Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optilux
Feb 8, 2004
Gather unto Me, my children...We must all become as Light
Live in a 2 bed flat, with 2 cats, no garden.

Both have lived here since they were kittens and are now five years old - they share a litter, no problems at all. Litter gets scooped out every day, and replaced completely once a week. The worst that happens is that if the litter is dirty one of them will pee in the bath.

Until a few weeks ago, one of the cats peed on the duvet in my second bedroom (which fortunately is in use as an office rather than somewhere to sleep). Its extremely full bladder writes off both the duvet and the mattress, so I chuck both out. Put it down as an unfortunate one off.

Cat returns to using litter.

I eventually replace the mattress and duvet, at which point the cat promptly urinates on both. So that is a second mattress and duvet written off.

By now I am getting a bit worried, so I shut the bedroom up temporarily - cat uses the litter, but makes occasional detours to the bedroom door and scratches on it meowing in a kind of "where's my toilet?" kind of way. This lasts a couple of days, and then it gets used to the idea and leaves off.

For the last couple of weeks there has been a mattress on the floor (no duvet) and it does not pee on it.

So after a fortnight off so I think everything is OK and finally replace the bedding - this was today - and within about three hours, the cat has peed on the duvet again (third duvet written off). Good thing I am buying the cheapest duvets I can find!

What am I to do here - The cat seems happy enough to use the litter when the second bedroom is not set up - but as soon as I lay down a duvet it will pee on it. But it will not be much of a second bedroom without bedding, will it? As I said up top, this was not a problem for the first five years of the cat's life!

At no point has it threatened the main bedroom, thank goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optilux
Feb 8, 2004
Gather unto Me, my children...We must all become as Light
Also let me know what you think of my plan of attack, which is:

1. Replace everything (again)
2. Do not let cat in
3. Sleep in bed for a week or so, allowing the cats to come in and sleep at the foot of it (which they do in the main bedroom)
4. Hope that this establishes the new bedding as a place of sleep and friendship, rather a toilet, or a territory that must be staked out with piss.

If that does not work and I cannot stop the cat, then I may have to steer clear of setting up the second bed other than when someone stays over.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Optilux posted:

Also let me know what you think of my plan of attack, which is:

1. Replace everything (again)
2. Do not let cat in
3. Sleep in bed for a week or so, allowing the cats to come in and sleep at the foot of it (which they do in the main bedroom)
4. Hope that this establishes the new bedding as a place of sleep and friendship, rather a toilet, or a territory that must be staked out with piss.

If that does not work and I cannot stop the cat, then I may have to steer clear of setting up the second bed other than when someone stays over.

Mmmyep, sounds like you're on the right track. It sounds like a territorial thing. You might want to sleep on the new blanket in your room first, kinda break it in. Also, buy plastic liners for the mattresses, they go on under the sheets. Keeps the matress safe from liquids and little critters. Unless this is a futon you're talking about, I don't think there are liners for those.

Maybe also try a Feliway plugin, those release soothing 'everything is awesome and also mine already no need to piss everywhere' magic hormones.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Take the cat duvet shopping with you next time so you can get one you both like

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Yeah, doesn't actually sound like he's marking territorially. Unless he's spraying everywhere, it's not an issue of ~his territory~. Multiple suggestions/possible issues:

1. You need more than one litter box for two cats. It may have worked up until now, but generally for two cats you should have at least two boxes.

2. Try adding Cat Attract additive to both litter boxes (seriously, get a second one) to coerce your cat into using it reliably.

3. Take your cat to the vet. Peeing in inappropriate spots can be a sign of urinary tract issues. He could have crystals that cause painful urination, which leads cats to seek out soft places to pee, like blankets, laundry piles, rugs, etc.

4. Stop throwing poo poo out just because your cat peed on it. I mean drat, what are you, made of money? Get Nature's Miracle and apply to the affected area, or add to the wash with linens. Someone else's suggestion of a plastic mattress cover like they use with potty training children is also a good idea until you get the situation under control, rather than throw out a whole fuckin' mattress. NM will help remove the smell to both your senses and the cat's, so he won't be as inclined to pee there again in the future since it won't smell like pee, and it has the added benefit of being cheaper than a new mattress.

5. Close doors to places you don't want the cat peeing. You mentioned having it closed at one point, but it happened again so you just have to be more diligent.

6. Take your cat to the vet. Repeating this because it could very well be a medical issue, particularly if it's a new behavior. Urinary issues can also escalate quickly and require emergency care, so don't wait.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Serella posted:

Yeah, doesn't actually sound like he's marking territorially. Unless he's spraying everywhere, it's not an issue of ~his territory~. Multiple suggestions/possible issues:

1. You need more than one litter box for two cats. It may have worked up until now, but generally for two cats you should have at least two boxes.

2. Try adding Cat Attract additive to both litter boxes (seriously, get a second one) to coerce your cat into using it reliably.

3. Take your cat to the vet. Peeing in inappropriate spots can be a sign of urinary tract issues. He could have crystals that cause painful urination, which leads cats to seek out soft places to pee, like blankets, laundry piles, rugs, etc.

4. Stop throwing poo poo out just because your cat peed on it. I mean drat, what are you, made of money? Get Nature's Miracle and apply to the affected area, or add to the wash with linens. Someone else's suggestion of a plastic mattress cover like they use with potty training children is also a good idea until you get the situation under control, rather than throw out a whole fuckin' mattress. NM will help remove the smell to both your senses and the cat's, so he won't be as inclined to pee there again in the future since it won't smell like pee, and it has the added benefit of being cheaper than a new mattress.

5. Close doors to places you don't want the cat peeing. You mentioned having it closed at one point, but it happened again so you just have to be more diligent.

6. Take your cat to the vet. Repeating this because it could very well be a medical issue, particularly if it's a new behavior. Urinary issues can also escalate quickly and require emergency care, so don't wait.

Yes to the vet, and to Nature's Miracle, with a caveat--after my roommate got a second cat, that cat was pretty territorial and kept coming in my room (which was my cat's territory) to pee on the carpet. I emptied at least two bottles of the stuff on the floor with no real change. The only thing that ended up working was 2:1 hot water:vinegar. So keep that in mind if the NM doesn't do the trick.

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

Maybe you need to change the litter more frequently? I have 2 cats and two litter boxes and even if I scoop twice a day, one of them will not use them if the litter is more than three days old because it starts smelling like pee.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
stop buying new duvets and smear cat piss over your body

this is your life now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

thatbastardken posted:

stop buying new duvets and smear cat piss over your body

this is your life now

OP forget all the poo poo I wrote and do this instead

• Locked thread