Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, but the only one listed as being unforgivable is Blaspheming the Holy Ghost, whatever that means.

I recall being taught that as part of my Catholic schoolboy upbringing. And it really puts you in a tough spot. Just one little stray thought, maybe not even intentional, but you could easily think it just because the idea of thinking it is on your mind because you're trying NOT to think it, and if you slip up, you're definitively hosed. Just one stray thought. It's like...

How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to eradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Valiantman posted:

That's some weird way to interpret that part. Stray thoughts? Generally, the rule of the thumb I've been taught in multiple occations is that if you're worried about Blaspheming the Holy Ghost (interesting translation there, I wonder what is the original word...), you have nothing to worry about.

I don't know. I'm prepared to admit that maybe I was absent from school the day they covered the part about being worried about it. Or maybe I was just preoccupied gazing at this girl I had a crush on. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it would have stuck with me if I'd heard that particular detail.

What did stick with me was the idea that what we think can be a sin.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Michael Jackson posted:

so you did not bother reading and learning yourself? then you might have a lot of misconceptions.

I was six years old when all this was going on. By the time I got old enough to start finding books so I could read about it on my own, I had so many doubts about all kinds of other stuff that didn't make sense to me that I was ready to throw the whole thing out the window.

• Locked thread