Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't give Double Fine money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

the game actually uses the same engine as brutal legends lmbo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here's a brutal legend: [recants df-9 dev history]

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

oddium posted:

here's a brutal legend: [recants df-9 dev history]

yikes

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

i can't wait for them to announce that they won't finish it, it's gonna be epic

The massive chalice is filled with poo poo.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
get this guys: they're called Double Fine because they fine you...twice!!!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I bought psychonauts for 3 dollars years ago and I still feel ripped off

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
BIG CON TAIN ER
BIG CON TAIN ER
BIG CON TAIN ER

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
edit tane er

Dec 26, 2012

lmao

Drachenreiter
May 6, 2007

I want you to stick that green spotted egg up my ass so I can incubate it
Lmao This a month or so after abandoning another game still in progress. God Bless.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Is it fascism yet posted:

double fine and telltale games are fail, and aids.

What's wrong with Telltale? Seriously asking cause I don't want aids.

I'm glad Double Fine are taking money from retards again rather than finishing Broken Age

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

What's wrong with Telltale? Seriously asking cause I don't want aids.

have you played their games

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
This game looks like XCOM, except nowhere near as cool, but good luck doublefine, I dont really care either way.

Dec 26, 2012

looks like it could be cool, hell if im gonna buy an early access or at-release game from doublefine though

Melandor
Apr 28, 2007

What happened with/to Broken AGe

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Melandor posted:

they spent $3 million on hiring elijah wood and jack black

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Great Joe posted:

Sizeable Goblet

:fh:

Dec 26, 2012

Melandor posted:

i havent really been following it because idgaf about adventure games but im gonna guess that instead of doing what they were going to they spent a shitload of money and time on dumb poo poo instead of actually making or fixing anything

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

They were waiting on Tim Shafer to finish writing the second half of it until a month or so ago.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Massive Failass

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Bobby The Rookie posted:

They were waiting on Tim Shafer to finish writing the second half of it until a month or so ago.

"Here you guys go, first half of the script"

"That's cool, when will we get the second half of it to finish the game boss?"

"Ten months after the release date."

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I think they get high when they make the games, and that's why the games are so weird and they are so sketchy.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I hope this will end up good because it looks like a fantasy xcom, but I'm super doubtful. Pretty glad I didn't give them KS money.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

A Meat posted:

I hope this will end up good because it looks like a fantasy xcom, but I'm super doubtful. Pretty glad I didn't give them KS money.
The combat's really barebones right now and there's no chance it'll ever have as many tactical options as something like XCOM even when it's fully released, but the macro-level dynasty/hereditary stuff is pretty dang cool- I'd like it if someone would pair it with a deeper strategy game.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
At some point Nintendo is going to make a Fire Emblem game that does the same thing as this but better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

At some point Nintendo is going to make a Fire Emblem game that does the same thing as this but better.
they did. in 1996.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Endorph posted:

they did. in 1996.

Yeah Genealogy of the Holy War and Awakening both had a similar thing, but only with a single generation. They're also the most popular and best selling Fire Emblem games so I don't think they're going to drop that mechanic again any time soon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

Yeah Genealogy of the Holy War and Awakening both had a similar thing, but only with a single generation. They're also the most popular and best selling Fire Emblem games so I don't think they're going to drop that mechanic again any time soon.
the original plan for genealogy was 3 gens but then they realized they were on the SNES

anyway since FE's thing is having predefined characters, not a random name and a list of traits like this or X-COM, i dont think you could have any more than 3 gens before it got way out of hand and impossible to sort out. FE4 & FE13 managed to have some conversations/lines that changed based on who the parents were, but you couldn't do that at all if you had a dozen generations to sort out. Not to mention with a bunch of generations each one would only be a few maps long and that'd give you no real time to get attached to the characters even in sheer gameplay terms, or sort out who should be banging who.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

the pitch for this game sounded pretty cool but after watching the giant bomb and northernlion quick looks of it, i think it's gonna be garbage. maybe they'll fire brad muir and he can go work for GB instead since he is apparently a lot better at being a cool dude than he is as making video games

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Endorph posted:

the original plan for genealogy was 3 gens but then they realized they were on the SNES

anyway since FE's thing is having predefined characters, not a random name and a list of traits like this or X-COM, i dont think you could have any more than 3 gens before it got way out of hand and impossible to sort out. FE4 & FE13 managed to have some conversations/lines that changed based on who the parents were, but you couldn't do that at all if you had a dozen generations to sort out. Not to mention with a bunch of generations each one would only be a few maps long and that'd give you no real time to get attached to the characters even in sheer gameplay terms, or sort out who should be banging who.

Phantasy Star III was a similar gimmick in non-tactical RPG form. Had the same problem though too with some characters/generations just having like 0 development or weird points where it just randomly said "Ok which of these two random girls does the main guy marry? Ok his story is over now."

I was kinda bummed out DF didn't make a cool space dwarf fortress. It looked like it was going in a good direction months ago.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

elf help book posted:

have you played their games

some of them. I liked them.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The combat's really barebones right now and there's no chance it'll ever have as many tactical options as something like XCOM even when it's fully released, but the macro-level dynasty/hereditary stuff is pretty dang cool- I'd like it if someone would pair it with a deeper strategy game.

poo poo, I just want an XCOM with wizards and I want it to be good.

basically every strategy game could have a version of it with wizards and it would kick rear end.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Vargs posted:

the pitch for this game sounded pretty cool but... it's gonna be garbage.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
early asses

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
did you know? only 25% of early access games introduced since the program's debut on steam have been finished and released!

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

goblets > chalices

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cyra posted:

did you know? only 25% of early access games introduced since the program's debut on steam have been finished and released!

i did not know, ty

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ForeverSmug posted:

goblets > chalices
mods please rename game to big goblet

• Locked thread