Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
You, too, can beat the poo poo out of Bo Chamberlain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Tavarin posted:

The St. Louis Gaedels have joined up.

Welcome to the AL South! jeff has won the division 19 seasons in a row. You've been warned.

Nerokerubina posted:

i really love the lottery you have to play at the start of every season "hey are you going to have to set 3 million dollars on fire or not" that's a good as hell part of this game

agreedo, gently caress FI hiring

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

^True!

Scrotos posted:

Are all of these openings real openings? Or are some people coming back?

EB and Twitter's @duyarvish are allegedly both returning, leaving openings in just Tacoma and Baltimore. I think. Who's our new friend in Austin, TMB?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

CJL already is back in Boston

And here's EB:

gently caress; beaten

uublog fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 18, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

Psh

Yes, Marvin Watson was brought in as a free agent coach at 500k

BECAUSE I LET HIM GO UGHHHHHHH

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

thanks stimpy

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I really need to know what Julian Melendez decides w/r/t his option before I can know what I have available, ughh Julian quit taking so long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

Maybe if I play that song enough by the time I :f5: again he'll have made up his mind

uublog fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 22, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Scrotos posted:

If he is still on your option board after roll he has accepted his side of a mutual/player option.

On the option report page it still says status pending and is not allowing me accept/decline

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Budgets haven't been set yet, can't until then

Good point but I'd think it would say somewhere, either on the option report, or on his transaction page that he accepted his end, like how retirements show up immediately after rollover

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Weird. I got a message about it, too, so I guess now I'm 200% sure he's returning :yaycloud:

11th hour budget change to add $3m to coaching because I would've been left with barely $1m to hire a FI, which would no

gently caress you Wilt Durham :argh:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Hahaha gently caress me I forgot automatic arbitration was at PM2 Part 2, rather than AM Part 1 so I'm stuck with Kurt Cardona for another season, who's made all the more useless by my Al Lopez acquisition. Yay depth?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Popero posted:

What's up in former Hartford dudes

Your team is now in the hands of a 5-time WS winner (2 in Hardball Central, 3 in something called 'Plumpy Rules!!!!!!111') with 96 previous seasons under his belt from 5 total worlds. So I guess AV has competition again! Especially if chutwig's continues to improve

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

:wtc: is going on tonight

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Scrotos posted:

I am coming for you :black101:

poo poo am I the team to beat in the division now? Goddamn I need to make some moves

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Scrotos posted:

Well I am also coming for Jeff. I was behind both of you.

Right but with Jeff "teetering on the edge of a fire sale" and trading three offensive starters for a lesser starter and a prospect that removes a bit of the competition

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

god drat do I love arthur trades lmao

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Scrotos posted:

Seriously. You just robbed Art blind, then took him out behind a wood shed beat him up, then robbed him again for the fun of it.

Yeah like, come on Art. You could've gotten better pitchers from me for the two of them

e: oh poo poo, I forgot I'm not allowed to make fun of Art's Bad Trades anymore, disregard!

uublog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 28, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Nerokerubina posted:

dang why did i have to be the one person who made a Probably Bad Trade with art

That is not a bad trade for you. It is, at worst, an even trade for you.

e: in addition to the Todd Davis trade arthur also just gave Albert Mangual 5 years/$33.6M so I guess he is doing some kind of thing and I just don't know what that kind of thing is

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 28, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

gardenald posted:

Did not think that I'd land him. I was sure someone went to five years and this is definitely too much money but still :woop:

Wait what the gently caress I did go to five years on him and also I was leading this morning??? :confused:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Oh gently caress you gardenald, I offered Blanco 5 years/$60M, with a player option and no-trade, and you beat me with 4 years/$51.5M plus a $10M bonus, a mutual, and no-trade. Suddenly I have extra money that idk what to do with

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

lmao if I had known I would lose out on Blanco I'd have just given Louie "I wanna dip my balls in it" Howard 2 years/$10M or whatever the gently caress to beat Jeff, goddammit that's a bargain

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Mark "gently caress Mark Cobb" Cobb

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I've now made just two trades so far, and signed a bunch of okay-ish FA bench bats and relievers, what a strange, uneventful off-season for me after a probably-fluky 100-win S29

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I think Rivera should find a less lovely agent who actually believes in his abilities and poo poo. gently caress you Louis Watson, he can be that good if he wants to

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god art has 5 pitchers on his 25-man and one of them is literally Mark "gently caress Mark Cobb" Cobb. Only one of them is actually a starter, too, but whatever, that's beside the point

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

There are several guys in the Rule V who I'd trade any 5 minor leaguers in my system for

Me too, but for me, at least, it's just as much or more so because there's not really anyone left in my farm that I really give a poo poo about anymore

This is what ML contention feels like, and it's :nice:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

I mean, there is always the option that we don't take those players and cripple a franchise run by a new owner.

It's a learning experience

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Your Season 30 New York Metropolitans:

Pictured from left to right:

David Lucano, SP
Aurelio Santos, SP
Don Magruder, 3B
Anibal Beltre, SP
Sean Stein, 2B
Wally Millwood, RP

Chip Steele, LF

Pablo Espinosa, CF
Chipper Good, OF
Ronnie Harper, SS
John Swindell, SP
Rod Whitman, OF
Willie Arencibia, C

Hahahha this is incredible

e: I had 11 guys on my Rule 5 list that I was targeting, and I got the last one and I'll take it because I had the 6th most wins last season and anyone who fell to me isn't really very good anyway. Which is true, he isn't. He's a DH who hits lefties and draws walks, and I already have like five of those skill sets on my team. I don't even know why I'm keeping him, half my offense is extremely versatile, the other half I'm gonna have to force out of the DH spot

uublog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 30, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I hosed up a different rule 5 thing each of my first like three or four seasons, it's a tremendous pain in the rear end to learn how to do it

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

That's also what I've done for Syracuse/Ottawa, if only because I basically recruited him. And because it's really hard to clean up after dave/willie's damage

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I know there's no rhyme or reason to spring training schedules, but I just came off 10 road games in a row, 8 of them against NL teams, and that seems like a lot

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

congrats in advance on your 12th 100-loss Dimaggio season, Art!

congrarts

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm going to make the playoffs in Clemens, probably with under 70 wins, and you'll never be able to take that away from me :)

Fun fact: the only teams you have a better record are the three others in the AL East and the team the scrotos took over. You're tied with Fresno for 5th-worst record. You're on pace for 64.8 wins, which means you have to finish the season 19-33 or better to not lose 100 here, too. Oh my god that division is so abysmal.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I took an abandoned team on a 13 game losing streak, signed AAA pitchers and called up two good prospects who were ready and that catapulted me to second place. If I had the team from the start of the season it would definitely be in 1st. Whoever takes the team after this season will have a good opportunity to win a lovely division.

I unironically think the same thing about my team. Between these two franchises, there have been five different owners the last two seasons, which is an incomprehensible turnover rate, but somewhat explains the also-incomprehensible 36.75 wins the division is averaging 110 games into the season. That's a .334 winning percentage. :psyduck:

The first-year owner who had my team started 13-7, but then stopped logging in around early November, at which point the team went 7-56, including a 21-game losing steak, until I took over. They've only been 11-16 under my tutelage, and considering I wouldn't have weighed them down with all of the 3-year deals the rookie gave to 6-year FA's, I probably could've been .500, at worst, with relative ease, if I'd started the season.

Back to Dimaggio chat, I'm kind of considering extending Benny Carreras?? What a wacky world

e: so Art is gonna get a top-10 pick and a playoff spot, right? making the playoffs doesn't affect first round draft order, I think? lol

I'm gonna get two top-10 picks though :smug:

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 5, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

Playoff status makes no difference in draft order. Dryb won the world series one season here in DiMaggio and had a protected pick the next season.

I don't think it could've been dryb, he won 90+ for 90% of his AL West reign, from S17-25, and won the WS in 20 and 23...

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 5, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

He had an 81-81 team in there. I thought that one won the world series.

oh it was the S16 WS when he lost at 81-81 and had the 16th pick in the S17 draft.

he took houston strickland lol

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I found this in the S29 thread, and it's still true now lmao

uublog posted:

I've made the playoffs in 100% of the seasons [Tracy Merrick] has spent as a Flying Squirrel, obviously he's my Key to Victory

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

I guess Teddy would rather mortally wound himself than pitch on my team. Thanks a lot, Teddy.

Well wouldn't you? :colbert:

you're gonna go from 100 wins to 100 losses in two seasons and it's going to be majestic. I can't wait to watch this tire fire

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

What's even more bullshit is only four votes each for Abraham Foulke and ALL-TIME SAVES LEADER RAMIRO CERVANTES. And only two for GENE POOLE.

smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

MEET THE

S30 RICHMOND FLYING SQUIRRELS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6FXpaECY8

code:
Player				PA	HR	SB	AVG/OBP/SLG
Barker, Elston			616	26	26	313/385/545 (CLE)
Cardona, Kurt			580     19	18	233/300/398
Carreras, Benny			516     2	18	279/359/315
Fassero, Bob			555     20	1	293/382/459
Forrest Fire, Don loving	215	1	2	227/298/268
Gomez, Luis			590	44	0	288/339/576
Hallman, Pat			686	34	1	262/338/467
Lopez, Al			619	8	13	236/321/314 (STL)
Masao, Dennis			301	7	7	255/322/387
Merced, Gio			485	28	0	357/435/652 (CH1 AAA)
Merrick, Tracy			201	7	0	240/318/380
Mendez, Alex			535	21	3	346/471/551 the AL MVP of my heart
Santos, Jorge			631	16	19	288/355/431 (POR)
Wise, Eric			636	13	25	278/330/414

code:
Player			IP	SO	BB	OAV	ERA	WHIP
Arcia, Enrique		81.0	60	16	.235	3.67	1.09
Dotel, Al		144.1	121	38	.194	2.24	0.98
Drew, Jerry		73.0	54	17	.268	4.93	1.29
Johnson, Renyel		85.0	54	22	.269	3.81	1.28
Lopez, David		107.2	78	43	.259	4.51	1.39
McKnight, Brett		71.2	44	22	.221	3.14	1.13 (PIT)
Morandini, Chip		190.2	147	68	.251	3.30	1.32
Nixon, Max		48.2	39	18	.250	4.07	1.36 (JAC)
Perez, Damaso		230.1	170	62	.230	2.50	1.12
Silva, Francisco	59.1	41	27	.313	5.92	1.79
Walsh, Cla		157.2	158	43	.199	2.34	0.99
This is probably the least turnover I've ever had from one season to the next, but apparently something worked last season to get me to 100 wins. I think one of this team's biggest strengths is depth and versatility; in the case of injury, ineffectiveness, durability issues, or to play to the weaknesses of an opponent, I can move players as needed and still be well off.

The addition of Barker, thanks to the successful Julian Melendez Reclamation Project, hopefully provides another hitter to love with Mendez, Gomez, and sometimes Fassero. Hallman suffered a significant decline in performance last season, but still hit 34 homers with an .800+ OPS and was able to play more regularly than most anyone else. Plus, declining contract values make it a lot easier to work with. Lopez becomes the new Reclamation Project, albeit one I'm putting a lot more years and money into believing, but along with Carreras, Cardona (he of the nearly 20-20 season), and Gold Glove Third Baseman Wise, he will at the very least provide plus defense. I signed Santos to a one-year deal like two days ago really just as insurance, and to not have to play Cardona everyday again or Masao in CF regularly. Hey, maybe this will be the year I finally give Merrick enough PT!

The rotation, as has become the norm by now, will be led by Perez and Walsh being awesome, followed by a more-than-capable Morandini and Arcia, who had a nice rookie year before he imploded in relief in game 4 of the play-in series. Drew is returning from arm surgery and is not as good as he used to be, so in rare times when I need a fifth starter, I'll probably alternate between him, Johnson, and/or 15-game-winner Lopez. I spent in FA to improve the bullpen, even though I know it will still be bad (4 years for Nixon lol) but Silva seemingly forgot how to pitch in the wake of his elbow surgery like three seasons ago. But at least Dotel will still own and McKnight is only on a one-year deal.

I'm incredibly fearful of scrotos's team this season, and I really believe that he'll do what I could only do half of and end Jeff's reign. But I could see myself losing in the wild card round again to a team that's not actually better than mine.

:effort:

uublog fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread