Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

This thread is for discussing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Incarnation, the Son of Man, the Word, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord, the Light of the World, the Resurrection, the King of the Jews, the Messiah, the Savior, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Just to get it out of the way right now, I am posting this completely without irony. I literally believe in Jesus Christ with every fiber of my being, and there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about him. I do not in any way envy the lives of those who live without Christ; I have done my time without him, and I will never go back to that.

I go to church, and so should you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj3HyL_6J0

The reason Christ matters more than anything else, and is in fact the only thing that matters, is that he is the only hope for your salvation. Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

Behold the truth: That only God, who created the world, and has seen every life and knows every thought, can absolve you of your sins. Only his ineffable wisdom, his stern judgment, and his infinite mercy, can bring you from the brink of self-destruction, and help you to achieve your true self.

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ. The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ. There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ. You have to take him seriously. You don't have a choice.

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

I don't think you really believe in Jesus Christ. Oh sure, you believe in songs and feeling nice. But when it comes to the hard stuff Jesus told us to do, he seems to have few followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AShamefulDisplay posted:

For real though why did Jesus wither the fig tree. Dumbass should have known that figs were out of season.

He was fully a man in addition to being fully God. You're telling me you've never been cranky-hungry? Take the beam from thine own eye.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Remind me Kyrie, do you believe in literal demons and witchcraft, or am I confusing you with another zealot?

He has to if he's a Catholic. Although we've already established in previous threads that he's a heretic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Kyrie you had hosed off back to despising yourself by the time I posted this in the last thread but I think you'd do well to understand it:

SedanChair posted:

However, just about everything tacked on in addition to Q was the ravings of a desert Steve Jobs and his apocalyptic cult. All the real heirs of the Master who understood the meaning of his teachings (like those who wrote Didache) got rubbed out before the Catholic Church came on the scene. The Church is the legacy of the cult, not of the Master, and has all the moral wisdom and coherency of the Nation of Gods and Earths.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Pilate said "what is truth?" and Jesus couldn't think of poo poo to say

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:lol: people who believe that Teresa was anything other than a death fetishist who felt a thrill in her clitoris when a starving old man checked out looking into her eyes. But she was so famous!

:allears::allears::allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

That gospel starts by answering that question explicitly and has Jesus answer that question explicitly.

Which is like when you're playing the dozens and think of a comeback 20 minutes later. Doesn't count

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's just coming up with stuff. Bacon said Pilate would not stay for an answer, but maybe he did. The mystical, insubstantial truth as represented by what Jesus said to the apostles wouldn't have made any sense to Pilate, and not because he was inured to it, because it's mystical hogwash in contrast to anything the dimly seen Master of the earliest texts would have said.

She was a bad person, a Mengele in her thirst to witness human suffering. Is that controversial?

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Vitriol is only out of place where it says things that aren't true. Dawkins and Hitchens both got out of their depth when they were hating Islam, but just because Hitchens noticed that Teresa was worse than a murdering "mercy killing" nurse doesn't mean the rest of us are forbidden from noticing it.

Effectronica posted:

You're appearing to carry a grudge against a man who died in terrible agony almost two thousand years ago. About the only thing more pathetic, IMO, is lying about yourself to win politics arguments on the internet.

Oh now what would that be a reference to?

In any case I'm not bearing a grudge, again we are faced with the gap between Jesus and his followers, and I am pointing out that the gap began as soon as they began to write the stories down, turn them into myths, and attempt to reconcile them with earthly powers.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

I don't know what you're coyly referring to, but yeah, you were pretty much joyfully cackling over the agent of a brutal, genocidal state owning the poo poo out of this mystic because the followers of that mystic's message have done lovely things over the years, unlike the people who admire the brutal, genocidal state.

You're the one talking about people lying about themselves. I'm afraid I don't understand the reference?

In any case, yes, please let that be the extent of your understanding, that I was cackling about Pilate. But why would I gloat about the death of a man when there's not even any good documentation of when or how his death occurred?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

What reference? I don't think you read the post where I called you pathetic, though, or else you wouldn't be asking such stupid questions.

I quoted you:

Effectronica posted:

You're appearing to carry a grudge against a man who died in terrible agony almost two thousand years ago. About the only thing more pathetic, IMO, is lying about yourself to win politics arguments on the internet.

Can you explain what the bolded part of your comment is a reference to?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

What the gently caress are you on about?

Who is "lying about themselves to win arguments on the internet"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Lots of people! Jesus, you're freaking paranoid!

What is the connection to what we were discussing?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

What on earth is this about? Is this a game of twenty questions? Because you're a quarter of the way through.

I literally am asking you "can you explain this thing you said?"

This thing:

Effectronica posted:

I understand that you are trying to paint me as an edgy atheist who has a grudge against Jesus. But what is the bolded sentence a reference to? Is it completely random? Why did you mention it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

You're a paranoid lunatic and I don't think you should be posting on the internet like this, without the benefit of psychotherapy and antipsychotics.

I still don't understand, you haven't said anything to explain the comment you made. What did you mean by it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Why is this so important to you? It's a simple comment I used as a yardstick to measure patheticness. Do you think it's not pathetic? Because I have a new yardstick I can use that's even better.

Oh, it was a completely random reference. How confusing! Maybe you should pick ways of communicating other than calling people pathetic and likening their behavior to unrelated behavior, then freaking out. That's just advice by the way. Don't feel constrained by it. Chase your dream buddy. Do your thing.

Who What Now posted:

Also the Catholic Church is a criminal organization that protects numerous known pedophiles from being prosecuted and no amount of good that they ever do will outweigh that.

The Second Mile was objectively a more ethical organization than the Catholic Church. It completed its highly ethical practices by disbanding itself when the extent of its enabling of criminal activities came to light.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Why don't you come out and accuse me of whatever it is you're implying? Are you really too cowardly to confront someone directly over text? Afraid I really am an accomplished demonologist and practitioner in the Western Magical Tradition, and could zap you with a spell of impotence (probably a waste) if you did?

I wasn't accusing you of anything, you seemed to be making a claim of some kind. You're now saying that it was completely random, so never mind. It kind of makes sense now that I realize how truly random and angry your attacks are. Pathetic, impotent etc. I get it, you're unbalanced. So there's nothing else to discuss, is there? Except, you know, the topic. For example!

Effectronica posted:

Fine. I think that the sort of aggressive atheism on display is calculated to reinforce beliefs about how negative religion is by ensuring anyone that's religious is alienated and people that aren't religious or in line with this sort of adolescent behavior are either shut up or treated as religious fifth columnists in atheism. I think that the world will be a better place when your kind of behavior is eliminated in ostensible adults.

We tried this, but nowadays there are scant public funds to retain official torturers and executioners as we had in the days you long to return to.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

I think recent history demonstrates adequately that an avowedly irreligious state is just as capable of torturing and killing the heretic as any religious state.

But those were good guys. We killed bad guys.

e: the commonality is angry, shouty people like Effectronica who can't stand being in the same room with a heretic, it seems.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Abe Lincoln, wow yeah there was a man who took solace in the mysteries of the cosmos. There was a man who believed in God.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hey now--we both know this isn't true. There are always funds available for more torture and repression, depending upon your skills to play off circumstances to shift the target for surpression.

We have more cost-effective systems in place than outright torture and repression; when an individual falls through the gaps in those systems, that's when force is used to ensure compliance. The focus must be upon strengthening those systems to prevent individuals from choosing actions which comply the use of force against them, rather than the current and historical use of religion to force compliance first and foremost with systems emerging from homogeneous populations with high rates of collective efficacy, because the former is much quicker and much less rapey than the latter.

Clearly these more subtle and cost-effective systems aren't doing their jobs then, because I have to listen to atheists call religion stupid :qq:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Do you have strong evidence that Lincoln was an atheist, rather than the Deist so many other Americans of his time were, given that his personal letters disclaim belief in organized religion rather than in spirituality as a whole?

"Deism" is code for "atheism is impolite" hth

quote:

Do you recognize that Lincoln is one example, and that you can present hundreds of highly intelligent people who had religious convictions who work just as well for pointing out how arrogant claiming to be smarter than all religious people because of your atheism is?

Smart people believe irrational things sometimes. It's not just religion. Me recognizing them as irrational in some matter or other doesn't mean I'm smarter than them. I'm not going to regard myself as smarter than a theoretical physicist just because they believe in chiropractic. However, I'm not going to take their belief as evidence of the legitimacy of chiropractic either.

And when it comes to cosmic matters, the permanence of death and one's own insignificance, no wonder people cop out. Heck I wish I could just have a big religious hallucination and cop out myself. That'd feel nice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Cool. I'm not talking about you. Shut up and go back to whatever paranoia you were engaging in earlier.

But you were talking directly to me, you impolite person.

Are you really a Christian? If so you are a poo poo representative.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Mao, Kim, Pol Pot..

I really don't think it's fair to include state-cults where the leader substituted for God as "atheist"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

I literally don't think its fair to include non-egalitarian societies as christian.

Well, Christianity has been mobbed up with the state since the days of Constantine at least. Jehovah's Witnesses call the resultant ungainly beast "Christendom" and I think it is definitely worth making the distinction.

But you make a good point, I don't think there have been any hippie Jesus communes that killed in his name.

Speaking of Hitchens being retarded, I think it was him who said or repeated "it takes religion to make a good person do something bad." That is such an embarrassingly wrong assertion that it really tells you how blinded he was by resentment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

It all comes back to whether law is rooted in divine or human authority, doesn't it? Hence why America is a secular nation, and Russia is not: In America, law is rooted in divine authority, while in Russia, law is rooted in human authority.

Putin is trying to fix that but the harder he tries, the more he proves that the law is rooted in human authority. :ironicat:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

I reject the authority of the Council of Nicaea.

Well then not to be unkind, but I wonder how relevant you are to the discussion of what people and societies are or are not Christian.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

I figure I'm at least as relevant as an athiest :greenangel:

Atheists are only relevant in countries with functional governments.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Atheists are those who don't organize their primary community identifier around a religious association. In America, due to the collapse of community following desegregation within the trends towards suburbanization, atheism has taken on an anti-social moniker of identity.

As usual, the internet has bad, worthless and ineffectual people on it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

We don't want you.

It's attitudes like this that lead to misunderstandings. *lights torch*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

I do have to say that you guys do give me hope, I have had encounters including (one outside the internet) with Atheists who really seem fixated on Jesus was a myth, actually those encounters probably have made me a little bit of a dick when it comes to Atheists.

I actually think the message of Jesus is super important and we'd just be watching non-stop human sacrifice reality TV if it didn't exist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, 'murder' has a very long and pedantic jurisprudence debate around how you define it. God commanded that you shall not murder; he said little about refraining from killing others.

And that's why Christianity is better than Judaism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Tell me about the christians who don't murder others and have never been tempted to kill in the name of their idols.

(ignore royal filth at far left)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

*impossible to ignore royal filth during state develooment, for they will always be assholes and absolutists or weak and groveling pawns of nobles

Theres a reason why the Queen is the most important chess piece.

So we have to judge Jews on their most venal representatives' interactions with the state as well?

e:

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah she was certainly filth, forgiving the murderer of her husband, dedicating her life to helping the poor and selling all her possessions to accomplish that goal.

Too late! Takebacks don't count

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Now you're beginning to understand how America is a Judeo-Christian nation, SedanChair. Good for you, I'm glad for you.

We judge everyone in accordance with a divinely inspired law, and separate the law from human hands through a series of institutional layers.

I am in fact sick of your politics bullshit. Many religious people throughout history have nothing to do with gross power brokers and viziers like yourself, who smell of perfumed oils. They use their mystical perspective to help others. Please don't try to piggyback onto it with your hollow-eyed killer's lack of morality and say "waannnn, this is what religion is!" It's what being a toady is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Colonel J posted:

There are many people raised in religion who turn irreligious later in their life. Are there documented cases of the opposite, i.e. people who grow up irreligious and decide later to start following a religion?

Sure, sometimes I thought "I should just be a Catholic, that's where modern values all come from anyway." Then I saw what kind of positions it puts you in. Can't I just be a Jesuit?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

I want to be a skeleton :(

You will definitely be a skeleton. I thought this was the whole problem to begin with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

I had a nice night last night! I did some spiritual reflection and remembered just how deeply guilty I am in the eyes of God, and how everything I have is purely a result of his mercy.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cippalippus posted:

I don't think Kirye is a Catholic at all, frankly. He's making frequent and simple mistakes that can be easily recognized. If he actually is a Catholic, he's probably just joking or having a vast confusion about what is Christian faith.

You're right, he's a heretic who believes in prosperity gospel. This was shown.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

And that's actually what's becoming my main problem with the FFRF type stuff. The we don't believe in "gods" business. That's statement about a limited category of gods! Ruling out supernatural, old man in the sky types gods, that's easy. It's the gods that don't fit into that limited category like: freedom, money, wisdom, self, natural laws, etc. Those non-supernatural idols, they are much, much, nastier and very real. Defined and specific things seen as foundation of reality that we might have faith in, those gods need gone after too.

This is just accusing humanism of nihilism framed in a different way. "Strip away gods? Why don't you just strip away everything? Why not masturbate all day?" :smug: Only, if we actually strip away the literal belief in sky gods and leave the values we can temper with human reason, we might be less likely to sacrifice our firstborn son on an altar because we hallucinated.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

McDowell posted:

So what happens when these authoritarian Catholic girls get married?

The gloves come off. pissing, you name it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Actually they aren't being nihilistic. I am. I'm the one being destructive of created values and meaning.

You shouldn't though, because humanistic values are backed by evidence. If you're gonna label "doing what works and lets people get along and have good brain feelings and food to eat" as "created values" as a way to liken it to flogging yourself on Ashura, I would argue that you're being insincere.

• Locked thread