Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
John Calvin was right about almost everything except there probably is no hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Total depravity
Unconditional election
Limited atonement
Irresistible grace
Perseverance of the saints

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Wanting to factually prove God completely misses the point.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

emfive posted:

I apologize for being confused, but I don't think I understand what you mean.

you don't understand.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a fallacy, though. A placebo can have a substantial medical effect on a believer, even though it has no actual medical effect whatsoever. For many people, believing something will have an effect literally makes it so - completely independent of the existence of any deity.

How do you measure the spiritual effect of a consecrated Eucharist versus a plain cracker served during a mass? How would that compare to a humanistic control act, say some kind of community service that builds a similar emotional connection?

In a sense religion is actually a rather selfish system since it's tying the "feel-good community bonding" experience to meaningless rituals rather than things that actually effect positive change in people's lives. Humanity would be better off with people giving an hour of community service every week instead of sitting in gilded buildings and jerking themselves off about how great they are. In terms of helping the needy and the poor - some of the core tenents of christiantiy - going to church is effectively and morally equivalent to sitting at home playing nintendo, or taking MDMA. It pushes your brain's buttons, but it's ultimately false and self-indulgent.
This is a masturbatory bunch of nonsense.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 17, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Do you even know what a hospice is?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

NORMAL Hospice involves pain relief and treatment regardless of end-of-life status.

Telling your patients that their suffering is 'bringing them closer to god' does not a hospice make. Failing to provide pain relief basically makes you less a hospice, more a bed and breakfast for the dying.

Massages do not count as relief.

hmmmm, nope. ripping on mother teresa still making you look like a dipshit.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

down with slavery posted:

welcome to /r/atheism everybody

Mother Teresa was a typical catholic BITCH who ran underfunded hospices for the underclass of the world

e: look at this quote from a doctor who says that her Calcutta hospice had unsanitary conditions!!!

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

itsnice2bnice posted:

On SA this probably comes across as passive aggressive, but I sincerely hope that people who have such an incredibly low opinion of Mother Teresa and her charitable work strive and succeed in making the world a better place for the poor and destitute themselves. God Bless.

Atheists love turning Mother Teresa into a villain so they can justify their own inaction regarding the weakest. These are people who argue that the poor ought to die alone in the streets because simply loving them isn't enough. Teresa was a terrible sinner I'm sure- as we all are, but this movement to demonizer her is pretty much just plain evil and it is telling that Christopher Hitchens is foremost among her detractors.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Demonize? No, I don't want to demonize her. While her work is commendable, there are glaring issues as to why she couldn't be more effective. That's all.

But specifically lashing out at people who raise criticism of her work is no better than labeling any critical of Israel an anti-semite.

SedanChair posted:

:lol: people who believe that Teresa was anything other than a death fetishist who felt a thrill in her clitoris when a starving old man checked out looking into her eyes. But she was so famous!

:allears::allears::allears:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Some posts aren't about you.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

No, but your repeated follow ups of any criticism of her has been:

Criticizing Mother Teresa does make you a dipshit. Ultimately, you are criticizing her for being a famous Christian who didn't dedicate her life to charity good enough.

GlyphGryph posted:

Other Catholics in the thread who have seen the light, feel free to speak up as well. Miltank, maybe? Don't actually know what you are.

I'm a non-trad Calvinist.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 17, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

A well grounded argumentTM

Isn't that your criticism of her? That this woman who lived a life of poverty and charity for some of the least regarded humans on the planet didn't do a good enough job at it?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Name some. I mean, yes, you have Stalin, but even he eventually let up on the Churches during World War 2. But who else?

Mao, Kim, Pol Pot..

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

I really don't think it's fair to include state-cults where the leader substituted for God as "atheist"

I literally don't think its fair to include non-egalitarian societies as christian.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Well, Christianity has been mobbed up with the state since the days of Constantine at least. Jehovah's Witnesses call the resultant ungainly beast "Christendom" and I think it is definitely worth making the distinction.

But you make a good point, I don't think there have been any hippie Jesus communes that killed in his name.

Speaking of Hitchens being retarded, I think it was him who said or repeated "it takes religion to make a good person do something bad." That is such an embarrassingly wrong assertion that it really tells you how blinded he was by resentment.

I reject the authority of the Council of Nicaea.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Well then not to be unkind, but I wonder how relevant you are to the discussion of what people and societies are or are not Christian.

I figure I'm at least as relevant as an athiest :greenangel:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Mormons are not Christians- its the one thing all Christians can agree on.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Mormons are more like Muslims than anything else.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Nah, Brandor thinks that God (Logos) is a set of magic words (Logos) and concepts (Logos) and his definition(Logos) of these words (Logos) and concepts (Logos) is so uselessly broad that literally everything someone (Logos) likes is their God (Logos) and also his God (Logos) and the ultimate God (Logos). I don't think he's concerned about Satan except concerning some peoples concept (Logos) of Satan (Logos).

We all worship something.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I had no idea that Hayek said that economic theology thing. That is crazy self aware from someone who played such a large role in conservative thought.

e: rational wiki is really dorky

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 18, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
circumventing christianity for judaism is a really bad idea considering how much more bullshit jews have to do. Christianity is p. much the easy mode of Abrahamic religions.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Brandor is your argument that religion is ideology and ideology is an inescapable cultural constant? Or is it something more complex than that?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I bought a copy of Bonhoeffer's Letters and Papers From Prison and I can't wait to read it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Any god but God is false by definition because God is the truth.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Just think about it logically. If God wasn't God, then he would just be a god and some other god would be God who would be truth. But since God is truth we know that God, (not a god) is God.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

My god is the words "Zionism is racism"

those words, being true, are an aspect of God.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
God has divinely elected that newts can grow back their tails, yes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Well it doesn't matter whether or not you believe Jeff is guilty because God isn't anything like that scenario. God both starts the train and ensures that there is only one track filled with infinite babies and also he set the train on fire and filled it with infinite puppies he wanted to see burn to death while on a train that was running over babies.

Luckily, the world has already been redeemed by the death of Christ.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Evangelicals are wrong about many things.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

How does the story actually make any sense? I mean, God sacrificed Himself to Himself to give Himself a loophole through which he could cheat people into heaven? That makes it seem like God is subject to certain laws of goodness outside of his control.

This is the great Catholic heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOUGR1SsTD0

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Nope, that doesn't make them a church. You are making assumptions that reason and nature are religious in order.

Nature is certainly a religious concept. It is something our culture believes in and values despite the fact that it objectively doesn't exist.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Trees exist and so does grass and deer. That doesn't mean nature is real though.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 25, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Take the loving metaphysics elsewhere. You KNOW that is not what the FFRF is talking about. That is a bad faith argument if ever I heard one.

There is no functional system that can be called nature- it is all chaos. The distinction which nature suggests between "us" and "everything else" is entirely arbitrary.

e: "Nature as our real creator", that is religion plain and simple.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 25, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck:

Also: Nature is not chaos, there is an ordered system in nature overall, despite having the appearance of chaos. Nature is a word used to describe the interactions of multiple natural systems.

Its literally the opposite. An appearance of order where there is actually chaos.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

The FFRF was not using the metaphysics definition of nature. Therefore, its really poor debating to bring it up. Since we are arguing about the FFRF article, its pertinent we frame it as such.

quote:

"Let's reinvent a reverence for our real creator, Nature
What does 'nature' mean according to you in this quote?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think you quite grasp this yet: Nature has the appearance of chaos, but in actuality is still a deterministic system. The APPEARANCE of chaos does not imply no order, simply an order that is not yet clearly defined or cannot be defined outside of a set period of time.

Your definition of order would be useless even if this were true.

CommieGIR posted:

You can have reverence for the natural world without religious belief. The same feelings religion evokes: Awe, Humility, and compassion can be evoked just as easily buy studying the physical.

Trying to twist that into: "Well, its a religion" is trying hard to imply a theistic belief where none is needed nor found.

You don't understand that the 'natural world' is a human construct the same way religion is. Nature as a concept is just the distinction of all other poo poo on the planet as separate from us. You can't have reverence for a human construction while at the same time claiming rationality.

You can claim that naturalism or whatever you want to call it is harmless or positive but don't pretend its not magical thinking.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 25, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

No, its not.

We didn't invent nature, we are more an invention of nature. Seriously, you'd have to throw out the Theory of Evolution and all of Biology to make that argument stick.

'Nature' as it is used means specifically what we are not. The fallacy isn't that the 'natural' world exists, it is that we are somehow separated from it. We are not an invention or creation of nature, we are and everything we do still is nature.

e: skyscrapers and garbage dumps are just as 'natural' as forests and rivers.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 25, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, they are natural. But while we created the meaning of 'nature' and defined the word 'nature', any other species could come along and create a word to describe the natural phenomenon without any need for it to be religious or metaphysical.

What does some other species have to do with the FFRF using nature as religion? I think I might not be tracking your argument here.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Because they are not using nature as a religion, anymore than any other species that might observe Earth bound natural biology to be religious.

Aliens wouldn't conceptualize nature in an irrational way and therefore neither do atheists. :smugbird:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread