Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
unit testing?
yes
no
lol
choo choo
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

is it important? my boss was wondering, maybe we need to get in on this "continuous integration" choo choo train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
only so your github has a cool travis ci button

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
im testin my unit right now!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my unit is mint in box, never been touched

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
G-UNIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4rq2d5FXQ4&t=52s

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Your unit failed the test lmao

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I tested my unit in your mom last night

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

gonna load test ur mum with my unit m8

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
you can test my unit any time

horny babes only please
my genitals

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

im going to cum inside your mother

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

faxlore posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's worthwhile on certain types of project, and a monumental waste of time on other types of project. also, get in that poo poo early if you want to do it. it's a big pain in the rear end to retrofit unit tests on a legacy project. unit testing drives the way you might lay out your code. it's usually a good thing.

if your project exposes an api then lol yes unit test that poo poo. throw in some integration testing while youre at it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

it's worthwhile on certain types of project, and a monumental waste of time on other types of project. also, get in that poo poo early if you want to do it. it's a big pain in the rear end to retrofit unit tests on a legacy project. unit testing drives the way you might lay out your code. it's usually a good thing.

if your project exposes an api then lol yes unit test that poo poo. throw in some integration testing while youre at it.

it's a monolithic java enterprise app thats been in development for over a decade lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mishaq posted:

it's a monolithic java enterprise app thats been in development for over a decade lol

lost cause for the most part then. unless you want to spice up your resume with "junit" for your next job. you'd be better off learning javascript tho.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

faxlore posted:

idgi

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

lost cause for the most part then. unless you want to spice up your resume with "junit" for your next job. you'd be better off learning javascript tho.

im not a programmer, i just indirectly deal with our development staff sometimes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

they seem nice and cheerful for being stuck working on horrible software no one cares about :shobon:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mishaq posted:

they seem nice and cheerful for being stuck working on horrible software no one cares about :shobon:

time to put an end to that by demanding 100% code coverage in 3 months. tell them you want a weekly burndown report.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

akadajet posted:

time to put an end to that by demanding 100% code coverage in 3 months. tell them you want a weekly burndown report.

burndown in your mom

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new boss is from a heavy unit testing place and he was all "every time you fix a bug you should write a test for it and add it to the testing suite" and we were like lol, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

new boss is from a heavy unit testing place and he was all "every time you fix a bug you should write a test for it and add it to the testing suite" and we were like lol, no.

it's actually pretty cool if you can make this work, but trying to bolt it onto a team of lazy programmers is a mega uphill battle that's just going make everyone mad at each other

• Locked thread