Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's probably not gonna be a GOTY bundle, most of the DLC is just costumes for flavor.

As for new features, it has new items, characters, a new campaign to play through and 16 layers instead of 3. People kept saying it had a lot of bugs so I looked through some videos and from the looks of it they're the same bugs as in the previous games. Hopefully they managed to reduce them with patches again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?
Got my copy a day ago (for PS3) and nearly have it beat. I notice it is buggy as gently caress and has crashed a bunch when doing some stuff (having two players trying to create costumes at once).

Its super fun so far and very character is great, got to say Swoop might be my new favorite :)

Im also wondering if you can get preorder DLC if you didnt (as in i didnt preorder just wondering if theyll be available).

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ijyt posted:

I feel like this is a game you wait to get the GOTY DLC bundle of. Is there anything that justifies the £47.99 pricetag over just playing LBP2?
It depends on how much of the content you think you'll want to experience. If you like to ace and 100% all of the stages and plan to do create mode there's probably enough to keep you entertained, but if you just want to blow through the adventure levels you should wait until a price drop or expanded edition. Even as a big fan of the series I'm a little disappointed in the length of the campaign. The design of the levels is as good as ever but there's just not enough of them. I think there are 15 full levels including the intro stage, four boss levels, and maybe a dozen mini levels. The new characters are seriously underutilized with only one full level apiece plus a mini-level and short segments in the final two levels. There's also a new game mode called popit puzzles which are essentially create mode tutorials cleverly disguised as levels and they're actually pretty fun to play through.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How does it compare in length to rayman legends? that game feels huge.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Real hurthling! posted:

Rayman Legends is huge and LBP3 is really small in comparison if you're just talking the main adventure, although there are a ton of user created levels so it's a little difficult to compare.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game is gonna be fun as hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Rayman Legends is huge and LBP3 is really small in comparison if you're just talking the main adventure, although there are a ton of user created levels so it's a little difficult to compare.

I meant in main campaign. when it says 15 levels for lbp3 above i just couldn't figure out if that meant groups of courses like say "teensies in trouble" in rayman or individual A to B courses. cause the latter is crazy small if that's the case.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

Indefinite, because the gimmick is that once you've played the built in maps you now know what all the features are and you use them to either play community levels or make your own. If you're buying the game for the premade content you're probably doing it wrong.

If you do want to collect all the bits it can take quite a while (some are actually tricky to find or figure out how to access), and you'll be required to do some stuff co-op to get every last piece. It's completely optional though and you can exit out of the very second level (after the one that tells you how to move right and jump) if you want and go play community stuff. You might not have the slightest clue what you're doing, though.

LBP is cutesy as heck but it can be surprisingly difficult in places and really make you wonder if you're so bad that you can't easily ace a children's game. Which makes it that much better to play co-op so you can poo poo talk each other when you gently caress up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Real hurthling! posted:

I meant in main campaign. when it says 15 levels for lbp3 above i just couldn't figure out if that meant groups of courses like say "teensies in trouble" in rayman or individual A to B courses. cause the latter is crazy small if that's the case.

It's individual courses. They're probably longer than Rayman courses but I haven't played that in a long time. I was pretty shocked when I stopped my first play session and saw I was already 15% through.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, to be honest LBP2 probably has more premade level content in it than LBP3, and with good reason since they want to cater to the series vets. People who played the last two and were addicted to the community levels most likely want to just see the new stuff quickly and hit the ground running. They padded out LBP2 a lot to show you all the ways you could use their tools to make all sorts of levels, but now there are shitloads of community levels to demonstrate everything you can think of and beyond. You don't buy LBP3 to play offline, it's just not that game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, to be honest LBP2 probably has more premade level content in it than LBP3, and with good reason since they want to cater to the series vets. People who played the last two and were addicted to the community levels most likely want to just see the new stuff quickly and hit the ground running. They padded out LBP2 a lot to show you all the ways you could use their tools to make all sorts of levels, but now there are shitloads of community levels to demonstrate everything you can think of and beyond. You don't buy LBP3 to play offline, it's just not that game.
I don't think it's unreasonable expect a $60 dollar game have the same amount of content as previous games in the series. I agree that the user content is the main attraction in these games but right now there's not a lot of great stuff for LBP3 and the updated engine breaks most of the levels I hearted in the old games.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
How do you find the good community levels? I've tried several and some are pretty good but a lot are really bad. Anyone have any favorite co-op (or competitive) levels or minigames?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How do you find the good community levels? I've tried several and some are pretty good but a lot are really bad. Anyone have any favorite co-op (or competitive) levels or minigames?

Definitely try out the levels by MPGGSMPGGS.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

My old strategy was basically to let other people do it for me. Once you find a level you really like go to that creator's profile and browse their hearted levels and creators. Also, any time you see a Japanese level just jump right in. They tend to be interesting in my experience.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Also the Team Picks are featured levels selected by the devs so they're generally at least not horribly broken. Though there aren't many yet, it looks like they dumped the old featured list. I'm guessing they knew there would be problems with old levels too. :(

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CrashCat posted:

Also the Team Picks are featured levels selected by the devs so they're generally at least not horribly broken. Though there aren't many yet, it looks like they dumped the old featured list. I'm guessing they knew there would be problems with old levels too. :(
The old ones should be there in all their broken glory unless you've got a filter for LBP3 levels on. That or you can't bring up more levels because that feature seems to be glitched 90% of the time and just brings up the same set of levels over and over again.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm enjoying the game so far, shame I get a guaranteed crash trying to go into one of the main levels in the first world so I can't do any of the story :suicide:

Edit: Correction, make that ANY of the levels in the first world :stonklol:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 3, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Icedude posted:

I'm enjoying the game so far, shame I get a guaranteed crash trying to go into one of the main levels in the first world so I can't do any of the story :suicide:
Try signing out of PSN and see if you can't get past that section offline.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm really enjoying this game, but god drat is it ever buggy. Hope they iron that one out in pretty short order. Otherwise the presentation has been fantastic, I love the idea of hub stages, and the new powerups are great excepting Blink Ball, which can suck a fat one. Can't wait to sink my teeth into the editor, but it looks like I'm gonna have to, because I can't use stickers. Whoops!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

J-Spot posted:

Try signing out of PSN and see if you can't get past that section offline.

Thankfully that worked! How the hell did they miss such a big showstopper though?

Got to the point of having all 3 characters unlocked, and it's kinda disappointing how they got Twilight Princess syndrome with all the unlocks; "Oh hey here's a new toy for one level, time to never use it again!" :sigh:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Icedude posted:

Thankfully that worked! How the hell did they miss such a big showstopper though?

I had to do this too, if I leave myself logged into PSN I either have wait a minute or two for the level to start or, more likely, get to look at the loading screen indefinitely and my router blinking like crazy as it batters my internet connection doing who-knows-what. I even tried it set to not do levels with other people and reject requests to join me, but it still happened.

I am really enjoying the game but it being buggy as gently caress is ruining it somewhat.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

A new patch was just released. The game does seem more stable as I was able to access some user levels that were consistently crashing the game before. Alas, there don't seem to be any compatibility fixes for the legacy content.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm tempted by this game. How's the coop? Is the whole story coopable? Am I able to download multiplayer maps and play them locally without everyone needing a PSN account? (Or a PSN+ account for that matter)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Yes, every level can be played coop. There's even a trophy for doing so. For the most part the coop sections only require two players but there is one four player level.

Your Playstation needs to be online to play the user generated levels. I'm not sure if player 1 needs a PSN account to play online but guests definitely do not. PS+ is not required to play the user levels locally on PS4 or at all on PS3.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Sooooo. Sounds like business as usual then from LBP2. Thanks.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Could we get a big bold :siren:THIS IS ALSO ON PS3:siren: or something for the OP or thread title? I was under the impression I'd be waiting to get a PS4 to play this, and pretty much stumbled on the fact that it was available for PS3 by browsing GameFly just now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

Could we get a big bold :siren:THIS IS ALSO ON PS3:siren: or something for the OP or thread title? I was under the impression I'd be waiting to get a PS4 to play this, and pretty much stumbled on the fact that it was available for PS3 by browsing GameFly just now.
If you have a PS3 you're probably better off just playing LBP2 for a while yet, though. It's really kind of a mess.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CrashCat posted:

If you have a PS3 you're probably better off just playing LBP2 for a while yet, though. It's really kind of a mess.

Please elaborate.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I can't speak to the PS3 version, but on PS4 the game has been prone to some pretty bad crashing related to the online features. Many people also reported game breaking glitches in the campaign although that's kind of a YMMV type of thing. Last week they did release a fairly major patch to address a lot of stuff and I can at least say the game has not crashed on me since.

The bigger problem I have is that while all the user levels from the old games are still accessible the new engine breaks many of them in all sorts of ways. Sometimes Sackboy can access layers that never existed in the old games so you get trapped in background scenery. Bounce pads have a lot of problems propelling you the way they used to so you may get sent into a pit of spikes you should have cleared or find yourself stuck because you can't bounce as high as you should. It's a real bummer since I hadn't played LBP2 in a few years and was excited to go back through all the team picks in this one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Right, but is the PS3 version somehow even more broken? Unless that's the case, I think I'll be more than happy to just get it this Christmas rather than $400 down the line.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I played a demo on a PS4 in a store; is there really this terrible lag/frameskip whenever you open the popit? It's really glaring and somewhat distracting, but that could also be because the store's PS4 has been on for a really long time?

As for tools, though, wow. My mind is kinda blown by how much they put in there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Argue posted:

I played a demo on a PS4 in a store; is there really this terrible lag/frameskip whenever you open the popit? It's really glaring and somewhat distracting, but that could also be because the store's PS4 has been on for a really long time?

I haven't played the game but I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of it earlier today and no, that doesn't seem to be the case.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Argue posted:

That was a bug on systems where the user had a lot of screenshots in their Capture Gallery; it would apparently load every screenshot every time you hit the Popit button regardless of whether you actually want to import any screenshots. The lag won't happen if you don't have screenshots, so I see why testers and reviewers didn't run into it. This has already been patched, along with a fleet of crash bugs that were making online multiplayer impossible (now it's just vaguely unstable).

Lizard Wizard posted:

Right, but is the PS3 version somehow even more broken? Unless that's the case, I think I'll be more than happy to just get it this Christmas rather than $400 down the line.
If you're just getting it now for the costume unlocks, as far as I can tell they're all DLC shop costumes anyway, so I'm not sure why it would cost you $400 later.

The issues were brought up earlier in the thread by other people, but basically the canned campaigns in LBP3 are shorter (and glitchier online) than 2, the old LBP1/2 levels don't work properly with the new engine, and it's new so there isn't much community content yet. If all you want to do is tear into the tools and start making new poo poo then by all means get LBP3, but if you're like me and prefer to play levels others have made you're way better off with 2 for now.

So while I wouldn't know if the PS3 version is specifically worse, I would say it's not the best LBP to play on PS3. Also, the parts you unlock in 1 and 2 carry over to 3 (with an import option in settings), so if you haven't played or finished the first two that could be another incentive to play those first.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CrashCat posted:

If you're just getting it now for the costume unlocks, as far as I can tell they're all DLC shop costumes anyway, so I'm not sure why it would cost you $400 later.

I'm saying that if the PS4 version were the only version approaching acceptability, that would cost me $400, the price of a PS4, which would be down the line because I'm not getting a PS4 yet. I appreciate the concern, but I want the game in a big way and am going to get it for Christmas as I can't really justify getting it for myself.

That's why I was asking if the PS3 version is cripplingly inferior, which it seems not to be.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm saying that if the PS4 version were the only version approaching acceptability, that would cost me $400, the price of a PS4, which would be down the line because I'm not getting a PS4 yet. I appreciate the concern, but I want the game in a big way and am going to get it for Christmas as I can't really justify getting it for myself.

That's why I was asking if the PS3 version is cripplingly inferior, which it seems not to be.

Personally I think the PS4 is such a massive improvement on the PS3 (I never played my PS3 because the controllers sucked so much and the interface drove me mad) that it might be worth waiting a bit to get a PS4 and then LBP3 when it's cheap.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

Gotcha, makes sense. Gonna be hard to find someone with both to be able to tell the difference. At release the PS4 version was sloppy and buggy so that part is definitely not limited to the PS3 if they're also having problems.

That said I don't foresee it being superior on the PS4 since the graphics look largely unchanged from LBP2. Maybe someone who has the PS3 version could chime in and let us know if there's slowdown anywhere?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

If anyone is still having the issue where the game seems to hang, or take forever, on the "loading" screen, try changing your primary DNS server to Google's (8.8.8.8) as I did that last night and all my problems seem to have cleared up. No longer need to sign out of PSN to play the game. I don't know why this affects me, I'm playing the EU version of the game, but am in Japan, but that shouldn't matter. I can only presume there is a duff DNS entry out there somewhere?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one big difference between the ps3 and 4 version of the game is that the next gen one supports 4 times more layers, right?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

one big difference between the ps3 and 4 version of the game is that the next gen one supports 4 times more layers, right?
The PS3 version would have to be a completely different game if that were the case and the user levels wouldn't be compatible. The only differences in the PS4 version are improved graphics and Twitch integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Got this with a PS4 the day before Christmas and was unable to play it at all until yesterday due to PSN DDoS bullshit. I'm loving it. I've encountered a couple of minor bugs which is unfortunate given how bug-free the previous games were, but it's not a big deal since you can easily restart at the last checkpoint. The fact that most LBP1/2 levels don't actually work well right now is definitely a bummer, but hopefully these bugs will be ironed out before long.

The new characters, layers, and items add a lot to the game and I'm having a blast in the campaign. The create mode is the best it has ever been and I can't wait to dig in once I unlock more prizes. I am sad that the LBP3 community seems to be slow on the uptake, I remember LBP2 being much more prolific right off the bat. I hope it picks up steam in the future because creating and playing community levels has always been the highlight for me.

• Locked thread