Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's cool, he forgot the air conditioner.

e: Also this had one of the fastest turn arounds for me of any manga. It went from chapter 1 "Oh goody, another whiny pissant shonen protagonist" to chapter 2 and "Huh, this has promise".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rand Brittain posted:

If Superman announces that you're the new Superman in front of the entire world, you'll start having to earn it pretty quick.

But Superman would never do that until you've earned it, that's why he's Superman.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Josuke Higashikata.

It costs a million yen a week to keep his hair up.

That poo poo is serious business.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Speaking of Ippo,Deku totally has those "glowing dead eyes" that boxers in Ippo seem to get when they're really serious, half in a trance, and about to kick some major rear end. Those are the eyes of a champ there.

It's called brain damage.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The Hulk has a son, and he makes Bakugou look sociable. So I guess not a terrible comparison.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Petiso posted:

That's right, this is only just a story of a boarding school for gifted children with a quirky (heh) principal and quirky teachers which is so important to the system in place that villains attacking it shakes the foundations of society itself.

There's no Snape, clearly the most important part of those stories.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Arist posted:

That doesn't mean Mirio didn't job. If the ref gets knocked out and the wrestler you're up against brings in outside help to beat you and you lose, you still jobbed.

At the end of that conflict the only thing I could think was "Yeah, Mirio with One For All would pretty much unquestionably have been the better choice". I didn't give a poo poo about the villain, and I didn't think he looked stronger by ganging up on one dude, stealing his power, and still being unable to end that fight quick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

So would Todoroki or Inasa or Bakugou in terms of raw power. The point is that Midoriya is more of a hero than any of them. Midoriya proved he was better than Mirio in that alley even if Mirio regretted his choice later and decided to change.

I mean there's a long stream of One for All users that died to All for One the past, at a certain point it *does* come down to raw power and ability. A Mirio that can move as fast as All Might without having to worry about pesky things like "Wind resistance" or "Having to physically interact with buildings or people in his way" negates most conflict. "How will we deal with this entrenched enemy posit.....oh Mirio basically tele-punched all the dudes in the face instantly, fight over. Thanks Mirio!".

I'd take a slightly less ideologically pure hero who happens to be orders of magnitude stronger. As would, you know, all the dead people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Terper posted:

In other words

That dude is an idiot that in some versions of reality *literally* turned into his own worst enemy. Never listen to him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Deku was here, Mirio is a loser.

I mean Deku acts all hero worship-y to the rear end in a top hat kid that beat the poo poo out of him for years and has no redeeming qualities as a human being, he's like the textbook definition of a loser.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

1) Brave, to an absurd degree

Self-absorbed rear end in a top hat, check.

quote:

2) Highly intelligent

Never used to practically help anyone but himself, check.

quote:

3) Determined in the face of adversity

That's just 1 again, you couldn't go 3 without repeating yourself.

quote:

4) Sets high goals and achieves them (Note how he was one of two students from his crap-rear end school who got into the best hero school in the country. Note how, unlike Deku, he did it without being coached by Japan's number 1 hero.)

Failed to get his license first time out, because he's such an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

5) Wants to be a hero. Although early weirdness had him declare this was primarily for fiscal reasons, later developments confirmed this was because he admires ALL MIGHT, THE SYMBOL OF PEACE.

Self-absorbed rear end in a top hat idolizes most renown human on the planet, wishes to be in the same position, shock.

quote:

6) Genuine competence in his field of expertise.

He's not even the best fire dude in his class.

There's literally no reason for Deku to give a poo poo about this utter prick that abused him and made his life miserable, and it's some real.....and I hate to say this, but here we are.....it's some real Sasuke poo poo. This dude isn't your friend, he's not even a good person, and he's totally not worth your effort. Everything about Deku and Bakugou just makes Deku look weak and pathetic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Redtext speaks for itself.

I know the truth hurts you but you have to find a way to live with it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Oh it's great having the total rear end in a top hat character actually face consequences for being a total rear end in a top hat. Much like it's kind of great watching most of Endeavor's kids go "Go gently caress yourself" when he tries to play better dad.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

All the characters you like are pigs.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Knuckleduster isn't a cop, he's arguably worse. He just walks up to random people, yells "Are you on drugs?!" and then punches the poo poo out of them

Are you sure he isn't a cop?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

lol about the bakugou's suicide advice, surprised thats canon

He was an absolutely irredeemable piece of poo poo for a really long time, it's just that the author didn't really intend for it so now it's sort of ignored. There basically is an invisible disclaimer like 20 chapters in or whatever that is "Hey yeah, just sort of pretend that everything he did before this point didn't happen and he was just a gruff rear end in a top hat type".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I like that the protagonist literally got a better version of what he's being attacked with for absolutely no reason, and is now perfectly capable of using it instantly.

Or not, what's the other thing? I hate it. Shinsou deserved to either beat him here or got dropped clean, not have "Yeah, you know that rope binding thing you trained for months to use? I can do that now too! Also I have infinite magic ropes I can generate at will." dropped on him. Even if he wins it's a big "What the gently caress?".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The best part of all that is is that Barry Allen is such a moron none of that will ever matter and all he'll ever do with his power is make life worse for everyone around him.

Conversely Franklin Richards power is functional omnipotence, and he's recreated the entire multiverse before. Flash is a basic bitch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
At the time it was written yeah, but I'm pretty sure they've given him most of that stuff as part of the general erasing of Wally West over the years. Which would be Wally's version of Barry's stupidity. Wally isn't Barry, so he'll eventually be kicked out of relevance so that bland ol' Barry can come back to the forefront.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

See, you're even acknowledging that they've been terrible for a long time.

Yeah, but "a long time" ended awhile ago. They aren't perfect, but they've addressed practically every single flaw they had as a company. DC and Marvel have never done that. Still applies because when they were bad they did fall down the hole pretty hard, and that "otiose in a niche" statement is one of the most tone deaf and downright stupid things that has ever been publicly uttered by a human being.

Just ever. Like holy poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Reallycoolname posted:

God, Vilgilantes Big Bad is such a loving millennial. Praying he gets the Assasination Classroom treatment.

Hi! The oldest millennials are nearly in their 40s now, namaste.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
And the villains are petty broken shits who made their pain an excuse to hurt other people, when plenty of folks had horrific lives and didn't become sociopaths. Takes all kinds to make a paint by numbers shounen fight story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Its the classic joker "everyone is just one bad day away..." reason that resonates so well when done right.

The thing about the first time he said that is it occurs in a story where he horrifically brutalizes Jim Gordon as hard as it's possible and.....Jim doesn't break. He actually does that a few times over the years, with the same results. The point of that statement is it's the justification of a sad loser for how broken and petty they are. It's not actually true.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Like look at this trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w1vMWsB3wc

This is a trick they have performed a variation of, that they know in intimate detail, being performed in front of them with incredibly moderate changes. And look at the sheer childlike glee on their faces. Because God drat is that a showman, putting on a hell of a show. Even if someone walked up to you and told you exactly how a trick is performed, it doesn't mean it won't impact you to see it done.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

All Might could cash the checks his mouth wrote but in the end his image was fake. He could be the best hero ever due to sheer psychotic focus/dedication+overwhelming power but he still had anxieties/fears/flaws- his whole shtick is an act where he can never show any fear or falter ever. And it ground him down to a nub and nearly cost him his life, and when he couldn't keep it up anymore this symbol he created basically died too and put society in a more precarious position than it would've if he had merely been a "great" hero instead of the "best" one that a whole system could be built around.

Basically, he was too self-sacrificing and unwilling to share his burdens with other people- even if he did respect them.

Counter-point: All the current heroes loving suck.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

It would be the most sith move, which with Hori means it's on the table

The most Sith move would actually be using Shigaraki to cause chaos and then get him murdered before quietly stepping back into control while everyone is distracted.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The real pro move would be having Deku kill Shigaraki and become the new All for One. Just to completely loving rub All Might's face in it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Deku and Dr. Tenma probably would understand each other pretty well.

That's......accurate.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
People do remember that the deal with Sasuke wasn't that he was brooding and dark, it was that he was a sociopathic murderer that literally never did a good thing for another human being in his whole life....right?

Dressing like Batman and not wanting your friends to get hurt is the least Sasuke thing ever, he was a man who was sacrificing his followers right up til the the final arc of the story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He kills Danzo and a fuckton of samurai, and he puts a bunch of other people in positions where they will probably get killed. The only reason they don't is that plot happened. He's a complete monster for like 60% of the story, kind of an rear end in a top hat for like another 30%, and there's about 10% where we see vaguely functional Sasuke. Most of that happens in like the first 1/10th of the manga.

e: It's not even like this is controversial, the longest running joke against the story is Naruto and Sakura spending years of their lives pining over a guy that was maybe sort of not an rear end in a top hat to them over a period of time that covers like 3 days.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 13, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Aurora posted:

danzo, noted good guy that ordered the uchihas dead

Oh he totally had it coming, but that doesn't change that Sasuke isn't just the slightly brooding rival figure. He literally had magical insanity, in addition to his profoundly lovely upbringing. It takes a bit more than being dressed like Spider-Goth and being a loner to get into Sasuke camp.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Sasuke literally took like three hundred needles to the back for Naruto and almost died what's this "sociopath who never did anything good" poo poo coming from

Yes that would be the roughly 3 seconds of the story where he was actually tolerable. A reminder that Naruto ran for 15 years. That poo poo you are talking about was year 1. Literally, I think that chapter came out around September a year from when it launched. And as best I can remember that's about the peak of Sasuke being there for other people. That's the bit people remember fondly anyway, the early parts. Hell the entire first part of Naruto is only a third of the manga. 5 years or so. There was another 10 after that. And the dude was basically just a straight up antagonist from part II on, trying to kill everyone on a constant basis. Again, right up to the absolute last arc. There was never a Sasuke redemption arc. Hell they don't even pretend he had one in Boruto, it's just "Yeah he totally ghosted his family basically instantly after his kid was born." and the vague mention that he may be out there killing people for Naruto.

And yes, the majority of the cast were war criminals training children to commit war crimes for, as best I can tell, absolutely no reason. Most of them earned a Chidori to the head. Sadly few of them got one.

Amusingly this story does have a Sasuke in it. It's Shigaraki. He's basically just Sasuke if he got snake holed by the old man instead of winning.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
She could have said her eyes shoot beams that instantly destroy all flesh they touch or any number of crazy things and there's gently caress all AfO could do about it, because her power lets her do instantly the type of bullshit he has to steal powers to accomplish.

But that'd end the manga, so she's going to be stupid and it's also not going to work on him for arbitrary reasons.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I guess I can understand how people didn't see it coming.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Destroy capitalism, Skycrawler!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

all rpg characters rightly fear the Cutscene Gun

One of my favorite bits in FFXIV is when the strongest person we've seen to date, an immortal demi-god that has engineered the rise and fall of civilizations, interrupts a touching cutscene to just straight up loving pop someone with their ornate gun. That they have never used before this point, because they are an immortal demigod and why would you need a gun?

Because gently caress you, I can. It's a messy bitch move, but entirely in character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I feel like at this point I can only look back and see something like this in my mind:

"This is the story of how I become the greatest hero."

*story proceeds*

Actually he seems like kind of a lovely hero. All Might was way better.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
"Maybe pinning all our hopes on one single figure to solve all our problems is a bad thing, and we should all take responsibility and stand up as a group."

*society collapses*

"Actually maybe we are all poo poo and things were better when All Might was around.".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's also profoundly doomed, because nobody is going to let that poo poo stand and it's also a fundamentally bad idea. But hey, at least it's a slightly better quality of stories than it has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah Ichigo is incredibly warmhearted and compassionate.....when he had a character. Until the story went in 8 million different directions it was literally a plot point that his overwhelming power was giving his friends supernatural abilities.