Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I want to make bread without wheat flour, this, of course, has problems. WIthout wheat gluten, a lot of breads are impossible to make.

What I'd like to do is make a 100% barley flour loaf and add in vital wheat gluten in the mix so it can trap the yeast crafted air bubbles like a standard loaf of bread. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Adding gluten into a non-wheat bread to get an actual loaf?

I've tried the whole baking powder/quickbread deal and I'm not after the dense loaf texture that they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It works! I've done it with rye flour to make a dark, dense, rye loaf that doesn't rely on wheat flour.

When doing calculations, treat vital wheat gluten as 73% gluten (because most brands are about that percentage).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It works! I've done it with rye flour to make a dark, dense, rye loaf that doesn't rely on wheat flour.

When doing calculations, treat vital wheat gluten as 73% gluten (because most brands are about that percentage).

God that sounds fantastic! OK! I'm gonna do it! (can you share your rye loaf recipe? I'd love to try that next!)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It was a pretty simple loaf, 72% hydration (but rye absorbs more water than wheat, keep that in mind) with a chunk of preferment. No enrichment or anything else. I did toss in some soaked nuts and seeds, and use an egg wash (with a buttermilk wash after it came out of the oven).

• Locked thread