Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ThirdPartyView posted:

Is it true that "Personal Jesus" is the official Catholic theme song?

No, you're thinking of the song "Plastic Jesus."

Kyrie eleison posted:

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

If the only thing that matters is Jesus Christ, why does the Catholic church spend so much effort on the veneration of Mary and the various church saints? Don't things like this distract from the pure worship of the Lord?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

emfive posted:

A thing that for serious puzzles me is how a non-Christian normal person undergoes "conversion" nowadays. I mean, to just decide to start believing a bunch of stuff that somebody explains, no matter how weird it sounds, and then to just accept it as real, well it seems odd and I honestly wonder what sort of experience that would be.

Some people have literal visions. See, for example http://www.scifiwright.com/2011/09/a-question-i-never-tire-of-answering/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Crowsbeak posted:

I know that helping people is what is expected if me beyond all else and that I should not stop in the face of adversity in helping people.

Good for you, and I mean that seriously. I think we all (well, most of us, anyway) try to do the best we can. Some of us just try to help other people for reasons that have little or nothing to do with religion.

edit: on Jesus and the homeless:

quote:

Some in the community disagree with the message the statue sends. "Jesus is not a vagrant, Jesus is not a helpless person who needs our help," Cindy Castano Swannack, who called police after seeing the statue, told WCNC. "We need someone who is capable of meeting our needs, not someone who is also needy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/17/homeless-jesus-sculpture-davidson_n_5167418.html

But, then again,

quote:

The most high-profile installation of the bronze Jesus on a park bench will be on the Via della Conciliazione, the avenue leading to St. Peter's Basilica — if the city of Rome approves it. Schmalz traveled to the Vatican last November to present a miniature to the pope himself.

"He walked over to the sculpture, and it was just chilling because he touched the knee of the Jesus the Homeless sculpture, and closed his eyes and prayed," Schmalz says. "It was like, that's what he's doing throughout the whole world: Pope Francis is reaching out to the marginalized."

Back at St. Alban's in Davidson, the rector reports that the Jesus the Homeless statue has earned more followers than detractors. It is now common, he says, to see people come, sit on the bench, rest their hand on the bronze feet and pray.

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/13/302019921/statue-of-a-homeless-jesus-startles-a-wealthy-community

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 17, 2014

• Locked thread