Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Suddenly there's some magical bitch shooting magical lasers at me and I'm like what the gently caress????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
considering playing this game. would you recommend i play it on the computer, or did hte laser girl ruin it completely

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

THE PENETRATOR posted:

considering playing this game. would you recommend i play it on the computer, or did hte laser girl ruin it completely

No it's very much an excellent game so far. I think I'm about half way through.

I just liked the idea of "woo 1930s, WWII oh boy" and then... they toss in some magic. I thought they were doing ok with their themes, but now it feels like all of a sudden whoooah man MAGIC. It's like they feel like they can't get across their point without going back to the most boringest JRPG plots ever.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Most things from Japan come with a catch.If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I remember it being good, haven't played it in a long time though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hint: the magic is a metaphor for nukes

hope this helps op

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
No way!! :eyepop:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Endorph posted:

hint: the magic is a metaphor for nukes

hope this helps op
A+ Braid joke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

A+ Braid joke.
if it braid the magic would be a metaphor for nukes which is a metaphor for my wife leaving me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bobby The Rookie posted:

A+ Braid joke.

it's pretty much true though

much as I love VC its themes are pretty loving blunt

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

op that's like the hardest chapter in the game iirc so if you get through that you're golden

Dec 26, 2012

knew this was gonna be about that chapter before opening the thread

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Suddenly there's some magical bitch shooting magical lasers at me and I'm like what the gently caress????

If only they mentioned this in the title or something. loving normie.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ciaphas posted:

it's pretty much true though

much as I love VC its themes are pretty loving blunt

anime blunt, water wet, valkyria chronicles good

more at 11

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

11 now you fucknut where's my more

Dec 26, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

If only they mentioned this in the title or something. loving normie.

lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ciaphas posted:

11 now you fucknut where's my more

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
How long is good anime strategy game

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

20-25 hours for the main game maybe? then there's a decent amount of DLC bonus stuff to do (which comes free with the pc version)

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
good length don't have 70 hours for anime

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The themes are very blunt and I'd be ok with that it's just I was hoping for a more personal story about the horrors of war. It seemed like that's where it was going maybe considering the main characters and how it started, but now it's THE FATE OF THE WOOOOOORLD

Also I'm gonna say that the way they do the cut scenes and poo poo is very bad imo. The book idea is cool but having to click on every new cut scene thing is like ugh

Dec 26, 2012

its fine you giant baby

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

01011001 posted:

knew this was gonna be about that chapter before opening the thread

same lol

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

its like the Panzerkleins in Silent Storm except much earlier in the game

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do I ever get more tanks or more than nine people at once.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

two tanks, no

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also I'm gonna say that the way they do the cut scenes and poo poo is very bad imo. The book idea is cool but having to click on every new cut scene thing is like ugh

they make you do that so they can cut down on loading screens between each bit of the cutscene, p sure valkyria came out before ps3 hard drive installs were a thing

also their "some of the cutscenes are optional" thing doesn't work as well if you aren't picking ALL cutscenes from a menu

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've spent 21 of the last 48 hours playing this game and when I stopped just now and was clicking on the internet I was getting anxious about whether I had enough command points to click on this before the mortar dropped on my head.

Dec 26, 2012

speaking of mortars not having tank controls on, well, the tank throws me off

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't even know what tank controls is but yes the tanks can be really awkward to drive and I have to basically relearn it every mission cause I'm like wtf is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SHISHKABOB posted:

I would not be surprised that there would be Valkyries in "Valkyria Chronicles".

• Locked thread