Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if it's good that this industry does this to people
Togashi is a terrible example. The industry didn't do this to him. It was his own dumbass young self ingraining terrible postural habits that would've hit no matter what so long as he kept drawing, whether for work or for hobby.

It wasn't even limited to drawing.

And let's be clear: There's mangaka who can do the weekly schedule like it's nothing. Mashima has pushed out three weekly manga while still having time to draw fanart and stream himself doing so and manage spinoffs and poo poo and frankly that guy's a freak of nature. Meanwhile Azuma just pops out a Yotsuba like once a year when it hits his fancy. Mangaka come in all sizes and levels.
We've seen that it is possible for Jump to accommodate medical needs, but we're also talking about a passion industry where authors do not want to take breaks or switch magazines.

MHA is extremely successful. Horikoshi could take a whole-rear end month of a break or more, and I bet you Jump would say ok. He's long past the cancellation hurdle.
But he doesn't want to.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I said he was a bad example, not that Jump's schedules aren't grueling.

But they do give breaks, and Horikoshi could take one if he wanted.
The key phrase here is if he wanted.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Should've brought a pure oxygen tank.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't think AFO is taking damage fast enough to outpace the rewind.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's AFO trying to take control of Shiggy, claiming it's a brand new person, and being wrong about both, because Shiggy doesn't want to get subsumed into AFO and sometimes can even take back some control. That's not flopping, the writing is consistent with itself.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kanos posted:

Yeah that's the weird part. If these are just genetic memories then there should be a fully formed All Might in Deku's head because he passed it on and the quirk is completely burnt out of him, but the half-formed ghostly All Might(because the real one's still alive) implies some kind of metaphysical soul thing going on.
AM could sense the conversation Deku was having with the vestiges, so it's pretty clear there's a metaphysical aspect. (ch 304 onward)

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lmao, if that ancient janky fan translation that used individuality instead of quirk was actually correct all along.
Individuality was always the most correct translation, but it also sounds terrible compared to quirk.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ok so what editor thought this wasn’t a cool way for Deku to fight

For one it's only possible because AM has a shitton of connections and resources.
For another, he's going through a whole cast's worth of toys for one fight. It's not sustainable.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Honestly I'm surprised that's the only horror entry in the set, summer is horror season in Japan after all.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For one, his brain didn't get him anywhere. He was literally picked for his "heart without brains" approach. Half the point of the fight with Gentle was to get a win via a smart approach for a change.
For second, All Might is doing something only possible having amassed wealth, experience and connections and is burning through those resources in an incredibly short period and is being death flagged to hell and back (again).
For third, Deku never stopped beating a technical fighter what are you on about. I know it's been a long time but his last fight was literally a showcase in how to effectively use the wealth of abilities he was granted. If anything he's more technical now that he doesn't have to rely on exploding his bones just to get an edge.
For fourth, Spider-man is also a technical fighter so that's a really poor comparison.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 20, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Carlosologist posted:

sucks to be All Might's hands though

Aren't those AFO's?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
As an aside it seems Bakugo's explosions now all have the same star pattern as his eyes, which I guess signifies he's achieved the required Shonen Power Up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Horikoshi made it pretty clear that giving up the quirk ghosts is not the same as giving up the accumulated power. Even "quirkless" Deku would still be equivalent to year 1 Deku (see also All Might keeping a whole lot of power even after passing it on).

My impression, especially given the star and stripes cameo, is that Deku intends to have the quirk ghosts dive into Shiragaki's psyche, uncover what's being buried, empower it and defeat Shigaraki from inside and outside with the help of Tenko.

And probably destroy all the stolen quirks in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
An action is only considered reckless if the consequences aren't proportionate to the risk involved.
Right now pretty much nothing counts as reckless because there's an existential threat going on.