Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Fangz posted:

I think Morrigan talks about killing Templars hunting for them with her mother in DAO, so her hatred of the Circles isn't without any basis. She does e.g. speak up for Jowan.

Flemeth can still be complicated and dangerous without being evil. There's not actually that many 'evil' characters in DA. The revelation that possession by Flemeth is voluntary is pretty consistent with our changed understanding of spirits and so on after DAO.
maybe so. but at least thematically a (demi)god should be unpredictable and frightening and unconcerned with the everyday ambit of social morality. they shouldn't be your friendly pals who help you out with the occasional plot magic. that's what gods historically were in human culture--they were people's best explanation for what was terrifying and inexplicable and elementary about the universe. whatever though. they'll probably just forget about flemeth and it'll all be academic.

Zane fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zane posted:

maybe so. but at least thematically a (demi)god should be unpredictable and frightening and unconcerned with the everyday ambit of social morality. they shouldn't be your friendly pals who help you out with the occasional plot magic. that's what gods historically were in human culture--they were people's best explanation for what was terrifying and inexplicable and elementary about the universe. whatever though. they'll probably just forget about flemeth and it'll all be academic.

Well, ultimately I think DA adopts the perspective that Spirits/Evanuris are basically people. The idea of these gods as conceptions of terrifying and elementary is flat out incorrect.

Oh dear me posted:

This would not make a decent person think that the mages imprisoned by the Templars deserve to be slaughtered. They didn't have the luck to be protected and trained from childhood by a powerful witch, so kill them all? Morrigan is all FYGM and power worship.

My read of Morrigan isn't that she wants to kill the mages in the broken circle for the evulz. It's that from her POV, well, this is exactly what the Mages of the Circle signed on for. They chose to reside with the Rite of Annulment hanging over their heads, and if the Templars want to invoke it this was an entirely predictable consequence of their own cowardice and complicity in the system. Why should she interfere, especially when e.g. Wynne would attack her in this quest if she learned she was an apostate and has the temerity to lecture that Circles aren't All That Bad?

I think that Morrigan as of DAO is *not nice*. She's fundamentally petty and immature. But she isn't like a Sith Lord or something.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 7, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zane posted:

I'm not sure we've heard the last of Flemeth. And I'm not sure how benevolent she is ultimately either since her goals likely align with Solas'. Also in that epilogue scene it looks like she is sending something through the Eluvian. I assume that was part of her essence or whatever so I don't think she's totally gone.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Fangz posted:

Well, ultimately I think DA adopts the perspective that Spirits/Evanuris are basically people. The idea of these gods as conceptions of terrifying and elementary is flat out incorrect.
they have godlike powers though -- powers that would take you beyond the ambit of ordinary human existence (effective immortality for example). that is what most pagan gods essentially were. the writers might be playing around with the intellectual-religious-historical distinction between earlier personified pagan gods (evanuris) and later abstracted Abrahamic gods (the maker).

gods never existed irl for that matter. gods in genre fantasy literature are ultimately just complicated references to the cultural psychology of pre-modern existence. but w/e I am spinning my wheels at this point!!

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 7, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fangz posted:

their own cowardice and complicity in the system. Why should she interfere

They have been imprisoned from childhood by an army, and can easily be tracked and killed if they escape. For Morrigan with her powerful protector to scorn them and call them cowards is petty and immature, if you like. But saying "let them all die" is worse than that. She should interfere out of basic human decency. (As well as prudence, since we're on a quest to get their support, dammit.) And Wynne does not attack because Morrigan is an apostate - she'll happily work alongside Morrigan if you insist on saving the mages. She'll only fight if you agree with Morrigan's let-them-die policy.

If the word evil makes you think of Star wars by all means let's call it badness instead, but it's not immaturity. Lots of young people have compassion. Lots of old people don't.

E:

Ginette Reno posted:

her goals likely align with Solas'. Also in that epilogue scene it looks like she is sending something through the Eluvian. I assume that was part of her essence or whatever so I don't think she's totally gone.

That's certainly how it looked, but for that very reason I don't think she will be entirely on Solas's side. The next thing she says is "I knew you would come", and to me it seems she has taken precautions. I hope so anyway.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 7, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oh dear me posted:

They have been imprisoned from childhood by an army, and can easily be tracked and killed if they escape. For Morrigan with her powerful protector to scorn them and call them cowards is petty and immature, if you like. But saying "let them all die" is worse than that. She should interfere out of basic human decency. (As well as prudence, since we're on a quest to get their support, dammit.) And Wynne does not attack because Morrigan is an apostate - she'll happily work alongside Morrigan if you insist on saving the mages. She'll only fight if you agree with Morrigan's let-them-die policy.

If the word evil makes you think of Star wars by all means let's call it badness instead, but it's not immaturity. Lots of young people have compassion. Lots of old people don't.

Morrigan is the "I'm a Libertarian" of Dragon Age. She's grown up in a place where she's been allowed to express herself as a mage and believes that anyone can do that and that the people not doing it are just weak and poo poo.
I wouldn't call her Evil. Just wrong.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

E:

That's certainly how it looked, but for that very reason I don't think she will be entirely on Solas's side. The next thing she says is "I knew you would come", and to me it seems she has taken precautions. I hope so anyway.

If you're right my guess would be that She actually opposes the Evanuris being freed, or even wants to destroy them outright. They did betray her after all, and in her conversation with Morrigan she talks about having scratched and clawed her way through the ages for revenge. Not sure what revenge she could have since Solas already hosed the Evanuris over. I suppose destroying them once and for all could her be plan, but I dunno. The way Solas describes them it sounds like actually killing one is extremely difficult.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm still reserving judgement on Solas's plan.

Oh dear me posted:

I don't actually agree with Morrigan, but like, the Mages in the Circle signed on to this whole "we'll all be killed if anything bad happens" contract, then they *still* chose to gently caress around with demons and blood magic in their petty political games, and now they want apostates to bail them out? Morrigan's highest approval output out of that quest is to save the Circle, then recommend the Templars investigate more deeply what happened there. Wynne gets approval for just burying what happened which is pretty hypocritical.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 7, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Fangz posted:

I'm still reserving judgement on Solas's plan.

I guess it boils down to how knifey your ears are.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FunkMonkey posted:

I guess it boils down to how knifey your ears are.

Not even really that because he treats modern elves with disdain. And I doubt the rest of the Evanuris would be any kinder based on what we've learned of them. Most likely modern elves are just as hosed as anybody else if he succeeds in his plans.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, like I'm assuming Bioware is being ridiculously vague for a reason, and the reason might well be that his plan = "well, you are actually all totally hosed because the Blight is undefeatable, so I'm going to travel back in time and make none of this happen", in which case Solas might be basically objectively correct.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ginette Reno posted:

Not even really that because he treats modern elves with disdain. And I doubt the rest of the Evanuris would be any kinder based on what we've learned of them. Most likely modern elves are just as hosed as anybody else if he succeeds in his plans.
He pointedly talks about saving "his people" and earlier in the game also pointedly says that the Dalish are not his people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Solas is a fuckboy who wants to Make Arlathan Great Again.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fangz posted:

the Mages in the Circle signed on to this whole "we'll all be killed if anything bad happens" contract, then they *still* chose to gently caress around with demons and blood magic in their petty political games, and now they want apostates to bail them out?

They did not sign on, there was no contract; they were imprisoned by an army.

They also did not all choose to gently caress around with demons and blood magic (though doing so is more understandable when you're imprisoned for life); and mages are not to blame for what other mages do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Solas is a fuckboy who wants to Make Arlathan Great Again.

Vote Arishok Sten for a better tomorrow.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Oh dear me posted:

E:

Wynne straight up calls Morrigan out on her hypocrisy of her Fantasy Libertarian ideology by saying exactly that. She's very wrong in part because of Flemeth's teachings, but mostly because she's got an inflated opinion of herself thanks to being so sheltered.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno what happened to the Mass Effect thread but on this N7 Day Bioware released the Mass Effect Archies

So if they ever get around to making a Mass Effect game you now have a save importer

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I've recently mounted a 4k TV by my computer and have been trying games out with a controller and I tried DA:I and it feel so much better with a controller. Finally passed the 1st initial starting area :V Anyways, the point of this is that I also got my friend to try out multiplayer and while it's fun with us 2, was wondering if there were also any DA:I multiplayer (PC) new people that wanted to play this Sunday or whenever. My friend is around level 7ish and I have multiple characters with the highest being level 12 or so.

Let me know if you wanted to play some on Sunday, or hop in the generic SA discord and we can chat and set up a time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Replaying for the first time, beat it once before the DLC came out and let me just say.

Whoever designed Terror Demons is a real piece of poo poo.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Replaying for the first time, beat it once before the DLC came out and let me just say.

Whoever designed Terror Demons is a real piece of poo poo.

Design as in looks or gameplay? Because by looks alone I think Envy is a lot worse.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Design as in looks or gameplay? Because by looks alone I think Envy is a lot worse.

Envy is basically just that bug in Bethesda games where things go all stretchy

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SgtSteel91 posted:

I dunno what happened to the Mass Effect thread but on this N7 Day Bioware released the Mass Effect Archies

So if they ever get around to making a Mass Effect game you now have a save importer

And here I was hoping you meant an Archie Comics crossover. Wouldn't be the strangest thing they've done!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm in for Mass Effect 4 if it opens with the protracted, incontestable death of every major character from Andromeda as well as every last Quarian in the universe.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On further replay impressions, I forgot Mother Giselle's musical scene. Goddamn in a history of incredibly cringe worthy moments this might be the worst Bioware has done. Other than her and the terror demons this is actually way better than I remember though, is it just better on Nightmare or did patches make the game smoother since release?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Gameplay. Teleporting AOE stuns are just obnoxious.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

On further replay impressions, I forgot Mother Giselle's musical scene. Goddamn in a history of incredibly cringe worthy moments this might be the worst Bioware has done.
Awkward confession time: I liked the Dawn Will Come scene. It's very obvious about trying to tug at your heart strings. But unlike for example the kid from Mass Effect 3, there's a build up to it. It just worked for me. :shrug:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It's way better than Leliana's weird camp song from Origins.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Chargers song is worse than either by a country mile. All of them get muted or skipped, though

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Awkward confession time: I liked the Dawn Will Come scene. It's very obvious about trying to tug at your heart strings. But unlike for example the kid from Mass Effect 3, there's a build up to it. It just worked for me. :shrug:

The obvious answer is that Priscilla scene from the Witcher 3 floors inquisiton Sing-along and Lelianas song in Origins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSRX8qN5Uy0

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I laughed pretty hard the first time during both the song scenes because my first character in these games usually looks ridiculous. My mage warden had a dumb mustache and the camera kept zooming in on him looking all solemn during that scene. And then for Inquisition I was a big dumb looking Qunari with the British Male voice and it was funny watching a bunch of people sing and bow to him.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The Mother Giselle song is pretty much Pippin’s song from LOTR, so you can’t hate it too much. It’s a decent song, although the performance / cutscene could’ve definitely been improved a lot.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Smol posted:

pretty much Pippin’s song from LOTR, so you can’t hate it too much.

Watch me. :colbert:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Smol posted:

The Mother Giselle song is pretty much Pippin’s song from LOTR, so you can’t hate it too much. It’s a decent song, although the performance / cutscene could’ve definitely been improved a lot.

That's exactly a reason to hate it though, being too on the nose adds to the embarrassment.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can hate it because it's an unskippable cutscene and so I will.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Yea, I really enjoyed it. It captured the feeling of "Oh poo poo everything is ruined but we're still here" well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like cheesy nonsense moments in RPGs and wish there are more of them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s not a bad scene per se, but

Shugojin posted:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shugojin posted:

The solution is always playing things in a window. DA:I carries on going when you're tabbed out.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Posts for the post throne.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One more sacrifice post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012