Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

But studies have shown that religion tends to make people happier.

Happy people don't shoot up churches composed of a different race than themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Umm... Are you suggesting that racist dude was religiously motivated as he shot up a church. His manifesto makes clear he was motivated by racism, which is in contradiction with traditional Christian views on race

Do you know how to read English?

That guy was religious, yet clearly unhappy. Full stop, that's the end of the point.

EDIT: The God of the Bible (and by extension, Jesus, which are incidentally two utterly different beings when you compare the actual content of the Bible to the being Christians claim to worship) is an absolutely monstrous dick that makes Zeus look good. And Zeus was a literal mass rapist and child killer.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes everyone knows about that. That was in the 1860s and is not really traditional Christianity. It is a warped version that deviates from both the early church and what he would hear at a Lutheran church today.

(With regards to race I mean, not interested in a technical discussion on slavery, which in the old days was more of a business relationship than a racial thing, also wouldn't be taught from a Lutheran church today)

Anyway Dylann Roof never mentioned Christianity and would not have been taught racism in his church. It is clear from his manifesto he learned it from online forums

So moving the goal posts is going to be the order of the day? Fine. Hell, forget about Dylann Roof specifically, what about any of the 115 shootings that occurred in churches in 2012 that were related to domestic violence issues that spilled over into the congregation?

Oh wait, you're going to argue that No True Christian would abuse their spouse, in spite of the rampant and well known history of Christian pastors advocating exactly that. We even had a thread in GBS about the church that tried to put a "Christian Bondage" spin on spousal abuse that made Fifty Shades of Grey look tame by comparison.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Uh I'm not moving the goal posts, you clearly are... I guess by your not arguing otherwise, you are basically conceding that Dylann Roof did not do what he did because of religion.

Also spousal abuse, which is not even slightly related to the subject at hand, is not in accordance with the teachings and values of traditional Christianity.

I never said Dylann Roof did what he did because of religion. You're moving the goal posts by making a counter-argument to something I never said.

You claimed religious people are happier than non-religious people, I provided a clear example where that wasn't true, and you went on to argue about whether or not religion was directly responsible for Dylann Roof's actions.

Do you not see the leap in logic you made?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

You have not sufficiently demonstrated that he is religious or that he is unhappy, and your choice to mention him of all people was clearly implying something about his motives. Nor would one particular example disprove the general statistical trend.

You're the one that went specifically to Dylann Roof, I was talking about the plethora of church shooters in aggregate. Easy mistake since he's the most recent, but it's not like it's an uncommon occurrence either.

Wade Wilson posted:

Happy people don't shoot up churches composed of a different race than themselves.

Unless you're going to posit that shooting people of a different race is something positive that can make someone happy?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Tell me more about ethics in Christian dogma.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Fiftieth year, because slaves that lived that long deserved a break I guess.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CommieGIR posted:

This kinda flies in the face of claiming Jesus fulfilled the law of the Old Testament.

What context? That God promises not to flood the Earth anymore, or commit baby genocides? THANKS GOD! Awesome metaphors and context clues!

To be fair, without the Old Testament we wouldn't have the verse where God cops to creating Evil in Isaiah 45:7.

I just don't understand why Christians go through so many mental loops to try and claim God isn't an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Oh wait, that isn't "traditional Christianity" either, probably.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 24, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You often hear the religious talk about God's Plan but that we simple mortals can't know what it is. Do they ever try to take a stab at it though? Are there any good theologians that have attempted a guess at what (the Judeo-Christian) God's plan is? That is something I would love to read.

The ones that have tend to turn into terrible people. Like noted child molester Finis Dake, after he spent an exhaustive amount of time putting together a reference bible that outlines just how big a dick God is if you take the scriptures at face value.

If you don't care about that, you can get some interesting stuff out of this at any rate: http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Plan-Man...an+for+man+dake

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Thanks for that quick reply. I'm not sure I want to give money to a noted child molester though. Would you be willing to paraphrase the book into "This guy thinks God's plan is ---"?

God's Plan is "gently caress you, I do what I want and if you don't love me and worship everything I do unconditionally and mean it you'll burn for eternity in a burning lake of fire with maggots continuously eating your flesh, yet not consuming you."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The majority of the book is "Show, not Tell", but yeah. It gives a bunch of instances of God doing whatever he wants throughout the Old and New Testaments, brutally punishing those that object and only rewarding those that do what he says without question.

And there are entire denominations of Christianity that read the Bible exactly that way. It's why that "Will You Be Eaten First" parody tract is so amazing.

The real kicker is the dissonance brought about by lines about God loving humanity while also constantly kicking the poo poo out of it. Unless you accept the idea that an abusive person actually loves the target of their abuse.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

This seems more like it's trying to answer "What does God want us to do?" rather than "What is God doing?"

The answer there is "Whatever he wants, because he can."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Who What Now posted:

Isn't a big thing about Christianity that all people are equal in their sin and that feelings are equally sinful as actions? So anyone who has ever felt lust has raped and anyone who has ever felt anger has murdered.

Yep. This is a big thing in Fundamentalist churches, which is why they're so angry at everyone and consumed with self-loathing all the time I think.

They literally believe divine intervention is the only thing keeping them from being mass rapist/murderer/child molestors. Ever hear someone say "There but for the Grace of God go I" in reference to someone doing something terrible or being in a terrible situation? That's where it comes from.

People literally cannot help but do horrible things to each other, so beg God for help to be a good person because you can't do it on your own.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lampsacus posted:

me:so say you stopped believing in God. would you change your morality or behaviour?
friend:absolutely.
me:no I think you are better than that.
friend:
me:you are a good person.

Yeah, there are few things more horrifying than people that straight up tell you the only reason they aren't raping/murdering you is because they believe an immortal police officer will torture them for eternity if they do.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Michael Jackson posted:

there are sins that can be forgiven, there are sins that cannot be forgiven. i propose that there are 2 categories of sin and not all sin are equal cos they be saying it. they dont think it do but it are what it is.

Yeah, but the only one listed as being unforgivable is Blaspheming the Holy Ghost, whatever that means.

I hope that means every single Televangelist Pentecostal type is going to Hell for faking glossolalia or whatever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Miltank posted:

It means no such thing.

That is actually literally a thing Jesus is reported as saying in John 16:7.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Miltank posted:

Jesus sends the Holy Spirit and it speaks his words- not really sure how that makes him the lesser of the two.

Sorry, it's a King James fundamentalist thing (part of the reason they hate other versions of the Bible is they down play the Holy Ghost).

There are a bunch of sermons and web pages about it out there.

Also, books on the subject are all over the place, but this one has one of the most direct titles.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Michael Jackson posted:

29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Here is what makes a difference.
Person A believes that the Holy Ghost (Spirit) is a sentient separate being from Jesus and Jehova (Lord Almighty).
Person B believes that the Holy Ghost (Spirit) is from Jehova (Lord Almighty) and is the power God is using and giving to others for its purpose.

These interpretations means a lot of things in the bible can be seen in different lights.
It wasnt until the fourth century that the Godhead became official dogma though.

Yeah, it was something about calling something God did a Bad Thing because of a claim that an Apostle drove out demons by the power of another demon or something.

So basically anyone that says God is a Monster for literally murdering babies or creating creatures that exist only to inflict pain on human beings (like the Loa loa parasites that can only survive in the eyeballs of their victims) is going to Hell, never passing Go, never collecting Grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Miltank posted:

Actually, that was God the Father and the Holy Spirit is something different.

Not for the mind-looping people that try to claim the whole Three-in-One God stuff (where the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are essentially split personalities of the same deity, without the negative connotations that brings).

• Locked thread