Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I have a neighbor kid who is 11 years old and mildly autistic. He's smart as hell and very interested in computers and phones so I would really like to push him to get into coding. He's been asking me to buy my iPhone 5 since I've upgraded to an iPhone 6 and I want to just offer it to him but incentivize it by asking him to write some basic programs.

I know there is Code Academy, and I'm sure there are some other similar beginner-coding resources out there but I was hoping to find out if there are any programs that are specifically built with kids in mind?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Not a resource, but read this, it's very good: http://worrydream.com/LearnableProgramming/

Edit: Scratch is for kids. It's built in Smalltalk, which is supposed to be for everyone, and the two people I know who learned Smalltalk did so as kids and love it deeply, so v0v

Bit higher up: Racket's great for learning, and the Gregor Kiczales course lectures etc should be accessible through Coursera (he's a good teacher, maybe a kid could cope with that). Why's Poignant Guide is good, the Ruby beginner stuff on CodeAcademy is taken from that.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 21, 2014

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
Processing.js is a pretty accessible learning environment. Khan Academy is using it for their intro to programming stuff (also a good resource).

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Before going onto a real usable language, perhaps something that would just teach the concepts of object oriented programming visually would be good. Karel++ is really good with that, at least with me. I'm not sure how popular it is these days though. You control a robot on a grid with code to complete some kind of task.

http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/karel.html#simulators

e: I know those screen shots are really ancient, but I'm sure there's something out there that would run on a modern system or browser.

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing
I've been looking for something similar for my friend's kid. He's got a real bug up his rear end to make a video game and seemed interested even after I explained/showed him the reality of it. I've seen a Learning Java with Minecraft software package that looked interesting, but maybe I should start with something else.

Karel++ does look interesting. Does anyone else have recommendations that could skew toward an interactive game or a learning program specific to the context of games?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I organize reviews for a publisher of IT literature. Most of our readers and reviewers are professional developers so when we start working on a book for kids and beginners, we often lack reviewers of that profile. If there's anyone like that reading the thread who would be interested in reviewing a book in the making, let me know. We are currently preparing kid/beginner books on iOS Programming, JavaScript, and Raspberry Pi with Python.

PM or ozha at manning dot com

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Before going onto a real usable language, perhaps something that would just teach the concepts of object oriented programming visually would be good. Karel++ is really good with that, at least with me. I'm not sure how popular it is these days though. You control a robot on a grid with code to complete some kind of task.

http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/karel.html#simulators

e: I know those screen shots are really ancient, but I'm sure there's something out there that would run on a modern system or browser.

This is how my AP Computer Science teacher started us off in the first 2 weeks of class, and I think it really helped a lot. It's probably the perfect way to teach younger kids, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
You might look into Racket as the language and How to Design Programs to go with it.

Racket is a variant of Scheme Lisp, and HtDP is written for Scheme, so it mostly works. DrRacket is a nice tool to get instant feedback on running things, and Racket has tutorials on the website as well.

HtDP is written for perhaps a higher reading level (depending on how he reads), but you might look into it. I did not learn it when I was that age (I muddled through QBasic back then) but I've read good things about learning Lisp around that age from others.

• Locked thread