Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

This thread is for discussing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Incarnation, the Son of Man, the Word, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord, the Light of the World, the Resurrection, the King of the Jews, the Messiah, the Savior, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Just to get it out of the way right now, I am posting this completely without irony. I literally believe in Jesus Christ with every fiber of my being, and there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about him. I do not in any way envy the lives of those who live without Christ; I have done my time without him, and I will never go back to that.

I go to church, and so should you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7GXu2KOmQ

The reason Christ matters more than anything else, and is in fact the only thing that matters, is that he is the only hope for your salvation. Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

Behold the truth: That only God, who created the world, and has seen every life and knows every thought, can absolve you of your sins. Only his ineffable wisdom, his stern judgment, and his infinite mercy, can bring you from the brink of self-destruction, and help you to achieve your true self.

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ. The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ. There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ. You have to take him seriously. You don't have a choice.

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

e: The man took down my song, so here's a suitable replacement.

Really late to the discussion, but I have to dispute this. I am Jewish but went to a Catholic University, with mandatory study of the New Testament each semester. I have read the entire Christian Bible many times, but do not see a strong connection between the "Old Testament," (Jewish Torah and Tanakh) and the "New Testament." One of the things I respected the most about my University was that we studied the inconsistencies among the Four Gospels of the New Testament and the fact that they were written 200 - 300 years after the alleged time of Jesus. I understand Christianity as an Apocalyptic Religion primarily based against the Roman domination of Judea. Once the Roman Emperor Constantine made it the official Religion of Rome, it changed - one of the greatest shifts was blaming the Jews for Jesus's death instead of the original blame on the Romans. The Gospel of Matthew, the least connected to the other 3, states the Jews gathered at Pontius Pilates's decision said 'His blood is on us and on our children' - as if this could justify centuries of persecution of the Jews by Christians. How could a small group of any Religion take on the crime of "Deicide" onto the whole Religion - however, this was used against Jews up to the 18th and 19th centuries!

The Papacy, and the many pagan traditions incorporated into the Religion from Easter (rabbits and eggs being fertility symbols and a direct replacement on the calender to Passover) to Christmas (the Roman Saturnalia, including pagan celebrations involving pine trees and gifts) were added after the Gospels. Judaism does not have an explicit heaven or hell, life on earth is most important. Christianity rewards belief with everlasting pleasure in heaven or eternal punishment in hell with a Judgement Day where the Earth will be destroyed. The "Old Testament" does not suggest that G-D hates or is ashamed of Creation - so why would it be destroyed? I cannot see this as a legitimate successor to Judaism. I have never met a Christan who followed the doctrines of "turn the other cheek," "love thy enemy," and "the meek shall inherit the earth." Judaism has no such precepts, only asking that we respect all Humans as part of G-D's creation. Judaism is only a Religion for the Jews - all people can reach and have a relationship with G-D. Jews have a unique relationship with G-D, but it is no better than any other peoples'. This is why Judaism doesn't try to convert people unlike it's "successor" Christianity.

Enophos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

TwoQuestions posted:

Don't take OP's religion too seriously; it's just a means to punish himself and other people. To him (as far as I can tell), it's not "How to Become a Better Person, the Book" it's "Why You and Everyone Like You Goes to Hell and There's Nothing You Can Do About It".

Thanks for your feedback - a lot of Christians I know have a weird drive to self castigate.

• Locked thread