Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kanos posted:

I think it would be goofy and weird if the spirits of One For All showing up and saying "we'll help you" leads to Midoriya going out of control and doing something bad by accident. I'm thinking something occurs involving Monoma trying to copy his power or Shinso trying to mind control Deku leading to an accidental reveal of some part of the secret.

Actually Shinsou would be an interesting way to lead into stuff happening with the previous holders. The first time they show up involved Shinsou's mind control quirk after all.

It'd be a good thematic continuation for it to happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I always thought of the energy stuff as just a visual representation for us, the readers, to know when he's using o4a since it doesn't work like that for all might

As we're finding out it's possibly because All Might is really bad at using One for All, he's just naturally talented and heroic enough for it not to have ever mattered.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's always the possibility that all the other powers will end up just being more utility than outright combat use, not that they won't be powerful or dangerous but they'll end up primarily helping Deku do more of the punching kicking stuff without overshadowing it.

Basically he'll have a bunch of utility powers to help him make the most use of his raw strength.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 18, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, the Batman expert has logged on.

How entry-level a take is Batman's a fascist? Seriously though, my only real experience is Arkham games and Brave and the Bold.

Depends on which version but generally speaking Batman is not a Fascist. There is a short alternate reality comic about a dystopian future where The Bat is a Big Brother Future in charge of society which causes the Joker to be an anarchist trying to destroy the oppressive regime.

But, the Batman stories I like and remember best uses both Batman and Bruce Wayne as equal in trying to fight crime. Batman of course doing actual vigilante work whilst Bruce Wayne uses his money and company to improve the lives of the homeless and reformed criminals and so on and so forth.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, even if yes All Might has a bunch of merchandise he's been active for decades at this point and was so impressive he literally redefined society by his sheer presence. He's kind of on a pedestal no matter who you are, just look at how the All for One fight ended, literally everyone watching (besides villains) was wishing for All Might to win, to be the hero, to save the day.

All Might is everyone's hero, so Stain being kind of blinded by that and ignoring the bits that don't fit with the heroic ideal he places on All Might absolutely make sense, he ignores the bits that make heroes match the heroic ideal if he doesn't immediately see them. He's not so much arbitrary as extreme and as Izuku shows you can be a good enough hero for Stain to choose not to kill you, it just has to be his first opinion because he doesn't change his mind about "heroism" as far as I can tell. Which doesn't make him not an rear end in a top hat or a monster who happens to have a point, but it does mean he's at least consistent about his level of bullshit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Petiso posted:

I thought the entrance exam was different every year? Maybe Aizawa lucked out but others who could have done well against the robots failed the same exam and his comment during Shinso and Deku's match was in the general sense and not specifically about the exam Deku and the others took.

On one hand, in the real world heroes aren't necessary going to encounter problems well suited for their quirks, but on the other, I guess in those cases a pro hero would report the situation for a more appropiate one to take care of it so it's indeed unfair to deny enrollment for that reason.

No the sports festival is different every year, the exam is the same. Which makes sense, the Sports Festival isn't really a school based thing so much as a performative event, in comparison the Entrance Exam probably should be standardized just to work out where everyone starts in regards to heroing skills. The problem with the one they use now, which presumably was merely less fancy when Aizawa went to the school, is that it completely nullifies any quirk that isn't actually useful against robots or some vaguely defined notion of "saving" people which is judged by a panel of theoretically impartial judges.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kanos posted:

Also Momo explicitly talked about how she was taught to not abuse her creation quirk in ways that would gently caress with the status quo, which is directly and diametrically opposed to a philosophy of quirk liberation that seems to be baldy's raison d'etre.

What his father's raison d'etre was, we still aren't sure about him tbh.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

thetoughestbean posted:

Correct. I think it’s supposed to be a New Year’s Resolution or goal, though

You put one eye in when you make a promise to yourself and fill the other when you have completed the promise/goal, is the most basic way of saying it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

And disentigrating a chunk of Gigantomachia sounds like a great way to actually damage him if Shigi does have a size limit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's also honestly entirely possible that if Dabi is a Todoroki he's sandbagging hard because he's only a villain to poo poo on Endeavour, and otherwise still has "heroic" ideals.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mulderman posted:

I really wonder how the anime will tackle this part.

Triumphant You Say Run style music, for all the big moments of the League of Villains. But with a dark metal sound instead of the happy rock it usually is.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mulderman posted:

I kinda want this now.

I mean, Toga's thing back there was literally achieving something new and special and different at the very end of her hope so that she could win. It's basically begging for a triumphant musical sound as it happens.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

"You Can't Run" is AFO's theme, if I recall correctly.

It's one of them, and they've got a few names. I think it's the one when he first shows up off the top of my head?

Anyway All For One's stuff would be a good solid basis for League of Villains doing cool stuff music. Considering All Might v Noumu has You Say Run going full blast and that's basically become the hype music for the hero side.

There's also Shigaraki's actual theme, which might be more appropriate as a counterpart to You Say Run which could be considered Izuku's theme in a way.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 14, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think the League should use All For One's music unless it is heavily modified as they are very much new wave evil compared to his much more classical presentation.

Sure, but the trainee heroes still get to share music with All Might, even if that's meant to be a somewhat similar relationship. If more false from All for One. The Vangaurd Action Squad theme though is pretty rocking and would be fine as a theme for the League winning in general, given it's their first really successful action.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Scholtz posted:

I wonder what the shortest OfA career was

Gonna say it was probably actually the first one, who as far as we know just was a prisoner of All for One and then passed it on without really managing to do much hero work at all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

No, the original OfA user was AfO's brother.

AfO gave his brother, a power stockpiling quirk, which then combined with his brother's ability to pass on quirks to create OfA,.

Yeah, so like how the Todoroki Siblings all have some combination of their parent's Quirks All for One and the original One for All user were brothers with Quirks related to the transference of Quirks. Although now that I think about it Tenya and his older brother are a better example, as they have roughly the same quirk manifesting in different bodyparts.

The Power Stockpiling Quirk was also considered useless, probably because it takes forever to achieve superhuman capabilities, with only All Might and maybe Nana actually being able to use it as a superhuman boost.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dr Subterfuge posted:

All Might could intuitively control OfA from the start. (On the surface at last. Dude's a spiritual dumbass.) The whole business of using his power to protect himself form his own power just made sense to him. That, and it probably wasn't as hard to do that with one less person's worth of stockpiling behind it.

All Might is also naturally 7 feet or taller and actually did a ton of bodybuilding. His muscle form is what he actually physically attained from exercise and training, the lanky form is after 5 years of wasting away to his injury and worsening health. His explanation of being a balloon is actually pretty accurate, he uses One for All to undo the wasting away for a short time, literally faking his old body.

He was also a few years older and much taller when he received the quirk and had been working out for a long time to be a hero, whereas Izuku had less then a year to be even able to wield it in the dangerous form it is now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dabi himself is kind of a generically boring edge lord and the less interesting Tomura. It’s the stuff around him and his hearing on the greater world that make him interesting for now.

It, doesn’t help that he’s the least invested in the actual League and it’s goals.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Shigaraki is just as big of a tryhard edge lord has Dabi.

Which is exactly my point. We’re invested in Shigaraki but not Dani because of how the story treats them differently.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Dabi feels like he has taken too long to get a setup but we'll see if he can ever do anything with this fight. Framing him as the league's glass cannon would be fine enough IMO- since Endeavor said Dabi's flames were much more powerful than his. Dabi's thing becoming area denial and brute-force AOE attacks lets him do a lot of useful stuff in the story as far as bottling people into arenas and setting ticking timebombs (the area you're in burning to the ground).

The only thing with Dabi is that you know the only people Dabi can kill are people you're fine with drawing being horrifically burned to death, and that's not something you'd see happen to any of the kids and most of the main cast adults. Unless they just up his power to let you do the DBZ thing where people just vaporize in the blast.

As a character? We'll have to see how the Hawks thing and inevitable Todoroki reveal works. I guarantee we'll forget this conversation if he ends up killing Endeavor or something.

Yeah, I’m gonna agree that Dabi killing Endeavour is a petty high possibility of happening.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think this makes much sense in practice since inheriting quirks seems to be an all-or-nothing thing but the idea of only inheriting partial quirks is hilarious to me.

"My mom could talk to animals and my dad was a snake. Turns out they didn't mesh so now have I have fangs but no venom and I can only talk to reptiles."

I'm pretty sure partial quirk inheritance is why Tokoyami has a bird head. Which isn't considered (a functional/important) part of Dark Shadow but presumably one of his parents had a bird person quirk. Given what we've seen of the Todorokis (mixes of white and red hair) and what we know about Shouto (White and Red in equal amount) It's plausible that they've been getting various combinations of Fire and Ice that are not what Endeavour, who is an rear end, was looking for.

Add in Touya (Dabi?) having stronger fire but a body less suited for it and you get super burned up dude who hates heroes in general and Endeavour specifically for how Endeavour has been allowed to get away with abuse of his family for so long. Remember, even with Shouto and Endeavour having bodies more capable of handling heat the entire reason Endeavour wanted a child of equal fire and ice is that it would completely negate the danger of using his fire, which is that Endeavour likely burns himself if he goes too long or too hot. Much like how Shouto using only one side will eventually damage himself with that side's associated dangers (chilling/freezing, heating/burning).

All conjecture of course but I think different combinations of parental quirks are possible, and as Izuku shows you can get no quirks. Genetics are weird people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

deku was destroying buildings with nothing but air pressure even early on and he's recently been learning to use controlled air bursts as a ranged attack. all might was doing even crazier poo poo. there's no reason why deku would even need to be within striking distance of shigaraki to beat him

seems like horikoshi had this stuff planned for a long time but I don't see how deku would ever need an extra power to kick the league's collective face in

Because a big part of the setup so far is that Shigaraki and the League of Villains are going to free All for One at some point. With All for One potentially giving every quirk he has to Shigaraki, including All for One itself.

Also one of the themes of the story has been how All Might being a single pillar of peace and justice has kneecapped hero society with his retirement. So either Izuku needs to be an even better hero or his friends need to matter.

We’re still not sure where a lot of the overall story is going besides Izuku eventually being the number one hero. Plus Izuku vs Shigaraki ends up the same as Izuku vs Overhaul, a fight many people find kind of boring.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As far as I'm aware Alan Moore basically regrets Killing Joke because all the comics that are in it's style miss something that makes Killing Joke work better. Honestly as far as ideas go Joker being all about the one bad day that breaks someone is fine, and I wish people would do that instead of turning Joker into whatever loving crazy rear end in a top hat they need for the story to work.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Re-Destro's quirk is interesting because it's not just bighuge punchman. It's built into his characterisation impressively, he's constantly sedate and calm and calculating because all that stress is being stored for when he needs to actually throw down. It's literally the scene from Avengers but for a villain.

Also it's pretty consistent that the major villain leaders that the League meet are Shigaraki but less interesting, mostly because the whole point of these parts is to build up the League of Villains as worthy of being the most important villains.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I bet Shigaraki is going to save Machia from a Re-Destro beatdown and that's how they create their power of friendship. Through murder.

Nah, the maximum Irony is Re-Destro will successfully beat Gigantomachia and thus gain his loyalty, but the League will finally be able to beat Gigantomachia in return.

But I prefer your idea tbh.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Shigaraki's dad got abandoned by his hero mom so that may color his response to his son wanting to be a hero.

I thought Nana did it so young he wouldn’t even know his mom was a hero, just that he was abandoned.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Radish posted:

I understand I'm probably in the minority here but where this comic is losing me a bit is the severe disparity in graphic violence now than from the start. Like the first few years where I got really hooked had no indication I was going to be seeing a lovable pet dog trying to console its owner after he was abused by his father only to be horribly disintegrated and then that crying child butchering his family by accident and experience extreme horror and trauma next week. That was always implied (the shattered Shigaraki memory was early) but it's really the visuals that is off putting to me. Maybe they won't show it but the implication with this arc is that they are (with all the random mooks getting killed) or if the actual act isn't shown we will see the immediate results.

Yeah I'm feeling this as well. You still kind of see sparks of it but then there's the training class A vs B arc where they spend a volume almost killing each other for no reason other than to prove which class is best, even when they are in real danger.

Bakugau who has so real resilience power (other than withstanding his own explosions) was thrown through walls by All Might. People in the comic are just naturally more tough than in reality because it makes for cooler fights which I can understand.

I feel like the Class A vs B Arc was less about who is the best narratively, and more just a way to expand on the characters Horikoshi has but hasn't done much with. Whilst there is an underlying narrative of working to be the very best Hero, which given the characters is fine because that's what they want, the story isn't close to over and there's been plenty of signs that the broken nature of hero society is going to be looked at, it already is looked at in passing every time it comes up.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rhonne posted:

At this point, I think this arc is going to end with Shigaraki decaying the whole town in one go(while avoiding all his allies).

As an evolution of his personality and ideology I think this checks out. He’s gone from hating everyone to hating everyone who isn’t his friend/ally basically.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah if I have a read on the situation Nana left, fought All for One and lost. All for One spent years tracking down her family to spite her and her successor, All Might, who at the time was out of the country or just starting to fight the AfO organisation. After Shiggy does in his family All for One picks him up and poisons him against society, raising him and then a few years later All Might returns, wrecks AfO’s organisation and face, which Shigaraki presumably watches in horror as his mentor gets pasted.

Thus leading to modern Shigiraki’s initial fixation on All Might.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Viridiant posted:

What exactly would it mean to "save" or "redeem" Shigaraki anyway? What does that look like when it happens in the future, after he's killed however many more people?

Him willingly going to jail for his crimes, probably. It wouldn't be Shigaraki is and always was a good person, it will be Shigaraki recognising his idealogy was wrong, in much the same way Endeavour realised his actions towards his family were monstrous.

Basically if we get Izuku redeeming Shigaraki it will be along the lines of just because you have done all these horrible things doesn't mean you cannot change paths and do the right thing, in this case turning yourself in because you have in fact killed an absolute poo poo-ton of people.

Again, Redemption does not equal Forgiveness or Reformation, if you look at the original context it is a form of absolution and sublimation. Realisation that you have done wrong and submitting yourself to a higher judgement for your crimes is a form of redemption, one that generally ends with punishment but still.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

A huge part of Bakugo is that he would never be Endeavour, who gave up on beating All Might personally. Bakugo is directly inspired by All Might to be the greatest fighter alive pretty much, and he would never stop striving for that number 1 spot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Endeavor is still a lovely dude but he is written and presented in a distinct enough way that I think is not entirely explained from the different context of his recent arc.

I don’t really see this, Endeavour seems to be consistent to me. Insomuch as someone who realised he was a complete asshat can be consistent.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

That feels less like an inconsistency and more like your reading of Endeavour based on Shoto’s backstory as not being the whole picture. It is possible he kept trying for that perfect quirk child without it entirely being a genetic experiment.

As a more monstrous example of this idea Mad Max Fury Road has some stuff about Immortan Joe wanting a perfect son to be his successor and legacy, as his first and second sons are either incapable physically or mentally. But he still recognised them and treats them as his family, whilst being a monster with garbage ideas.

The important bit here is that Endeavour neglected the children who were not perfect, but he did not abandon or throw them away. If I remember they got to play whilst Shoto trained even. So he was an abusive awful monster, and that’s not changed, we just have some more info on the shape and nature of him and how that abuse played out from him.

As a sort of thought stream. Enji Todoroki convinces Rei’s parents to marry her to him, they have a marriage with little love and an explicit understanding of children/good traditional family. He has several kids, the first three prove to be not what he’s looking for. Touya burns hotter but has almost no resistance and the other two also seem to have bad combos, then Shoto is born and is perfect, Endeavour promptly neglects his other children, perhaps pushing Touya to do something foolish and burn himself, and this ultimately amounts to physical abuse instead of actual training. Rei watches him get worse and worse and more and more violent, and this leads to the thing with the Kettle.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 23, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like that Shigaraki seems to have a similar view on his past as Toga. As in he kinda looks at like "I'm not a result of some tragedy this is just who I am". It's obviously not quite the case but I like how stuff like this helps explain why the League get along despite being so different.

In fact, there’s a connection with Twice too. Shigiraki’s trauma was making him hold back with his powers, even if it’s a difference between consciously holding back like Twice and subconsciously doing so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Eraser is kind of a one-trick pony who basically is best in an ambush. I dunno if being a known quantity as a bodyguard for specific important people would capitalize on that rep much since planning for him pretty much completely eliminates his primary advantage.

Yeah there's also this, a huge part of what Eraserhead does involves being as low-key as possible about his actual heroics. Remember that Midoriya had to take a while to remember who he was, when basically every other hero is an immediate essay of knowledge.

Being a teacher means his herowork can remain low paying and in the shadows, to the point where he actually dislikes the level of popularity/showbiz stylisation All Might had at the start.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Momo also shows very little confidence in her abilities outside her Quirk. So when someone gets around her initial object or plan she routinely shows a tendency to panic and give up.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Of course shortly after I comment on Momo lacking confidence we get that panel, not that it's necessarily meant to be accurate to their capabilities, just their ability to talk to the media. Which Momo being good at would honestly check out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Fowl posted:

It could be a bit of both!

I thought we’d seen young recovery girl alongside young Gran Torino and they were both similar to Nana in height but maybe I’m making that up.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Junpei posted:

I can think of dozens of neat ways for him to use his Quirk-using his ice to create melee weapons if he's stuck in a close-quarters situation, creating ice platforms under his feat to leap into the air, using fire to enhance his physical combat by adding flames to his strikes, creating a cage of fire or ice to prevent a foe from fleeing, and I'm sure there's more I can think of.

I think it may be intentional writing on Horikoshi's part that Shouto's first response to a combat situation is "Can I throw a massive wave of fire or ice at it?".

It absolutely is intentional that most of the heroes in training respond with either punching or overwhelming force when the most famous and popular hero ever used both and nothing else to do just about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't know if that's the intended reading, but it's my reading now.

Considering AfO is actually flat out listing all the quirks he’s using to make the most powerful punch ever, and it is a rather different way of fighting then he showed against All Might previously or against Best Jeanist I think it’s intended.

AfO goes for the super punch when he thinks he’s already won and All Might has no way to answer, and is then surprised when All Might pulls out United States at the last second instead of dying. Basically he wasn’t intending to outpunch All Might, he was just trying to humiliate him in his dying moments.