Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

The Awesomesaurus posted:

(364 spoilers) I wonder how Bakugo is going to feel about a whole-rear end dude becoming his heart.

saw it pointed out on twitter that bakugo's look in endeavor's little flash-forward vision of everyone's adult costumes in 357 has a good number of parallels to edgeshot's, especially the bomb fuse mask tie to match the bow edgeshot makes with his mask ties. breaking the link since we're still in leak discussions: https://twitter. com/Diem_Violet/status/1562737027056955392

so it looks like he decides to inherit the will of fire and carry on edgeshot's ninja way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

If that's the case then that chapter confirms a bunch of survivors, doesnt it? Deku, Bakugo, Iida, Yaoyorozu, Kirishima, Todoroki and Uraraka are all in that panel.

I don't think we can say it truly confirms anything, but again it would be insanely funny for deku to go "that was how we ALL became the greatest hero" every five chapters if anyone in 1-A dies. Always space for a Neji though, I suppose.

anyways this moment still feels incredibly weird in part because it seems obvious from an emotional standpoint that if any pro hero currently on the scene should be sacrificing himself for bakugo, it should be best jeanist, but instead it's a guy he's literally never talked to afaicr lol

Valentin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 26, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I have never quite grasped edgeshot's quirk* and tbh from this cliffhanger I don't think Hori has a very clear idea of it to begin with. Like, after thinking for two seconds through the idea of edgeshot turning himself into a string, weaving(?) replacements for the missing parts of the heart, and then manually pumping blood through bakugo's heart for even a minute, "best jeanist just works on muscle fibers now, roll with it" would've been way more intuitive and felt less out-of-nowhere

*I know what it does and how it works I can just not ever tell what it's doing in an action sequence or what it's supposed to be able to do. He can "transform faster than the speed of sound"; what the gently caress does that mean, and if it's just "he can launch his transformed spring parts so fast it breaks the sound barrier," why not just say that? One would think a transformation would have a length measured in time, not a linear speed. How does he e.g. fight Shigaraki by doing anything other than making microscopic holes in him, and what is that supposed to do besides stabbing someone in the heart or brain? I simply don't get it.

To compare to Horikoshi's favorite movie, "He can transform faster than the speed of sound" has a real "Kessel run in 12 parsecs" energy, except that how fast the millennium falcon actually was didn't matter at all to the narrative. Are all his attacks/transformations as loud as a gunshot? It was never meant to bear this much narrative weight.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 29, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

absolutely lots of quirks are just kinda stupid if you think about them for too long, as with all superpowers, this just stands out to me because the explicit initial gag regarding edgeshot is that he claims to be able to do ninja magic but it's literally just a million versions of "makes himself into string" (uses a string arm to hook a log into his current position while he strings away to be substitution jutsu, turning into a very thin string to pass through doors and walls, etc), and this doesn't fit intuitively into that at all.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So what you're saying is that it is 100% in line with bad comic books.

fixed but otherwise yes

e: also the use of magnetic in that panel actually makes way more sense intuitively than this does. Like it's immediately understandable what's going on and how the writer got there, it's just also stupid.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 29, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

where is the comic that stakes a cliffhanger and emotional beat on "the flash can make speed force clothes" because I very badly want to read it

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah edgeshot's quirk literally never made sense to begin with. it's just that you can get away with things not making perfect sense if 1) whatever's going on is good/cool/flashy enough to make the audience not care (eri continually rewinding deku is a good example of this) and 2) whatever leap you're making is followable enough for handwaving it to actually work (e.g., explosions already made you go superfast so explosions anywhere making bakugo super acrobatic more or less tracks). like, edgeshot's first appearance was to somehow precisely knock the darkness cloud guy unconscious by vaguely fiddling with his brain. it didn't really make any sense but all it did was enable an actual meaningful confrontation between the league and pro heroes, so you could immediately skip past it, and it wasn't really much more than a slightly dressed up version of the "blow that should absolutely have been lethal but somehow just knocked a dude out," which is a classic comic standby because writing actual non-lethal combat with superhero powers is hard.

here the goal is to resurrect bakugo, almost immediately after he got a Dramatic Shonen Death Scene that people were already pretty sure wasn't going to stick, and the handwave required to go from "becoming a superfast supersharp string that can pierce poo poo on a microscopic level" to "straight up becoming a human heart" is enormous. it's especially noticeable given that there were plenty of other suggestions (mysterious 2nd user's quirk, creation of the denim jeart, momo makes an artificial heart) that more or less emerged from what we already understood to be true. it's neither the stupidest thing in comics nor even probably the stupidest thing in MHA, but it's happening at a narratively important time with a big fancy cliffhanger page and people were already skeptical, so it very much sticks out.

it's all moot anyways because pretty much no hero has succeeded on a cliffhanger in this fight so far and I would guess that that's not about to change. this is just Yet More Stalling Until Goku Arrives.

unrelatedly it's immensely funny to be like "HOLD HIM OFF, MIRKO" when she's already been reduced to trying to bite shigaraki. what exactly are you expecting her to do? made even weirder by the fact that while she's struggling to get out of shigaraki's grip, mirio is directly fighting and distracting shigaraki in the literal same panel

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 29, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats kind of always been mha's weakness even in its better arcs, horikoshi just isnt good at coming up with interesting scenarios that force conflict to happen. bad guys just kinda show up and start doing bad things and then the heroes show up to beat them up. even when the motivation is interesting like with stain, they were basically just walking down the street and then an ff7 battle transition happened and they started doing spinkicks at each other.

i was going to make a joke about how horikoshi took his disinterest in fight setups or settings to its logical conclusion by coming up with the ingenious idea to just put shigaraki vs everyone on a literal blank featureless plain but after thinking about it for a second he did that with literally every fight here which is honestly pretty funny. endeavor and afo go into the sky, deku's in a void over the open ocean, dabi immediately burned down most of kamino and the anything else that could be a background element is blocked by walls of flame. even toga and uraraka immediately went from "the aquarium" to just sort of vaguely splashing around in nondescript shallows. gotta get rid of every possible background to be able to draw hands at peak performance

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 29, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Honestly incredible to get to the point where tearing off yet another limb of a well-liked character, who the author says is his favorite, is not just expected but boring and perfunctory. the first time it was neat, now it's just the black knight gag stretched to unbelievable length. Also given that he's previously explicitly nonlethally hosed with people's insides it seems silly that edgeshot's dangerous technique is to let him nonlethally tinker with someone's insides, but whatever.

all of this is whatever, it's fine. Horikoshi can't portray this fight compellingly enough, even with the arbitrary declaration that AFO is vulnerable now, to overcome the feeling that we're just killing time until deku arrives.

Also lmao that shigaraki has to explicitly say "no, this isn't about them accumulating enough damage on me that it finally counts." can't wait to learn what it really was in three or four weeks!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 2, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

also MHA being pretty good (and, just as importantly, heavily hyped) early on means it probably has a decent number of readers who don't otherwise read much shonen (esp. contemporary shonen) and in turn have a different yardstick for what they consider "bad shonen" (it's interesting that this thread often turns to comparisons to dbz/bleach/naruto instead of comparing to e.g. JJK or black clover or demon slayer)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 6, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Plus Toga and Shigaraki lost pretty much any depth and who knows what's up with Spinner

if you told me during MVA that one of the planned final battles in the series would be spinner vs shoji i would've been so excited for what that implied about how interested the manga would become in exploring the body-changing quirks and the alluded-to discrimination associated with them, lmao. what a waste.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

okay yeah that was amusing

also the revelation that the family bodies were...also just a hand, but for punching, is very funny but not in the same way

and I still can't believe we're theoretically going to cut away from this for other fights. unless the plan is just to leave it at the anime at this point.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I just don't think Hori is very good at plotting or drawing a compelling fight. Almost every fight in MHA has come down to "whomst punch/quirk awaken harder" and I wouldn't say there are any particular standouts that spring to mind if you had to name "cool fights in MHA". Not even a whole lot of compelling emotional bits or memorable setpieces or cool payoffs in the series' fights. Compounding the issue, he forgot to write arcs or sideplots for anyone except deku, shiggy, and the todorokis. So unless you're really hype for Akira, but with hands, there's just no hook to any of these fights.

e: like, PEACHES is just reverse harem jutsu except it doesn't pay off a running gag or do much meaningful with mirio's earlier characterization. Not like the Naruto bit was top-flight writing or anything, it just had the slimmest bit of history to it in a way almost nothing going on in this finale does.

double edit: if pressed I would say cool moments in MHA fights are like. Stain fight, overhaul 100%, shigaraki putting his hand through that one mook's face and his general quirk awakening. Mirko's fights have always been more conceptually cool to me than visually or narratively compelling. I'm probably missing a couple but that's most of what stands out.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

?????

All Might vs. Nomou. Todoroki vs. Deku, Stain vs. Heroes, Bakugo + Deku vs. All Might, Deku vs. Bakugo, Endavour + Hawke vs. High End, MVA fights, Mirko vs. High Ends. And they all sprung to my mind literally instantly. Like, I fully agree that MHA went down to shitter recently, but all those "and therefore, MHA was actually always poo poo, if you thing about it" takes are pretty dumb.

I mean I'd argue all the italicized fights are exactly examples of what I'm talking about, but isn't the bolded one literally "oh no, this nomu can absorb the force of all might's punches!! Whatever will we do!" *All might punches harder and it works*

e: I think a lot of the MVA/war fights are not particularly interesting (dabi and geten is literally just dueling energy blasts iirc) but toga vs whoever and sad man's parade are both definitely highlights.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 17, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Like if you want to argue that not every fight in MHA is emotional, memorable, with cool payoff and with creative and tactical use of quirks than I definitely agree, but that's pretty far from your original complaint.

eh, I think we are just operating with different standards here. I went back to reread deku vs todoroki, because I was surprised I'd forgotten a pretty crucial early fight, and it's not really that interesting! deku shoots invisible wind pressure cannons forward, todoroki shoots ice back, the whole fight takes place on a straight line. deku punches him twice, shoto closes the distance in return by hiding behind some ice (and it's the most interesting thing in the whole fight), then they return to shooting energy from opposite sides of the arena. even the big fire reveal isn't super visually compelling, imo. And then it ends with, surprise, they both cover themselves in energy and there's a big invisible energy clash and smoke.

Mirko vs the high ends is like 20 pages over four chapters, Mirko kicks them a bunch, dodges (and one time doesn't dodge) a lot of out-of-nowhere momentumless flesh tentacles (just like the current fight lol), runs down a corridor, then gets stabbed a bunch of times. that's the whole fight!

Maybe people disagree, very possible I'm an outlier. But try e.g. reading deku vs shoto and rock lee vs Gaara against each other (they're almost literally the same premise, guy who only punches vs elemental master in an early tournament arc), and I think hori's issues with fight choreo, engaging use of shonen fighting magic, momentum/pacing, and readability become extremely evident. And kishimoto's not a uniquely-gifted master (though I think he gets undersold because of people's understandable issues with the series as a whole), he just executes on important fundamental things and doesn't replace all possible visual spectacle with explosions and smoke.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah I don't think Hori is all bad by any stretch, and I don't think a series gets this popular without doing something right. He's just not very good at fights, and the series has so many of them and they're so much of the screentime. And there are ways around that, like I think e.g. chainsaw man is an absolutely phenomenal shonen series with relatively few, mostly very short fights. But instead of choosing another route Hori has piloted us to the Everyone Fights Everyone Ninja War V ending, and I don't think that plays to his strengths at all.

One of the best fights is probably deku vs gentle, and that plays heavily into the school slice of life stuff and leans a lot on character motivation, and I think had Hori found a way to retain focus on those strengths as he amped up his stakes we'd be having a very different conversation.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think the problem with bakugo's arc, to the extent there is one, is that Hori hit the eject button and tried to make him Just That Crazy Bakugo too early, but still didn't give up on "bakugo learns to be less lovely" as an arc. If you hate endeavor, characters voice that opinion in the story and even after the major parts of his arc the one son is still like "idk, you were still abusive and lovely and I don't think I can ever be fully cool with you coming around." but the story backs off of bakugo's deal being a serious issue pretty quickly, deku never reacts to it with particular seriousness that I can recall, everyone else treats his lashing out and violent threats as a quirky character trait. But it keeps coming up as a serious story element for him, so by the time he's apologizing right before the final arc, it just sort of feels like he's the only one who still cares about any of it. so I think for certain readers it feels like his behavior is never really addressed by the manga despite being repeatedly foregrounded.

personally I think whether it's a TV show or comic you kind of just have to accept a certain degree of light authorial retconning with stuff like that in a serialized story. if you're still watching gossip girl in season six and going "okay but WHEN is this show going to address the attempted rape in episode one that it immediately memory-holed and pretended never happened," you are only frustrating yourself to no real end. but Hori trying to thread the retcon needle so bakugo WAS an awful bully, but not THAT awful, didn't do him any favors.

e: also Hori is just wrong about how interesting Deku completely no-selling the bullying is, but that's sort of a recurring thing for deku in general (smelly vigilante deku was way more interesting than eternally smiling symbol of hope deku) and not just specific to bakugo's stuff.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 18, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

shinso feels like a strange artifact of a hypothetical 700 chapter MHA, where the concepts he introduces about quirk discrimination and school-related stuff are way more important. his power should be extremely useful given that all the villains love to loving talk and have no idea who he is, so he's been quietly whisked offstage since (as eraserhead shows) Hori has no idea how to handle it.

e: honestly the funniest thing about shinso is that in the very same arc where he's like "I've trained very hard and can now use eraserhead's fancy scarf" deku just gets blackwhip, which is the scarf but a million times better.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 19, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

one thing after reading the official translation: it's wild to me that hori very rarely draws a hit actually connecting. not only does it seem like a waste to not like, show deku completely pasting shiggy here, it also makes it incredibly hard to parse what's going on up front with shigaraki knocking everyone away one-by-one. you constantly have to guess at what action happened between panels.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 19, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I don't even know what the reader is supposed to feel about this anymore. everyone got badly hosed up! no wait it's fine. okay time to have the exact same fight we would have had if deku didn't get teleported to the wrong place, forcing everyone to spin their wheels for twenty chapters.

also at this point showing all the AFO users at once mostly just underlines how boring they are as a group. especially impressive since nana was supposed to have important emotional relationships to many of the key characters in the manga and now she's just looking vaguely bored as another member of the "oh right, those guys" ensemble. deku's most important OFA mentor is the blackwhip guy!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

heck, there's plenty of trek episodes where viewers can and do get real invested in the fate of a pvt gump borando. but alas, MHA is no wej duj.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

There is no sense of just letting things play out in this thread.

hm I guess it will be technically different when you can go "oh man big cliffhanger what will suneater's big move do" and instead of waiting a week to go "oh, nothing" you can turn the page and go "oh, nothing," but I'm skeptical it'll be that different

also I'm not going to go back and read this manga in one go lol I'm going to finish it and move on, like many readers do. there's no do-over here.

e: also the dominant complaint is not "this is bad because of how it is going to play out in the future" it's "this is bad and stupid because it's currently bad and stupid"

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 23, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

idk that I'll ever think dabi-shoto final showdown part I was great (it's a phenomenal demonstration of how Horikoshi's action is very difficult to parse and he relies pretty heavily on blanketing scenes in fire and explosions in lieu of making them actually dynamic), but with time I will likely concede that having the dude whose whole gimmick is that he just overwhelms opponents by shooting fire at them stand up from the smoke and go "haha brother, with my masterful technique and sharingan eye I immediately deduced the nature of your new unique special move in mere seconds and copied it, which let me be hotter than your cold, I'm going to go kill our lovely dad now" was pretty fun and funny

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 24, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I'll be honest that I do share cool kids inc.'s feelings on the negativity in this thread to be exhausting to read at times. It probably doesn't help that that negativity is also present in several other threads that I read, not all of which I post in. I mean, the world is falling apart, so I guess it's understandable, but exhausting is definitely the right word.

lmao come on with this

e: imagine coming into the mha thread and chiding others to talk differently instead of simply posting with a smile like a true symbol of hope. smh

Valentin fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 24, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

plenty of shoutouts small and large but i always thought the most unexpected was deku's powerset. fully spiderman'd that guy up with his added quirks.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Gonna warn for everyone that opens with the same picture bring discussed earlier

that picture loaded late for me so I was in the middle of reading through the convo about who's in control of afogaraki when I suddenly got jumpscared. Not a fan!

I really like the bit of deku repeatedly punching him with his right arm, but otherwise didn't really get much of this. how does fa jin enhance blackwhip, real "kaioken x20" energy from that. also very curious to see the official translation to see if the transmission/gears/gear shift phrasing is accurate because I have some pre-existing associations for that in a shonen context.

also I truly don't understand horikoshi's tendency to invoke arbitrary time limits. it's a month until shigaraki is ready, or it's a week, and there's no possible way we can distract shigaraki for two seconds to let deku in, and you have to beat him in five minutes or the world will be doomed. The exactitude of "two seconds" or "five minutes" doesn't add anything to the scene, and if anything the arbitrary nature of the numbers just detracts.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

just realized this is the second car-themed speed-based quirk horikoshi has introduced. deku continues to steal everyone else in 1-A's gimmicks lmao

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

this is a chapter where the official translation does a ton for making it read better. not that it was unclear what was going on, but having a proper tone and voice for the dialogue helps sell all the AFO/Shigaraki/Deku stuff better, which that conflict sorely needs

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like all the posts trying to drill down exact numbers to figure out just how underage the kid is are really missing the point. Forest for the trees kind of deal

it's extremely funny imo because everyone already agreed the whole thing sucked and was gross, but apparently some posting rituals are too deeply ingrained to shake

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

okay it's very funny to have deku detail meticulously how he's comboing his quirks and then have the second be like "so you see all for one it was never about the meta abilities themselves, it's about why people use them." I get the intent but those probably should have been not on the literal same page.

also somehow in the speedscans it went over my head that AFO could literally see and talk to the OFA ghosts and that bizarrely feels sillier than whatever I had previously inferred (which I guess was that they were both separately monologuing at each other about relevant points despite not being able to hear each other; maybe I have been watching too much g-reco). I guess a reckoning between AFO and the brother he betrayed was always obviously in the offing given quirk ghosts but I assumed it'd be more of a final grace note after AFO's defeat.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The idea is that the super powerful combination only exists because these people willingly passed them on to others

right, sure, I get what it's going for. it's just not a cleanly enough made point (or frankly, a meaningful or interesting enough one) to not feel like it's undermining itself.

also it rings a little hollow against the guy whose whole gimmick is making powerful combos out of quirks he took from people unwillingly. yeah I guess their intents will matter when their quirk ghosts rebel and kill him but that's a single blip weighed against like a century of quirk theft actually working great

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

eh I think the translated term is fine. the speech would work totally fine if it was for like, the vigilantes guy (I haven't read vigilantes), since to my understanding that's all about how a seemingly useless quirk gets turned into a tool of justice. or it could work here if this was like, mirio and ochako. but for deku and his seven very straightforwardly useful quirks (spider sense, smoke screen, Be Stronger and Be Stronger 2 being the most obvious ones. float could've been interesting but with the super strength it seems to functionally just be flight) it is not a very compellingly portrayed point

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

from may:

Valentin posted:

Shoji's going to win and the moral will be "bigotry is bad I guess but you probably shouldn't do a terrorism about it, go to hero school instead".

not that it was a tough read or anything, this was always the way this lingering plot thread was gonna get unceremoniously wrapped. hoping hori rushes it and the story can just move on, honestly.

e: also bringing back rock lock for this is a hilariously stupid choice. masterful.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 21, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it's a shame people being lovely drove the translator off twitter, I would've loved to have some insight as to how one approaches the "this never-before-mentioned racial pogrom is also a star wars reference" problem

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hmmm I feel like we can just say the manga that just introduced two star wars-themed racist massacres(?) In the same chapter as it depicts victims of that violence as a ravening faceless horde led by a mindless ogre, held back from harming innocents only by the heroic riot cops and their taser shields, is not thoughtfully and even-handedly tackling the sensitive subjects it is clumsily raising, irrespective of whatever real-world context it is meant to invoke.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 24, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

horikoshi invented a racial minority of people who look completely unique so it's honestly pretty hilarious that this mob consists of identical looking black silhouettes all with equally blank, empty eyes

e: oh they're spinner masks lmao well that's one way to solve the issue of wanting to draw a visual parallel between the racist mob at the start and spinner's followers

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 24, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I mean I think you can tack "and that is a disappointment given the preceding 300 chapters" onto most complaints in this thread at this point and it'll be true.

beyond that though, given that this is literally a series about members of a superpowered genetic majority training to become instruments of the criminal justice system, in which an early villain claims that heroes are immoral gloryseekers only in it for wealth and power only to be answered with "most heroes are good actually", I would suggest that while horikoshi's politics here do indeed seem to suck, they are nonetheless perfectly in line with his previous answers to the moral and ethical questions he has raised.

e: given what we've seen depicted of MHA's society I think it would've been way more fun to have a riot of the quirkless, but given this whole storyline I think it's clear horikoshi's more interested in the aesthetics of difference more than dynamics of power.

(my case for a quirkless movement: our initially quirkless hero is bullied and told to kill himself, endeavor's doing insane abusive eugenics for the sake of stronger quirks, people sell their souls to the supervillain devil for stronger quirks, people with "evil" quirks are also discriminated against per shinso, there's a quirk destroying bullet now, the ingredients are all there for someone to say "you know what, no more mutants" and pay off those threads instead of this being AFO vs OFA round five million, but I think it's pretty clear Hori isn't actually interested in that stuff)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 24, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Delphisage posted:

That's just gonna lead to repeating the flaws of Korra Season 1 if they're supposed to be the bad guys.

you can depict antagonists, even violent ones, with a sympathetic eye and even hand, exploring both the legitimacy of their grievances and the reasons your protagonists cannot agree with their preferred methods or aims. horikoshi usually doesn't have much interest in it, but you can.

but the point is such a story will never happen anyways; horikoshi isn't interested in acknowledging or exploring how power actually works in his setting or what the stated discrimination actually entails, he just wanted an easy reason for superman to feel like an underdog instead of, you know, superman.

e: one route to not doing Korra s1 is to make the movement real and legitimate instead of a fake movement astroturfed by a single member of the superpowered elite. Of course, "it was secretly caused by a single member of the superpowered elite" is hori's favorite explanation for things being wrong in society, so I agree he would likely have replicated the same issues.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 24, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i get what hori's going for with the paneling (i think) but lmao that we're being formally experimental and getting into spinner's POV so that we don't have to spend any time on the actual action of the mob stopping and dispersing. like i'm sure we'll go back to it later for cleanup and it'll be like oh shoji stopped the cop from firing/took the bullet and spinner killed some doctors or something, but with the intentionally vague closing pages and the sudden swerve it has a vibe of "okay yeah enough mutant racism or whatever time for what the people really want: present mic & spinner 1v1

also when he used the pig dude for the reaction shot of the hospital doctors i was like oh did this guy show up earlier in the chapter and i wasn't paying attention? is he like our mob POV character? and the answer is no but inexplicably there are a lot of uniquely-designed pig/warthog type dudes in this chapter. the reaction shots to both shoji and spinner's speeches feature two other visually distinct pig-based heteromorphs for some reason.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Pretty sure the cop that fired his gun was aiming at Spinner since that same page we see him getting crushed while Spinner is busting through the front door.

we see A cop getting crushed, with neither the distinguishing facial features of the cop with the gun (who looks like a primate mutant of some kind?) nor a gun in his hand. it's both an easy and probable read of it and also not unambiguous enough to be certain

e: on a reread this morning I do think it's supposed to be "the cop shoots at spinner and gets immediately crushed, the mob just sort of spontaneously stops out of embarrassment when they see the doctors and nurses" which is maybe the funniest way you could have resolved the entire sequence, props to Hori

Valentin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 7, 2022