Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugou is either going to become a villain or be forced to accept the fact that maybe Deku is not worthless and that he might not actually automatically be better than everyone else in every way.

Or maybe he will go see a therapist to help him through his anger issues. That could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gary Oak never tried to blow up a man or two. Nor was he ever angry enough to be Bakugou.

In fact other than them both being naturally talented and also assholes I don't think they're that similar at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I honestly don't see Bakugou as evil in any way beyond the bullying he does to Midoriya. Even when he was saved from the sludge monster he felt obligated to thank him even if he didn't really want to. In the Uraraka and Todoroki fights he stopped immediately when the other person was knocked out, and only got weird at Todoroki because he denied him a good fight with his full power.

I wouldn't call him evil, I'd call him extremely prideful and high strung with that clashing with his sense of heroics.

What are you talking about? In the Todoroki fight he had to be put to sleep by Midnight before he seriously injured the dude because even though Todoroki was out Bakugou still wanted to kick his rear end for seemingly disrespecting him.

Also, what are Bakugou's sense of heroics. Because from the way I read him the only reason he wants to be a hero is because he knows he's the strongest and the smartest and the best, and thus the best suited to be a hero. Far more than anyone else. I honestly can't remember any time it's been shown that Bakugou actually is all that heroic, and I read the whole series only a few days ago.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 29, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not really? He was shaking Todoroki and yelling at him to get up but he wasn't actually hurting him. Midnight put him to sleep so they could separate them because Bakugou was having a breakdown. He also doesn't continue attacking Uraraka when she collapses - after the fight not only does he think she's strong but he tears into Midoriya at the possibility that he influenced the tactics that lead her to getting hurt in the fight. Eraserhead points it out that he respects his opponent enough to go full out without seriously harming them.

Outside of how he treats Midoriya and All-Might (and he even thanked him out of obligation despite hating him in the first chapter) he doesn't resort to violence outside of sanctioned fights, works hard at school and is actually really intelligent. He took his admissions so seriously he told his friend to put out his cigarette just in case it made him look bad. He's got a whole childhood worth of inflated pride and the teachers not intervening or helping him working against him though.

Of course he didn't keep attacking Uraraka. She treated the fight seriously and also wasn't Deku. If Todoroki had went at Bakugou going all out Bakugou wouldn't have freaked out, blew him out of the ring and then jumped on top of him ranting for him take the fight seriously. Also I don't think him not resorting to violence at the drop of a hat is a point towards him being a good person, because it is expected of most sane individuals to not violently attack someone for no reason. It's not really commendable, and although he doesn't attack Deku unless in competition he is incredibly mean to they guy and even trashes his stuff like his notebook in the first chapter.

Like, honestly Bakugou has quite a few admirable traits. Deku admires him for a reason. But I don't think any of those traits actually translate to him being a good person or a heroic individual. In the first omake Horikoshi describes as being despicable and rotten to the core, and from the way he's been portrayed he is kind of a goddamn awful person.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is a world where a dude who beats and rapes his wife until she got committed is the second most powerful/well regarded "hero" and that the vast majority of the other heroes are useless sods doing television commercials. Bakugou is a vast improvement even if he's a shitlord.

Being better than Endeavor is not an accomplishment. Endeavor is an awful dude, a terrible parent, and a wife beater. He should probably be in jail.

Also, that still doesn't mean Bakugou is a good person. Which is what I was talking about.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This particular test seems especially designed to immediately gently caress over Deku and Bakugou, though I have to imagine that's the point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think All-Might's the type of guy who would intentionally injure one of his students to teach them a lesson. I mean, this whole task does seem designed to give Bakugou a reality check. I just doubt his plan for it is to beat him up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Still unsure what half of his body weight is supposed to do to "weaken" loving All Might any.

It should theoretically slow him down and allow Bakugou and Deku an easier time of escaping.

Also since he is wearing 6 bands, it's presumably 3 times his bodyweight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TNG posted:

She can actually bend light as her quirk. She'll start shooting lasers and then I Can't Stop Sparkling will cry because he'll be redundant like the kid who can harden.

The kid who can harden came third in the tournament. :colbert:

Edit: Oh wait, actually that was bird guy. He made it to the top 8 though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 7, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TNG posted:

I'm not saying he has a bad power, it's just that it's basically the same as the guy in 1-B who can turn into iron. Maybe he'll learn how to harden selectively on his body, so he can make himself into living mail armor and be more flexible and agile than iron kid, who's name is literally Ironiron Ironiron.

Maybe the guy in 1-B is the redundant one since he was the one who lost. :smug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unsurprised with the top 3 and I was thinking Deku would win, but I was expecting Bakugou to do better than Todoroki. Most surprising to me though is All Might in the top 5. I didn't expect him to be that popular but he's cool so i'm glad. I'm also happy Uraraka is in the top 5 and that Tsuyu and Iida made the top 10 as well. A pretty good poll.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm saddened by Frog Girl's low placing and somewhat surprised at Tokoyami's popularity. Kendou is fairly high too, for a girl who barely received any attention (especially when you consider when the vote was made).

I don't remember who Kyouka is. Earphone girl?

Tsuyu is 6th. She's behind the 3 main dudes, the lead female, and the mentor. She's doing pretty well for herself.

Also yeah, I think Kyouka is earphone girl. I have no idea who Kendou is though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Kendou is the chick from Class B. The big sister type. She gave up her team's spot for Tetsutetsu's team and also worked alongside Yaoyo... what's her name during the hands-on experience.

Any spot less than 1 is not high enough for me!!!!

Oh ok. I can't remember her really doing much. I'm surprised she ranked that high.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugou is actually letting himself work together with Deku!?! :aaaaa:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zweihander01 posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but I really want to see All Might just completely dunk on the kids.

I want All Might to completely dunk on them until Bakugou does something actually heroic, like taking a hit for Deku or something, and then he lets them win because he's a big ol' softy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Iida should be higher. :colbert:

Also, I don't know who Mei or Mina are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Mei is the inventor girl and Mina is Pinky, the ant-looking one who secretes acid.

Oh. They're ok, i'm fine with their placement.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Todoroki is waay down. I mean, I like Todoroki, but it's nice seeing a confirmation of what all of us have been thinking for years.

I believe that Zuko is still cool.

TriffTshngo posted:

Todoroki is about as well realized a version of that character archetype as I've ever seen. So if he were more like Sasuke that would either put him 5 places lower. Or maybe higher, depending on how many english readers of MHA are people who realized Sasuke sucks rear end a decade+ ago versus how many are 14 year olds.

Despite being the darkest and I guess least emotional of the main cast I don't think Todoroki is really anything like Sasuke.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 12, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Actually, it's interesting; I don't think any villains made the top twenty in the Japanese list, while the US one has two of them there.

The Japanese poll was done before Stain was introduced I believe, and Shigaraki isn't really that interesting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Somebody in the shounen general chat (I think it was Fabricated) said Hero Academia's strength was team battles and I have to say I agree. Not that the one-on-one fights are bad, but thus far it's really been the group efforts that have stolen the show and really dominated center stage. Gives the series a nice sense of identity when so many of its peers are all about the one-on-one.

Anyway, good chapter. I'm glad they added the rub that Momo can only create objects she understands on a fundamental level. Also interesting that Aizawa apparently has a cooldown on his ability that he doesn't want anybody to know about (unless I'm reading things wrong).

Enough wondering about Mineta though, how did Anima pass the entrance exam?

He asked some friendly nearby bears to attack the robots for him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I found it kinda ridiculously saccharine myself. Everyone hooks up with everyone else and has kids and lives happily ever after, Ed and Al's dad animedies kneeling at his wife's grave, and Ed is wistful for about 3 seconds about not being magic anymore.

That's all really good though!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

The FMA manga has an amazing ending dummies

:yeah:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only real bad part of FMA's final arc is that until Wrath shows up the bad guys just kinda get mercilessly stomped by the good guys, and there's not too much tension. It's still really good despite that though, but it feels like something's missing until Bradley arrives.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see the matches of Iida and Hagakure's teams. Iida did just get an arc that focused on him so I guess he didn't need the screentime, but Ojiro had gotten some slight focus before and I wanted to see what he could pull off. The idea that the match was about removing the footing of the two heroes that probably relied on movement the most was pretty cool though. On the other hand Hagakure's challenge seemed especially in her favour, the invisible girl has to avoid detection and I suppose Shouji covers her. It doesn't really feel like it would be that difficult for them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

As for Ojiro and Hagakure, their contest was basically, as Deku said, hide and seek; Snipe obviously fights from a distance, so he'd be evading them and attacking from far away, while Ojiro uses his sharp senses to pinpoint his location and direct Hagakure so she can sneak in without being detected and capture him. Or out the door but I presume Snipe had a plan for keeping the invisible girl from just walking out.

Ojiro was with Iida. Hagakure was teamed with Shouji.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I think we're established enough now that after whatever this upcoming arc is I'd kinda like it if he slowed down a bit.

This series has been consistently great so far but it really, really badly needs a series-defining arc. It needs an Enies Lobby/Chuunin Exam/Soul Society level arc- the kind that let series that end up sucking coast seemingly forever on good will alone. This whole thing where maybe 2-3 main story beats max get covered and the rest get side-paneled doesn't cut it for that purpose.

Enies Lobby was how many years into One Piece's run? It's still got some time before it needs an absolutely game-changing arc. And if it continues to be so consistently good, I doubt it'll ever have to have one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad we're about to get more from Shigaraki because I want to like the guy, since him being the counterpart to Deku as One for All's succesor is pretty interesting but so far he's just kinda been a whiny loser who keeps getting owned. I hope he can build back some menace in the next few chapters

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really like how Shigaraki despises Deku and Stain for having ideals stemming from All Might and then it turns out his motivation is just as focused around All Might as theirs. It's interesting.

I'm glad I finally have a reason to like Shigaraki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speaking of those hero killer masks. It is hella hosed up that those are apparently being sold somewhere. You'd think there'd be huge protests or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Iida sure, but Stain was a serial killer yeah? Shouldn't the authorities be up in arms about this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Ojiro is super cool and I'm mad we never see him do anything.

I'm super mad we didn't get to seem him and Iida's teacher battle. Because they are both cool and I like them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Uraraka is going to live and be happy and continue to do cool things because she is cool and I like her.

The problem with the whole mole thing is how people bring it up over anything. Like, "Oh poo poo! Invisible Girl invited everyone to the mall. She must be the leak" or "Oh poo poo! Aoyama asked Uraraka if she liked Deku. He must be the leak." It's silly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Groups led by the same guy have attacked where the students have been twice already (with a third incoming) and Shigaraki showed up when they were all shopping in order to "chat" with Midoriya. There's no way it's a coincidence, so people are theorizing.

Shigaraki called their meeting "fate" and didnt seem to have planned it. Especially as he went out in order to calm down after throwing a random.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

no he definitely definitely ran into the guy who's the successor to the dude he really hates while he was cooling down from throwing one of his tantys utterly and completely on accident

I mean, yes? We see Shigaraki get pissed at the new kids for talking about Stain so he tries to kill them, he is stopped by Black Mist who tells him to calm down. He then basically tells Mist to gently caress off and leaves in a huff because he is a bratty child. In the same chapter we then have him running into Deku while talking about how this is his lucky day and instead of actually doing anything important he just decides to chat with him because he's got nothing better.

Coincidences happen, and if Shigaraki could so easily manipulate the crew into going where he wants them to I think he'd plan an attack or something, rather than just use it to talk about how much he hates heroes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

or maybe he was going to kill Deku, and thus ruin his"bosses" plans as a sort of "no, gently caress you dad!" and changed his mind after actually talking to the kid.

Then why didn't he? What did Deku say that made Shigaraki go "this guy gets to live".

Like you have to jump through so many hoops to say Shigaraki planned that out. What was his plan if Uraraka didn't remember Aoyama's comment about her crush and decide to run off and leave Deku alone. Would he have just decided to give up? Since you know, as soon as someone notices he's threatening Deku he leaves so as to not get caught. Did he somehow know that Deku would not be hanging with his friends? Does he have a psychic link with the mole who told him so? Because it doesn't really seem to make sense. Especially since the narrative gives a reason for him to be out for a walk anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

he brought up all-might, which reminded shigaraki that however much he hates the poo poo his boss is putting him through (stain, working with people) he hates all-might more than he hates that crap

"He reminded me of that guy I hate, guess he gets to live."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope Class B don't all get owned. :(

GodFish posted:

Looking forward to the Remedial Team saving the day.

I am hella psyched for this to happen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyges posted:

No one is coming, but someone is already there.

I too am waiting for Hagakure to step in and save the day.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jose posted:

dealing with the aftermath of the main character killing someone due to inexperience would be a bold new move for a shounen series. shame it won't happen

That'd be lame and I'm glad it's not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A good chapter but i'm a bit disappointed the story of the fight was that Deku goes over the limit of what he can do with one for all to defeat a superior opponent and kills his arms in the process, because I find it pretty similar to his whole fight with Todoroki which was Deku's last major one-on-one battle. It was still a cool fight and all but man I hope he stops shattering his arms soon, he needs those.