Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it more important that the guilty be punished or that the good be rewarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
They are both equal aspects of justice.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

They are both equal aspects of justice.

For the Christian I mean.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Cavaradossi posted:

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."

I honestly wanted to have a reasonable response but that is so jive my teeth hurt. I can in no way imagine how those were stated with a straight face. I really have been sitting here trying to internalize these and it is impossible. This is honestly just meaningless political double talk. The first point is illogical. The second assumes the first then follows it with a non sequitur.

if 847 is true then there is no real point to the church.
848 is the equivalent of :wink:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Of all the bronze age mythologies that exist this one is super different and special.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Reznor posted:

I honestly wanted to have a reasonable response but that is so jive my teeth hurt. I can in no way imagine how those were stated with a straight face. I really have been sitting here trying to internalize these and it is impossible. This is honestly just meaningless political double talk. The first point is illogical. The second assumes the first then follows it with a non sequitur.

What's real great is that Kyrie said 847 is actually a cruel joke on the part of his religion - "Well, sure, they might get saved. *giggle, snort* after all, God could do anything. So I guess they MIGHT get saved. Hee hee! Hee hee!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
One billion eons from now:

God: Remember that time when you were 8 and you didn't share your lollipop with your sister.
You: PLEASE GOD DELETE ME FROM EXISTENCE THE TORMENT IS UNBEARABLE. WHHHHYYYYY
God: No, and because you did not cut a bit from your cock.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Jastiger posted:

I believe God wants me to murder all redheaded people and to have as many children as possible without the consent of the women. I've also never heard of the Bible as I'm in a part of the world that hasn't had missionaries yet.

Am I heaven bound while the doubter down your block is hell bound?

Well, I'm not the one who judges, but it doesn't sound like you've really sought for God, and certainly if you've committed murder and rape you haven't been moved by grace.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Reznor posted:

No - 847 in fact lays a huge moral burden on the members of the Church. We must evangelise, so that everyone can hear the Gospel, and doesn't have to go through the extra effort involved in seeking God on their own.

848 of course assumes 847 - this is the normal way of laying out a logical argument in order. It then explicitly lays the burden of evangelization on the Church.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

Well, I'm not the one who judges, but it doesn't sound like you've really sought for God, and certainly if you've committed murder and rape you haven't been moved by grace.

Isn't a big thing about Christianity that all people are equal in their sin and that feelings are equally sinful as actions? So anyone who has ever felt lust has raped and anyone who has ever felt anger has murdered.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Right, I think we've established quite thoroughly that all this stuff is rather silly. Next question: how do we get rid of it?

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

This thread is for discussing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Incarnation, the Son of Man, the Word, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord, the Light of the World, the Resurrection, the King of the Jews, the Messiah, the Savior, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Just to get it out of the way right now, I am posting this completely without irony. I literally believe in Jesus Christ with every fiber of my being, and there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about him. I do not in any way envy the lives of those who live without Christ; I have done my time without him, and I will never go back to that.

I go to church, and so should you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7GXu2KOmQ

The reason Christ matters more than anything else, and is in fact the only thing that matters, is that he is the only hope for your salvation. Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

Behold the truth: That only God, who created the world, and has seen every life and knows every thought, can absolve you of your sins. Only his ineffable wisdom, his stern judgment, and his infinite mercy, can bring you from the brink of self-destruction, and help you to achieve your true self.

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ. The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ. There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ. You have to take him seriously. You don't have a choice.

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

e: The man took down my song, so here's a suitable replacement.

Really late to the discussion, but I have to dispute this. I am Jewish but went to a Catholic University, with mandatory study of the New Testament each semester. I have read the entire Christian Bible many times, but do not see a strong connection between the "Old Testament," (Jewish Torah and Tanakh) and the "New Testament." One of the things I respected the most about my University was that we studied the inconsistencies among the Four Gospels of the New Testament and the fact that they were written 200 - 300 years after the alleged time of Jesus. I understand Christianity as an Apocalyptic Religion primarily based against the Roman domination of Judea. Once the Roman Emperor Constantine made it the official Religion of Rome, it changed - one of the greatest shifts was blaming the Jews for Jesus's death instead of the original blame on the Romans. The Gospel of Matthew, the least connected to the other 3, states the Jews gathered at Pontius Pilates's decision said 'His blood is on us and on our children' - as if this could justify centuries of persecution of the Jews by Christians. How could a small group of any Religion take on the crime of "Deicide" onto the whole Religion - however, this was used against Jews up to the 18th and 19th centuries!

The Papacy, and the many pagan traditions incorporated into the Religion from Easter (rabbits and eggs being fertility symbols and a direct replacement on the calender to Passover) to Christmas (the Roman Saturnalia, including pagan celebrations involving pine trees and gifts) were added after the Gospels. Judaism does not have an explicit heaven or hell, life on earth is most important. Christianity rewards belief with everlasting pleasure in heaven or eternal punishment in hell with a Judgement Day where the Earth will be destroyed. The "Old Testament" does not suggest that G-D hates or is ashamed of Creation - so why would it be destroyed? I cannot see this as a legitimate successor to Judaism. I have never met a Christan who followed the doctrines of "turn the other cheek," "love thy enemy," and "the meek shall inherit the earth." Judaism has no such precepts, only asking that we respect all Humans as part of G-D's creation. Judaism is only a Religion for the Jews - all people can reach and have a relationship with G-D. Jews have a unique relationship with G-D, but it is no better than any other peoples'. This is why Judaism doesn't try to convert people unlike it's "successor" Christianity.

Enophos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 9, 2015

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Enophos posted:

Really late to the discussion, but I have to dispute this. I am Jewish but went to a Catholic University, with mandatory study of the New Testament each semester. I have read the entire Christian Bible many times, but do not see a strong connection between the "Old Testament," (Jewish Torah and Tanakh) and the "New Testament." One of the things I respected the most about my University was that we studied the inconsistencies among the Four Gospels of the New Testament and the fact that they were written 200 - 300 years after the alleged time of Jesus. I understand Christianity as an Apocalyptic Religion primarily based against the Roman domination of Judea. Once the Roman Emperor Constantine made it the official Religion of Rome, it changed - one of the greatest shifts was blaming the Jews for Jesus's death instead of the original blame on the Romans. The Gospel of Matthew, the least connected to the other 3, states the Jews gathered at Pontius Pilates's decision said 'His blood is on us and on our children' - as if this could justify centuries of persecution of the Jews by Christians. How could a small group of any Religion take on the crime of "Deicide" onto the whole Religion - however, this was used against Jews up to the 18th and 19th centuries!

The Papacy, and the many pagan traditions incorporated into the Religion from Easter (rabbits and eggs being fertility symbols and a direct replacement on the calender to Passover) to Christmas (the Roman Saturnalia, including pagan celebrations involving pine trees and gifts) were added after the Gospels. Judaism does not have an explicit heaven or hell, life on earth is most important. Christianity rewards belief with everlasting pleasure in heaven or eternal punishment in hell with a Judgement Day where the Earth will be destroyed. The "Old Testament" does not suggest that G-D hates or is ashamed of Creation - so why would it be destroyed? I cannot see this as a legitimate successor to Judaism. I have never met a Christan who followed the doctrines of "turn the other cheek," "love thy enemy," and "the meek shall inherit the earth." Judaism has no such precepts, only asking that we respect all Humans as part of G-D's creation. Judaism is only a Religion for the Jews - all people can reach and have a relationship with G-D. Jews have a unique relationship with G-D, but it is no better than any other peoples'. This is why Judaism doesn't try to convert people unlike it's "successor" Christianity.

Don't take OP's religion too seriously; it's just a means to punish himself and other people. To him (as far as I can tell), it's not "How to Become a Better Person, the Book" it's "Why You and Everyone Like You Goes to Hell and There's Nothing You Can Do About It".

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

TwoQuestions posted:

Don't take OP's religion too seriously; it's just a means to punish himself and other people. To him (as far as I can tell), it's not "How to Become a Better Person, the Book" it's "Why You and Everyone Like You Goes to Hell and There's Nothing You Can Do About It".

Thanks for your feedback - a lot of Christians I know have a weird drive to self castigate.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Who What Now posted:

Isn't a big thing about Christianity that all people are equal in their sin and that feelings are equally sinful as actions? So anyone who has ever felt lust has raped and anyone who has ever felt anger has murdered.

Yep. This is a big thing in Fundamentalist churches, which is why they're so angry at everyone and consumed with self-loathing all the time I think.

They literally believe divine intervention is the only thing keeping them from being mass rapist/murderer/child molestors. Ever hear someone say "There but for the Grace of God go I" in reference to someone doing something terrible or being in a terrible situation? That's where it comes from.

People literally cannot help but do horrible things to each other, so beg God for help to be a good person because you can't do it on your own.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The apologism about the rules not applying those who don't know God seem necessary to make the whole thing not seem ludicrously evil, buy wouldn't it then be great to remove all trace of religion to guarantee that your children and all your decendants go to heaven? It's always seemed a bit of a catch 22 to me.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Trent posted:

The apologism about the rules not applying those who don't know God seem necessary to make the whole thing not seem ludicrously evil, buy wouldn't it then be great to remove all trace of religion to guarantee that your children and all your decendants go to heaven? It's always seemed a bit of a catch 22 to me.

"may" acheive. It's harder to find God if no-one tells you the Gospel!

Morten Harket
Apr 22, 2005

Saint Harket
My kids aren't learning jack poo poo about religion, despite my mother's efforts. So they should be good to go.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

me:so say you stopped believing in God. would you change your morality or behaviour?
friend:absolutely.
me:no I think you are better than that.
friend:
me:you are a good person.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lampsacus posted:

me:so say you stopped believing in God. would you change your morality or behaviour?
friend:absolutely.
me:no I think you are better than that.
friend:
me:you are a good person.

Yeah, there are few things more horrifying than people that straight up tell you the only reason they aren't raping/murdering you is because they believe an immortal police officer will torture them for eternity if they do.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not quite true though, it's more that they've bought into narrative of 'humans bad (except me)'.They believe it to be the case, more than they would actually act as if that were the case.

I'm not sure why it's so persistent, it may be capitalist alienation (for the purpose of reducing worker solidarity - the aggrandization of the individual and the demonization of the community/collective as protection of capitalist interests), part of it may be trying to boost the ego of the self through lower of others, or it may be anchoring on the few bad cases and then inflating that out (in the same way a majority of people believe that they are better than average drivers).

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Enophos posted:

One of the things I respected the most about my University was that we studied the inconsistencies among the Four Gospels of the New Testament and the fact that they were written 200 - 300 years after the alleged time of Jesus.

This isn't the scholarly consensus as I understand it. Mark is believed to be written around 70 AD, Matthew and Luke sometime around 80, and John in the late 90s or perhaps 100. Paul's letters come from about 47 or 48 (1 Thessalonians) and go to the time of his death, sometime around 65. The other letters fall toward the end of that timeline. Revelation is in the early 100s or so. Certain so-called Gnostic texts are sometimes dated in the mid 2nd century, like the Gospels of Thomas, Peter, Mary Magdalene, and Judas, though there is hardly a true consensus on these texts.

You might be thinking of the council of Nicaea? When the canon was finally decided? Which was in 325 AD.

Cavaradossi posted:

"may" acheive. It's harder to find God if no-one tells you the Gospel!

This is an absurdity. Does it not seem that way to you? The thing necessary for salvation is acceptance of Jesus as your savior...unless you've never heard of him! In that case it's...uh, good works? But not exactly works, more like following your conscience...unless that conscience tells you to do bad things! In which case, don't do those things. Seek God. Oh, that's right, poo poo, you've never heard of him. How could one be expected to follow God if they don't know to follow God? Oh well, guess that means they can never get into heaven. Oh poo poo! Wait! That makes God a horrible monster! Okay, then they can get into heaven. Maybe. Possibly.

Meanwhile, the guy who has heard of Christianity but didn't find it convincing? Burn forever, heathen!!!

Look, God could appear to everyone on earth and tell them that he's real and that Jesus is really his son, then everyone would be saved (which he supposedly wants, a la 1 Timothy 2:4), but he doesn't do it. Why? And don't tell me, "he doesn't do that sort of thing" because he clearly does - Paul, for example.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

It's a more a Protestant thing. Luther makes the categories absolute: One is utterly separated from God by sin. One is completely saved by (united with) God by grace. The Catholics have a hierarchy, some sins are worse than others, the degree that a sin separates one can be more or less, depending on what it is.

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

Dzhay posted:

Right, I think we've established quite thoroughly that all this stuff is rather silly. Next question: how do we get rid of it?
(For usa)

0. Have lots of money. Don't be afraid of Christian death threats. In fact don't be afraid of actual death as doing this could very well get you murdered. Best bet here is that you be someone already famous for something else. And again, have money or sit the gently caress down.

1. Get arrested for public nudity and/or public sex. Get charged with indecent exposure.

2. Fight the case on the scientific absurdity of the claim that the sight of the naked human form or the act of intercourse could have any harmful effect on a child (or any other sane person). See works cited pages of Sex at Dawn for ammunition.

3. Get the media involved to the fullest extent possible. Get the scientific and academic communities involved to the fullest extent possible. If you know any celebrities, get them involved. You will lose this case and become a sex offender, making this a selfless act of tremendous solidarity for all those Poors whose lives are destroyed by this puritanical law, both past and potential future.

4. Seriously though be a reasonably famous rich person before even thinking about doing anything like this. Get other rich and/or famous people to repeat this process until indecent exposure law enforcement is fully farcical in the eyes of the public, just as weed prohibition is today.

5. Wait a few years.

6. Enjoy orgies in public parks unmolested by men wearing costumes and carrying firearms.

Side note: we should also be fighting to get bibles and Christian judges pulled from the courtroom. Having judges with mental disabilities is full loving madness.

Seraph84 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 12, 2015

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

BrandorKP posted:

It's a more a Protestant thing. Luther makes the categories absolute: One is utterly separated from God by sin. One is completely saved by (united with) God by grace. The Catholics have a hierarchy, some sins are worse than others, the degree that a sin separates one can be more or less, depending on what it is.

To nitpick a little, the protestant belief (or at least Lutheran) is not that murder equals slander or something like that but that God and sin don't match at all. There's just no point in categorizing sins, or comparing them when it comes to the relationship of people and God. What sin does to us is another matter.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
there are sins that can be forgiven, there are sins that cannot be forgiven. i propose that there are 2 categories of sin and not all sin are equal cos they be saying it. they dont think it do but it are what it is.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Michael Jackson posted:

there are sins that can be forgiven, there are sins that cannot be forgiven. i propose that there are 2 categories of sin and not all sin are equal cos they be saying it. they dont think it do but it are what it is.

Yeah, but the only one listed as being unforgivable is Blaspheming the Holy Ghost, whatever that means.

I hope that means every single Televangelist Pentecostal type is going to Hell for faking glossolalia or whatever.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, but the only one listed as being unforgivable is Blaspheming the Holy Ghost, whatever that means.

I hope that means every single Televangelist Pentecostal type is going to Hell for faking glossolalia or whatever.

for trinity believers it means that Jesus is a lesser deity and the holy ghost is superior.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Wade Wilson posted:

I recall being taught that as part of my Catholic schoolboy upbringing. And it really puts you in a tough spot. Just one little stray thought, maybe not even intentional, but you could easily think it just because the idea of thinking it is on your mind because you're trying NOT to think it, and if you slip up, you're definitively hosed. Just one stray thought. It's like...

How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to eradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I recall being taught that as part of my Catholic schoolboy upbringing. And it really puts you in a tough spot. Just one little stray thought, maybe not even intentional, but you could easily think it just because the idea of thinking it is on your mind because you're trying NOT to think it, and if you slip up, you're definitively hosed. Just one stray thought. It's like...

How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to eradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?

That's some weird way to interpret that part. Stray thoughts? Generally, the rule of the thumb I've been taught in multiple occations is that if you're worried about Blaspheming the Holy Ghost (interesting translation there, I wonder what is the original word...), you have nothing to worry about.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Secret Agent X23 posted:

actually it is more than just thinking a thought. but catholics are pretty guilt driven about anything.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Valiantman posted:

That's some weird way to interpret that part. Stray thoughts? Generally, the rule of the thumb I've been taught in multiple occations is that if you're worried about Blaspheming the Holy Ghost (interesting translation there, I wonder what is the original word...), you have nothing to worry about.

I don't know. I'm prepared to admit that maybe I was absent from school the day they covered the part about being worried about it. Or maybe I was just preoccupied gazing at this girl I had a crush on. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it would have stuck with me if I'd heard that particular detail.

What did stick with me was the idea that what we think can be a sin.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I don't know. I'm prepared to admit that maybe I was absent from school the day they covered the part about being worried about it. Or maybe I was just preoccupied gazing at this girl I had a crush on. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it would have stuck with me if I'd heard that particular detail.

so you did not bother reading and learning yourself? then you might have a lot of misconceptions.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Michael Jackson posted:

for trinity believers it means that Jesus is a lesser deity and the holy ghost is superior.

It means no such thing.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Yes, this is central to Jesus's ministry - and is what He instituted in place of the Law. The Sermon on the Mount contains several examples of this - for example the section on murder, Matthew 5:21-22

21 ‘You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, “You shall not murder”; and “whoever murders shall be liable to judgement.” 22 But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, “You fool”, you will be liable to the hell of fire.

What condemns you is not the action - in this case, murder - but the thought or emotion behind that action - anger - even in the absence of the action.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Michael Jackson posted:

so you did not bother reading and learning yourself? then you might have a lot of misconceptions.

I was six years old when all this was going on. By the time I got old enough to start finding books so I could read about it on my own, I had so many doubts about all kinds of other stuff that didn't make sense to me that I was ready to throw the whole thing out the window.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Valiantman posted:

To nitpick a little, the protestant belief (or at least Lutheran) is not that murder equals slander or something like that but that God and sin don't match at all. There's just no point in categorizing sins, or comparing them when it comes to the relationship of people and God. What sin does to us is another matter.

I like the phrase "Sin is a state before it is an act", I also like "Sin is separation". And I love this sermon and post it every chance I get.

http://media.sabda.org/alkitab-2/Re...zoom=auto,0,792

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

I like the phrase "Sin is a state before it is an act", I also like "Sin is separation". And I love this sermon and post it every chance I get.

http://media.sabda.org/alkitab-2/Re...zoom=auto,0,792

That IS really good a sermon. It's wordy but in that case words are needed. Bookmarked. :D

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Miltank posted:

It means no such thing.

That is actually literally a thing Jesus is reported as saying in John 16:7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Wade Wilson posted:

That is actually literally a thing Jesus is reported as saying in John 16:7.

quote:

“They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God. And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me. But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you. “I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.”
‭‭John‬ ‭16:2-15‬ ‭ESV‬‬ http://bible.com/59/jhn.16.2-15.esv
Verse 7 is bolded

Jesus sends the Holy Spirit and it speaks his words- not really sure how that makes him the lesser of the two.

• Locked thread