Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
God is real. Deal with it DnD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

The idea of hell exists as an attempt to explain statistics and probability in an age before the appropriate mathematic concepts were developed.

Get a fever and die? You'll go to a good afterlife as long as you have the appropriate cultural rituals conducted. Don't have anyone to conduct the rituals? Clearly, you're evil and did something to deserve it, so you won't go to a good afterlife and the whole community gets whatever property you had without need to send for extended family or potential heirs. Its an effective method to force homogeneity amongst a geographic region before the political development of state institutions independent from patrilineal practices.

When you make it one god, you make it an argument over which understanding of that god is acceptable. Monotheism requires developed state institutions beholden to an independent judicial code in order to remain stable as a belief and not descend into paganistic practices.

It's funny how in every thread you post in you don't know what you're talking about.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's beyond reason to believe in a creator entity or that it would try to reveal it self to us.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Through things that cannot be reproduced or confirmed via evidence.

Yeah how would it be a miracle if it was a natural process? That's the whole point dude.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

Tell me more about how incorrect I am without presenting an alternative methodology to explain incremental development in cultural practices.

When you hold that its within reason that a creator entity would try to reveal itself to humans, you assign several anthropomorphic aspects to such an entity and lower it from 'divine' to 'human' and invite that anyone else who claims to have revelations must be taken at face value. An appropriate structure is necessary to channel just claims of revelation in order to avoid a, 'Cleanse the unbeliever' movement.

I'm not assigning any anthropomorphic aspects to anything? Why would a Divine being be lessened in any way by sending something like Jesus to see whats up with things?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Because everything in this world, so far as we can tell, obeys a natural process. Everything.

The thing about miracles, is that they either tend not to exist, or have an actual natural explanation. This has happened time and time again, there has never been a 'verified' miracle.

Its about as bad as getting a hearth transplant and claiming that all the work of all the surgeons and nurses was simply a miracle of god.

I'm really not that surprised that went over your head but please think about what I said.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Claiming that I just failed to understand does not invalidate my argument.

You are claiming miracles are real things and god reveals himself to people, but you have neither the evidence nor the history to back these claims.

Its too provincial. Its another ethnocentrism: We're super important, that a single diety relates personally to us. It makes no sense in the scale of both reality and the universe at large.

Yeah it does dude. You're talking out your rear end and you know it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Its too provincial. Its another ethnocentrism: We're super important, that a single diety relates personally to us. It makes no sense in the scale of both reality and the universe at large.

Why would a creator be limited to relating to a single thing? I don't think you really understand what God is to a lot of people.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Based on...?

The fact that you think saying, why would a all powerful omnipotent being only pay attention to a single aspect of his creation, is a good counter argument.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

I think you don't understand why its an ethnocentrism.

Why is Earth so important? Why is it just 'People' that are important? Why only this planet and its provincial state?

Also, based on your posting history, I'm going to assume you like making bad faith arguments.

My point is that you're dumb as hell and don't understand the implications of God.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Paul MaudDib posted:

What God really is to a lot of people is a blank slate upon which they can project all their fears and uncertainty and negative circumstances, and gain reassurance, meaning, etc.

Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.

You and him don't understand or care to understand the other side of this argument at all because you are stupid.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

:qq: You just don't UNDERSTAND, maaaan

You're argument is that it's insane for something like God to pay attention only to us.
My argument is that something like God wouldn't be limited like that and it's really loving stupid to think so for a lot of reasons.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

By assigning distinctly human characteristics and concepts like 'focus' and "pay[ing] attention" you are implicity degrading that which is divine by making it comprehensible.

I'm using language to make it easier for others to understand with the implicit expectation that most people aren't pedantic assholes.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

And yet based on the faiths that uphold the idea of a 'god', that is exactly what is going on.

You don't know what your talking about.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

By calling people stupid. Philosopher of the year, right here.

You're freaking dumb as hell dude.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're arguing that you can discern the nature of god. His argument is that he cannot understand god, and therefore you must follow some limitations on human freedom in order to avoid political conflicts over something which is impossible to perceive.

My argument is that I don't but using human limitations to disprove it is stupid.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Based entirely upon your 'wonderful' debating skills and your post history, neither do you.

Go read Genesis. The Bible, among other books, specifically emphasizes the focus upon ONLY the Earth, and the creation of life upon ONLY the Earth.

Philosopher of the CENTURY!

Oh man, it's almost like our entire history is based on earth or something.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

What's the philosophical framework that leads to Christianity (or any faith) being something that must be disproven as opposed to being demonstrated as factual?

I'm just asking questions here.

Faith?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

You know we have telescopes, right? That we are well aware that there is an external history outside of Earth that makes it pretty clear that the Earth bound religions have very little grasp on the actual nature of nature, and for that matter reality.

"You can't DISPROVE god, godless liberal" :smuggo:

What, did you watch 'God's Not Dead' before posting here?

I'm sorry God exists dude, but when has religion explicitly claimed that we are it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

OK, well in what way is that not a circular argument? Are you saying people are born with inherent faith, and that that faith means something? Or are you saying that the onset of faith is a manifestation of the existence of a supernatural power?

I'm saying that the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who said I was disproving god? I'm saying you're contemptable by presuming yourself special enough to discern the nature of the divine realm, and you're saying "gently caress you maybe I can who are you to say I can't."

The most appropriate way to honor god is to respect god's place as incomprehensible to human perception. To attempt anything else, has bad implications for political development and social order.

I'm not and you still don't understand what I'm talking about and I literally do submit to Gods place as the end all be all of everything.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

We aren't expecting it in abundance dude.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Miltank posted:

Wanting to factually prove God completely misses the point.

Yeah.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Then why expect any god at all?

Oh, right, faith.

Yeah.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

I agree; true absence of evidence isn't evidence of anything.

I repeat the question: in what sense is the existence of faith, or the fact that some people profess their faith, a state of affairs that makes the object of faith - something without any other tangible nature - a body of assertions that requires no other evidence to be supposed true unless proven false?

Human institutions of religion are fallible?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

However, that does not make your argument nor your premise solid. Yes, we cannot disprove god.

However, no more can we disprove him than you can prove him. Its a null.

But YOU came in hear screaming about 'God is real' and then god uppity when we suggested that faith is not sufficient evidence.

They are based on faith. They are non-falsifiable.

I'm sorry for being an uppity minority dude. But I'm just saying you don't understand what you're talking about and should stop maybe.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

Yes, that's what I meant when I said "I don't understand." I asked how the reasoning works around faith being the reason that the object(s) of faith are to be taken as true unless proven otherwise. I asked only because that's what drilldo squirt said; maybe I misunderstood that too, but his laconic answers didn't provide a lot of information.

[edit] maybe the answer is "because that's the definition of the word faith", and I accept that, but I don't know what that means for people who don't have the same faith.

The answer is because that's the definition of the word faith.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Rodatose posted:

Having a testable basis for material action. "Render unto caesar what's caesar's" and all that: don't base material policy on immaterial things. You can follow and wholeheartedly subscribe unproveable abstract things in your private life but once you start asking material things of others, you need to prove there will be a fair, equitable reward for them and their loved ones. If you can't prove it, you're writing people a blank check and relying on psychological coercion.

It's like you guys are robots.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Here's the root of the problem in this debate:

Drilldo Squirt entered the debate and declared

And then called people stupid for DARING to question the reality of his god outside of his personal faith.

Arguments created by the movie God is not Dead actually don't hold much water.

I'm calling you and that other guy stupid for using terrible arguments that make no sense if you have any idea what you are talking about.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
God being real is just a bonus.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

Well I can understand why it must seem like that, but please consider that the reliance on faith seems pretty robotic to those who don't have it.

[edit] I do agree with your point that using evidence from radio telescopes and deep-sea probes and core samples as a way of dissuading you (or anybody) from serious faith is, well, a little rude and probably pointless.

It misses the point.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emfive posted:

To be fair, in my experience lots of religious people have negative views of the irreligious that distort their perceptions as well.

I don't think that the impulse of an atheist to "convert" a Christian is meaningfully different from a Christian's attempt to convert an atheist, in other words.

It's super annoying.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Its almost like there's not reason for them to have a negative view of most religions :allears:

I don't know about most people but for you it's because you are very insecure in yourself and seeing other people as sheep helps.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Did I call you a sheep? No. I asked you why you are calling us stupid for not accepting your premise without your personal faith.

EXPLOSIONS! God is real! EXPLOSIONS!

I'm calling you stupid for other reasons dude, read the thread please.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Yeah.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

"God is Real. Deal with it DnD" is still his opening salvo.

And we're stupid for not accepting it. Right.

Man, if only we had your FAITH :qq:

You're really stupid dude.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

down with slavery posted:

I took the time to explain to you a few times why what you're doing is stupid. It was a joke post, obviously tongue in cheek, probably for the sole purpose of dragging idiots like you out of the wordwork.

Well isn't that a nice way of saying "I was wrong, but let me redefine the word to make myself right"

I actually believe in submission to God.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Rodatose posted:

What side would jesus christ take on the gamer gate issue

All Jesus want's is ethics in video game journalism.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ThirdPartyView posted:

D&D truly is the easiest forum to troll.

Shut the gently caress up dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Truly, I guess we all showed up under the assumption that someone actually wanted to debate and discuss...

I'd love to debate and discuss this with you but you don't seem like you know what your talking about and lash out whenever you are called on it.

• Locked thread