Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Oh hey, the protagonist ISN'T completely useless right off in a combat situation like any other manga would have them be?

Well, he did spend a year or whatever training really hard, so his base strength/stamina should be higher than most of the other students'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fire/Ice dude's power seems to completely upstage Bakugou's (and pretty much everyone else's, god drat), and it seems like Bakugou realizes it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have a feeling that Bakugou is going to "come around" fairly early into the manga. He's already showing signs of becoming less of a dick, and once they start to encounter actual "villains" and dangerous situations he'll probably end up more or less friendly with the main character.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This comic seems like it runs into the "guns would be an effective countermeasure against most heroes" problem. Not many characters seem to have powers that would let them either avoid bullets or be invulnerable against them. Not that it really bothers me much; I'm just using the fact that they're in Japan as an excuse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But while that would be a cool power it would probably be way too powerful.

Hot/Cold guy seems pretty powerful in a similar way. What's to keep him from just freezing everything in sight? It doesn't seem like he actually needs to touch things to freeze them. I guess something with a specific ability like being able to generate fire/heat could counter it, but most people would be poo poo out of luck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I went ahead and read chapters 19-21 and they were pretty great. I wonder how they're going to handle Midoriya transitioning to becoming more powerful; it seems like the instant he learns to control his power is also the instant he becomes stronger/more capable than the vast majority of characters in the comic's world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Midoriya should do boxing or something in the sports festival and just accept the inevitable casualties as he learns to control his quirk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I look forward to the video games based on this series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't really think of any way for Midoriya to not do terribly unless he learns to control his ability. So that should happen soon at least.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure how Deku managed to even stay as close as he did from the rest of the crowd. It seems like someone like Iida or Bakugou (who basically literally have combustion engines to work with) would be way ahead.

To be fair, I can see him doing better than many of the other heroes simply by virtue of being in better shape than most of them from his training, but it still seems like the ones with quirks that directly translate to "being really fast" would be way ahead of the others.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That was really cool, though I imagine he's going to be pretty hosed in this next competition.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel bad for Iida; this competition was almost tailor-made for him. If his power isn't good enough to avoid the robots at the beginning of the race, it doesn't seem to be that useful in general. I also don't see why he couldn't use his leg engines to make big jumps to deal with stuff like the tight rope section.

edit: Deku should start the next match off by sacrificing one of his fingers to make a giant explosion and intimidate a bunch of the other competitors as a result.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Basically, you want Izuku to make it through without getting his bandana taken

I imagine this is how it's going to play out, because the 10 million points seems like a ridiculous figure that would more or less mean winning the tournament, so the easiest option is to have no one getting it in the first place.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Did they reveal the power of the Class B dude who went around stealing from a bunch of people?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing that whatever he's doing isn't going to work and he won't get the headband back. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm just not feeling like it's going to happen.

edit: Maybe he'll unintentionally kill Todoroki by caving in his skull.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tlarn posted:

Man, thinking about it, Copy's a huge double-edged sword in this setting. Many quirks have pretty big limitations or drawbacks that the users themselves are familiar with, but someone with Copy may not know them instinctively. Sure, some quirks are pretty straightforward in their use, or simply toggle between on and off, but something like Deku's quirk could kill him if he doesn't know that you can't push it. :stare:

Is Copy guy also the guy who was going around stealing everyone's stuff without them knowing?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yup.
Look at his smug face, he cant not be.

I wonder how his quirk allowed him to steal from people without them noticing. It's certainly an extremely powerful quirk (even if you acknowledge its downsides it still allows him to put up a good fight against almost anyone, especially if he's in a team with other heroes who he can borrow from freely), but I'm not making the connection between it and people mysteriously losing their headbands without noticing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honestly, I'm a little confused as to why everyone in the comic acts like Bakugou's power is particularly useful. I mean, it's kind of useful in terms of mobility, but it has virtually zero offensive utility in the context of being a hero (since you don't want to maim people/blow their faces off). Even ignoring that, it still seems like a bunch of the other quirks we've seen are way more useful (like the guy who can harden his skin for instance; he's presumably immune to bullets, which instantly puts him above most of the other heroes). Ice/Fire guy is obviously way more powerful, and I wouldn't be surprised if shadow bird guy is also better in a fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Haven't heard of Flame of Recca before, might check that out. I have seen Yu Yu Hakusho though and the tournament arc in that is easily the worst part of the whole series.

Maybe Dexo watched Flame of Recca a long time ago and/or when he was much younger or something, because I consider Flame of Recca pretty much the most generic shounen imaginable (and pretty bad as a result). Like, I could not conceive of a more generic example of the genre than that manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ If that's the case, why is he forced to transform back when he runs out of his One for All power? It seems like his muscular form is pretty clearly tied with his use of One for All.

I have absolutely no clue how this next fight is going to work. So far we've only seen Midoriya use his power once without destroying himself, and that was just to cause some wind to push Todoroki's arm out of the way. I can't think of how he's going to prevent Todoroki from just encasing him in ice like in Todoroki's first match. If he uses his power to bust out of the ice and it destroys him like we've seen in the past, that means the fight's over (which I doubt will happen), but if he uses it to bust out and is still okay it will basically mean that Midoriya is suddenly a huge badass.

I'm guessing he'll use his super strength/speed in some unique/gimmicky sort of way that causes a problem for Todoroki. I doubt that he'll suddenly be able to freely use the power in this next fight, but it seems like he has to at least partially overcome it in order to have a fight at all.

edit: If I had to guess, I think Midoriya will probably lose. Can't explain exactly why, but it just doesn't seem like it's where the narrative is headed.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 8, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: ^^^ Or he could win because of Todoroki not using his powers I guess; I just got the feeling that he wasn't going to let Todoroki win without using all his powers, so it wouldn't be inconsistent if Todoroki manages to win after using all of his ability. The main reason I can't see Deku winning is that he just doesn't have much ammunition left. He's already double-spent one hand and I think he's used his other hand and/or arm as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Deku isn't winning this. He's probably going to just succeed in forcing Todoroki to use his fire ability.

Given that he's apparently more than willing to injure himself in this fight, I'm wondering why Deku didn't sacrifice a leg just to more or less instantly close the distance between him and Todoroki.

edi2: The one reason why I wouldn't be that satisfied with Deku losing here is that he hasn't really shown off that much for the audience/"hero world." Sure, he's shown a lot of power, but he's also crippled himself in the process nearly every time and the audience isn't privy to the information that it's possible for him to exert such power without crippling himself. While I can't really see it happening, it seems like he would need to show the ability to use his All-Might-ish power without sacrificing himself in the process to really leave a big impression on the hero community.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unless Todoroki fucks up while trying to use his fire power (like someone mentioned), I'm having trouble figuring out how Deku can win. It's a shame he gave up his chance with that one controlled punch of his*, but I guess it was necessary to help Todoroki out with his issues. I am happy he got to successfully use the controlled version of his power again and I hope he starts to do that more often. At the very least he now seems to have the power to punch people super hard without hurting himself.

I like the fact that Deku isn't coming off as too much of an underdog (like most shounen leads tend to, at least earlier in their series). While he is one in this specific fight, that's only because he's fighting arguably the strongest guy in the entire tournament. I have to imagine that, despite him injuring himself in the process, other people are going to be pretty scared of the guy who can cause an explosion with the flick of his finger. Usually it takes longer in shounen for the series lead to become "one of the tougher lead characters", but he's kind of already set himself up as one of the strongest guys in his class, particularly after this fight (whether he wins or loses).

I wonder how he would do in a fight against Bakugou right now (ignoring this current injuries). I can't help but think that he would kick Bakugou's rear end pretty hard if he was willing to sacrifice his fingers/arms in the fight. What exactly is Bakugou going to do against Deku just exploding him away when he tries to get close? Deku's "explosions" are significantly bigger than Bakugou's (possibly excepting that one gently caress-off explosion Bakugou fired out of his costume in that class exercise).

*Though given the fact that it knocked Todoroki back like 20 feet, in reality I'm pretty sure it would have severely injured/killed someone (and Todoroki is presumably just a regular human other than his ice/fire powers).

edit: As a side note, I was just thinking about how Deku, once he can fully control his power, should be able to run faster than Iida. That's gotta suck for Iida.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm happy with the way things went. This was probably one of the most believable possible results, just given all the information we know and the series' own internal rules. Like I said before, I couldn't really think of a way to Deku to win that wouldn't feel contrived, and I also feel like this fits the narrative better; it would have been awkward for Todoroki to have this big breakthrough and then just lose immediately afterwards regardless.

The only thing I was a little disappointed about is that I wanted to see more of Bakugou's reaction to the whole fight. Isn't this the first time he's really seen Deku go crazy with his power? Up until now he's only seen Deku use his ability in single isolated incidents and I don't think he's ever seen him use it without injuring himself (like he did when punching Todoroki in the stomach). He's gotta be thinking "holy poo poo, I don't know if I could even deal with that."

It sucks that there won't be anymore for a couple weeks now. :(

As a side note, the author is really good at drawing people that are suffering. Deku genuinely looks like he is in a world of pain, rather than the lame gritting teeth thing that you usually see in shounen manga.

Fabricated posted:

Quick translation of recovery girl letting All Might have it over this fight includes the phrase, "This isn't going to heal back into a normal hand."

Like another poster mentioned, I'm 99% sure they just meant "if I use my healing powers on it it won't heal back properly, so it's necessary that we do surgery first."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chumbler posted:

I think most people dislike time skips because they're almost always poorly executed, and the few times they aren't they're basically just a new series.

While they're almost always poorly executed in shounen manga, I don't think the concept is inherently bad. I mean, how else are you supposed to tell a story that takes place over more than a couple years?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Midoriya being really strong/fit, one thing that always seemed kind of odd to me was how he placed last in Eraserhead's tests during their first class. It seems like he would have been at least on par with the other students, particularly considering that he did use his quirk to excel in one of the events. At the very least, it certainly makes no sense for him to have placed below grape boy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm genuinely curious to figure out how Deku learns to cope with the fact that using his power how he has been is unacceptable in the future. He seems capable of controlling his power when he's using it directly against people (like when he punched Todoroki or slapped his hand away), but he needs to be able to control it in other situations so he can also harness One for All's speed.

Once he gets some control over his powers, the only student who I could see remaining a challenge for him is Todoroki; One for All's speed and strength certainly surpasses what Bakugou is able to get from utilizing his explosions. It's not exactly possible for the more hand-to-hand fighting students to train to deal with All Might-level speed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, almost all those names were terrible. Creatie and Froppi in particular.

I wonder what the Sugar Man guy's quirk is (something taste-related it said?) and how in the world he got into Yuuei with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how Mina's abilities would be useful in the hero-ing business. Directly acid-ing people would just maim them. I guess you could limit their mobility by surrounding them with it or something? Still seems a little too potentially violent; either they're getting touched by her acid and being maimed or nothing at all.

In comparison, Mineta's grape ability could actually be extremely useful; being able to stick people in place (or even just throw the balls onto them and hope they brush up against a wall or something) would be super useful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I wonder how this society with like 90%+ of everyone being mutants handles people with passively dangerous powers. Like, someone who emits ionizing radiation unwillingly or something. The government pay for a suit and living arrangements then?

It seems like the government makes a ridiculous amount of effort in general to accommodate everyone; Horikoshi even made a term "inclusive design" for it. That's why the school has rooms with high ceilings and huge doors.

I wonder if right wing otaku in Japan complain about this series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey if your going to go percentages at least use the one actually given in the series. 80% of the human race are mutants.

I think this is due to older generations having a lower percentage of kids with quirks, though. I think Deku's generation is like ~99% or something, judging from the fact that he seems to be literally the only kid in his entire school with no quirk and his parents were confused about him not having a quirk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like this development. It's a really logical problem with his past use of One for All, though I hadn't thought of it myself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tsob posted:

I find it more interesting that Stain has no interesting in working with someone who's just killing for it's own sake, and more than anything that there's someone trying to guide Shigaraki's growth in the same way All Might and now Torino (among others) are guiding Dekus. Also, Deku's new costume is nice, but seems a little generic. I want to see what he looks like with the mask and face plate up with it though.

The fact the face plate reminds me of Nuomo's huge teeth is a little odd too.

I have a strong feeling that this organization of bad guys is going to be portrayed in a sympathetic light, at least to some extent. It's pretty clear that they're not just evil for the sake of being evil (at least at the upper rungs) and that they have some ideological problem with heroes.

Maybe it will turn out that the world of My Hero Academia treats criminals horribly and that the heroes, by extremely efficiently catching said criminals, are helping to enforce an unjust system (and that, as a result, their violence isn't really any more justified than that of criminals). (I doubt this will actually end up being the case, but it would be interesting if it did.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm hype for Midoriya being a badass once he gets this figured out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet Midoriya's tutor could beat up all his classmates' tutors.

edit: One thing I've found kind of strange about what was revealed in this chapter is that, given that All Might apparently had an easy time adapting to One for All, I'm wondering why he wasn't more confused and concerned about Midoriya repeatedly grievously harming himself. He apparently didn't go through the same thing, or at least to nearly the same degree, so it seems strange than he wasn't more like "whoa wait a second what in the gently caress is going on, I don't remember maiming myself multiple times while learning to use One for All."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really curious about how Iida is going to get out of his coming confrontation with Stain without some sort of terrible injuries. No one else should know what he's doing, so I doubt he'll receive any help (and there's no way he'll actually win). The only thing I can think of is what other posters have said about Stain sparing Iida for some reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This chapter wasn't exactly bad, but it was really boring; I don't think anything new happened. I want to watch Midoriya do a real fight with his new-found abilities. It was also kind of hard to get a feel for how fast/strong 5% of One for All is making him in this chapter. Since he grazed Gran Torino I'm guessing that he was actually moving a lot faster than it looked like he was moving.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

While Iida probably won't die, I actually wonder whether or not this is the end of his career in heroics. Although healing quirks exist, there seems to be a damage ceiling and/or time frame past which they lose effectiveness, so Idia could conceivably be out a working arm. Alternatively, he could get expelled for vigilantism.

Nah, I think he'll be fine. Getting a sword through the arm isn't nearly as bad as shattering all your bones/muscles like Midoriya has done (multiple times). I also doubt that the author will kill off one of the core characters so early. Stain will probably either run off after fighting Midoriya or another hero will show up to help beat him/chase him off (even though it would be cool if Midoriya beat him, I don't see that happening).

This chapter was okay, though the way Stain beat Iida was a little confusing. I think he just jumped up and kicked his arm and stomped his head all in one motion before landing and stabbing him with the sword, but the first frame after he jumps seems to show up him in a more "horizontal" position with his head already behind Iida's body where it would be very awkward to then kick him like he does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Am I the only one who deeply wants there to be a complementary quirk called All For One?

The power of one person spread out across many generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

All Might said at some point that he was only capable of using about 5% of One for All's full extent of power at his current level.

This may have meant that his body was only capable of safely handling 5%.