Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One detail I really liked was All Might reassuring Deku that he didn't pull any strings to get him in. It's a small but important moment that an inferior writer could easily have skipped, and it gives me confidence in the quality of the story.

Also, holy poo poo that first chapter's translation was horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Deku and Ochako's powers interact, and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of that given how obviously they're being set up as our main couple. Maybe Ochako's null-grav can ease the physical strain from All For One? They're both highly unintuitive powers that are an absolute bitch to use in a proper fight, so that offers plenty of opportunity for the author to get creative.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

We've seen gravity manipulators in Darker than Black, they're pretty terrifying in a fight when you're not expecting it.

True, but I'm pretty sure any hero who tried to fight like a Contractor would get booted out before they could get through their first villainous 'mwahaha'. This is a very different sort of story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
But like I said, you guys seem to be jumping to the 'murder everything' option. This is an idealistic superhero show where the lead character is currently trying to avoid using his power because it doesn't yet have a non-lethal setting. That seems to imply that the usual methods for making a character like Ochako powerful won't really fit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kortel posted:

Wish he would have just said outright; my quirk will kill me if I use it too often.

I don't think that's really what you want to say when Bakugou's in the room.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Pretty sure it's just the character design.

Yep. Nerds like Toad from the X-Men, and nerds like moe schoolgirls. Moe schoolgirl Toad is basically nerd catnip.

Just be glad there isn't a moe schoolgirl Batman or Wolverine in this comic, or we'd never hear the end of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So we've got a guy who can give himself super-speed by turning his leg muscles into rocket engines that run on orange juice. I think we can officially stop looking for rational superpower explanations now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing - I can't help but notice that the tall girl with the spiky hair who did the breakdown of the mock battle is now Iida's VP. Given that they seem to be birds of a feather, I'd place good odds on them getting paired off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I would assume that all of the robots worth points were human-killable. Otherwise, it'd be pretty unfair to heroes with defensive or support powers. With that in mind, being invisible would be pretty useful.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm kind of wondering if this isn't going to end up with Deku asking Eraserhead to teach him martial arts, to supplement his powers for as long as he needs it. While it wouldn't be as great as on someone who can erase quirks, it'd make him a credible threat to some villains without having to worry about breaking a finger or arm every time he has to fight.

I'm pretty sure Deku is already a capable martial artist. It's why he survived more than two seconds against Bakugou, and was implied to be part of his training regime with All Might to get him ready for All for One.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, he's basically got a very large supply of glue grenades. That's actually pretty useful for superhero work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

Grapes hasn't realized it yet but his power is pretty much those sticky balls that Syndrome used to capture Mr. Incredible. Those things are pretty awesome.

He'd likely be pretty seriously dangerous in close quarters, give or take a bit of martial-arts training. If he tags someone in the face with a ball, they're blinded and probably about to lose the use of one of their arms as well (because who wouldn't try to get sticky purple goop out of their eyes when there's a superhero beating on them?).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Why was Grapeboy so fascinated by the thought of Tsuyu secreting her poison? There's nothing remotely sexy about that.

The guy's fascinated by round things and sticky things. After the reveal of his powerset this chapter, I'm not 100% sure we can call it plain ol' perversion. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I assumed bulletproofing came as standard for the kids' custom costumes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I'm still not sure what the full scope of Hand Guy's powers are. At first glance it appears to be the ability to crush whatever he gets his hands on but what's the meaning of the other hands in that case.

Extra opportunities for crushing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Yeah, we haven't seen much of her these last few chapters.

Ouch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

It can, and sometimes does - Fist of the North Star pretty much makes being supernaturally proficient at kung fu a prerequisite to leading any serious faction of humanity - but in most "modern" settings the implication is generally that there are at least enough goody two-shoes among power-havers to maintain the status quo (as opposed to supervillains who might be more inclined to say, "Yeah, why don't we run everything?").

Could be a lot of things, though. Just because you have mind control doesn't mean you're good at administration, or even want to. Maybe the guy who stops time is satisfied being a marine biologist in his off-hours.

That'd be a pretty rad power for marine biology. You could take some awesome photos, and make fish stand still to be examined without them suffocating (many species have gill designs that require constant water motion for them to breathe, which can make medical work and tagging tricky).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Hey man, you can't beat creativity. Unless that's also a superpower.

Also, the more I see All Might's true form, the more I think I'd have liked to read a comic about him in the 90's. He's a cool looking dude.

Also, his angry-face is loving terrifying. That's some genuine divine wrath right there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now they've raised the possibility of redeeming Shigaraki, it'd be nice to see them go through with it. Having all the villains be irredeemable monsters who must be destroyed is a bit jarring for such a happy, idealistic story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Deku had better be drat careful with Uraraka in a few years' time, that's all I'm saying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

I wonder if Hailfire Peaks or Bakugou is gonna be the first one to warm up to Deku and be the Piccolo to his Goku?

The Flaming Snowman is just a bit surly and standoffish. It doesn't seem like he particularly dislikes Deku, or that his attitude is a genuine problem (he's actually very conscientious and responsible with his power, even if he's a bit of a jerk about it), so there's not much dramatic tension to be wrung out of it. In other words, either he'll pal up to our hero fast, or he'll just stay the way he is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder how a student with a pure-support power (e.g. Recovery Girl's power) would even get past the giant robots.

Presumably, in a similar way to Deku.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

She was wrecking robots left and right in the entrance exam wasn't she? I think she just makes them float in the air and then drops them. Even a 5 foot drop would be devastating to a robot that big.

You're thinking of Uraraka (our gravity-manipulating female lead). Recovery Girl is the academy's elderly medic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Real horrorshow, my droogs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, we haven't seen just how much he can intensify that fire power of his. Even the toughest villains rarely appreciate having a hole melted through them, and his control over temperature seems advanced enough that he can probably freeze someone in place and burn them at the same time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

I think that the important thing is that he doesn't want to leave behind a trail of corpses and maimed villains. It's hard to get popular if you leave behind either charred and badly burnt bodies or shattered and frostbit corpses.

And if you're not popular than what will happen to your branded merch?

The general rule is that that stops applying when you fight a brick, though, because you probably won't kill or even permanently wound them no matter how hard you hit them. He's conscientious about his powers, but we haven't seen much of an upper limit to what he can do if his target's health and safety isn't a concern.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Advanced temperature control means that he's got some great non-lethal options for dealing with regular people and glass-cannon supers, though. He just has to trap them in ice and then raise the heat until they're too exhausted to fight. I mean, it has its health risks, but it's a relatively safe way to do things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zweihander01 posted:

Really enjoying the mangaka's commitment to visual gags with the invisible girl.

Full-frontal nudity in a Shonen Jump manga? Oy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I feel bad for Iida; this competition was almost tailor-made for him. If his power isn't good enough to avoid the robots at the beginning of the race, it doesn't seem to be that useful in general. I also don't see why he couldn't use his leg engines to make big jumps to deal with stuff like the tight rope section.

edit: Deku should start the next match off by sacrificing one of his fingers to make a giant explosion and intimidate a bunch of the other competitors as a result.

Iida's power was perfectly optimised for this, but he's just not a very imaginative, creative guy, and imagination and creativity were the real winners in this event. Gee, would you look at that, a character arc to pursue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Here's a thought - if you take a headband, is it yours permanently, or can someone else take it? Because if it's the second, and Deku loses his band early, we could be looking at utter mayhem.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is it even possible for him to win. With the way the points double each rank, his headband is worth twice as much as the next one which is worth twice as much as the 3rd place one, and so on. So he has to get every single other headband to match whoever gets his.

Presumably, your own headband counts towards your score. So on the nigh-impossible off-chance that he keeps it...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ooh, an interesting mix of old and new in that teamup.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hopeford posted:

I really like Bakugou's character. He's an unapologetic rear end, but ever since his match with Deku he learned his limitations. Instead of using this to make him not be as much of an rear end anymore, the manga just went ahead with him piling on more and more pressure on himself to try to be the best. And this most recent chapter he was just being the raddest of them all. Really can't help but cheer for the guy.

...Hell, I can't help but cheer for all of them. Actually find myself liking most of the cast. Katy Perry dude is the only one I'm not a huge fan of so far, and even him I'm mostly neutral on.

Also most importantly, Navel guy somehow made it to the next round which fills my heart with endless amounts of joy.

Katy Perry dude?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It's because he didn't actually "use" it. He swung in the air to cause an air current powerful enough to blow his hand out of the way. Had he actually made contact he would have gibbed IcyHot's arm while probably breaking a finger or two. The real test is seeing if he can actually control his hits against someone weaker than him without gibbing either person.

If air pressure will do the job, why even bother trying to fine-tune your power until you can hit someone slightly less lethally? Just stop in front of their face and let the shockwave do its thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I want Uraraka to kick Bakugou's rear end.

It'd be fantastic if this happens, but I am kind of expecting her to get horribly mauled, not least because Bakugou's got some character-important match ups later on, like against his hardening buddy. On an unrelated note, holy poo poo that poor C-List bastard going up against Todoroki in his first round. How many fractions of a second do you think he'll last?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that's a useful workaround to keep All Might around once he gets killed off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MadHat posted:

She basically operates as a slightly fancier Support Student. Not that powerful alone but makes an amazing member for a Tea,m.

I dunno, she's pretty devastating in a solo fight if she has prep time. Unfortunately for her, that's not a on option in this format and matchup.

Narratively, it makes sense for Bakugou to win. That places him against the closest thing he has to a friend, Kirishima, and gives Deku a clear run of fights against important rivals - Todoroki, then Iida, then Bakugou. Uraraka managing to take him down would be pretty rad, though, and it'd be hilarious to see Bakugou trying to adjust to cheering on Kirishima from the sidelines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On an unrelated note, there sure were some One Punch Man faces in this chapter. Crossover in 3... 2...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I really doubt we'll see much of Iida versus Shiozaki or Tokoyami versus Ashido, because who really cares, but all the other fights from now on are likely to get a fair degree of focus. Well, 'cept for the likely Tokoyami versus Bakugou battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Is it good?

I've been meaning to watch it.

It's hella pretty and has a good first half, but the pacing has tanked recently and they've failed at building a compelling central conflict with emotional resonance. I'd say Hero Academia is actually doing the same arc better, smarter, and more excitingly.