Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Release Dates
NA: November 18th
EU: November 26th
UK: November 28th
JP: December 4th

Preorder Bonuses
Pre-order from just about anywhere to receive a free Sackboy plush, plus the Day 1 Edition of the game, which includes a Dragon Age: Inquisition costume pack.
In addition, other bonuses from specific retailers:
Pre-order from Target to get a Sackboy plush, plus another wearing a Target hat. Woop!
Pre-order from Gamestop to get the Mythical Creatures costume pack.
Pre-order from Best Buy to get the Hidden Creatures costume pack.
Pre-order from Amazon to get the Playstation All-Stars costume pack.
Pre-order from the Playstation Store to get the LBP3 T-Shirt pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCDdrMKPrY

LittleBigPlanet 3 is actually the 6th installment in the series, being the third full-fledged console game. Other games in the series include obviously LittleBigPlanet & LittleBigPlanet 2, plus LittleBigPlanet Karting, Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves(PS Move DLC for LBP2) and LittleBigPlanet Vita. LittleBigPlanet is a single or multiplayer platformer collect-a-thon at heart. Each of the games have all had a rich content creation system and character customization. Traditionally, Sackboy was the only selectable character type, but with LBP3 there are now four character types and they are as follows.

Sackboy

The original hero of LittleBigPlanet is still LPB3's central character, but his powers are augmented by discoverable gadgets and gizmos. In an early level, he grabs hold of a hair dryer-type gun (a "Pumpinator") that blows and sucks air; a useful thing in any world made up of physical movement puzzles.

Oddsock

A speedy canine character, Oddsock moves a bit faster than everyone else and is good for twitch gameplay.

Toggle

A tank who uses its weight to move heavy objects and solve gravity problems, Toggle really comes into its own due to an ability to change size to creep into those tough-to-reach areas.

Swoop

A cute bird who can (of course) fly, Swoop can also pick up objects and other characters including Toggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyxKIP8KNgk&t=95s

Customization
Our brave, brave new heroes – Oddsock, Swoop, and Toggle – all come with their own unique special abilities and physics but they’re capable of oh so much more! Each hero can be fully costumed up just like Sackboy but you can also tweak them all in Create Mode to completely change their handling and abilities for your own levels! If you've played ANY of the other LBP games, you can upload your entire costume collection to LBP3. If you're playing LBP3 on PS4, you'll want to be sure to have your saves uploaded to the PS+ cloud. This is how your collection will be transferred into LBP3.

The Blaster Handle
You have seen his friends’ special abilities, but Sackboy has some brand new tricks too! Using the new Blaster Handle tool you can create your very own power-ups for Sackboy to use! Power-ups from goo-firing guns to magically enchanted staffs are now possible.

Level Creation
Using the brand new Dynamic Thermometer functionality, the LBP create thermometer is now more flexible than ever. This will allow for created levels to be massively bigger than ever before and even have much greater depth since a creator can now make use of up to 16 playable layers with some rather neat new gameplay objects to help our heroes transition between multiple layers instantaneously. Fully utilizing the unique features of the PlayStation 4 and using the DualShock 4’s new touch pad, you will now be able to use Touch Create to bring a whole new element to your level creation that just wasn't possible until now! Using the new adventure creation tools, you can now make your very own Adventure Maps filled with levels containing fun and exciting quests that can be tracked across the entire Adventure using the new Organisertron quest tracker! There are a total of 70 new creation tools, 29 tools that have enhanced functionality from LBP & LBP2, plus 10 tools being brought from LBP Vita for a total of 250 creation tools.

Sharing
It just wouldn’t be LittleBigPlanet if you couldn’t share your amazing creations and activity with the rest of the community! Using the PlayStation 4’s Share features, you will now be able to create trailer-style videos that you can attach to your published levels to give the rest of a community a personalised preview of your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

These games are always great and I'm pretty excited to see what the community does with the new tool set. I usually buy physical releases but for this I've got a digital preorder. It will be nice to be able to return to this game without swapping discs or worrying about how many content patches need to be downloaded.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

J-Spot posted:

These games are always great and I'm pretty excited to see what the community does with the new tool set. I usually buy physical releases but for this I've got a digital preorder. It will be nice to be able to return to this game without swapping discs or worrying about how many content patches need to be downloaded.

Eventually the user-created levels will probably be better than the dev levels. Can't loving wait for this game. Next week gonna hurt the wallet with this, FC4, GTAV next-gen and SSBU. :ohdear:

Orv
May 4, 2011
They fix the goddamn physics yet?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Orv posted:

They fix the goddamn physics yet?
The devs have said that was a priority for them. Personally I never had much of a problem after getting used to them in the first game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're definitely tolerable, just a little more slippery than is really needed. Hardly a deal-breaker, but man they bug me.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's a bit too late in the series to significantly change the core platforming mechanics, and it's really not a big deal once you get used to it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't know how their handling user levels from the old games, but any time I've seen impressions of the physics changes they have been positive. Found an article on Google that gives a good write up:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/LittleBigPlanet-3-Less-floating-More-jumping posted:

Prior entries in the series have been criticized by some for their lightweight, rather wafty and imprecise jump physics. LBP 3 addresses those complaints with leaps that feel tight and predictable. There's still just a whiff of floatiness to evoke that classic LBP feel, but not so much that characters don't feel eminently controllable. LBP the third really does play like a classic platformer now.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bump for near release time.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The PS4 version has a couple of cool exclusive features. One is twitch integration in user levels, so you can set up key words that cause poo poo to happen in your level if twitch viewers type them in the chat. Kind of neat but probably won't get used much. PS4 creators can also create and upload 30 second trailers for their levels using Share Factory.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
So if I get the PS4 version can I play with PS3 players? All my google searches yield the "backwards compatibility" news, not the answer to this

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
What are the chances we see this as a free game on PS Plus by next year?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

*tumbleweeds roll by*

Does anyone care about this game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bradzilla posted:

*tumbleweeds roll by*

i'm gonna get it for co-op. probably gonna try not to pay for it though with holiday gifts coming up.

seems really pretty and lots more play modes / mechanics than previous games according to reviews but its still probably going to be pretty bland compared to a mario or whatever else because the hook is totally reliant on either you or somebody talented taking 10 hours to make a level worth playing in the editor

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 24, 2014

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Well, the platforming physics feel exactly the same as always. It's definitely a LBP game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Had just a little time to play this today. I aced the levels in the first world except for the very first that forces you to explode. I assume an item or character later on will let me bypass that part. I think the jumping physics on Sackboy have been tweaked just enough to make landing him a little more precise. I also noticed that switching layers doesn't seem to work the same way it used to. I played a favorite user level of mine that relies on automatically switching layers while in the air and it wasn't happening. This could break a lot of levels.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

bradzilla posted:

*tumbleweeds roll by*

I played the first two with two friends over beers, so I'm waiting until we all have some free time to dig into it.

I played through the prologue and all the popit puzzles and oh my god the voice acting is so sappy. My girlfriend put it best: it's like cartoon British people; all the worst parts of the British accents. During the level builder tutorials, I found myself just skipping the voice acting and figuring out the tools for myself so I didn't have to listen to this obnoxious lady blab on about cakes or whatever the gently caress.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I got my copy for PS4 last night, put in the preorder codes for my free poo poo, and none of it showed up. All my old unlocked LBP2 poo poo imported just fine though, and it even remembered the last community levels I played before I mothballed the thing. I imagine if I had actually made and saved any levels to the Moon they'd be in there too.

Well, I shouldn't say none of the preorder poo poo showed up, but only the Vita and PS3 versions of the costumes. The store inside LBP3 still insisted that I didn't have them, and when I went to see if I could "buy" them I got a generic "cannot find this content" sort of error. So maybe I have the poo poo but the PS4 store integration is hosed up. Though I did get the turkey head outfit, somehow.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
So is this a stinker? Is it more of the same? LBP1 didn't lock me in, but I'm looking for a fun co-op game to play with casual players.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

So is this a stinker? Is it more of the same? LBP1 didn't lock me in, but I'm looking for a fun co-op game to play with casual players.

It's a good game, but more of the same describes it pretty well. It feels like less of an advancement than LBP2 was, but if you skipped that one this is a good time to come back.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

AxeManiac posted:

Playing all sorts of random dumb poo poo with others is what LBP is all about, and since all of the old poo poo is still accessible you have a gigantic pool of it. The biggest new addition is probably the new characters, since unlike just adding a new item to hold, they handle significantly differently. There's also now the ability to save persistent data on the player's side within your level, so you'll now see even more complicated design as well as levels that actually try to give you a reason to come back. I might report back after a while when I have finished the canned adventure and get a taste for what people have created by then.

Share Play on the PS4 is another good argument for this game, so you can rope in people who don't have it yet. A game like this where missing is not necessarily tragic works fine with that lag handicap. Of course you can still do real couch co op or play online with someone who owns it or even random pubs.

Plus if you're on the same account that you played LBP1 or 2 you can push a button to unlock all the crap you earned before. Might even be an incentive to go back and do some of that stuff.

Oh, and my promo stuff all showed up the next day, so I guess it was just PSN derping out.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
This game is *okay* but it is buggy. I was playing with my daughters and only one of them could consistently fall into tar and not die. I fell through objects a few times.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot LBP PSP; scrub op.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

bradzilla posted:

*tumbleweeds roll by*

No joke, I didn't even know there was a Little Big Planet 3 until a goon mentioned it in October. I'm saying this as someone who loved the first two games and owns the collector's edition for LBP2. They should have advertised the third game more.

Gonna wait until christmas to get this. A lot of the bugs will likely be patched by then.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 22, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I haven't run into many bugs in the campaign, but many of the more complicated user levels from the older games are super broken due to the changes in physics and the introduction of more layers. I hope they can patch it to be more compatible with the older titles.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This game reminds me of Batman Arkham Origins. New developer using the same engine as before, with shittier results. The game seems really glitchy, I fall through levels constantly. And yeah, besides the new characters, there's very little changed from LBP2. And the aforementioned changes to how you move through layers is bad and basically wrecks the entire backlog of community content.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Really not liking these unskippable cutscenes. Nobody plays LBP for the story, but these cutscenes are especially terrible. I think it's the voice acting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do you think it would be easier to appreciate lbp3 never having played one before? a lot of the comments here are like "more of the same" or "i don't like this change" but going in fresh will any of that matter?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
It it just me and my copy or does this game stutter like hell?

Everything from the opening video/audio and even during levels, everything stutters like it's struggling to load.

Edit: This was before I installed the first patch. I didn't play after that, so I can't comment to performance post patch.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

do you think it would be easier to appreciate lbp3 never having played one before? a lot of the comments here are like "more of the same" or "i don't like this change" but going in fresh will any of that matter?
Yeah, but if you have a PS3 you could get LBP2 way cheaper and try out the game for less. Plus if the guy is right that the changes break some levels then that may be the only way to play them, and you also get to use your 2 unlocks in 3 anyway.

But sure, if you're stuck with a PS4 it's definitely a LittleBigPlanet game. If you hate the canned levels you can leave right after the first introduction level and go into the community levels unprepared. You need to play through the built in levels if you want to earn more things to make your own levels though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Krime posted:

It it just me and my copy or does this game stutter like hell?

Everything from the opening video/audio and even during levels, everything stutters like it's struggling to load.
There's a little bit of stutter in the menus but I think that's been present in every game since the first one. I'm experiencing a stranger issue in some of the levels, though. Sackboy will kind of "warp" ahead a fraction of a second. I really started noticing it when you get the rail roller hat and try speeding through that level. I think it may be related to the game checking the network status even though I was playing solo at the time.

Real hurthling! posted:

do you think it would be easier to appreciate lbp3 never having played one before?
Yes. As a longtime fan it doesn't blow me away the way the leap from 1 to 2 did, but the campaign levels are quite good in this one so it should be pretty friendly for newcomers. That said I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to pick up 2 on the cheap.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Speaking of LBP2, it just went on sale this week for the PS3 version on PSN:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/littlebigplanet-2/cid=UP9000-NPUA80662_00-GLITTLEBIG000001

So if you're on the fence whether you'd like that sort of game you can try the old one.

LBP1 is also on sale in case you have a completionist streak:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/littlebigplanet/cid=UP9000-NPUA80472_00-GLITTLEBIG000001

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 25, 2014

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This is the only PS4 game that I've crashed to the XMB on. It's also soft reset my system once as well. And connection issues when cooping with my friend.

It's fun and we've had some great laughs already, but I'm going to wait for some sort of patch before we continue playing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Sorry, this is the real Swoop.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ColdPie posted:

I played the first two with two friends over beers, so I'm waiting until we all have some free time to dig into it.

We finally dug into this last night and we had a really good time! The campaign levels are a lot of fun. The dog segments were the best. Just run and jump platforming, basically racing each other and then cheering each other on after we died. We had the brilliant idea to all use the same costume on the secondary characters, which made for pretty crazy platforming because you didn't know which character was yours. Really fun.

The game is buggy, though. Once I fell through the floor, killing all three of us because the camera followed me. The bird levels are crazy buggy. There's tubes that you're supposed to get sucked through, but we regularly fell out of them and had to suicide to continue. One bird level glitched so bad on us that we had to reset the level twice, causing us to replay the whole level three times. Though, to be fair, that glitch was the most hilarious moment of the night and had us rolling.

There's also a really bad design flaw. The item action button is the same as the button to grab other players, and grabbing takes precedence. So when you're near another player, you grab them instead of activating your item. We died to this a ton of times, and in many segments resorted to slowing down and taking turns instead of blitzing the level like we had been.

Very fun game overall if you've got some friends who are into platforming games. The glitches were annoying, and sometimes game breaking, but not bad enough to ruin the experience.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I aced all the levels yesterday. The final boss level was a huge pain in the rear end and took about an hour, mostly thanks to the second smasher segment in Toggle's section. Time to check out the popit puzzles I guess.

I didn't run into too many game breaking glitches in the adventure mode, but the boost boots can be a lot of fun for breaking the levels and getting to places you shouldn't. I ran into a fun little glitch in Bunkum Lagoon where you can fall through the floor and grab some prize bubbles you shouldn't be able to reach. I also figured out how to get the projector prize bubbles in Manglewood without the flash light power up.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I've got to give the devs props on the popit puzzle idea. They're a fun and clever way to teach the basics of the create tools. I've never bothered making a level in any of these games but now I might try to create a simple platformer level.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Haven't gotten a PS4 yet, so maybe the answer is obvious to a PS4 owner, but I have a question regarding my old data.

My PS3 with my LBP1+2 data on it died (and there's no place here in the Philippines that will fix it). Getting the data is _not_ as simple as just hooking the hard drive up to my PC, apparently. I did not have PS Plus except for that one period when Sony offered it for free because of the password leaks.

Is there any chance I can get LBP1+2 unlocks on the PS4? Because ugh I'd really like to keep those.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
I managed it just fine, so long as you're using the same PSN account, I believe it just checks what trophies/pins you have from LBP/LBP2 and gives you items/unlocks based off that. Although it's not perfect, I could swear I have the Marvel and Monster packs but they're wanting me to pay for them. I also have the pirates of the Caribbean pack but it won't let me download it despite saying free. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I feel like this is a game you wait to get the GOTY DLC bundle of. Is there anything that justifies the £47.99 pricetag over just playing LBP2?

• Locked thread