Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

BrandorKP posted:

It's a more a Protestant thing. Luther makes the categories absolute: One is utterly separated from God by sin. One is completely saved by (united with) God by grace. The Catholics have a hierarchy, some sins are worse than others, the degree that a sin separates one can be more or less, depending on what it is.

To nitpick a little, the protestant belief (or at least Lutheran) is not that murder equals slander or something like that but that God and sin don't match at all. There's just no point in categorizing sins, or comparing them when it comes to the relationship of people and God. What sin does to us is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I recall being taught that as part of my Catholic schoolboy upbringing. And it really puts you in a tough spot. Just one little stray thought, maybe not even intentional, but you could easily think it just because the idea of thinking it is on your mind because you're trying NOT to think it, and if you slip up, you're definitively hosed. Just one stray thought. It's like...

How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to eradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?

That's some weird way to interpret that part. Stray thoughts? Generally, the rule of the thumb I've been taught in multiple occations is that if you're worried about Blaspheming the Holy Ghost (interesting translation there, I wonder what is the original word...), you have nothing to worry about.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

I like the phrase "Sin is a state before it is an act", I also like "Sin is separation". And I love this sermon and post it every chance I get.

http://media.sabda.org/alkitab-2/Re...zoom=auto,0,792

That IS really good a sermon. It's wordy but in that case words are needed. Bookmarked. :D

• Locked thread