Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Also Beef Waifu likes it so if you dislike it you hate new ADTRW.

EDIT:

Also I'm very, very positive My Hero Academia isn't doing the exact same arc as UBW at all. As shown in the other thread, you've kind of been consistently missing points.

Exact same, no, similar conflict between selflessness and selfishness, yes. I think HA does a better job of grounding Deku's dilemma and making us feel the consequences - UBW often seems like an abstract and overly-verbose thought experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I would think that Endeavour was the guy who wanted to scoop up Deku, but he's too serious an antagonist for All Might's over-the-top, comic reaction. That was 'oh poo poo, wacky shenanigans coming', not 'oh poo poo, my pupil's been headhunted by a nightmarish domestic abuser'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Uraraka's hair in coloured panels always throws me off. The black and white art always makes her look blonde, when it's apparently quite a dark brown instead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Which is quite standard in manga but always throws me off, too. Most lightly colored hair in manga is brown.

Sure, but it looks like it should be light brown. Dark brown is usually grey or black.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Even the best case scenario is that they'd run ads on it.

Tiger and Bunny/Hero Academia crossover? I'd watch it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Spoilers are out.

The usual, people who get mad at intentionally mousing over things want to avoid those bars.

Non-Spoiler Note: This chapter owns IMO.

Basically it's non-descript discussion between the kids and teachers about picking who they work for. Uraraka is the only person who really announces what she's doing; she's going to work for a combat-oriented hero named "Muzzle Head" or "Gun Head" depending on translation. She says after her fight with Bakugou she realizes she needs to get tougher, and that'll help her even if she wants to be a rescue/disaster-relief type hero.

All-Might shows up and snags Midoriya to let him know that his nomination is NOT Endeavor like a lot of people thought...

...it's a really old hero named "Gran Torino". No, seriously.

All Might is visibly shaken, and shivers in seeming terror the whole time. He apparently was All Might's homeroom teacher back in his day at Yuuei, and he had forgotten that he was another person who knows about the true nature of One for All. Midoriya is obviously nervous as hell.

On the way to leave for their first day, Midoriya and Uraraka talk about how they found out the guy who crippled Iida's brother is the "Hero Killer" named Stain, who has apparently killed a couple dozen heroes and crippled as many. They try to talk to Iida and let him know that he can lean on them; he gives a fake-smile and a "Yes" and turns away into the deathflaggy/injuryflaggy as gently caress DARK ANGRY GRIM SCOWL face. So yeah, he's going to go after Stain probably.

There's a bit where the teachers discuss a bit about the students, I think Eraserhead notices where Midoriya's endorsement is and is kinda concerned.

Midoriya shows up to a dilapidated building, enters, and finds a midget old guy splayed face down on the floor presumably in blood...but no it isn't, Gran Torino hops up and reveals he accidentally just fell on his dinner. A typical "Senile old person" gag goes on for a bit where he can't hear Midoriya's name right, etc etc. He asks Midoriya to throw on his costume (which he has gotten back finally) and show him how well can punch with One for All. Midoriya, burnt out says All Might doesn't have a lot of time left and he can't play games so he's leaving.

The old man ricochets around the room at super-high speed, destroying stuff, and pops right into Midoriya's path. He tells him to show him what he's got. ~fin~

Called it - All Might's reaction was way too goofy to be setting up an Endeavour apprenticeship. That's not how you start a heavy arc about marital rape and parental abuse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if right wing otaku in Japan complain about this series.

I don't recall libertarians being quite so embedded in the Japanese right. The good ol' Empire was pretty authoritarian and collectivist, after all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I get the whole idea is that he has a "smile" but in reality his whole mask/faceguard setup looks like a creepy clown thing.

I dunno what else works though; a corny silver-age All Might costume would be ehhhhhh. Something that looks/works like Batman's suit from Arkham Knight (minus the cape) or the Crysis power suit or something would be the most practical but would again, make him kinda look sinister.

Like Iida's costume is awesome but that helmet really kinda makes him look sinister.

Consider Iida's originally planned costume design. Now, as the blurb mentions, his character concept has changed a lot since then, but I think it's still significant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Chapter is out:

http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/48/1

Spoilers: Midoriya gets the idea to...apply the 5% he can control to his whole body evenly instead of trying to use it in bursts. I dunno, that seems like the first thing I'd try but whatever!

We've seen how badly OFA can wreck him. Would you really want to run the risk of ripping your whole body apart with your powers?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Reminds me a bit of Blackbeard in some ways. Dude started out as a bottom-rung chump nobody'd ever heard of only to weasel his way to the top villain slot over the course of the series. Typically the villain of any given story begins in a place of power over the heroes who must journey to improve themselves, so it was kinda cool seeing a bad guy who had to step his game up and grow throughout the series as well.

I see a lot of potential for that in Shiggy.

See also, Glemmy Toto from ZZ Gundam, who started off as an inexperienced rich kid pilot with mild but troubling boundary issues with women and used the family credit account, some strategic orphanage-scouting, and a dash of cunning and charisma to make a serious bid at becoming paedo-king of the solar system.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess Mina's a high priority for a spotlight chapter/arc, huh? Cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want Midnight's swiffer slippers. Then I might actually get around to cleaning my floor.

I'm glad that the cast looks to be expanding to really include class B as well. It's a lot of characters, but I think they'll be able to make it work. The key will just be not having Deku resolve everything like the equivalent character in every other shounen series would.

Popular shonen manga last for-loving-ever, and we've got a durable premise that can just keep on ticking (even after All Might's probable death). The author has plenty of time to flesh out a large cast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A new omake for My Hero Academia is up!

It's just that one page.

Kind of disappointed that Mina's costume isn't some hideous Eighties fashion travesty. C'mon, girl, you've got a style to maintain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

The Noumu are supposed to be these dangerous killing machines, but it looks like you could just jam a finger in their exposed brain pretty easily.

If comics have taught me anything, it's that poking a superbeing's exposed brain is a good way to get your fingers melted or lasered off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Todoroki getting a chance to be a proper hero. :unsmith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's really dependent on whether the author gets forced to do that or not. Almost every one of his villains are misunderstood in both his works (Zoo, Bulge). Even the most "evil" character in Zoo, the Bear, ended up being a little redeemed in the extra chapter that was released after the final one. Bulge's villain ended up rejoining the kingdom with the happy ending. Hell even whaleboy, who was horrifyingly selfish and killed someone, got a bit of redemption and possible change.

I think the villains are going to have tragic backstories just as much as the heroes, it's just there's no way for Stain to ever become a hero after murdering all these people so he'll be stuck as a villain until he dies. Same with Shigaraki.

Also, totes calling it that Iida gets someone killed or himself maimed pretty horribly. He's becoming a real poo poo.

They've already raised the possibility of redeeming Shigaraki. It'd be a bitch to do, but I do reckon that'll actually be an arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

This manga legit has a ton of cool, fun characters which I like, which is one of the author's strengths, so I don't really mind who wins.

Except for Venom Chainsaw. gently caress that guy.

Just you wait. When Chainsaw shows up, I'll bet he'll end up being ludicrously rad.

Turns out All Might was crippled for life by being exposed to his raw charisma.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I guess we're not looking at Darth Iida after all. My guess is either Deku ends up getting majorly injured from his imperfect One for All usage, or Iida pushes himself too hard trying to be an ideal hero and ends up wrecking himself physically, psychologically, or both.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Also Stain is an assassin, he normally would just run away in this kind of situation.

With how strong Stain is even without his quirk I wonder if we'll see any true quirk-less heroes(though they would have to be hiding it otherwise Deku would've known about them).

Tail guy comes close - he's basically just a martial artist with a fifth limb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Given the American comics influence in the series, I half hope that My Hero Academia treats foreign superheroes like US comics do and have every hero be some kind of broad cultural stereotype. I look forward to Buick Man, Eagle Boy and the Religious Right showing up in future arcs.

The Religious Right would be a pretty amazing alternative name for Hellboy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bets on Endeavour being responsible for Stain being... what he is? I mean, he's the embodiment of what the Hero Killer hates, and that hosed-up face of his sure looks like someone burned the hell out of it (and not Todoroki junior, either - it was like that from his introduction).

poo poo, maybe he's even another failed son.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

I dunno. I don't think we have any evidence that Endeavour dabbled in genetic engineering as well as eugenics. (RE: Darth Walrus and failed son)

Stain just seems like a regular (if horribly injured and insane) quirk-haver, though. He's not a Noumu. All it'd take would be a mother with a similar superpower.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It'd be kind of amazing if Stain finally meets All Might and just ends up fanboying out and asking him to autograph his bandages.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, they're first on the cannon fodder list.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's made it at least a year in Shonen Jump. It's pretty much a when at this point.

Also, best girls:

-Tsuyu
-Asui-san
-Froppy
-Ashido
-???

How is Uraraka 'awakened murder-Buddha' Ochako not on there?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

the Symbiotes are kinda lame, and his general badguys like the Shocker, Rhino, the dude in the stupid bird costume, are all pretty lame too

like Green Goblin and Doc Ock are alright but man Spiderman has had to fight some of the worst badguys ever

You're forgetting Daredevil, who spent much of his history as the dumping ground for Spider-Man's really crappy villains. And the Kingpin, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont really see what makes rhino worse than any other 'hey it's a big dude that the hero has to outsmart' villain

His costume can end up looking pretty cheap and lame - less like experimental powered armour fused to his body, more like a plasticky Halloween getup. The version in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon was pretty neat, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, Jiro's rather scarier than we thought. :stare:

Her ear-jacks can rip apart anything they're 'plugged into' from the inside out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They can also just blast soundwaves. She has always been fairly impressive.

Right, yeah, but there's a difference between merely having firepower and being Horrifying-Internal-Injuries-Administered-Via-Red-Hot-Ear-Tentacle Girl.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caidin posted:

How did he find out about it? Someone ingesting your blood/hair/sweat while you hope really hard they get your super powers from it seems like a strange place to arrive at unless you already knew it would work.

His brother could give superpowers to people. That seems a decent reason to check just in case.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

So this chapter was fairly interesting. I like that it firmly establishes, both in general but also thematically, the idea that evil gives rise to good in opposition of it, rather than good causing evil, as so many superhero series and adaptations have tried to go for. Its easy to see how one particularly greedy fellow with the right Quirk would take advantage of the apparent social upheaval to basically become Khan Noonien Singh, plus its interesting to think on the implication that that the power stockpiling of One For All must have originally come from someone entirely unrelated to its eventual succession.

The question that hangs in my mind is on One For All's original host. How did he retain enough of his will after receiving a Quirk from his brother - pretty firmly established by this point as carrying mind-numbing strain - so as to plot the whole succession scheme?

Was it Justice?

It was established that many, but not all, of AFO's quirk repositories got their brains fried by the experience. He just got lucky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right - it's a concussion beam, as evidenced by the fact that he can use the recoil from it for propulsion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, Midnight's going to be a rough matchup for whoever she's up against. I mean, what are they even expected to do against her other than fall asleep in seconds? 13 also seems like an... unusual candidate for a training scenario. You have to work pretty hard to find a non-lethal combat application for loving miniature black holes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

So if i'm right its 1 and 2 vs eraser, and 3 and 4 vs all might, so it is ordered by grades then? if so 5 and 6, etc... say isn't urakura number 13?

If it worked like that, Iida would be paired with Momo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

im hoping against hope that bakugou ends up being the venom to midoriya's spider man, so to speak, rather than actually joining the opposition. manga has enough sasukes already

We've already had Stain.

I am wondering about Bakugou - for a while now, him being at total rear end in a top hat has been played for laughs, without significant consequences (and a new friend who just soaks it up because that's his superpower) and he's had the odd little humanising moment with the other students to show he's not all bad. I assumed that he'd just end up as a genuinely great hero who just happens to have a ludicrously abrasive attitude because it's funny, but now they're treating it a bit more seriously again, poo poo might get a bit more real.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

If she and birdboy have a kid then that kid would be unstoppable.

I, too, endorse the frogmouth pairing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

So I'm doing a reread of the series and I'm really wondering how on earth Mr. Hot Coldman managed to get 2nd place in the physical test in chapter 6. His quirk doesn't seem very helpful there, and he even managed to beat Bakugou.

Also how invisible girl managed to pass the entrance exam. I guess she must use some sort of weapon.

I think we can assume it's a given that the point-scoring robots are designed so that a sufficiently capable martial artist can disable them with their bare hands. Besides, she's invisible. She could just walk round behind one and start pulling wires out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HellishWhiskers posted:

Every one of the ten seconds of it before they inevitably fail because how the hell is this is supposed to hurt All Might?

It doesn't need to hurt him. Just stun him long enough for them to slap the handcuffs on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of the main characters has leg-engines powered by orange juice that give him super-speed. That's, like, the definition of 'don't examine this too closely, ya nerds'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

OPM crossover, with no combat. Just Saitama and Uraraka bonding as fellow poors on special sale day

With one panel of combat, surely?