Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Oh, so she doesn't vanish, she presumably just flash-disguises herself as a rock or something when Deku takes his eyes off her.

Neat.

I don't think it's even that. She's a shapeshifter who just happens to also be a ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mineta is great solely because you always get some dude in the thread virtue signalling about him every time he shows.

Oh man, if there was ever an awful internet phrase in need of a word filter...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Virtue Signaling is basically a fancier version of the old 4chan "moralfag" insult.

don't use it

Yeah, it's basically saying that since nobody can truly care about things, any attempt to raise an objection to something on moral grounds (or anything tangentially related to moral grounds) is just a way to signal to everyone else that you're a good person.

Like, there may hypothetically be the occasional case where that sort of thing does happen, but the phrase and its usage is generally indicative of a really warped worldview.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
C'mon, of course it's reversible. You really think they're going to take Bakugou's best friend out of the story by having him turned into a flesh-lump offscreen during an exam?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember, this is the easy bit. They didn't have to fight the real monsters, and could concentrate on banding together and eliminating the weaker foes en masse. I imagine we'll start to see 1A students drop out in the upcoming rounds, as they're forced to face off against genuinely troublesome enemies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

yeah UA not losing anyone just means that they haven't been taken out, not that they're all proceeding. i'd be shocked if everyone makes it to the next round. honestly I'm sorta surprised one of the current Deku Trio didn't say "there's no way I'll make it past next round, eliminate me and go on" to Deku.

Nah, Deku, Uraraka, and Sero are all through. We saw them tagging the enemies they'd incapacitated with the boulder trick. This section really was just a walk in the park to show off 1A's power, with the actual challenges still to come.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Do... Do you not know what petting is?

He's a goon. Take that as a given.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm guessing that the objective of the 'civilians' is to be as obnoxious as possible and make life as difficult as possible for their rescuers in order to push their skills to the limit.

I'm absolutely positive I've seen that sort of test in another story somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they are not enemies so it does not matter.

May get pitched against each other in another combat trial, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Radish posted:

No Tsuyu step back, too froggy!

Yeah I hope he accepts his dad is trash but that doesn't mean he has to "live up" to him, doesn't forgive him but removes him from his life outside of professionally, then becomes his own person. He's still his father's son at this point and that relationship was poisonous from before he was even born. It doesn't need to be salvaged.

Well, getting to give Endeavour a beatdown after he inevitably crosses the line would be pretty satisfying, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

I want him to be redeemed, but I want him to have to deal head on with all the pain and issues he's caused each of his kids. I want him to try to reach out to them like a normal father would, just to realize that kind of relationship may never be possible again and that his actions may have closed his children's hearts to him forever. And I want him to keep trying to undo what he did, regardless of how futile it is

Well, and his wives. Guy is a heavily-implied serial marital rapist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Wives? I thought the point was that he only had one wife and it was just that only Todo was the one to get the quirk set that Endeavor wanted.

I got the impression that Shouto's mother was one of several... uhh... genetic donors that Endeavour went through to get the perfect combination of quirks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do hope we'll see some villain redemptions, like in any good, idealistic superhero story. It's already been set up that this will be Deku's win condition against Shiggy, but it'd be nice to see a few other villains switch over. Toga seems way, way too far gone, and All for One is a living incarnation of evil in the same way All Might is a living incarnation of good, so they're probably out, but Dabi, Twice, Spinner, and even Stain seem like they're at least distant possibilities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No. Stain was All Might's biggest fan and wanted to be killed by him, because he thought he was the only real hero.

Also. I don't think Stain would be super against all the new villains popping up. Like he wouldn't be glad of it or anything but he'd be more preoccupied with the fact that now that All Might's dead there's no true heroes any more and the rest should all loving die. Especially with Endeavor as the new number 1.

This is where I remind everyone that Stain wore his mask to conceal massive, horrific burn scars.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

My copies of Volume 3 and Volume 4 arrived and I just finished reading Volume 3. Any series with such an expansive cast takes me ages to read because I have to come up with a suitable voice for everyone and then remember what voice I assigned to them. I really liked how Midoriya didn't use his Quirk to win the race and I'm happy that as soon as he got One For All he didn't start using it for everything. It feels like Deku earned his abilities and still has to work really hard to do well. I loved the panel of All Might throwing up his hands in a "Yeahhhhhhhhh boy" gesture when Midoriya took the lead in the race because I was doing that too. It's a really great series so far but I don't know why the main character is in it so little, I guess his tummy hurts a lot but still he should show up more.

e: Also Todoroki definitely seems like he's Sasuke also a loser like his dad probably is

Actually, Todoroki is good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Then he'll start dressing all in black and listen to sad music.

Tokoyami will be extremely confused and upset at someone else stealing his schtick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The first 700ish chapters of one piece are officially colored and have decent to good translations on kissmanga. Don't watch the anime. Read up through the arlong park arc and you'll understand why people love one piece.

The colours are controversial, but I found they helped me a lot - by the Skypeia arc, Oda's art gets very heavy on detail and light on shading, making it hard to visually process. The colours add a lot of clarity, and really bring out that detail.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

A guy who sweats nitroglycerin must be a real hit in additional screening at the airport

I imagine that when 80% of people have superpowers, many of which are insanely destructive, airport security staff have mostly just given up and slunk home.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/peterfobian/status/812801639287386113

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, which one of these new folks d'you reckon is One Piece?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rhonne posted:

What an inspiring speech.

Eh, few too many dogwhistles for my taste.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel that saying One Piece peaks at Enies Lobby does a great disservice to the stretch from Sabaody to Marineford (I'm only excluding Thriller Bark because it was a fun episodic adventure, rather than searing-hot Peak One Piece). It was only with the timeskip that we hit a significant slump, with three weaker arcs in a row (Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, and Dressrossa), and it does at least look like things are picking up again.

I speak only of the manga, of course, because nobody should watch the One Piece anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question do any jump series have a main villain as outright creepy looking as Shigaraki.

Illumi Zoldyck from Hunter X Hunter might count. He was the closest thing the Election Arc had to a main villain, anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

what the gently caress

While that's a bizarre thing to say, it is true that Goku and the shonen heroes who he inspired (like Luffy and Gon from Hunter X Hunter), are supposed to be a little bit inhuman, with strange, selfish ideologies that mostly keep them in line with traditional heroism, but can sometimes see them veer off in odd and disturbing directions. It's intentional, and there's always at least one arc that brings it to the forefront (Marineford, Chimera Ant, Cell) to show how messed-up these kids are underneath it all, but I can totally see why it might be offputting, and why more relatable ascended-everyman heroes like Deku might be more your jam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was that even a person that Shigaraki disintegrated? Looked like a Twice-esque clone of Overhaul.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seems pretty likely to me that Shigaraki will end up being redeemed, for the extremely simple reason that this is a fundamentally idealistic story where the possibility of him being redeemed has been raised (also, because it's something All Might never did for All for One, and Deku needs more ways to surpass his mentor). It probably won't happen for a very long time, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

im bubble girl's boobs falling out the second she gets into a fight

The myriad benefits of an invisible bubble bra.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Predicting isn't really a thing in western comics so why

There've been a few folks who can do this. Cass Cain and Lady Shiva from DC, Mr. X from Marvel, and the Midnighter from The Authority. I think Clock King's got in on it at times, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i'm going to guess those robots aren't super hard to disable if they can't register your presence

Or hard to disable, period. Judging by the people who got through, any reasonably capable martial artist can take them down.

I mean, consider the mind control guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

yeah everyone does that

die, that is

Mangakas and animators do tend to die a little faster, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
These would be the solution to all of Shigaraki's problems.

Unless he, like, clenched his hand into a fist or something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

These are pretty great, except the Uraraka pose. And i shant stand for this disparaging of the Black Clover guy.

:colbert:

He's objectively correct. There is a not-insignificant amount of rear end in that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terper posted:

Overhaul will probably explode some dudes and then they're put back together is my guess for worst thing to happen.

That would certainly make for a pretty intense hostage situation.