually pull killing one of the kids but if it will then he's thrown up some death flags this chapter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Piriwi posted:

Their teacher (Eraserhead) is very similar to Stain. Both good fighters with a quirk that disables their opponent. Stains quirk has a more powerful effect (total paralysis vs. cancel quirk), and although it is harder to apply, it can be used against multiple heroes at once. If I remember correctly Deku said that Eraserhead is actually quite powerful specifically against groups.

Well, sort of; Eraserhead was skilled at fighting groups, but as the fight went on he was getting worn down, and Shigaraki correctly observed that it was far from his preferred method of fighting; he's actually a hit-and-run specialist as well. He was just taking on the massive group for the sake of the kids.

Which still draws parallels to Stain, really, in that this also isn't his ideal situation and, if it weren't for his (insane) convictions, Stain would probably be getting the hell out of here rather than fighting a losing battle.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Piriwi posted:

It makes me wonder if any quirks we have seen so far would be good especially against groups (single person vs. group). All I can think of is the brainwashing quirk, because it can be hard countered by a single person by not responding, but in a group you would probably always have someone react to it. And he can use against multiple people at once, so the more people that respond to him the more powerful the quirk is.

Todoroki and Kaminari's quirks. Both of them can hit massive areas with extremely dangerous elemental powers, and the latter's debut even demonstrated its great effectiveness while also having his allies have to hide from it because otherwise they would have been fried too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, the villains from this include some of my favorite from manga in general. You should be meeting one of them soon too, I think.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, you weren't kidding on the villains front. Some of those designs are amazing. Dude with a bunch of hands all over him is a great creepy design.

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, what a disappointment. You've got this incredible two-page spread lineup of awesome badass teacher superheroes in intricate garb and then the one woman among them is just in loving S&M gear with a bullwhip. I expected way better, frankly. Not like he's incapable of good female character designs, frog girl, head jack girl, and urarako are great designs. But that is so...expected.

Everything else so far is great, and all might's art style clashing with everything else continues to be a great gag, but that was a real eye-roller.

The frog girl is awesome, too. The triple attack with deku, her, and sticky kid on the boat ruled.

Shigaraki (hand dude) and Tsuyu (frog girl) are both great, yeah. Albeit in very different ways for the most part. Still two of my favorite characters in a series where I like almost every character. Midnight (S&M heroine) doesn't have the best design, though, no. Fortunately she's relatively minor and gets a few pretty good moments besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro Nut posted:

I do kinda hope that the series does try to introduce a more global side to the superhero community, maybe see how different countries run their systems compared to Japan. After all, the setting's main conceit is that 80% of the entire world now has superpowers, so not exploring that world in some better detail would be a major missed opportunity.

That's a pretty good point; other than All-Might being the Dr. Manhattan of this setting we don't really know much about the world at large.

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, caught up now, I assume 55's the latest? Hero killer is a ninja turtle. And of course, badass midget grandpa.

55 is the latest one we have translated, yeah. Which reminds me, I wonder where things are going with Stain now; I highly doubt he's getting away, so... I guess he's getting arrested? Seems a bit odd for him to possibly be gone already, but at the same time this manga's pacing is pretty fast so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising.

Also man, Shigaraki's "teacher" is probably going to be pretty unhappy. Stain got beat up by children and arrested while Shigaraki's artificial humans went and wrecked things? He's going to learn exactly the wrong lesson from this. And at least two of the artificial humans have been defeated/killed, so that's a loss.